“Best Family, Great Romantic but Ok Singles Resort”

Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
St. Paul
“Best Family, Great Romantic but Ok Singles Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2009

My wife and I just returned from 7 nights at the Barcelo Palace. Generally, I would say the Barcelo resort is similar to a large upscale well run Las Vegas style hotel (minus the gambling) in the middle of Riviera Maya in terms of accommodations, food, services and amenities. That comes with some corresponding drawbacks but overall our experience was very positive and I imagine that the Barcelo Palace would be perfect fit for a family with younger children. For the most part we only saw families or couples and no single persons or groups of single persons at the Palace. It was an excellent experience overall and I would not hesitate to recommend the Barcelo Palace for any family or couples vacation.

The Grounds and Buildings. The grounds are very well laid out and tended to by ever present grounds and maintenance crews. Overall the grounds and buildings are immaculate, beautiful and inviting with many fountains, growing and cut flowers and ocean vistas with comfortable lounge chairs. The complex is very large and spread out. While that does mean some walking or taking the trolley, it is generally acceptable. It took roughly 45 minutes (including wait time) to take the trolley from the Palace lobby to the equipment hut on the other end of the property. Walking probably would have taken 25-30 minutes. There are plenty of birds and other wildlife along the grounds but nothing threatening; I would recommend making up wildlife bingo for those long walks or rides to and from one place to another.

The Room. We stayed in a non-Club Premium junior suite on a third floor room. The rooms were spacious with a king bed, plenty of storage space, two sofa/daybeds, a balcony, a large bathroom/toilet. I think the Palace rooms are generally the same except for a few specialty rooms. The floors are marble or polished stone so you do have to be careful not to slip when the floor is wet. The balcony did have two chairs, a little table and a pull out drying rack. The hotel includes many toiletries, more than the average hotel. The quality, however, was probably fairly middling so if you are particular about your toothpaste, shampoo or shaving kit, you still should bring your own. I generally didn’t care too much but none of the included toiletries were particularly special. The included snacks were very nice though: Japanese iso-style peanuts, spicy peanuts, potato chips, chocolate wafer bars along with beer, various sodas, orange juice boxes and plenty of bottled water. My small pet peeve is that whole lots of hotels now have a flat screen tv’s, I seldom find one that includes the high definition service to go with that tv. The Olevia flat screen was ok but don’t expect the crystal clear picture of your Sony or Samsung. Still, there were plenty of tv viewing choices in multiple languages for your limited time in the room. We never did figure out how to order movies or use LodgeNet though. Overall, I think the rooms were a very good value, comfortable, spacious with plenty of extras. There would have been plenty space for two adults and two little ones. For us, we just had plenty of room to spread out. The room was simple enough not to feel too fancy for a family with little kids (e.g. not too many breakable items or attractive nuisances) and still luxurious enough to feel like upscale hotel room for adults.

The Food. Everyone’s opinion of food is very subjective so take it all the following with a grain of salt. The Palace featured two buffet restaurants, three ala carte restaurants and a grill. In principal one of the buffet restaurants would be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner with the grill supplementing the hours between breakfast and dinner for a snack or quick lunch and then the specialty restaurants would be open at night for a more special dinner meal. In practice (probably because of the low occupancy), one buffet was open for breakfast and dinner only with just the grill open for lunch. Generally, this was fine although you began to get tired of the more limited grill choices after a couple of days. There is no poolside or beachside grill or food service. Palace guest do, however, get to make use of the other hotel’s restaurants, including some limited reservations at the ala carte restaurants.

Breakfast probably offered the best meal choices. There were always plenty of different things for breakfast, including eggs and omelets to order, smoothies made to order, fresh doughnuts, grilled bagel sandwiches, huevos ahogados, huevos motulenos, tamales, cold cuts, fresh fruit, frosted flakes, and about one hundred other things. Lunch in the grill had a much more limited space and corresponding choices. Most people at lunch seemed to gravitate toward the burgers, steaks and fish grilled to order. There are plenty of salads and cooked vegetables along with various prepared proteins and starches. There is also a pasta station, cooked to order. Dinner was a combination of breakfast and lunch with expanded grilled to order options, teppanyaki station, sushi, and a very large variety of meats, vegetables, salads and desserts. We went to 4 ala carte restaurants: The French and Caribbean restaurants at the Palace and the Japanese teppanyaki and the seafood restaurant at the Colonial. I think for a 7 night stay you get a choice of 4 ala carte restaurants but we just happened to book 4; I think we could have book more if we wanted to because of the low occupancy. We would probably say the best two ala carte restaurants were tried were the French and Caribbean, followed by the teppanyaki and a rather unremarkable meal at the seafood restaurant.

