“Wedding trip, great time!!!”
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The place was beautiful and the staff was absolutely amazing! Don't belive any review that says the staff was anything but amazing. Some people dont realize that that the staff members speak very little english and are from a totally different culture than us. They were great to me dispite the language barrier. They worked so hard to make you comfortable. Even though tips were included in my package, I made sure to tip extra to show my gratification for them. The pool was awsome! The beach was nice but a little too much coral and big rocks so I stayed in the pool most of the time. Every night the staff put on an awsome show in the theater and the night club was bumping! I went there for my best friends wedding and I will definetly be going back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank AaronMVP
There are newer reviews for Barcelo Maya Beach

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We got this package dirt cheap, it was worth every penny. The grounds were so beautiful, the food was actually amazing, most of the staff were very friendly and the beach was reasonably clean. The rooms very spacious for the three of us, they really didn't have lots of snacks available in your room, like other resorts we've stayed at, but that was ok. This is a very decent resort for families or people looking for value for their dollar.
We were upgraded upon check in, so that was a bonus. I felt that we did miss out on the other restaurants, at check in it the whole restaurant thing was not explained very well, or when we tried to ask the consigere she didn't seem to interested in helping. This resort is connected to four other resorts, so its very large, and lots of little areas to go exploring. There is lots of shopping on this resort, but keep in mind everything is so expensive.
You can not pay for anyhting with cash at the gift shops, you must charge it to your room. We did pay $14 US for a bag of chips, which is outrageous! Just be aware that you can only charge to your room, we had to settle up at the end of the trip.
They did close down one side of the resort, our lobby area bar, and reception and our buffett, so it did force us to go to the next hotel to eat, and for check out. This cosure was not really explained very well and it really had poor signage, which left most of us confused.
Over all this is a very good four star resort. We would return in a heart beat!
The travellers photos are what you will expect. As I mentioned earlier, the gorunds are beautiful, and the rooms were very good, had a great sleep very night, comfy beds. Transportation to and from was well organized and went on without a hitch.
Book your trip, you'll have a wonderful time.

7  Thank jennyjackass
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a brialliant two week holiday in Mexico at the Barcelo Maya Beach. My teenagers loved being able to order their own cocktails at the swim up bars etc. The beach and sea were beautiful and snorkelling with Turtles at Akamal Beach was a delight. It was super to be on holiday at a superb resort and be able to visit Mayan sites nearby, swim in a sinkhole (cenote) and visit Mexican towns. We all came back well rested, brown and well fed. The snorkelling was not as dramatic as the Maldives as the reef is much further out but there is some fish nearer shore. There was also sailing and windsurfing to do as well as reading and lazing in the sun. A thoroughly enjoyable holiday and we will go back one day.

