“AMAZING FAMILY VACATION!”

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Prince Albert, Canada
“AMAZING FAMILY VACATION!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was such an amazing vacation. The staff was so friendly, the food was delicious, the drinks were great. I was worried that there wouldnt be enough to do for both of my kids becuase of the age difference, my son 13 and my daughter 17, but it turned out to be wonderful. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lillian1974

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vernon, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

This was my very first experience vacationing in Mexico and this was a great resort to start out at. There is an amazing amount of things to keep yourself busy at this resort, when not relaxing on the beach or by the pool. Everything from mini-golf, to tennis, to water aerobics or dance lessons by the pool. Not to mention the variety of night entertainment. The buffet is large and you're guaranteed to find something you like to eat. If you plan on eating at the a la carte restaurants, book early! I had incredible meals at the a la carte restaurants I visited and experienced exceptional service. Rooms are clean a respectable although we found the air conditioning could have been just a bit cooler. If you plan on doing excursions that are in close proximity to the resort (ex: Tulum), do your research! If you're okay with grabbing the collectivo bus on the highway; with transport and entrance fees you could visit Tulum for about $20 USD instead of the $60 the hotel/airline reps will charge you for a group tour. Playa del Carmen/5th Avenue is a great excursion as well, costing approx $5 USD for the collectivo bus each way. Pack lots of sunscreen and toiletries as these items tend to be double the price at the resort and in town. This resort met my expectations of what an all inclusive resort should be as the hotel was clean, gardens perfectly manicured, and all the facilities appear to be kept in tip top shape. One of the girls I travelled with said her biggest complaint was the white house wine wasn't that good. Given another opportunity, I would most definately return to this resort. I hope you enjoy your stay if you decide to go to the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are identical - even if you chose to have a 'superior' room. The only thin...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Victoria S
Sherwood Park
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We were booked at Maya Beach but it was closed, got the Caribe and the rooms were very nice and clean. The beach though is nicer at the other end, we did however enjoy snorkelling and seeing sea turtles every day. Buffets good lots of variet and a la carted very good too. Pool was freezing cold not a lot braved this even the kids. Do the Segway tour or the quds for a bit of reasonably priced fun.

Room Tip: Just ask fmor closer to the beach than the buffets and face the Palace as there is a bit of jungle i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank JuanSherwoodPark
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

This vacation was planned well in advance with 2 couples travelling together. We are all well travelled throughout the Caribbean. We went with Sunwing out of Toronto on this 7 day vacation. This was our friends second time at the Barcelo Mayan Beach/Caribe but our first. Overall the experience was very good. We were late due to a storm in Toronto and delayed 2.5 hours. Arrival at Cancun was just before midnight with the move through the airport being uneventful. The Sunwing people were prepared for our rather late arrival with the typical flurry of where do I go and what bus do I get on. You can sure sort out the virgin or angry travellers pretty quickly watching how this part goes.
We arrived at our hotel after midnight and were booked into our rooms in good time. Unfortunately the bell hop was busy with other clients but that wasn't a problem for us. We were all more interested in having a celebratory ale at the lobby bar for arriving in decent time, despite the delay, than we were about going to our rooms.
We both received our rooms with king beds as per agreement. Unfortunately we were not able to get rooms side by side as requested but the hotel was booked 90% and we were told it wasn't possible. This may have been a problem with people with family wanting them close by.
When we took possession of our rooms our friends had a problem with the safe left locked by the prior occupant. (How rude) They called the desk at 2 in the morning and the front staff had someone on scene in about five minutes to have a look. Unfortunately the problem was not able to be fixed at that time requiring a higher ranking supervisor with the proper access. The next day we went to the desk after breakfast asking for help. By the time they got back to their room the proper people were waiting for us. The safe was operational within a few minutes. I find this very comforting knowing only the highest ranking manager has access to this important hardware.
The hotel was obviously well booked with travellers. Notwithstanding the staff was well equipped to handle the crowd. I confess this was the only reason for the very good and not excellent rating. Yes, I had to wait a couple of times in line to get what I wanted. It was also difficult to get decent times for the ala carte dinners but we got the three we were promised by being flexible.
I always read the reviews for the hotels I stay in and I was surprised, after my experience, by some of the articles being so negative on the staff. I found all of them from the bell hop to the cleaning staff to be friendly and accommodating. They did their jobs in a fine manner despite the poor behaviour of a couple of ignorant tourists. Some people just shouldn’t travel during the busy season. Come on people. Most of you wouldn’t work under the conditions they face for the money they get. I’ve had more trouble with room keys in hotels in Canada than Mexico.
I was wary of a number of complaints about thefts from rooms but after some observations of the workings of the cleaning staff I saw there were checks and balances in place to prevent any obvious malfeasance. My spouse has a habit of leaving things lying around and, despite this, nothing went missing.
The pool was in good order with lots of lounge chairs. The usual reserving of seats with the towel draped over was evident but not a problem even with the number of people. We didn’t have much trouble finding four chairs when we wanted them. There are lots of areas in the sun and plenty of palm trees for shade. The pool was clean and warm.
The beach was nice and there were always lots of lounge chairs on the sand. I agree with another writer there are a lot of rocks in the Ocean. TAKE OR BUY WATER SOCKS YOU WILL NEED THEM IN THE OCEAN. We are mask and snorkel folk and like the reef off shore for this activity.
The Barcelo Maya Beach is part of five hotels side by side along about a 3km stretch of beach. We enjoyed walking along the path and checking out the activity at all of them. I felt very safe wandering around the grounds in the dark.
I read the complaint about the Maya Beach resort being old. Nothing falling apart from what I could see. Everything works and is well maintained. I dabble in construction and it doesn’t deserve this label.
The room was a typical hotel type room with a comfortable king bed. Our friends had a similar room again no complaints about the bed. We had 2 wicker chairs and a small table along with a wicker sofa. Both had thick pads and were comfortable. The balcony had 2 plastic patio chairs and a small table. We viewed out on the side towards the lobby but the brush is so thick you thought you were living in a palm forest. The bathroom was well outfitted 3 piece with a large soaker tub. Lots of hot water and water pressure even with the crowd drawing at the same time.
I agree with the writer about the ocean view rooms. These rooms look out on the pool with the ocean in the far background. Still pleasant enough for morning and night with the breeze from the ocean but a little deceptive. During the day the noise from the pool would be problematic. (if you were still in your room during the day.) I typically don’t get the upgrade because I know the booking problems with these rooms. I’ve read the comments about getting these upgrades but its industry wide and not relegated to one resort.
The food was much better than average with the buffet having a decent variety. Each night had a theme with appropriate food on hand for the crowd. We lunched at both the Maya Beach grill near the beach and the neighbouring Capt Morgan Grill at the Maya Caribe. Both had good lunch variety.
As I mentioned earlier the place was full and the ala carte was selective with time choice.
We recommend the Steak dinner at the Maya Beach Grill near the beach. This was exceptional.
We had the 9pm sitting which happened to correspond to our tour plans for the day.
The staff were great and the food of top, top quality.
I recommend the filet mignon.
We also had the Mexican and Spanish dinners which were of good quality.
I’ve had the dinners in other resorts that taste like baskets from the buffet. No danger of that here.
The dinners were clearly individually prepared.
We participated in a few off site tours including the Maya Adventure snorkelling tour and the tour to Playa Del Carmen through Sunwing.
The Maya Adventure was reasonable and of good quality. Snorkelling off the ocean was tempered due to wind. The visit to the sink hole and the cave dive was educational. Israel our guide was well versed in his trade and took good care of us. Lunch was pretty good.
I haven’t been to Playa Del Carmen for about 10 years and boy has it grown. Lots to do and see.
We did the evening 3 hour tour but it poured rain when we were leaving. Our driver forgot to show up but the on site guy Ernesto made sure we all had rides back to our hotels. Not sure if this was part of the plan or not but I could see how this would bother the less travelled. I would recommend a group of 4 take a cab rather than the tour bus because it would be cheaper and you could leave on your own time in lieu of waiting for your driver. Bit of a cluster sorting everyone out.
The on site activities were pretty good. The pool folk do their best to get us moving but I’m just a bit too crusty for rumba dancing, pool aerobics and the like. Just not my thing. The evening shows were pretty good with the theatre being well suited to the viewing public.
We found the segway tour of the grounds entertaining for the money.
Overall we had a great time for the money we paid.
So here’s the bottom line. We’ll be going back next year.

