“Great resort, great staff, had a blast” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach

Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
ontario
“Great resort, great staff, had a blast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I went with a friend (female) and we had a blast.

Right from the beginning, it was wonderful. We were greated at the hotel by Israel who is a sweetheart and went out of his way to help us. Wouldn't let us carry anything at all. He offered us the upgrade which we took after a bit of bartering--well worth it. We had a beautiful room by the pool and beach. Couldn't really see the beach because the gardens are so lush, but still got the breeze from it and the sounds of it. We were in building three facing the pools. Room was beautiful. Since we upgraded, we had robes, slippers, premium drinks whereever we went (not in the room though-although they had a few snacky foods in the fridge as well-peanuts etc), was able to eat/drink/swim at the Caribe, Colonial, & Tropical. We were allowed to strole thru the Palace as well and it is absolutely gorgeous, but we felt it looked quite boring and not lively at all and not worth the difference in price unless you were on a honeymoon or something. The beach is the cheapest even with the upgrade, was cheaper than the tropical that we originally planned on booking into on the same resort) and from what we experienced that week, it was definately the most fun. The activity team were a riot. Lots of contests, dancing and water aerobics (quite different from any other resort I've been at and I've been on 14 trips now) The team made it quite different and very entertaining to say the least. I really didn't see much difference between the Caribe and the Beach. I found the Beach nicer and more fun. Caribe to me did not look any nicer. The Colonial was very nice inside. There is a stip plaza by the colonial as well and the disco is in same area. It did have an inside bar that was air conditioned and is some what of a quiet bar, but not usually once we arrived, lol. Sergio and Daniel are exceptional. So kind and so, so, much fun! It kinda ended up being our favourite bar. The lobby bar at the Beach was fun, but hot and smokey because not closed in. The night shows left a lot to be desired, but I think we missed the best two nights. One was a body builder I believe and we were in Playa Del Carmen that night and the last night there was a battle of the sexes and we ate too late and missed the show, plus we didn't have our partners with us to join in on the battle. Playa Del Carmen is a must go see, but give yourself lots of time. The bus trip is not long enough. We were there 5 hrs and still ran out of time. Mind you, we had a two hr dinner at a restaurant called Azur (I believe) that was recommended by Nolitours and more than one of the staff at the hotel. It is on 5th avenue and 2nd, across from the bar with the swings. That bar looked like fun as well. It was a fantastic dinner and a wide variety of choices. Meals were about $15-$30 for dinner, but think you could get cheaper ones as well. We had great wine there as well. We sat in a balcony seat that overhangs 5th avenue where all the action is. We took a cab in from the resort. $23 each way, but very safe. We also went to a jewelery warehouse called Matis right on the main road before going into the resort. The resort drives you over free. It was great, but large and not all that cheap. Cheaper and more authentic than jewelery other places though. Leave lots of time for it because it is very large. They also sell leather and glass masks etc.
I am trying to think of all the other staff names that were amazing, but of course, I forget most of them. There was Antonio at the Sante Fe restaurant and George as well. Alberto I believe was at the Spanish or the Mexican--can't remember. Sorry for all the names I forget. We were allowed a la carte everynight since we upgraded. Definately well worth it. They have segways there to ride and also those huge water tricycles, but the only day we had to do the trikes, the red flag was up, so couldn't go in the ocean. The Beach Resort section is also the nicer end of the beach. By time you get down to the Tropical and the Palace, the beach was horrible. Big rocks at the shore, so couldn't enter there and we found a lot of disrepectful teenage kids there that just thru their garbage around the beach. The resort did lack in garbage containers though by the beach.
Any questions, just send me an email. Absoltuely loved it so have no problem referring this resort at all but too much to write about

Room Tip: We were in room 3305 by the pools and beach. Theatre close by but didn't hear a thing from our r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank OntarioNasty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Edson, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

