“Wonderful Time at This Resort”

Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Toronto
“Wonderful Time at This Resort”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had time off at this time and booked this hotel based on price, available dates and our travel agents recommendation.

Overall, the resort/service/staff and experience was great!

We were told the Maya Beach was closed but we were moved to the Maya Caribe, which is all part of the same resort and did not affect our check in at all. There was no line to check in, the front desk staff warmly welcomed us and even put up with our rudimentary Spanish language skills. Very professional and courteous.

Room:
We were housed in the Sayil part of the hotel on the ground floor. The room was spotless, smelled fresh and clean and was also quite large. Beautiful king sized bed with good linen. The mattress and pillows were a little hard for my liking, but my partner liked that. In room safe was free and easy to use. The bathroom was a good size with a good bathtub and rain shower-head. Shampoo, conditioner and shower gel were in a dispenser on the wall, and they smelled really nice. Towels were huge, fluffy and good quality. Housekeeping was AMAZING and our room was kept spotless the whole time we were there. We always had a full mini bar and lots of towels. We had a slight problem with the water level rising in the tub as we took a shower, I called the front desk and they said they would send someone in a minute, literally a minute later a repair man was knocking at the door, LOL.

One negative about the room is that they aren't very sound proof. The hallways seem to amplify every sound so people that are returning to their rooms can be heard like they are inside your own rooms. You can hear your neighbours next door and the neighbours above you as well.

Food/Drinks

We were given 3 coupons to the a la carte restaurants but we only managed to use one in the Spanish Restaurant that is located in the lobby of Caribe. It was excellent. I highly recommend trying it.

The restaurant located just past the lobby was where we had most of our meals. The service was unbelievable! Attentive but not intrusive staff. When we got up to get a plate of food and came back to our table our napkins were refolded and more often than not someone was there to pull out my seat for me. Water and drinks never seemed to be empty, as the staff really made sure you were not wanting anything. We have never tipped at every meal in an all inclusive until this place, the staff really worked hard we showed our appreciation with a small offering. There was a lot of choices, a lot of food, it was pretty good, and the area was kept very clean. they had a vegetarian table and a kids table and they had theme nights like Mediterranean, Italian, Chinese, Mexican, etc. They served breakfast, lunch and dinner at reasonable times. Thank you to one waiter in particular who served us at many dinners, Alberto. he told us he had just started working there, he sure knew what he was doing for a new guy! :) We sat in his section many times and he always took excellent care of us, and others, everyone seemed to like him, a very nice guy!

Captain John's was open for lunch and snacks until 630pm, We went a couple times when we missed the buffet for one reason or another (side trip, siesta, etc) The food was good, service was not. On one occasion no one even asked if we wanted a drink, and it wasn't even busy. The two other times we went in there we were served, but it seemed like the staff almost resented the fact we were in there.

Bar service at the theatre was excellent. Bar service at the pool was just okay. Drinks were good, lots of choices and both the pool and theatre bartenders knew how to mix a drink! Yum!

Activities:
Lots of water sports, cool classes to take (we didn't do any of them), a great big pool with shade and full sun, tons of hammocks to lay about and nap in the shade) swim up bar and fountain. The beach was nice and well kept with lots of chairs and space.

Misc:
Great shopping with very nice (not pushy or aggressive) vendors (I really liked this). Very reasonable prices for cool stuff. Excursions were numerous and information could be found all over the hotel, we went on a couple, check out my reviews for them.

A huge thank you to the resort, we had a great time!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank travelbugcheri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had booked a family wedding here months in advance. The Barcelo switched our reservation between hotels 3 times. The fourth change we only found out about once we arrived and tried to check in at the wrong hotel.

Management didn't have a room available for our grandmother who is a recent amputee and must have a disabled room. The room was requested when the holiday was booked.

The only guests in our group who got the sleeping arrangements they requested were ones who bribed the reception staff.

Half way through the week the hotel manager called half the people in our group and told them to change hotels.

The week was a disaster. One stressful incident after another. These are just the highlights.