As for the food itself, I’ll just say that (1) it really resembled an upscale casino buffet mostly and (2) it is a matter of perspective. First, the buffets were all pretty good but it did begin to get a little repetitive, especially at lunch, by the end of the week. There were certainly plenty of options at breakfast and dinner and they did sort of have a theme night, e.g. French night, Italian night, and Brazilian night. I think my only real criticism of the buffets was that I have a feeling that some of ingredients were not entirely the freshest. For example, several times the sushi, sashimi and carpaccio tasted fishy, not fresh as they should have. The grilled to order large prawns all looked nice but tasted mealy and broke apart in your mouth, probably a sign they were frozen too long or no longer fresh. The even the individual sized breakfast cereal showed an intake date from 3 months ago and an unopened box had stale Sugar Pops. But generally these problems were minor. We took a tour of the kitchens (which I highly recommend) and we very impressed at the food handling procedures in the kitchens as well what we observed in the dining room. We had no issues or fears about food safety at any time. In fact they overcooked some things probably to avoid food issues, e.g. they put out large cold poached lobsters which looked great but were devoid of any sweetness or other flavor because they were way over-poached.

Second, it is all a matter of perspective. I sort of felt that I could assign a large part of the hotel costs to lodging, facilities and entertainment options. Therefore all included food was almost a bonus. I therefore wasn’t horribly disappointed or offended by some of the less than 5 star meals. For example, whatever they presented as lobster thermidor was in no way lobster thermidor but it was rather tasty. If you were expecting the lobster thermidor like you had Le Bec Finn, you are going to be sorely disappointed. I had several ribeye steaks. If you expect thick cut dry aged prime steak ala Morton’s Steakhouse, you are going to be seriously unhappy. I was ok with the thin, slightly tough ribeye steak since they were fresh off the grill, generally seasoned well and I basically paid a Sizzler price for them.

All in all, the food was plenty adequate, even tasty, to satisfy any number of palates. I certainly have paid much more for much less. Think of the Palace buffet like a very good casino buffet, good value with some occasional terrific items but not someplace you’re just dying to eat at on a daily basis.

Service. Service was excellent, beyond reproach. Whether you tip the service people or not, they provided top notch service. Most people spoke some English or were quite willing to tolerate my poor Spanglish. I can easily see how this would be a great non-threatening place for kids; there is little to no language barrier.

Activities. We spent the first part of our trip trying out the myriad choices of things to do and then decided that the very best part of being there was to lounge around doing absolutely nothing. I’m sure the archery, mini golf, various poolside games, shopping, shows, and alike were all great but we enjoyed doing absolutely nothing. We did take in a show one night which was not very good. As I said above, I highly recommend the kitchen tour.

Beach and pools. The beach immediately in front of the Palace is indeed fairly rocky and the sand is not very soft or fine. The snorkeling is excellent though. The beaches as you progress toward the Caribe portion of the resort were increasing picture and sensitive feet perfect. At the south end of the resort the sand was powdery and just this side of heaven. Even so, I would recommend water shoes in any portion of the long beach. The palapa beds at the adult pool were a tranquil oasis which we made use of on a daily basis. The main pool also seemed perfectly great but it was occasionally filled with the cries of various drunken tourists and lacked the palapa beds. As a practical matter, I never saw anyone in any pool or the ocean after dark.

Drinks. Alcoholic drinks seemed fine but we drink only a little so the hotel probably made money on us on that. There were plenty of water, juices, sodas and non alcoholic drinks to satisfy anyone. The bartending was a little inconsistent as I never got two lemonades that tasted the same but generally it was all fine.

