We stayed 5nights at this resort and had a wonderful time. We did upgrade our room once we arrived. The first room they gave us was 7011 on the ground floor with no view at all. I asked to upgrade to an ocean view and we were moved to the Catalonia Yukatan side of the resort to room 3129. The upgrade was only $35 night more and it was well worth it. We had a nice balcony with nice wicker furniture directly overlooking the beach. Also included in the upgrade was a fully stocked mini bar(soft drinks and water only) and free use of the room safe. The elevator was very small and only worked about 1/2 the time. Not a biggie for us but could be a problem for some.
We found the service to be very good. Drinks were not watered down in the least, the bartenders were friendly and helpful. Service was a little slow while on the beach but they did come around every so often. We were there for a wedding and several of our party stayed next door at the Sunscape (more expensive and they were not impressed with the service or drinks there at all!)Others stayed at the Spa Palace which was gorgeous but quite a bit more expensive and while the website shows a beach, they actually do not have one at all. The beach at the Catalonia was by far the best of all three resorts. We snorkeled right off the beach and it was some of the best snorkeling we have done.
The food was not that great. Lots of variety but none of it was very good. It wasn't horrible but just not a lot of flavor. I am not a picky eater at all but by day 4 I was pretty sick of the food. We only ate one night at the reservations only restaurant. We chose the Mexican one and it was pretty good. The biggest disappointment was the desserts - just not good at all. But, we didn't go for the food so it wasn't a big deal for us.
There is an Alamo car rental counter on site and we rented a car for a day and drove down to Tulum. This was a great way to go. The roads are fine, we had no trouble. The rental rate was only $50 and there was no entry fee at Tulum. We talked to people who did the tour and spend $69 per person to go in a huge bus with a million other tourists. We were not on a schedule and were able to enjoy the ruins, the beach and all points in between at our own pace. We stopped and had lunch at a local bar/grill and had a fabulous day. The care was small and a manual 4 speed but the A/C worked great.
I called Sprint before we left to have the international module turned on on my phone. Worked like a charm for the first 2 1/2 days then mysteriously quit - was unable to place or receive calls. There was an 800 number posted on our room phone to give to US residents to call. I went to an internet cafe in Puerto Aventours to email the number but no one in my family was able to get the call to go through. The interent cafe only charged $1 for 10minutes so that became our source of communication. I did talk to others with Cingular who had no trouble at all.
We would most definatley return to this resort. Dollar for dollar, I don't think you can beat it! Fee free to email if you have any questions. Hope this was helpful - sorry if it was too long!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Caribbean Sea's turquoise waters can be seen from this hotel-paradise. Come and get ready to spend some unforgettable days in the heart of the Mayan Riviera, surrounded by marvelous landscapes and seductive, white sand beaches. The hotel is located in the wonderful Puerto Aventuras development. This is a tourist development which boasts a marina for yachts, a golf course, restaurants and dolphin tanks, all within easy reach of the main Mayan Riviera attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Catalonia Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
- Catalonia Hotel Mexico
- Catalonia Rivera Maya
- Riviera Maya Catalonia
- Hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Riveria Maya
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort
- Catalonia Riviera Maya All Inclusive
- Catalonia Mexico