“Nice Hotel, Quiet Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel, Quiet Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

Room was fairly standard fare for the price, nice and clean and well maintained and the maids took good care of the place. Layout can be slightly confusing at first with two lobbies but once you get to grips with it everything is fine. Found the lobby staff difficult to deal with at times but most were lovely.

The beach front is fantastic, and the sea activities are really good fun. If you walk down to the left of the hotel, there is a really nice open area and a hut which does fantastic smoothies as part of the hotel. The marina is a short walk away, and plenty of activities are on offer.

The ala carte restaurants are fantastic, especially the Mexican that is on offer, although there is also a really nice steak house and sometimes a BBQ. Very professional waiters, and I would strongly recommend visiting a variety of them with the vouchers you are given. Conversely, the buffet meals are somewhat lacklustre, but fairly standard food as you would expect.

A special mention should be given to Thomas Cooks representative (Apologies, I have forgotten her name) who was fantastically helpful, and absolutely invaluable.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Mark M
catrivieramaya1, Генеральный директор at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear Mark M,

Let me cordially thank you for your honest opinion!
We are happy to know that your holidays with us were enjoyable.
Anytime you feel like you wish to get your room bigger and with extended service, do not hesitate to ask for upgrade with our Concierge service, we will be happy to assist you.
Hope to host you again soon so we could treat you with a privilege of being our repetitive guest.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,005)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Naperville, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

My husband & I stayed eight days at this resort. This was our 4th visit to Mexico but the first to this resort and area. We really tried to give this resort the benefit of the doubt because we got such a deal -kind of a "you get what you pay for" mentality; however, there are just some things you can't overlook. We stayed "standard" and found it a bit off putting that right away we were told we could have a better room, better view, basically better everything if we upgraded to "privileged". Be prepared - this will cost you a few hundred per person, per night to do this. I found it odd that you have to upgrade to get things like your room safe included without an additional fee. We decided to stick with standard as we had not yet seen our room or the resort yet. Tip - you can always decide to upgrade later. Also be prepared for hotel staff to be salesmen and get you to attend their presentation, come back to the resort, or purchase a lobster dinner. We disliked that their "post/station" was right in the middle of the main path to the pool and restaurants. We spent the entire week taking an alternate route to avoid the hassle. Our "garden view" room backed to the trash bins and the service entrance where we got to hear the constant beeping of trucks backing up. The bed was AWFUL and the room was not very clean. I would describe the resort as dingy or rundown in some areas. You can tell some things are cheaply maintained. I imagine that the upgrade provides a better overall experience.

On the plus side - the area is beautiful, the beach is amazing, and you can't help but love the weather. We thought the food at the voucher restaurants was excellent. Sadly we only received 4 vouchers for our entire stay. The staff is friendly. No complaints on the drinks, either. We would return to the area, but choose a different resort.

Room Tip: Avoid "garden view" and upgrade to "privileged" prior to arrival to avoid disapp...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank MissT2124
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the CAT for 5 nights. We were nervous as our departure approached because of the negative reviews. But, I am so glad that we stayed there!! We booked through Apple vacations and their was no difference noted between the catalonia or the Yukatan on the site. We booked an oceanfront room (which happened to be on the Yukatan side and automatically get preferred accommodations). We were able to check in on the Catalonia side (as that is where we were dropped off by our airport transportation). Hotel staff was very nice and accommodated us with a upper level room, as requested. The room was perfect. We had 3 balconies (two pool, and 1 beach front). The view was amazing!! The Yukatan side was much more quiet than the Catalonia side. The Pure bar was awesome to sit and relax! Juan was the nicest bar tender. Here are my reviews and suggestions:

Buffet restaurants- just ok. Not outstanding.
Taras Tapas- I am not much of a sea food lover, but the vegetarian options were very good! The view was amazing!!!!!
The Japanese steak house- MY FAVORITE! and every one else's. Lol. Get there early!
The Bamboleo- Dinner was so delicious. The steak was very good!! It is a snack bar Buffet during the day and is probably the best of the buffets.
Room service- is ok. If you want breakfast, you must order the night before.
Spa- we wanted beach side massages. But, quickly ruled it out at the hotel spa. The cost was pretty high (160.00 USD per person) and the location of where we saw the massages being given, was terrible. These poor people had no privacy at all. Instead, go to the hut on the beach to the right of the Yukatan (off of the resort about 100 feet). There is a husband and wife who do massages. It is semi private and quiet (unlike the resort during the day). They only charged 50.00 per hour, per person. And it was truly the only massage that I have ever fallen asleep while getting. I was that relaxed.