Spa. It was very nice and perfectly adequate. I think the new age like spas in Tulum might provide more of that mystical connection that some people want in the Yucatan and the big spa centered resorts might provide more of a luxury spa experience that others are looking for. Don't get me wrong. The spa, shared by all the hotels, was great and the prices were discounted in the low season. It was just neither the posh over the top experience nor the little palapa in the jungle with a shaman chanting over you experience.

In summary, I think the resort is perfect for any young family. We found it very family focused and kid friendly. While there are probably more romantic, adults only resorts in the area, we found perfectly acceptable for just the two of us. I would hesitate to recommend the Palace for singles as it was not particularly geared toward singles. Perhaps the Colonial, which seemed to have a younger, more active crowd, might be a better choice for the single traveler or younger unattached groups. The single largest drawback is that it is a very large complex and the food may sometimes be less than what you ideally expect and I think there are better choices for the single traveler or even the couple, but I think the Barcelo Palace is a great choice for any family or a couple in terms of accommodations, ease of use, quality of facility and activity options.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
15 Thank part_time_beach_bum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2009

Food - awesome. Activities - awesome. Rooms - awesome. It was very quiet and relaxing. It is a great place to stay for a week and it's all I have been thinking about since we have been home. We can't wait to go back and we are bringing our friends with us. Save me a hammock and a cold margarita!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank harrisA09
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2009

When planning our trip we were deciding between an island in the Caribbean or Mexico. Given the depressed prices from the swine flu scare, traveling to the Riviera Maya was the best value. I've broken down my review by category so that you can get a full picture of what a first timer's visit to this resort was like. Feel free to message me for any other details or suggestions.

PRICE:
We traveled with a 3rd person who occupied a 2nd room. For 3 r/t plane tickets from Columbus, OH + 2 rooms (for 7 nights) at the All-Inclusive Barcelo Maya Palace resort, I paid a total of $2,900 on www.expedia.com.

OCCUPANCY:
The resort was about 20% occupied during our stay. We never had to wait in line to get into any restaurants (either reservations restaurants or buffetts). We were able to secure dinner reservations at all property restaurants. While the coveted pool seats in the shade were often occupied by NOON, as long as you put a towel on the chair by 10:30am you were guaranteed a seat in the shade. The pool was not crowed. The pool bar was not crowded. The beach chairs were always empty. I literally waited in line for nothing at this resort. The longest wait I had was waiting for the sales people at the silver stores to talk to management about accepting my offer!!

ROOMS:
The rooms are beautiful. The attention to detail is quite impressive. The beds are a little hard and the pillows are not that great. The a/c works splendidly. The bathrooms are very nice with his/her sinks. The "rain shower" is a very nice touch, and there is a large soaking bathtub. Internet is not included in your room price. Neither is the fitness center.

FOOD:
The food is about a 3 out of 5. For mass produced food, it is pretty good. Everything is edible. You don't have to worry about the water -- everything comes out of a bottle. In my opinion, the food at the buffett is AS GOOD or BETTER than the food in the "reservation only" restaurants. I ate at the Caribben, Brazilian, and French restaurants. While there are different OPTIONS at these restaurants, the food is average at best. I cancelled my reservations at other restaurants later in the trip because I was happier eating at my leisure than off of an average fixed option menu. The bartenders are generous with distribution of alcohol if this is important to you. I brought $200 in $1 dollar bills for tips and gave out about $100 of them during the trip. The staff was very appreciative of this gesture -- especially the waiters who serve you at the buffett. I would encourage this practice.

POOL:
The pool is a 10/10. It is massive. There is a swim-up bar, a children's pool, and a waterfall. Since the pool was not crowded, I made it my home. I cannot imagine what this place is like at full occupancy. The pool was clean and I loved sitting in the water chairs.

BEACH:
I read a lot of reviews on tripadviser, expedia, and lonely planet before making my selection. I wanted to see crystal clear water and booked my hotel accordingly. A beautiful beach was more important than an amazing pool. The beach at the barcelo maya palace is beautiful & so was the pool. There is a tiny reef inlet that the resort sits around. Please note that it is not an ideal place for snorkeling. I thought it would be...it was not. Please also note that the "water sports" rental area is not anywhere close to the Barcelo Maya Palace. There are 5 hotels on this property. The Barcelo Maya Palace is the one farthest on the left. The "water sports" rental area is at the one farthest on the right. It is a good 10 minute walk. I was very disappointed to find out that many of the features of this property are NOT located at the premium resort -- but rather at the cheaper resorts. Please also note that you are only given 1 hour of free rental of kayaks, snorkel equipment, etc. You are then charged per hour.

