Barcelo Maya Beach
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Barcelo Maya Caribe(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Beachfront
Barcelo Maya Palace(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Colonial(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Tropical(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Pool
View Hotel
LM by Inmense(Puerto Aventuras)
9,208 results
All reviewsmaya beachcoba buildingfishplaya del carmenspanish restaurantother resortsrancho grandea la carte restaurantscaptain morganslobby barbeach buffetmini golfbeach sectionbeautiful resortbuffet foodsteakpalm trees
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Just returned from Barcelo Maya Beach Resort for a wedding. I was so disappointed and would probably never consider going back to Mexico, let alone Barcelo. This is my first trip to Mexico and unfortunately the experience was herrific. Let's start from the beginning - We were a group of about 35 people attending a wedding and upon our arrival we were never served a welcome drink, (we arrived at 12 noon). Our checkin at the hotel was at 3:00, and had to wait; however that was fine because we had access to the facilities. After that first day, everything went downhill from there. I don't think that there was one person in our group that did not get sick, vomiting and the runs. Even one other tourist (unfortunate for him) was vomiting in the dinning room as we were eating breakfast, and we obviously had to leave. The service in the buffet was terrible. We were with a couple of kids and sometimes had to wait 1/2 hour at the dinning room before getting a high chair and getting service. The buffet was BORING!! No matter what the theme was, it was always the same food being served and there was absolutely no variety. The service at the bars were terrible. We had to wait and wait and sometimes just never got served. I could go on and on, but for those who don't believe, go to the BARCELO MAYA BEACH RESORT and see for yourself. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
14  Thank Chipper_quebec
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We were at the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort Dec. 22- 29th. This was our first experience on a Christmas vacation so we were not sure what to expect.

We found the check in a little slow, especially after a long day of travel.

We were in room 2111. We thought it was a fantastic room. It was a Junior suite. Which gave us more living space and a sofa that turned into a little bed. Which worked great for our family of 4, which included 2 teenagers. The room was clean, always. The mini-bar/fridge was stocked with a great assortment of drinks, and a few snacks everyday. Our room was a ground floor room, which looked right out at the pool. Which we thought was great. We spent a lot of time at that pool. It was a 2 minute walk to the beach buffet, and another 30 seconds to the beach.

The beach at the Maya beach end of the resort (the resort encompasses 5 resorts) was the best. Few rocks/coral. We went without swim shoes. But for snorkeling by the pier, we which we had them.

The snorkeling at this resort is best off the pier. But swim away from all the 'ugly' fish being fed. There are a lot of beautiful fish over in the coral.

We ate breakfast and dinner every day in the main buffet by the lobby. We found the service, selection and cleaniliness of the buffet great! There was always something for everyone. There were never any lines. And our glasses were always full. The only time this was different was Christmas Eve. They had a special dinner that night, and that was the biggest crowd we saw all week.

We went on the Segway tour of the resort while there. And that was a lot of fun. We saw parts of the resort we wouldn't have seen otherwise. Highly recommend this.

We didn't participate in many of the activities, not our thing, but the staff looked great!

We spent some extra money and went to the Japanese resort over at the other resort. We were not able to get the 'show table', but our meal was delicious nevertheless. Highly recommend that.

The only 'negative' comments I would have:
- check in was too slow
- there is no pool side or beach side service - I actually found this surprising for a resort of this calibre
- no towel art (not a big deal, but first time there wasn't any)

Overall, of the 5 AI resorts we have been too, this is one of our favorites. And I would go back to a Barcelo anytime.

Room Tip: Have an understanding of where your room is, it could increase the amount of walking you do.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank decalsnorth
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Great food,,,All Incl....the best wasy to go.
great service ,,From check in to check out ,,,
great beach,,long walks ,,
been there 3 times ,,loved it,
Great for couples,,
Take a taxi back to the airport at then end of your trip,,saves from standing in longlines and arriving way to early
hope to go back,,

Room Tip: There all good...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Tedso64
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Just got back from the Barcelo and after reading the previous reviews I am wondering if they stayed in the same hotel. I could find no fault with the hotel at all. Arrival was fine checked in quickly and easily with a welcome drink at reception.

Room; Our room was lovely, it was spotlessly clean had everything we needed, the bed was so comfortable and the pillows I wanted to bring home, like sleeping on marshmallows. Bed was changed everyday as well as towels and bathroom bits and bobs.

Food; The buffet was extensive and I thought catered to everyone's taste I am a rather picky eater but I never got bored with what was on offer, the a la carte dinners were also of good standard and it was nice to break away from the buffet for a more romantic dinner.

Facilities; Pool was huge and more than enough loungers to go around and the beach was beautiful, it is a tad rough under the feet getting in the sea and a bit of a drop initially but then gets sandy, however, I would recommend bringing swim shoes as there are rocks and coral the further you go out and I cut my foot and had to buy shoes there. There was plenty going on around the pool and on the beach during the day if you wanted to get involved but if you wanted peace and quite it is spacious enough to get some. Snorkeling at the pier was amazing we bought our own gear in Tulum which was a fraction of the cost in the hotel or Playa de Carmen.

Entertainment; Loads to do during the day, there was a show on every night in the theatre, we even got to see a ballet they put on the nutcracker which I was very surprised to admit was very good. I was a bit upset I never got to see a mariachi band and then on my last day there a band turned up and played at the bar.

Excursions; can't really comment on these as we didn't book any as we wanted a quite relaxing holiday, the only thing we did book was Coco Bongo which was worth every penny and a great night out.

Getting about; the only way to get about was by collectivo, these are the local mini-bus and cost 30 peso's per person no matter where you are going. You can get cabs but why bother. The collectivo went from Tulum to Play del Carmen and stopped right outside the hotel (main road not reception).. If you are going to Tulum they expect you to get off at the ruins, which is fine if you are going to the ruins, but if you want a taste of the real mexico get off at Tulum Centro, it is a bit more like a poor mans Playa but you can buy your souvenirs here at a fraction of the costs in Playa. Another plus for the hotel is that it is only across the road from the cenotes or just jump on a collectivo to the ones further away. Apparently the most beautiful one is walking distance from the hotel and it saves you a lot of money to pay at the cenotes than book it through either the rep or hotel.

Overall; we had a fantastic time and I would recommend this to anyone, beautiful hotel, beautiful surroundings some fantastic wild life around, we saw monkeys, iguana's, sereque's a host of different birds, was amazing. I am currently trying to convince my husband that we should go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Sandra_Mitchell
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Beach is beautiful and long,,,great for long long walk,,and you can find privacy,,
food is great ,fresh,,Mt fav the Fruit juices,,,Watermelon yummy
Service is awsome,,
Not the best night life only 1 danse bar ,,
Great for couples,,,
Water sports are plenty and affordable or free,,,
Been 3 times now and loved it..
Great deals available,,

Room Tip: All are nice,,
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple