“What a great hotel!”

Barcelo Maya Caribe
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
“What a great hotel!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband went for 10 days in January, we had a great time. From our arrival the service was fantastic, the meals were good and ive never seen cleaners work so hard!! We weren't too sure about the entertainment but well....you cannot please everyone. We will definitely return to barcelo maya caribe and maybe bring the kids. Roll on next time :)

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Melanie G
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Caribe, responded to this review, January 29, 2017
Dear Melanie G,

Many thanks for your full review and your comments which are very important for us. We invite you to visit our website to know the new Barceló Maya Caribe

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Polish first
Elkridge, Maryland, United States
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Just returned from a 5 day stay, resort is beautiful and well kept. Staff is usally rude and unattentive even when being tipped well. Drinks are watered down (saw bartenders sneaking in back room with 1/2 bottle of vodka returned in a miniute with a full bottle) Breakfast buffet is very good but lunch and dinner buffets are poor, Reserve resturants were good not great won't go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Don M
Dear Don M,

southamopton
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed at the Caribe between 20-03-2012 and 03-04-2013. We opted for a private transfer from the Airport to the Hotel and Booked up with http://www.canadatransfers.com/ only $98.00 USD for the round trip for 3 people. The trip to the hotel was a breeze especially with the Beers we requested ;-).

Check-in at the Hotel was quick and courteous and we were allocated 2 rooms on the top floor as previously requested, unfortunately they could not supply us with rooms next door to each other but this was not a problem (gave me some peace when the wife went of to have a smoke with her friend). The room was bright and colourfully decorated. King size bed, Mini fridge bar filled with Beer, Soft drinks, Water and peanuts, Coffee machine, Flat Screen TV (very limited English/US channels), the usual table/chairs and chest of Draws Included in the room. The balcony was small but big enough to sit and enjoy your morning coffee. There is a wardrobe in the room as you come in the main door. Inside the wardrobe you will find a safe (please remember to use this, not that we experienced any problems), Iron and Ironing board.

The bathroom consists of the usual suite of Shower/Bath Toilet, Bidet. Sink with mirrors on 3 sides to help the Ladies get their hair just right and check the progress of that all important tan. The bathroom is stocked with the usual amenities' but most will prefer to use their own.

The Hotel was fairly quiet so we were surprised that we struggled to get the Bookings to the A 'la carte's we were hoping to get.

The first few days at the Hotel were wonderful and we enjoyed the quite on the beach during the Day and being able to relax at the lobby bar in the evening. Unfortunately the ideal was shattered after a few days with the arrival of several groups of Spring breakers, I have never met such a bunch of self centred, inconsiderate, rude people in all my years of travelling. I have had quite a few trips to the States over the years and have always enjoyed the company of the locals were ever We have stayed there. The Groups had chaperones but they did not care about their behaviour as long as it was not inconveniencing them. If there was ever an incentive to get out the Hotel it was these people, luckily for Us we are not ones to just sit on the beach for a fortnight and roast.

Outside the Hotel the atmosphere was much better. We arranged various excursions our self's to go explore Tulum ruins, Zip lining and snorkelling in cenotes. We also arranged with a taxi driver we got to know to have a days tour of the area with him, as well as going to the main tourist attactions like Coba and Chichen Itza but also Ekbalam, VALLADOLID, Tulum village and a small private cenote. All in all a fantastic time and only cost us $200.00 with tip for 3 of us from 7:30am to 7:30pm.

We done a couple of trips to Akumal Bay, great place for snorkelling with the Turtles and just to sit and while away a couple of lazy hours also has lots of great places to eat and drink. We took a taxi to Playa de Carmen once during the Day and once at Night, found this to be a very busy resort with plenty of night life, restaurants, bars and shopping great place to haggle in the smaller Jewellery shops for silver and gold.

Over all the hotel was fine, a bit repetitive in the Buffet and sometimes hot dishes only just warm.
The A 'la Carte's were hit and miss depending on the staff on duty. No problems with the front desk in fact found them very helpful. House keeping were brilliant if it was not convenient to clean your room they would agree a time to come back an do it so as not to disturb you. Need extra coffee just ask them you will get it with a smile. Fridge boy a bit inconsistent even though tipped regular.

For those Travelling with Firstchoice/Thomson good luck with the rep never got to see them from start to finish and believe me we tried. Had more luck with the American reps, always there and willing to help anyone.

Would have spent more time at the resort if not for the spring breakers but then would not have seen or done as much as we did.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank woolston wanderer
Dear woolston wanderer,

Hanover, Maryland
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Just returned from Riveria Maya and I have mixed feelings regarding this resort. As others have said the place is extremely clean and well kept and the beach is beautiful. Rooms are nice and maid service is good. Food is average except in the Spanish resturant located on site. If you are hoping for a good margarita and salsa this isn't the place! Beware of the humidity because most of the the resort is not air conditioned. My biggest complaints are the lack of friendly workers including the front desk and managers that you saw walking around in shirt and tie. I also found the visitors to be the rudest I've ever shared a resort with. And if you think that the all-inclusive includes good drinks, it won't happen here. I witnessed actions that support the feeling that they water down their liquor. So if you hope to get a buzz while relaxing inthe sun, it won't happen here.