We flew with Sunwing out of Edmonton March 9-16 and the flight down was rather eneventful, perfect. We took a private transfer to the hotel instead of waiting on Sunwings transfer. Check in was fast and the bellboy seemed surprised we wanted help!? What is with that? Anyway he did help and told us useful information regarding the buffet hours and we tipped him well.
Overall most of the staff we delt with was efficent and semi friendly. However the house keeping staff was very friendly, and their smiles were genuine. We tipped house keeping every day, and one day when they forgot to leave coffee, i searced one out and she brought me coffee almost immediately. I tipped her too! I love coffee on the balcony in the early am.
Other reviews complained our house keeping, we had no issues what ever, the room was always spotless. We were warned that anything not in the safe they were not responsible for.
The safe was plenty big, we had 3 camers, one in an underwater housing, an ipad, two cell phones, all our travel doucuments and wallets, and there was still room.
We were in the Xumal building room 3316 that looked at trees, and we bird and squirrel watched from the balcony each am.
The resort is huge, lots of different folks from all over the world, alot of Europeans.
As other folks have said, the grounds are fantastic, I walked around the better part of the last afternoon we were there taking pictures of the flowers and iguanas.
The baech is massive, and even though it was red flagged almost the whole week we there, to us it made no matter. Everyday we caught a taxi or a collectivo to Akumal to snorkel in the calm bay.
We ate breakfast and supper at the buffet each night, everything was ok, most of the food I felt was cold, I love fish, but not cold fish.That is basically my only complaint, we told the food and beverage manager when she asked, so hopefully the fish is warmer this week!
Overall if you don't mind a huge resort, there is something here for everyone, especially the kids!

1 Thank verynortherngirl
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We recently stayed at Barcelo Maya Resort, what a beautiful place. We enjoyed every aspect the resort offered including off resort activities. We honestly have nothing negative to say about the resort, we made some good friends, staff was friendly and helpful, food was amazing and all around had a great time. The only bad thing I would have to complain about would be flying with Sunwing airlines. We departed from Calgary and were delayed by 12 hours in terms lost a full day of our vacation. The one thing I can say is that our check in agent (Melissa) was extremely friendly with a great attitude. She continuesly apologize for the delay and seemed to be sincere and showed empathy. She seemed to go above and beyond her job duties trying to turn a bad situation into the best possible. Her uplifting personality seemed to rub off on us and put us in a better mood. Great job Sunwing for hiring such a wonderful addition to your company but I wish I could say the same about the rest of our experience with sunwing.

1 Thank Kelly C
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Just came from the resort last night. We've been to Mexico before and so far was the best beach. Rooms were clean. Food was 8 out of 10. I don't eat meat so it was repetitive. Still , I had enough choices. I am a tennis player, so the only complaint is that they do not have a tennis pro to play with but I guess that is not anyone would be interested in. We did scuba and the staff was excellent. Nice, smiling people, just what you want to see when you go on vacation. Going with a big group was harder to accommodate at the tables but we managed. I would definitely recommend to take your good mood and plan a trip there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank koral2003
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach resort over the March break week and we both thoroughly enjoyed this vacation. We can't really think of too many issues or concerns with our stay. We can echo the many positives you'll read.

Top notch scores towards the cleanliness of the rooms, bathrooms, restaurants and grounds.
The Servers in all restaurants were happy, helpful and made dining a pleasure (whether it was the buffet, beach bar or an A La Carte).

Our room was spacious (junior Suite) in the Coba building, our balcony was great, but the trees blocked the view of the pool. Not that we actually cared to see the pool.

Pool was very clean, beach was clean too. Water was a refreshing temperature. There were plenty of chairs, but we also went down early in the morning (8am-9am) to grab our seats for the day.

We have stayed at smaller resorts and Larger resorts (Gran Bahia Principe), we really enjoyed the size and proximity of everything at Barcelo. The lobby, buffet and beach were all less than 2 minutes walk from our room. And if we wanted a change of locale, the sister resorts were a short walk away.

Entertainment (we saw a couple shows throughout the week), the shows were some of the better performances we've seen in other resorts. They could use some work on the audio / mixing for the singers, but the talent was there!