SERVICE:
The service was decent. The staff does not go out of their way to assist you, but if you have a question, they will try to answer. The concierge service is kind of a joke. Honestly, they are just a bunch of young adults on a summer job. They aren't there to provide amazing service, they are really just glorified "i'll call the on-site restaurant for you" people ;) No fault of their own, but they aren't concierge service. They do not have any suggestions for things to do that are "local" -- they are there to book your dinner reservations at the restaurants (which are also a joke). There are tour agencies on site, so if you ask the concierge about things to do -- you are directed to speak to the tour agencies. The maid service is outstanding and they deserve a tip at the end of your stay.

NIGHTLIFE:
Limited. Don't come here if you are looking to party-it-up until the wee hours of the morning. This pool shuts down at 10pm and then it is quiet.

LOOKING BACK:
(1) I debated back/forth on whether I should rent a car during my stay. In hindsight I would encourage EVERYONE TO RENT A CAR. I had locked in a rate of $150/week including insurance prior to my trip -- but backed out at the last minute for fear of the "Policia." But I ended up renting a car for 2 days so that I could explore the Riviera Maya. It was the best decision possible. There is a rental car agency on property and it will cost you about $70/day. If you rent a car, pay close attention to the gas station attendants. They pump your gas for you, and they swarm your car and start pumping gas immediately. You have to make sure that they RESET the pump to ZERO before starting to pump gas. Many times they will start the pump at $100 pesos and pretend like they didn't. Watch out. You know this is a problem when you arrive at a gas station and the attendant asks you to step out of the car so that he can show you that he is resetting the pump to $0 to be honest ;) Everything in the Riviera Maya is located off the Mexico 307 highway. When you leave the airport, you curve to the right to get onto Mexico 307 and stay on the road for about 75 minutes until you have to make a turn into the Barcelo Maya resort. It is that simple. Everything is off of the Mexico 307 (Playa Del Carmen, Tulum, Puerto Morelos). Also, parking the Barcelo Maya Palace is free.

(2) Go visit Puerto Morelos. It is a small town about 45 minute drive NORTH of the Barcelo Maya Palace. I paid $20/pp for a 2 hour snorkeling trip. Buy the Lonely Planet guide and read up about the artisan market. It doesn't look like much, but we spent 3 hours talking to the people and exploring their homemade goods. It is just what Mexico should be like. Most of the Riviera Maya is a tourist factory with massive resorts and little charm/appearl -- but Puerto Morelos has maintained an "old Mexico" feel. The prices are amazing.

(3) Go visit Coba, but don't hire a guide. You can stand 10 feet away and listen as the rental guides talk to other people about the ruins. They will only give a tour of the 1st set of ruins which are located about 50 yards from the entrance. The most impressive ruins are over 1.5km from the entrance. Pay the $8 to have someone bike you to the ruins that you can climb -- but please be careful!! They are much taller than I expected ;) By car, Coba is about 1 hour away and a beautiful drive.

(4) Snorkel Yal-Ku Lagoon in Akumal. This costs me about $10 per personj (including snorkel gear) -- but it was beautiful. Get there at about 2pm so you have 3.5 hours to go through the entire lagoon and into the Caribbean Sea. Beautiful. By car, Akumal is about 15 minutes away.

(5) Grand Cenote. This costs me about $15 per person (including snorkel gear). The water is very cold, but it is an amazing experience with crystal clear water. There is just something cool & eerie about swimming into a cave. By car, Grand Cenote is about 35 minutes away.

(6) Playa Del Carmen. I would encourage everyone to spend a night in this tourist trap just to people watch and listen to music. It has lost its "old mexico" charm (it is now a full-fledged cruise ship center), but it is fun watching all of the people try to haggle down costs of silver that are marked up over 100% ;) By car, Playa Del Carmen is about 25 minutes away.

