“So many babies!”
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed February 7, 2012

The Beach is a lovely resort with all the usual amenities and my husband and I would have enjoyed our stay there but for one thing. The walls are paper thin and it seemed like every other room contained a family with an infant. Getting woken every morning to crying babies is not my idea of a vacation. I understand bring ing children with you on vacation and this resort catered to them very well but why someone would bring infants that are barely out of the womb is beyond me.
I am not anti babies, I have two wonderful grandchildren that I would love to vacation with as soon as they are old enough to enjoy the trip. Aside from that one annoying aspect, we loved the resort.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fredslady
Write a ReviewReviews (8,693)

Reviewed February 7, 2012

I came away totally exhausted....however, the staff, the food, the amenities were excellent. I believe it to be excellent for families or if your travelling alone. This was my first experience at an all inclusive. If you are time strapped, just want the sand and surf without the fuss, this would be an excellent destination. If you want the Mexican experience....I'd go to the west coast. I found the Mayan to be just one All Inclusive after another...no integration into the real world. You just have to chose what fits the bill. Beverages at the swim up bar are not great, but at the lounges and restaurants they are excellent. If you have any eating challenges - there will be something at the buffet for you. Excellent

Room Tip: I enjoyed being close to beach on the bottom floor near the pools. It is a very big hotel. Take co...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alaska-Highway-girl
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We just returned from a one week stay from the Barcelo Beach on February 5th. There were three of us, myself and my husband and our 7 year old. We arrived at the resort at about 11:00 am and were told there were no rooms available until 3:00. So luckily I had packed shorts and bathing suits in our carryon bags so we could at least go to the pool to wait 4 hours for our room. We were all very tired having left at midnight our time and were looking forward to getting a room and taking a shower and a nap. We had requested the third floor pool or ocean view and were told that it would not be a problem. My husband went to the lobby desk at 5 to 3:00 and was told to come back in 20 minutes, then another 20 minutes. Finally we got to our room at 3:40 only to find it on the second floor with a thick jungle view of nothing but trees. We were too tired to complain and decided to just accept this as just a minor kink in our week.

Later we went to book our ala cart choices, we were promised 3 and were told that we could only get 2 as they were already booked up. We were able to get into the Spanish and the Mexican. What we really wanted the most was the steak house and were told it was only open 3 days a week. We both felt a bit ripped off when you pay for and expect 3 choices. The food at the resort is medium quality at best. And the Mexican restaurant is just plain awful. You are rushed through, the food was terrible and I felt like it was an inconvenience to them when I asked for a coffee after our meal. The buffets were very busy with pushy rude people and I found that the food was very bland and usually tasted the same. We had a lot of fruit as it was the only thing that always looked and tasted fresh.

The rooms and the resort were clean and well kept only since we had the second floor the sleep quality was not great as you could hear the rooms above you using the showers at all hours of the night.

The only think that makes this resort stand out is the pools were very nice the beach is excellent and the kids areas are quite nice. Most of the wait staff are friendly as are the bartenders, some better than others. The bell men are very friendly and helpful and Front desk staff and concierge will at least put a smile on their face when they tell you they can't help you with any of your issues.

My idea of an All inclusive is not having to pay 12$ a day for internet, not being charged $3 for wanting a Baileys and coffee. They even charged for the mini-putt and we felt that was excessive so we did not try it.

I would not return to this resort. We have stayed at other resorts in Cancun and the Mayan Riviera and there are far better options available.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank snickers07
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Wife and I stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort from 14 Jan to 20 Jan in the Coba building. We were given a family suite on the third floor of the building. The family suites are like small apartments with kitchenette complete with a fridge, stove, microwave oven, a living room with sofa, couch, 30" or so LCD TV, a full bathroom, a spacious bedroom with a king bed, and a large balcony overlooking a well maintained garden and small jungle. We did not get the upgrade, which would have put us closer to the pools and beach and an alcohol upgrade.

The Maya Beach resort is also a part of the larger Barcelo complex which has a total of five hotel resorts streching over a kilometer along the Mayan Riviera Coast. All of the other resorts are of the same or higher quality, going up in scale from the Maya Beach up to the Maya Palace, the most northernmost resort. With the latter being the highest quality, the other resorts are the Caribe, which is about the same quality as the Maya Beach, and the Tropical and Colonial resorts which are similar in quality to each other, but are higher than the Maya Beach but less than the Palace. That said, we were fully pleased with the quality at the Maya Beach resort.

The grounds of the Maya Beach resort are gorgeous, as are all of the resorts. The lawns were green, gardens, flowers and trees appeared lush. Palm trees galore and big colourful hibiscus everywhere! The beautiful patterned concrete walking paths, Mayan inspired statues, thatch-hut buildings for buffets, bathrooms, and activities are well built, well maintained, and attractive. During our stay there was a problem with the railings of one of the bridges that goes over the pools, and the staff had it torn down and re-built within 24 hours with as minimal disruption that you can expect with such a job. The maintenance staff, well my hat goes off to them.