Room Tip: We did not upgrade our room upon arrival and I'm glad we didn't The room was good.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Lovethesun822
Dear Lovethesun822,

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Date of trip: May 23-30, 2013. My wife and I just returned from a one week excursion to the Barcelo Beach and Caribe Mexico Resort. Our first time at this resort complex. PROS: the beach, sand and tranquility/warmth of the ocean is exceptional especially at this resort (there are 5 on the property). The pools are nice, but not great. The resort is at best, an hours drive from the airport. CONS: Rudolfo Canche, the waiter at Capitan Morgan's buffet. This individual enjoys serving guests water from a pitcher that he purposely covers with a white table napkin to hide the large bugs, yes bugs, he leaves floating in the water. I did not notice but my wife, who is fluent in Spanish, noticed them while he was holding the pitcher napkin side to me. When she inquired in Spanish what was in the pitcher he said nothing and denied his dastardly deed. Upon insistence from my wife that he show her the water, he relented, and apologized. Incredible. Later, we could see him joking about it with some of the other waiters. We reported this activity to Mario, our Apple Vacations rep, i do not know if any action was taken, so check the water pitcher. CONS: the food is not good. The staff is about 50% friendly 50% act like you inconvenience them or they just don't like their job. The rooms are ok, not great, but hey, you get what you pay for. My overall assessment is that the grounds are nice, the beach is good and pools are ok. The drinks are bottom shelf and good luck finding any other beer than Corona. If I was 18, I'd rate this destination higher, but I'm 38 and have done a fair amount of traveling and hotels. The one area that kills the rating is the staff. Again, overall unfriendly, unhelpful, kinda pissy attitude that I can only describe as feeling you are inconveniencing them. My conclusion is that the Barcelo starts its newer hires at this hotel and probably promotes the better ones to the other hotels on the property culminating with the Barcelo Palace. Just my opinion. Would I visit again? No. Too far from the airport, sub par food and mostly a rude staff. I'd opt for the Barcello Palace and just walk down to the Beach if I ever decided to stay at Barcelo again. However, we'll be back but staying closer to the airport.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel. If you must do Barcelo, do the Palace.
4 Thank Jim T
Dear Jim T,

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We've just got back from 2 weeks and I'm sorry to say we were glad to get home. Don't get me wrong, the resort and beach were lovely but the people were generally unfriendly, especially the concierge and reception. If you like filling in forms after every meal to mark how well the waiters have performed then this place is for you. The waiters try too hard for tips and a few times have taken my plate away before I have even finished my meal. This is not an all inclusive place as you have to pay extra for certain a la carte restaurants and drinks.
We went on a day trip to Chitchen Itza which was fantastic and had a stop off for lunch and swimming at a cenote where they filmed The Blue Lagoon and Cocoon. This is a load of rubbish as they were filmed in Jamaica and Florida as we have just found out. Nice cool swim though as it was boiling.
Make sure you take plenty of tips because they expect it everywhere.
If you go to the jewellery factory up the road, be prepared to take your credit card.
There are some lovely things but they follow you like a shadow which is very uncomfortable and when you don't buy anything they get a bit shirty.
We went to Playa Del Carmen by the collectivo minbus,and pretty much as soon as we got there my fiance was offered drugs and prostitutes were offering massages so we went straight back. Obviously this is nothing to do with the resort but not our bag.
As I say the resort is lovely and clean, the beach is gorgeous, and I have focused on the negatives but I am disappointed.
The food is good as there is something for everyone, lots of choice, and the a la carte restaurants which we didn't have to pay for, (Mexican and Spanish), were very nice.
This is just our personal experience and it was a nice holiday but would not go back

Room Tip: It doesn't matter which room you are in, you don't get an ocean view as the hotels are too f...
5 Thank Squishy17
Dear Squishy17,

Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

13th may - 27th may.
Let me start by saying the minority of negative reviews i do not understand. nit picking i say!

On arrival we were greeted by a champagne glass of tropical juice for a relatively quick check in. The bell boy took our suitcases to our room, which was just as i had expected! So cool and refreshing in the room compared to the 30 degree heat outside, which thorought the two week stay you start to appreciate a lot more. The maid did an excellent job daily of tidying our room, refreshing every towel and making the beds. Couldnt fault her one bit. We left her a small tip at the end of the holiday (same maid for the 2 weeks). All staff sayin 'hola' to you as you walk past, very sweet!

The complex itself is huge, the four hotels in one complex was easily accessible due to the trailer/ittle shuttle bus available if you wanted to take advantage of their pool or snacks at the bars!