Our complaints (very minor) are the lobby bar was smaller (compared to Tropical / Colonial / Palace) and looked a little dated. Oddly, we found the service in the Seafood (Mare Norestrum) almost too fast... we brought our own bottle of wine, and the apps, entrees came so quickly that we were finished dessert and still had wine to finish.

To complain about a small lobby bar and fast service, might be the opposite of a typical complaint, but we truly enjoyed all aspects of our stay. We will definitely go back and it will be the top choice for our winter 2013-2014 vacation plans.

Tip: Check their facebook page, or twitter account. They were very responsive to our small requests and knowlegde search prior to our trip. VERY HELPFUL!! I just wish I had met the team that I tweeted so much with!

5 Thank hueyott
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed January 2013
Highlights:
- Great service and great food in the restaurants, HUGE selection in the buffet
- Beautiful pool !! No shortage of pool side chairs and the swim up bar was great!
- Phenominal beach!! No shortage of beach chairs
- Walking distance to the other Barcelo hotels since they are all side by side
- Large room with all the tour rep's there daily
- Large theater with shows every evening
- Onsite tennis
-18 hole mini golf on site (free)

Downfalls:
- Room smells very mouldy, had 2 rooms & both smelt (poor ventilation in rooms)
- Tiles on the walkways get slippery when wet
- Bathroom was not the best,missing tiles and missing trim (you could see mould in spots)
- Bartenders made great drinks but if you didnt have a tip in your hand they were weak drinks
- EXPENSIVE souveniers & sunscreen (not a shock), 1 pix with a monkey was $20us.
- Mattres sucked, pretty hard and squeeky

I would definitley go back again but the next time will request a pool view cause almost all other rooms have a jungle view and are dark.

Room Tip: - request a pool view, it'll cost more but worth it - The Coba building is close to everything...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MellieMcIntyre
Bowmanville, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I vacationed at this resort the week of February 18-22, 2013.
This is the second time we've been on this property (stayed at the sister resort "Maya Caribe" two years ago.) Here's our review of our vacation.

Once again we flew with SunWing airlines and for the first time ever we were bit by a delay. I'm not upset because I will admit there was a snow storm the day before and though there was poor prior communication from the airline, they did at least keep us posted while we were at the airport.

The resort hasn't changed a bit since we were here last, which is good. This time we already knew where to go and how to get there (this is a big resort so it can take a day or two to get your bearings).
We stayed in the Coba building, room 2222. Beautiful garden view from the balcony (very private).
Positives of this stay:
The weather was amazing - +25C every day. Evenings slightly cooler. There was one day of rain but we did an excursion and didn't even notice.
We did an excursion of our own to the Tulum ruins by collectivo. Cost $6 for transportation, cost $7 for passes to get into the ruins. The beach hear is sooo fun (though, if you find my wife's Coach sunglasses that she lost in the surf, she would LOVE to get them back). You can hire a guide to teach you about the various ruins or do what we did - subtly tag along with an already existing tour group and you'll hear the stories anyway.
We also set up a tour through a relatively new tour guide "RivieraMayaforyou.com". It's a company that negotiates with you and develops a tour according to what you want to do. They travel in small groups, too, which makes the experience that much more intimate. We did the snorkelling with turtles in the town of Akumal and a swim in a private covered cenote. Both we HIGHLY recommend.
Anyway, back to the resort. The only thing I can fault this place for is their buffet food. It's not that it's bad - it's just that we've had better. You'll never go hungry and the omelet station and pasta station are really good, but overall it just seems bland. We ate at the mexican and spanish a la cartes and paid an extra $30 to go to the Palace for an a la carte at the Brazilian. We ordered a rib eye steak and it is BETTER than the Keg in North America - worth the money especially since you get to hob-nob with the rich folks who spent the extra ton of money to stay at the illustrious Palace resort.
I can't think of anything else other than to say we see this resort as our mainstay now. We will one day return again (likely this time with our kids) and hope you'll check it out, too.
Shoot me a message if you have any comments/questions.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,182 reviews
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#68 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,404 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!