Room Tip: The Ocean view rooms are pool view. Nice during the morning and night for coffee and drinks but wou...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bruce B
Sesekinika
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was our first trip to Mexico and this resort was great. The food was excellent. Always fresh and a great variety. If you can't find something that you like to eat here, you won't find it anywhere!
Our only glitch was that we were given a room with 2 double beds instead of a king. We traveled with 3 other couples and they all got a king bed, however they requested it in their booking, we did not. We spent 2 nights in this room and by the third they had a king room on the third floor. The third floor was better as the room wasn't musty. All the ground floor rooms were musty. So don't forget to request the beds you want and the floor too! Make sure when you check in that the room has the beds you want and the floor you want too. One other thing with the rooms is the patio doors not locking very well. We had no issues, but it was a little disconcerting. No problems with the safe or any of the contents we left in it. There seems to be a trend with not getting facecloths replenished. It happened to us and another couple we were with for one day and I've read reviews that it happened with others so I brought a couple of my own and all was well.
The beds in both rooms were comfy and clean. Read prior reviews that said they were hard so I was worried, but worried for nothing.
There were quite a few people travelling with children. I was a little surprised by the very young (and often miserable, over tired and over stimulated) children travelling with their families, however to each their own. If you don't want to deal with crying children maybe go to an adults only resort.
The staff was friendly and very helpful. We didn't encounter one rude person while we were there. There does seem to be somewhat of a language barrier, but everyone does at least try.
Bring dollar bills for tipping and a big insulated mug for drinks at the pool and beach....saves the many trips back because the drinks are excellent.
We didn't book our alacartes right away, but still got into the Spanish, Mexican and Steak House. Spanish was great, Mexican ok and the steak house was excellent. We couldn't get into the seafood, but we waited too long.....book as soon as you get there. The buffet was awesome and changed in variety and theme every night so it was great. Actually preferred it most nights to the alacartes. You can go when you're ready and don't have to plan your day around a reservation.
The property is big, but defiantly not too big. The size makes it less crowded, you can always get a chair at the pool, beach and get drinks fairly quickly. There were hardly any waits at the bars, restaurants or the front desk, which was nice.
We went on several excursions and all were great. Shopping in Playa Del Carmen, Chichen Itza, para sailing, deep sea fishing, Explor day trip and the ladies had a massage at the Spa. No complaints about any of these trips or the Spa (use your coupons that you're given upon check in for the spa, you'll save quite a bit). Also there's a tip built into you bill at the Spa so be aware of that and base your tip accordingly. All were excellent.
Shopping at the little plaza at the Tropical was great. The prices in those shops were very comparable to off the resort, which I was surprised so you don't need to leave to buy a few souvenirs.
In closing I do recommend this resort and I would return as would all 3 couples that traveled with us!

Room Tip: Specify the bed type when booking and checking in. Also the third floors are less musty and are qui...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sherry F
Uxbridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Went to the Barcelo, 2 years ago and I don't have one complaint about this resort. Loved the resort, staff and food. The steakhouse a la carte meal was fantastic, and I loved the main buffet.
From the cancun airport it was about a hour drive. Nothing to complain about.

Room Tip: We where on the ground floor and it was great. No bugs.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Cheri C
Quincy, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just returned from Maya beach,, 4th trip to riveria,2nd to Barcelo,Maya beach,other was the Tropical,it was recently remodeled an nice,But starting with front desk staff,poor an unconcerning,took my kids an grandkids ,3 rms were suposed to be together ,paid for Oceanfront premier club,it is closest to the ocean BUT you cant see it, we were suposed to have express ck in an out ,,never saw it either way,was told it wasnt needed,1 rm was some distance from other 2,an was told they were sold out ,no other option,, the room we should of had was vacant! told later we needed to bribe deskclerk,with upgrade was to get in rm beach towels ,they were there on ck/in never again ,,ran out of wash clothes with 2 days to go an never got another,as someone else said about getting early reservations in al acarte resturaunts,they were hard to get but resturants were only 1/2 full entire time we were there,,The seafood resturant was our favorite and outstanding,, had Moses as our waiter twice a he ranks at the TOP anywhere !!Also Carlos who arranges tours by the pool was outstanding at giving insider info to make your stay fun an reasonable,REally nice person! Last an biggest complaint, it was our 40th anniversary trip so daughters an husbands arranged privite romantic dinner on beach for us with Marachi band an all on thursday nite,,,tuesday they called an said because of a wedding WE were canceled an moved to wednesday,,which wouldnt work because of previous plans,, then they said it was NOnrefundable,so thats the way it is,,as if the weddings were planned tuesday???after much arguing an More duress,they gave in an did not charge them,, so we All went to the Palace an had a GREAT dinner in there Brazilian resteruant ,an fun was had by all .. only other thing is there is absolutely NO service at the pools,other than swim up bar an NO services whatsoever on or near the beach an it can be quite a walk so IF you think our going to drink your monies worth ,,you better stay REAL close to the bar,,,,,, in closing it IS a BEAUTIFUL resort BUT VERY large so wear ur walking shoes!! it is to bad they have these service issues cause it could be one of the nicest resorts there IF they gave the service You expect from a top notch resort,,in talking to others at this an other of the 5 resorts everyone felt the same were issues an it didnt seem all that busy,, and they certainly werent concerned

Room Tip: how do you tell ur at there mercy ,an alot depends on your ck in person,but 3rd floor is deffently q...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,183 reviews
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#72 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,562 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!