(7) Pay in Pesos. While every place takes US Dollars, they don't live by current exchange rates -- so you'll pay a 20-30% premium if you pay with US dollars. The exchange rate during my visit was 12.5 pesos = 1 US dollar. However, most places asked for a rate of 10 pesos = 1 us dollar. So if something costs $100 pesos they would ask for $10 US dollars...even though the actual amount was around $8 US dollars.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
As a first experience, the Barcelo Maya Palace was very nice. I travel all over the world for my work and have stayed in some amazing hotels, so a comparison to true 5-star hotels is not valid. This is a very nice hotel in Mexico. I would say that it is more suited for families, than for adults looking for an adult vacation. All told, I give the resort a 4/5 and would travel back when I have children. However, for my next trip to the Riviera Maya, I would like to stay some place closer to Puerto Morelos where the prices are not tourist inflated and it has a feeling of charm...rather than a tourist factory.

18 Thank eddiejov55
Minot, North Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2009

Well the hotel itself is really nice, I would recommend that if you do stay to have them change the sheets right when you get there...due to the humidity in Mexico during the hot seasons...the sheets get kinda wet feeling...Not fun to sleep in! The hotel does not include room service which sucked for me because I have dinner normally really late (night owl)... when I did make it to to dinner the food was fantastic. I went to the french restaurant and to the buffets...great food! The pool bar was a nice place to hang out and so was the disco "Jaguar"...Also if you are looking for a great beach, this one had a lot of rocks and pebbles that were hard to walk on.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank My_Travelin_Charlie
vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2009

As soon as my boyfriend and I got off our flight, our air transat rep. told us we got upgraded to the Maya Palace from the Colonial. We were hesitant but to our surpise we got a sweet deal! The Maya Palace is brand new. Everything is lush. You can tell the moment you walk in to the lobby you wont be dissapointed, as you sip your welcome drink! The room we got was a suite with double vessel sinks, double showers, couchs, plasma tv, and rich decor. The beach was gorgeous. August is a great time to go. I highly recommend the French restaurant for an a la carte. It was definately my favourite from the trip. The buffets had so much selection. Everyone would be satisfied. All the staff try to please you constantly. They really make you feel special in every way. The shows were amazing, every night something new to see. The shuttle is great to get to the the other hotels on the resort. I definately recomend going to the pier. We fed the fish and swam with them - great photo op's! Trips I would recommend is Cozumel to go snorkeling and Chichen Itza to add to your vacation. This resort would be great for a wedding, a family vacation, or with a significant other.

5 Thank jodiVancouver
Shelbyville, KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2009

We have stayed at the Barcelo resort twice before in the Beach and Tropical sections, but never at the Palace. Due to the excellent prices brought about by swine flu this year, we decided to try the Palace. For comparison, we have also stayed at the Grand Sirenis and the Grand Palladium White Sand. The Palace was our favorite so far.

Rooms: The rooms are all junior suites, with two couches which could be used as beds for children. We just like the extra room to spread out our floats and snorkel gear. Beds in Mexico are known for being very hard, but the Palace beds have a pillow top mattress cover that makes them very comfortable. My husband liked the flat panel TV, and the rain shower in the bathroom beside the tub. I didn't like having to walk across a slippery wet floor to get to the tub, so we worked out the schedule so that I gt first shot at the tub and regular shower, and then it was his turn at the rain shower. We were not Club Premium (which gets ocean view rooms), but still had a very nice view of the pool, and could see the ocean off to the right. Maid service was prompt, with towel art on our last two days.

Pools: Quite possibly the largest pool I have ever seen, and we never had to play the towel game to get a chair under the shaded areas. This might be more of a problem during peak occupancy, but the occupancy was low while we were there and we had our choice of chairs. One odd thing - the Tropical, which is less expensive than the Palace, had nice thick cushions on all its pool chairs, while the Palace had no cushions except at the small adult pool.

Beach: The Barcelo complex consists of three section, and the oldest section has the softest, sandiest beach if you are a swimmer. Watersports are down in the older sections, which is quite a walk. Since we are snorkelers, we enjoyed the beach in front of the Palace. The sand is a little coarse, but there is a nice roped off swimming area to enter the water, and once you get beyond the ropes there is some good coral. There are turtles right there in the swimming area, and I saw at least two every day that we were there.