Never go here. And definitely never travel with a group here.

Room Tip: Bring bribery money. Or just don't go at all.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank cballarino
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Me and my wife went here in oct 2012 we stayed for ten days. upon arriving we were told that the maya beach was closed for renovations and we were upgraded to the maya tropical ( not really an upgrade as all four hotels maya beach, maya carribea, maya colonial, and maya tropical are all identical and all within half a mile of each other)I later found out that there was a huge convention of doctors/teachers that booked that side and it was in fact open. The resort was swarmed with people chanting for hours crowding the bars setting up tents , blocking off certain areas . The worst was the barrage Of police helicopters flying around the resort and the presence of police ,bomb technicians , and sniffing dogs. This made our first few days uneasy but was soon over. Within 24 hours of them leaving the hustle and bustle began again with a convention for the Spanish dish network that was being launched. They had catering trucks driving around beeping and backing up even on the beach during a couples wedding reception they were distraught no doubt. Setting up flags that soon became flying lawn darts in the wind . Bright inflatable water beds that riddle the grounds... And loud music that over played the wonderful bob marley that was playing on the beach. When this second convention came it crammed three of the five lobbies with people including a movie set right in the front entrance of the maya colonial . They told us we could no longer get drinks at two of the bars due to private parties and the complete lack of service at the buffets because the resort had not brought in extra staff. We visited our nightly hotspot at jaguars discotheque on the resort to find it crowded with older men with video cameras filming the few women that were in there.( illegal in other countries) when I pleaded with the bouncers and managers they did nothing and were very rude. Then to top it off these people had no all inclusive bracelets on and were harassing people to get them drinks even decided to bug me in the restroom!!! Minus all the negative the activities staff were great and always kept us occupied. The food was good when you could get to it without getting you're toes stepped on the staff were friendly and the rooms were clean and nice. The hotel is in a great spot to visit xplor, xcaret, or tulum. There is wonderful marine life right of the shore and iguanas all over even a turtles nest that they enclosed for there protection!! They bring in lions,monkeys ,snakes ,parrots to take photos of you with them but it's hit or miss and don't even try to take you're own pictures of them on a friend because they block youre shot!! The pictures are ten dollars each up to ten then five dollars each . What a marketing misfire. if I was in a large group or wedding I would highly recommend but if it is just a few of you or a couple then seek out another resort as we are just to small to be carried for on this resort the only courtesy call we got was to see if we wanted to buy time shares... Good luck and safe travels my friends!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dwayne L
Vancouver
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This resort was nice for the price.........its what you would expect from a 3.5 - 4 star resort. I never really enjoy going to the same resort twice as there are so many to see! So for that resort I probably will not go back :)
Resort -> The resort its self is quite small compared to other resorts I have been to; there are other Barceló resorts attached to this resort but you can only use some of the amenities at the other resorts or you would have to extra in order to use them and by the time you figured out where everything was it would be time to leave sooooooooooo we just stayed in our part. The grounds were clean, which was nice because some places you can go to they are not cleaned as well.
Staff-> It was really hit and miss.....sometimes they would be at your beck and call while others; you would try and get their attention and they would outright ignore you......the pool bar especially was not that great when it came to service. One time I asked for 4 shots of tequila and he looked right at me and said no....I thought he was kidding but when he walked away it was apparent that he wasn’t! :S lol
Room-> The room was nice! Make sure you ask to stay in the "newer" part as I stayed there but I heard that everyone else’s room was not as nice as ours. I had a room on the 1st floor and there was never any "noise issues" .....
Pool-> The pool was decent but because we went to in May/June it was sooooo hot out that the pools were luke warm (not that refreshing) .....
Beach-> The beach was beautiful! If you are going to the Riviera for the beach then this is the place for you! The entire beach is private and the water was soooo refreshing.....if you walk to where the dock is you can go and feed fish and they will swim around you. It freaked me out when I was swimming and someone put the entire bag of fish food in the water and at least 50-100 fish were swimming around me.......not cool!! LOL Snorkeling was nice there as well.
Entertainment -> The entertainment was basic......same types of shows as other resorts I have been to; Michael Jackson, men vs. women, circus acts ect. It was nice to be able to have dinner go to a show and then retreat back to the room on the nights that you just wanted to relax
Disco/ Nightclub -> The disco/nightclub was probably one of the best ones I have been to on a resort! Don’t go until 11-12 that’s when it gets fun! D.J played awesome music that got everyone dancing and the bar tender was very busy but you never seemed to wait very long.
Food -> The food was like every other resort. (buffet style) You will probably get sick of looking at it 4-5 days in but they you can just be creative and you wont hate it so much! lol The al a carte restaurants were good! The steakhouse was the best! Mexican was ok...thought it would be a lot better considering where I was!! lol...
Spa-> O....M.....G!!!! GO GO GO GO GO!!! If you do ANYTHING at this resort go to the spa!!!! The couples massage that me and my fiancé got were AMAZING!! An hour went by way to quickly! lol Then they left us alone for about half an hour ;) lol ....which was stress relieving as well!! ;)
All in all it was a nice relaxing vacation and its my opinion that your vacation is what you make it! You could focus on all the bad, which would make your vacation bad or you can focus on the culture, people, good things and relaxation and your vacation will be amazing!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Vancouver G
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed a week at this ressort. Very nice site and the rooms are beautiful. I found the beach "ok" (not very large but intimate).