Take about 75.00 in 1$ bills for tipping. I think we tipped a lot more money because nobody seemed to have change for our larger pesos. Lesson learned.

Yes, there were a few rude staff members (2 bar tenders during the day). But, there are always going to be a few unhappy people wherever you go. Nothing was stolen, and house keeping didn't clean our room if there were any visible electronics or valuable items in view.

It was such a relaxing and good time. We will be back next year, for sure!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Danielle W
catrivieramaya1, Генеральный директор at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear Danielle W,

We would like to thank you such nice comments about our hotel facilities. We really appreciate your comments about the hotel and staff, we work every day to give you our best service and make you feel comfortable.

We all are deeply glad to hear that you spent a great time with us. We feel very proud of the impression you have from the hotel and our service.

It will be our pleasure to welcome and host you in Catalonia once again! Please show up on our Concierge desk so we could arrange you a little repetitive-guest- compliment :)

Sincerely your,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

When I first arrived here it was very nice , people are very friendly .. Went to the pool , beach was nice but very rocky . I have a few complaints though , there is no night life !! Everyone is just sitting around and it's mostly a resort for couples or older people. I wouldn't suggest to bring your young adult children here , they close the pools so early and the bar closes at midnight ?! What kind of vacation is this ?? The food isn't even that great .. Pasta is undercooked and chewy .. Raviolis were dry .. We went to a restaurant that we had to pay 15$ a person and I got fried fish and it tasted like mush and oil in my mouth . The only thing good that I've been eating everyday because I refuse to eat the rest was the pizza and guac that I could of stAyed he for . I also don't think they should use the word privileged (but that's just me) . I've been to Mexico before but never had such a bad time like this one .

• Stayed August 2014
6 Thank Lexaperdikos624
Kokomo, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2014

The hotel wasn't bad but it wasn't great. I love to get more bang for my buck though. If u have the option($) to choose another hotel w/ more stars & better reviews for $100 or less go for another hotel. The workers at Catalonia Riviera Maya were awesome. Including "sexy Mauricio" (he named himself) they are really a good time. BUT the ppl who stand in the middle of the resort that u have to dodge like the plague everytime u come outta ur room suck. Me & my HUBZ gave a guy 50 pesos and made him promise to leave us alone for the rest of our stay. They are that pesky. If they see u trying to avoid them they throw their arms up and call u out. By far the worst part of my trip on a DAILY basis. The food (buffet) (anywhere but the specialty restaurants) was mediocre. I'm usually not too picky about buffet food but bring ur own salt & hot sauce or it will be a very Bland stay. Lol

The privilege beach isn't walkable with water socks or without. U will need a cane lol. So if u like being in ocean don't pick this hotel. They have a lagoon but it has schools of fish in it...eeeww. We stayed in priv. Pool most of stay.

The hotel rents bicycles for free & that was probably the funnest part of trip. Bike riding to marina is great fun. Shopping, dolphins, manatees, ...& Gelato:)

They have nightly shows & a club. They also have a sports bar &we were there during NBA finals but were big fans so we watched n our room.

We will probably never return to Catalonia because it is to far from airport for so little. So I suggest instead of paying more for transfer from airport to hotel, stay in Cancun where it is 1/2 price pp & apply the extra cash to staying at a better hotel in Cancun. The worrisome time share ppl are enough to ruin ur entire stay.