We were amazed by how well established the palm trees had gotten since our last trip in 2006. There are no palapas on the beach, which does give it a more natural appearance, and the palm trees did provide limited shade for those who can't stay in the sun all day.

Food: The buffets are very good at the Palace, and we usually had things grilled to order rather then eating the food that was in trays on the buffet. It is really hard to keep things from drying out on a buffet, but you could get fish, chicken, and even a T-bone steak grilled to order, so the meats were always very good. Vegetables, as at most Mexican resorts, weren't the greatest, and salads are not a strong suit. Because we were not Club Premium guests, we were limited to 4 a la cartes for our 7 day stay. We ate at the French, Japanese, Steakhouse, and Seafood, and all were very good. The French restaurant was the "fanciest" of the 4, and was beautifully decorated. All restaurants at the Palace are situated so that they have an ocean view, which is very nice. Breakfast was always good, with made to order omelettes, fresh fruit, and donuts, churros, and bunuelos (like a beignet) frying every morning.

Things to improve on:

The shows: The Palace has a very nice air conditioned theater, but often there really isn't a show. They just fill up time with something like "Miss Barcelo" or "Battle of the Sexes".

Restaurant Reservations: This system is just not good. The seafood, Japanese, steakhouse and Italian restaurants are all located in the Colonial/Tropical resort. The Palace is limited to 20 slots in those restaurants each night, so that C/T guests will not be crowded out. We got the last 2 slots at the Japanese restaurant, yet on the night of our reservation the restaurant was half full, with only 4 people at most show tables instead of 8. The other couple at our table were also Palace guests, and had been told when they tried to make reservations that there were no additional openings for Palace guests. Later in the week they stopped by the reservation desk in the Colonial lobby, and were given a reservation. It doesn't make sense to have empty seats in a restaurant when Palace guests are being turned away. When we were at the Palladium last year, they had just adopted a new "no reservation" system for their a la cartes. You go to the restaurant of your choice, and if a seat is not available you are given a pager just like you would be given at a restaurant here in the U.S. You can go to an a la carte every night if you want, and since that system has now been in place for over a year I assume it is working well for them. This is the one area where I would rate Palladium higher, because Barcelo's system is inconvenient and overly restrictive.

Internet Access: The internet connection is not the fastest, and the system of charging is a little awkward. $3 for 15 minutes, $6 for 30, etc. One night we thought we had been on 15 minutes, and it turned out to be $18. If you go over your 15 minutes, it is an automatic $6 charge, and the 12 minutes you didn't use doesn't carry over to the next day. They could charge in 5 minute increments, or accummulate your minutes and bill you at the end of the week, or something that would be more customer friendly.

Overall, we had a wonderful stay and would return if the price for the Palace was reasonable. If not, we would probably stay at the Barcelo Colonial/Tropical or Palladium White Sand which are normally several hundred dollars a person less.

9 Thank AnnfromKY
gottago48
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2009

We stayed the week of aug 26-sep 2, this is a beautiful resort,the cleanest I have ever been to. we were welcomed with drinks and brought right to our room. the resort was not crowded at all. I dont think it was 20% full. The food was very good. the buffets you could choose your own steak , fish or giant shrimp to be grilled to your liking, pasta cooked the way you like. My boys had habachi every night. The service was excellent and never had to wait for anything. We did do many excursions like the zip lining and cave rafting. golf snd deep sea fishing, The zip lining I will leave to the younger people, little to high for my liking, the caves were real cool and glad that I made the trip. The property does have a cenote and one direclty across the street to the left for a mere $5.00 .I have stayed at 2 all inclusives in Jamaica, and 2 times in Cancun, Dominincan Republic plus multiple cruises. This was the best and I will return. I did get a hour massage for $55.00 however the spa does not have the sanuas, steamrooms etc that I would expect at a high end resort. oh well that is the only negative I can think off. Tip use cancun transfer for a private car to pick you up at the airport. you can reserve on line it was 150.00 round trip in a large surburban and very safe drivers. I hope for the hotel industry that the customers come back to keep the hotels in business. I will return and absolutely recommend this hotel to those looking to relax. no night life but the lobby bar which was beautiful.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,184 reviews
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#72 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,563 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!