The food was good and we had good choices. Good activites to do around. We felt safe. Drinks were mostly made of "sirup" or "essence" instead of real fruit but not a big deal.

The only drawback (and for me, it have a good impact on my vacations) was the unfriendly staff. I speak french, english and some decent spanish and it wasn't the language barrier. They weren't very helpfull and I haven't seen much smiles on their faces. Of course, they are some exceptions, (Juan at the restaurant and David at the bar were very nice people) but generally speaking, the administration really have to do something (or maybe treat them better) because they will eventually lose some costumers. Specially at the front desk during the day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Juan S
Indiana, United States
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The place was beautiful and the staff was absolutely amazing! Don't belive any review that says the staff was anything but amazing. Some people dont realize that that the staff members speak very little english and are from a totally different culture than us. They were great to me dispite the language barrier. They worked so hard to make you comfortable. Even though tips were included in my package, I made sure to tip extra to show my gratification for them. The pool was awsome! The beach was nice but a little too much coral and big rocks so I stayed in the pool most of the time. Every night the staff put on an awsome show in the theater and the night club was bumping! I went there for my best friends wedding and I will definetly be going back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank AaronMVP
Canada
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We got this package dirt cheap, it was worth every penny. The grounds were so beautiful, the food was actually amazing, most of the staff were very friendly and the beach was reasonably clean. The rooms very spacious for the three of us, they really didn't have lots of snacks available in your room, like other resorts we've stayed at, but that was ok. This is a very decent resort for families or people looking for value for their dollar.
We were upgraded upon check in, so that was a bonus. I felt that we did miss out on the other restaurants, at check in it the whole restaurant thing was not explained very well, or when we tried to ask the consigere she didn't seem to interested in helping. This resort is connected to four other resorts, so its very large, and lots of little areas to go exploring. There is lots of shopping on this resort, but keep in mind everything is so expensive.
You can not pay for anyhting with cash at the gift shops, you must charge it to your room. We did pay $14 US for a bag of chips, which is outrageous! Just be aware that you can only charge to your room, we had to settle up at the end of the trip.
They did close down one side of the resort, our lobby area bar, and reception and our buffett, so it did force us to go to the next hotel to eat, and for check out. This cosure was not really explained very well and it really had poor signage, which left most of us confused.
Over all this is a very good four star resort. We would return in a heart beat!
The travellers photos are what you will expect. As I mentioned earlier, the gorunds are beautiful, and the rooms were very good, had a great sleep very night, comfy beds. Transportation to and from was well organized and went on without a hitch.
Book your trip, you'll have a wonderful time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family