Why stay somewhere u have to make the best of it? If I could go back I would just choose a better hotel

• Stayed April 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jwalks9112
PLEASANTVILLE
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2014

my women and I booked a privileged suite ,that room and the people who worked there were the only good things about this dump,we were supposed to get a priveliged check in,and that did not happen,supposed to get champhane on arrival,but got some kind of horrible juice and no warm towel.had to wait for our room to be ready,there were no slippers in the room had a broken lamp and the shower sprayer did not work ,and that's the best room they have,room service food was horrible,cant even get a soda from room service,no drinks at all from room service,the mini bar had 2beers and some soda,no liquer at all,i don't drink,but my women drinks champhane,and that is not included,what a disgrace,ok the privileged beach is real close together,i felt like a sardine,and of course it is dangerous to go in tha ocean ,very slippery rocks you might get a broken ankle if you try,the buffets were decent,but don't expect to get any shrimp,there were none,the resterants were just ok,ther were a lot of very rude guests there,i am not a saint but come on ,the romantic dinner on yhe beach,sucked because you cant see your food,thats the truth,my women cryed the first day it was that bad,put out the extra money and go somewhere else,this place is horrible,go to a real resort,please don't make the mistake I did.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank weepinbell65
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Dear Weepinbell65,

We regret we were able to fulfil your expectations.

Our staff went above and beyond to satisfy all your needs. In fact, Food & Beverage department made an exception providing with a bottle of Sparkling wine and orange juice everyday to your room and in every bar (considering that this is not a cocktail that we usually have).

When you informed the Staff about all the issues, they kindly provided a Romantic dinner by the beach at no extra charge to celebrate the special occasion.

We honestly feel very sorry that all our efforts were not enough.

We do appreciate the nice comments about the staff and the room and certainly hope that you can give us the chance to visit us again, and this time provide the best service as you both deserve.

KENSINGTON, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

The Catalonia Riviera Maya all-inclusive is a decent hotel, good value. Did a 5-night package with them in August 2014, and had a great time.

Upsides: hotel and rooms are very clean, most of the food is decent, sometimes quite good, staff were mostly friendly and helpful, multiple pools, quiet area that felt safe.

Lazaro in the Mercado buffet was fantastic, as was Luis the bartender at the Tequila bar.

The Spa pool is WONDERFUL -- worth the price of getting a spa service -- you can go an hour before, and stay an hour later than your service, and use the spa pool, which has a waterfall, jets, comfy lounges, etc. and is very quiet

Had a wonderful "Mayan Massage" at the spa, and a few hours at the pool -- divine! Well worth it!

Went out for a catamaran ride, fun!

The dive shop folks are great!

Some additional notes:

The checkin process is just awful -- lobby is by FAR the hottest place in the hotel, and it's glacially slow to get checked in - we waited in a line of 3 people for over an hour, sweat dripping. They should figure out how to make this faster, it's ridiculous.

Wifi is spotty and sporadic at best, bad in rooms (tip: Beach near Bamboleo restaurant seemed to be best spot for reception!) -- you can't use Skype, viber, whatsapp, etc for phone calls, or even texting most of the time. don't even try to upload photos to facebook!

Pools close at 7 p.m. All 5 of them. They really should leave at least one open till 10 p.m. for night-time swims.

Towel area closes before the pools. Doesn't make sense.

No business center to print boarding passes - attempt to print boarding passes took 2 hours and multiple staff

Beach area has some rocks, bring water shoes, lagoon is really nice - but some seaweed

Premium restaurants can have long lines if you go after 7 p.m., the hostesses at the premium restaurants are somewhat obnoxious

The Japanese Mikado place (like a Benihana) and the Bamboleo steakhouse were great... Bella Vista Italian restaurant was sub-par.

The Las Brisas buffet was pretty bad, Mercado was consistently better

Bring lots of singles -- and tip your servers if you are going back to a place, you'll get better service, more attention -- also, tips to bartenders will sometimes get you premium liquors instead of the regular stuff

Didn't do the upgraded room/status, and didn't miss it.

If you're looking for big white sand beach, or gourmet food, this is not the place. But if you are looking for a fun place to hang out, eat and drink well, enjoy the pools and water and weather, without breaking the bank, it's a decent deal!

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room near the pool/Tequila bar/Mercado buffet -- good central location, quiet...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank M. S
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear M. S,

We would like to thank you for the nice comments about your recent stay at Catalonia Hotels & Resorts.

We will consider all the items that you have mentioned.

The Spa and the rest of the staff were thrilled about your review.

I personally hope that you can give us the chance to be your host any time soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
#68 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,634 reviews

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!