Myself, boyfriend and the family preffered the colonial miriachi pool restaurant for snacks and lunch between 12:30-5pm compared to captain morgans beach restaurant which was at our pool. Captain morgans is also where the mexican restaurant is of the night time (the additional restaurant you can book in using your tickets given at check in). My family thought this was disgusting! The food was not at all nice, you would of thought mexican was there specialitity. The mexican themed night at the buffet resaurant at the hotel the same night (which me and my boyfriend went) was lovely. So much variety and taste! The spanish restaurant however, BEAUTIFUL! Best meal of the holiday, which we enjoyed on our last night. The waiters/waitresses give you plenty of time between courses and i even had seconds on my main meal (lamb chops, yummy!)
I cannot fault the waiters/waitresses in the buffet restaurant. By god they work so hard and for im assuming pennies! Carrying plates to our tables, constantly refilling drinks, pleasant and kind! Such a pleasure.

The buffet is general was lovely. i personally struggled at breakfast. Theres only so much cripsy bacon and toast (which was either breakable/crunchy/hard or really chewy and difficult to bite off) you can eat. Despite this however snacks start at 10:30 at the beach bars which was full of variety and i was not dissapointed! A wide range of hot food, cold food, fruit and desert for you to choose from. Not much on the childs section however which if you do have small kids chips could be their diet for two weeks. Great variety of drinks also!! My favourite: Strawberry dacquiri!

The beach... THE BEACH? WOW! I loved it.
It's amazing how your hotel and rooms are surrounded by basically a jungle, in a matter of steps you on a white sand beach and crystal blue sea. Excellent wildlife. We seen a coati, many iguanas, squirrels on the beach and a variety of beautiful birds!
I will WARN YOU however my nan did spot one snake on the path. Im assuming they dont get many wild snakes but theres always a possibility in such an environment so heads up!!

In the sea you were surrounded by countless fish, the odd turtle, sting rays... out on the pier even more fish! It was perfect temperature as so the pool was, perfect for snorkelling! I would advise to bring your own snorkel if you have one (like we did) as you can only rent one for 1 hour a day from the hotel (free of course). Also bringing a mask and snorkel will benefit you greatly on any other excursions or trips you choose to go on.

The pools were big, and by god were there plenty within the complex. We remained around the quiet pool to the right of the caribe hotel however a few seconds walk was to the other pool on the left were music was playing, activities and games were going on! A lot of fun!! Best of both worlds!!

The entertainment at night, i didnt enjoy so much. The rest of the family did. There was a different show every night of the week so again a lot of variety. I was in bed by 9:30pm and up for a nice walk along the beach for sunrise around 6:00am. So beautiful. It seemed perfect!

There were a lot of activities for you to do for FREE. Many water sports, sports in general like mini golf, table tennis, tennis, pitch & putt etc. All a lot of fun and great to kill time.

One thing i would say were the shops. Far too expensive, which is a shame but they got to make money right? Considering if you wanted any cheap disposable cameras or sun tan lotion the closest shops were situated in Playa Del Carmen around 20/30 mins away. Also everything gets charged to your hotel room, cheeky way of racking up a room bill at the end of the holiday especially after buying £20 body board!!

TIPS:
1. Cover yourself in insect repellent wherever you go. I was bitten to death alongside my boyfriend. Especially in bed at night time!

2. If your planning to go to TULUM or/and AKUMAL, take the local shuttle buses! for around 30 pesos they stop right outside the hotel and are quick and cheap, far better than taxis. BIG RIP OFF! i wouldnt recommend getting a taxi no matter how they pester you

3. If your in Playa del Carmen or on a day trip many men will say "aaa hey remember me? from your hotel? i was waiter? OR something similar" .. PLEASE DO NOT stop and say hi. They dont know you. They try to get you in a taxi or make you buy things.

4. If your heading to AKUMAL (little day trip to a local beach where you can snorkel and see many see turtles) DO NOT pay 20/25 dollars $$ .. The guys in the yellow t-shirts lead you to the beach, watch a video on the rules of the sea etc (IE: Do not touch the turtles or coral reef and so on..) then tell you to pay 20/25 $$ depending on whether you have your own snorkel and mask just to go out and snorkel.
THIS IS A LOCAL BEACH!! Tell them no. You know the rules and you know how to snorkel.
The amount of people who i seen hand over the money, to be put in a group of 10, took around by a guide being told where to go and not to go on a time limit was astonishing.
You can go to the beach however long you want. Snorkel wherever you want. Me and my boyfriend discovered two sea turtles on our own included countless fish in the coral. It was LOVELY!

5. If you want to go to a cenote and are on a tight budget, or just fancy a cheaper option. Go to the 5/6 cenotes opposite the hotel. Myself and my family walked around 5 minutes up the road to CENOTE AZULE, where we paid 70 peso / 6$ for entrance. The bigger, more commercialised cenotes which are further away are more expensive, and are not as natural as the local ones. Most have been modified as they are now tourist attractions. If you want natural beauty for low prices, choose a 5 minute walk across the road, there are different cenotes to choose from. We got recommended AZULE.

I cant think of anything else at the moment to add to this very large review! But it's important i portray my views on this marvelous resort and hotel! I had an AMAZING time and i am gutted to be home. I would hope to return here in the future! I couldnt fault it!

Thank you!

Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Caribe? Share your experiences!