All of the pools including those of the other resorts which you can use are clean and nice. We visited three pools and we found them excellent. Clean, big, beautiful, and refreshing. There are two areas for kids where the resort has a full water park for them. Slides, shallow pools, characters, and lots of water fun. There are activities in some of the pools (water aerobics, dancing, water basketball, volleyball, etc)

There is roughly 1.5km of beach at this resort. Most of which is covered with beautiful soft white sand leading to the famous blue Caribbean sea. If you like activities like beach soccer and beach volleyball, you want to stay near the water sports area in the centre of the resort near the pier. There was always something happening. If you like quiet, the south section of the resort (Maya Beach section has 300m of beach that is sooooooooooooo peaceful. There are lots of palm trees along the beach for those times you need shade.

If you like to snorkel, this is a great choice for a resort. I found the best places to snorkel are directly off the pier, and 50m off the beach up towards the Maya Palace Resort. Never saw turtles, but there were about four sightings while we were there. I highly recommend snorkeling off the pier where there are hundreds of fish. It made for a great time.

Lots of sports and activities happening here. Every day there is a game of beach soccer, beach volleyball, outdoor bowling, tennis courts, bocce, basketball courts, a great mini-golf course, and a great soccer pitch that can be used at night for games. There is also an ATV tour you can take, which is a 1 hr trek through the beach, jungle, and a visit to a cenote. If you like Segways, you can have a tour on one of those as well.

The nightly shows are alright, I’m not big on the variety stage shows, but they were decent. They have a Mexican show, a Michael Jackson show, a circus show, a pop-music show, etc.. Definitely enough to keep you entertained.

We found the service to be excellent. We did not have any trouble with checking in, checking out, booking a la carte restaurants, or anything else. We found the maids to be friendly, always smiling and offering an “Hola!”. We enjoyed the service of the buffet restaurant staff and tipped them well when they went above and beyond, which happened a few times. A big thanks to Wilson!

In terms of the food, we found it to be very good. Sure there were things that we didn’t like, but we just avoided that and found something else to like! The buffets had a different theme every night we were there, and we were always able to stuff ourselves and walk out with a satisfied smile. We went to one al la carte restaurant, and we found it to be good as well. To me it seems like they use the same food as the buffet but they serve it in smaller portions and on a fancier plate. We did hear great reviews about some of the other restaurants, so we’ll give them a try another time.

I am not a big drinker but I found the alcohol to be weak. Maybe it is better with the premium upgrade???

Overall, we really enjoyed our time at the Barecelo Maya Beach resort. We have great memories and great pictures from our week there, and we can’t wait to go back. Barcelo Maya Beach resort was great value!!!

Room Tip: Choose LOWER room numbers. The lower the last two numbers, the closer to the beach and pools. Exam...
8  Thank pastadutchie
Reviewed February 6, 2012

If huge surfaces and all-inclusive is your thing, then the Barcelo is a good choice. There's nothing wrong with the hotel itself, everything is clean and tidy and the service is good. But all-inclusive resort is probably not my thing.

1  Thank Manfred Z
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Two things that prevents me from giving this place a 5 star rating..

1) The "DJ" on the Barcelo Maya Beach side is quite possibly the most obnoxious personality I have ever come across. Then to give him a loud speaker and a whistle, what are they thinking? When it comes to the beach, thankfully its not too far a walk until he no longer is audible. Suggest if you can, don't buy on the "Beach" side.

2) I am not sure how you can call something "ALL-Inclusive" and then feel it is OK to charge extra for internet. While we were there for the week they were under going a test of their new wifi system (which has excellent coverage), except on the last day as we were leaving it unfortunately was asking for a password. We went to the front desk and they said that it was free for just that week and from now on it is $12 a day for internet access on wifi. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Other than those 2 points everything else was excellent or acceptable. The buffet is hit and miss sometimes, but this is my first time to a resort so not sure what to expect there.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Beach side
3  Thank smysnk
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Apart from the scenic grounds I was deeply disappointed in my stay at Barcelo Maya Beach. I was visiting with a large group of people attending a wedding at one of the neighbouring resorts.

Food - All of my meals were cold and tasteless, I question just how sanitary the food was as I developed food poisoning a few days into my trip and also know another family suffering with the same issue. Even the al-a-carte restaurant meals were disappointing, and it was amusing I was limited to three al-a-carte restaurant visits during my 8 day stay. Believe me, it's not much different from the buffet food-quality wise.

Smoking - I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned by past reviews but I was disturbed by just how much smoke there was at this resort, from the restaurants to the outdoor common areas, to (especially) the pubs, the smell of tobacco was nauseating. If you're a smoker, you'll be ecstatic by just how much freedom you have at this resort to smoke but if you're a non-smoker or allergic to smoke, you will find yourself limited.

Room - The room itself was clean, no facecloths although that is pretty common with Mexican resorts, the beds however were extremely hard and not overly comfortable. Calling long-distance from the room is not recommended, even using a calling card you will be hit with a hefty $6 US fee. Overall, the room amenities were budget quality similar to a 2/3 star hotel in Canada. Also I only noticed one english TV channel with the rest being spanish as there is no satellite T). Room service is not included as there is a $8 per-plate charge. There's also no wifi in the room.

I would never stay at this resort again nor would recommend others to do so. There's a lot of choice in the Riviera Maya, and I must say, all of the complaints I have read on this site about this hotel have all been true and I've seen it for myself first hand.

4  Thank bwb01
#71 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!