9  Thank UKSkiMom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband, myself, and 20 of our friends and family traveled to the Barcelo property in the Riviera Maya to have our wedding on the beach in May 2012. Our entire trip, outside the wedding, was amazing. The service was great, good food (besides the outside buffet, it made us sick), awesome drinks, and amazing weather! However I am giving this resort a rating of a 2 because they completely ruined our wedding experiance. We were told by this resort that if we wanted to do a legal wedding on the beach, it would be easy, quick, and legal in the US as well. We paid an extra $400 to make our wedding legal at the resort, they told us it would take up to 3 months to get our marriage certificates in the mail. THEY LIED! 3 months went by, no certificate shows up. When I contact the resort they said that it takes a minimum of 4 months to recieve them and that they are only legal in mexico and not the US, they also would not be translated to english and that I would have to do that myself! After 4 & 1/2 months went by they finally sent me my certificates and I then had to take them to a university to be translated then sent to the secretary of the state to be leaglized (another $300). After we had already spend $15,000 at this hotel between us and our family they were mean, rude, and unprofessional about everything after our trip. They comletely stressed my husband and I out through this whold ordeal because we were not allowed to add him to any of my benifits at work till we got the papers and I could not change my name on anything until I had them as well. Because of the way they treated us after we left and already paid them, I will NOT be returning to this resort.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Toni L
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Did we stay at the same place as the previous reviewers? I don't think it's possible. We have just got back from the Barcelo Maya - one family in the Beach and the other in the Caribe and neither family could find much to criticise. Our room was immaculately clean, sheets changed every day and never a trace of sand or dust left, the beds were very comfortable and air con plus fan kept it at just the right temp. for a great night's sleep. The staff were friendly and courteous. There was nothing wrong with the buffet food, which was limited only by your willingness to try something new each night and we found the a la carte restaurants excellent - we tried the Mexican, Spanish, Italian and Seafood. The Mexican was the most fun - try the amazing mayan coffee, which is poured, flaming, between two pots in a great display and tastes lovely. The waiters brought us sombreros for our pictures, which they took for us without being asked.
The grounds are beautiful and regularly tended - all of the fountains were cleaned and maintained each day and there were always gardeners at work. The beach is beautiful and kept well cleaned. We were lucky to see some baby turtles being released back into the ocean during our stay.There is a huge variety of activities on offer and nobody of any age could possibly be bored. The only shortcomings we found were that it took some time to get a second cup of coffee at breakfast or wine at dinner and the shows in the theatre were a little too loud for our tastes but seemed to please others. There is an immense variety to see and do in the surrounding area and we would recommend that you try scuba diving - dressel divers at the hotel are very professional and reliable, snorkelling at Akamal Bay where the turtles feed, visits to Chichen Itza, Coba, at least one cenote above and below ground and the three parks Xel-Ha, Xcaret and Xplore (you can get a two or three park pass online before you go and taxis from the hotel will drop and collect you- you pay on the return trip). One thing to watch out for at the parks is the charges for pictures, which are ridiculous. Take your own camera (waterproof for Xplore) Our kids 15,14,&12 also enjoyed the pirate night from cancun. We recommend Yucca Treks for smaller tours to avoid endless hotel pick-ups and get expert local knowledge. Book them online before you go.We didn't use the hotel spa so can't comment on this- too busy enjoying ourselves!

Room Tip: Rooms nearer the pool/sea are quieter- we had no noise whatsoever throughout the stay.
24  Thank Wendy S
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This was my first trip here with my daughter...We normally go to Cancun. First of all the grounds were absolutely gorgeous. But,The rooms were disappointing. Our room had a very strong mildew odor. All the metal lamps and furnishings in the room had chipped paint or was rusty. The beds are very hard and the pillows are like bags of cement. Our lights would go off periodically until we went to the front desk and they sent someone to fix. We never had wash clothes the whole time we were there. We had a coffee maker but no pot. I went to the front desk as I did not wish to be charged for missing room items. That was disappointing also. No one there spoke English that day. It seemed about 95% of the staff did not speak ANY English. It was not a friendly place at all. It is so big you probably would not see the same people twice.
Traveling there makes the trip a lot longer as it is about 1 1/2 ride by car from the Cancun Airport.
Daniel, from Best Day tours was a sweet heart. He answered many of our questions as he spoke English very well and he explained a lot.
If you want to hide away somewhere and not be bothered by anyone or see anyone this is the place for you. You could disappear here and no one would know it or miss you.
It is such a huge place it is very confusing at first and a lot of walking is involved. If you do not get around well this place is not for you either.
The food was plentiful but becomes boring as they serve the same food everywhere, everyday. (I have to say the soups were very tasty though.)
No one cares to ask you your name or where you are from. Maybe it is the language barrier. But it was much, much different here than Cancun. My over all opinion of this place is, after staying here I don't have an opinion. Over all feel. I don't think I would make the effort to go back.

Room Tip: There did not seem to be many airconditioned area's at the Barcelo Beach. But they had the best...
13  Thank Lorraine_B115
Reviewed August 27, 2012

What others are saying is absolutely correct ! The resort is Beautiful ! However, when paying a large amount for a vacation a beautiful resort is not good enough.
The rooms were ok, but the pillows were awful ! Took 3 days to get a new pillow.
The food is not great. The buffet is the same thing every day. Not a huge selection.
The staff is not friendly at all. The bartenders are very rude and you wait forever to get service.
Front desk not helpful at all, waiters were ok. The activity staff around the pool are not friendly and snobby. We spent every day of our vacation lounging around the pool and not even a hello. Definately not the same interaction we have had from other resorts.
The Barcelo is given a 4.5 star rating but that is for the beauty of the resort.
If you take into consideration everything else I rate this resort a 2 at best.
Dont waste your money. Go somewhere where you are valued as a guest and where you see they are making a genuine effort to please you.

7  Thank Micelf33
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#71 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!