“Good.”

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Everything was beautiful, I would definitely stay again, we upgraded to a premium room, I really didn't notice a difference between premium and regular. Extreme cleanliness, peaceful, excellent staff. Room service was terrible. They had activities day and night. I loved it, looking forward to coming again.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ylfete k

Property/Service:
The property was beautiful. There were lots of pools and Jacuzzis which we enjoyed. The property is split into two hotels. We made sure to stay on the quieter side of the hotel. There were also kiddie pools and a children's park. There are bars all over the property. Nightly shows in the "theater" and a club that plays a great mixture of music.
The service was great! The staff was very attentive and friendly! It helped that we tipped them really well. They brought drinks to us at the pools and wherever we were sitting.

Food:
The food tasted great. Because it was all inclusive we ate primarily at the buffet style restaurants which unfortunately didn't have much authentic Mexican food. There are also specialty restaurants. We were allowed to eat dinner at 2 of the specialty restaurants.

Room:
Could have been better. The AC worked. No issues with the bed, shower or toilet. It seems that we were in an older room and the mirrors had peices that were broken. Other than that the room was fine. We barely spent any time there.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kamille V
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed here in Setember 2013.

We arrived during terrible storms and our first impressions were not great. However, the hotel was a lot better once the sun came out.

The staff are the crowning glory of the resort. They all work so hard and yet are just so friendly and helpful. I know it is partly the Mexican personality to be genial but they were all so lovely and it made our stay extra special.

The food was excellent. I normally avoid buffets and all inclusive fayre but this was delicious and clean. There was plently of fresh fish and meat cooked to order each day and an aray of salads, and other cuisines including Mexican (mmm...I had ceviche every day!), hot foods, so much fresh fruit and beautiful little cakes and desserts.

We ate in all the restaurants, the Mexican and steak ones being our favourite. I don't know what people are expecting but as a quality rather than quantity foodie I was very, very happy. Plus I didn't get a travellers tummy like I have elsewhere (Egypt, are you listening?).

We arrived early evening after an ardous journey and were really exhausted. I would rate the room allocated to us was 3 stars - rather than 4. I think hotels want you to upgrade so give you a less than stellar room in order that you will traipse all the way back to reception to start negotiating. But after travelling for nearly a day we just wanted to shower and sleep. Our room was quite dated. We had 2 double beds which had concrete bases topped with hard board and then a mattress. Not too comfortable. We should have asked for a better room but the thought of packing everything up again didn't appeal. The rooms/bathrooms were clean and cleaned daily.

The beach is great, white sand and turquoise waters. We avoided the pools, especially the ones with swim up bars. The same people were sitting at these bars all day, every day and the smell of chlorine was so strong that one can only imagine what it was reacting to.

The animation team were very engaging and loud. We personally are happy to enjoy the sound of the ocean so the animation team, loud music, shouting and regular invitations to join in aqua aerobics or whatever weren't for us but a lot people appeared to enjoy it.

We enjoyed several trips to various parks, Tulum and Playa Del Carmen. It would be a great idea if the hotel started the bus to Playa again. The cabs are very expensive and we were unsure about catching the collectivo back at night.

We will definitely return to Mexico but probably in a more independent way next time, however I would like to finish the trip at the Catalonia, to unwind before the flight and to get my fill of the ceviche!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank tululah
Reviewed May 28, 2014

From the sunken splash pool on our patio to the 5 beautiful pools to the great beach, this hotel offers it all. A day spa, nightly free entertainment, and five themed restaurants in addition to 2 international buffets keep you busy just making decisions about your next adventure.
The hotel offers several versions of "all inclusive" with varying prices.
The "Basic Plan" features a very well-appointed room with either a patio or balcony and access to the international buffet and all bars and all non-motorized beach activities.
The "Privileged Plan" increases the room's amenities and provides more service and better seating in the buffets along with access to the specialty restaurants (number of meals depending on the number of days spent at the resort).
We opted for the "Honeymoon Privileged Plan" and had sparkling wine and fruit in the room at check-in, a mini bar with sodas, water and beer replinished daily, a very romantic room with a patio splash pool and a special Romantic Dinner one night. Other nights found us in the Spanish and Mexican Restaurants and the Steaskhouse for lobster.
All were exceptional, as were the staff without exception.

Room Tip: Opt for the "Privileged" or "Honeymoon Privileged" plans to assure the best room...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Bassman47
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed at the Catalonia Rivera Maya Resort in May 2014 for a week. I would have to agree the check in process at the front desk is a mess. The people at the counter really don't know what they are doing and I think they confuse themselves and gives conflicting information. We came with a big group. Some people have towel cards, some people didn't get it. Some were told we don't need it and some were told if you don't return towel cards you will be charged a fee. You need to get your information right and get your act together at the front desk. I don't get the whole upgrade. Why am I paying $15 just to get a safe and a fridge. The room didn't look special to me? We did get extra vouchers for the specialty restaurants which I thought was worth it. If you got a good price for your package, upgrading is worth it for the specialty restaurants.

Rooms: Nothing to write home about. Bare minimum. A bed, a TV that we never used a sink and a toilet. I did enjoy the stocked fridge with bottle waters.

Pools: It's decent. We stayed by the swim up bar most of the time. I love the margaritas. Best margaritas ever.

Beach: It is exactly like what everyone said. ROCKY and OUCH!!!! Make sure you bring water shoes. There are alot of fish by the bay area if you like snorkeling. Kept the kids busy. The priveleged beach area and bar is nice and quiet. Good place for a nap or read a book.

Restaurants: This is where I will give it at least a 4 star. Food was very good. Buffet had lots of selections. I especially enjoyed the fresh juices in the morning and the made to order steak and pork chops for lunch. We also like Bamboleo for lunch. The burgers were my favorite :-). We tried all the specialty restaurants. The japanese restaurant was very good. We had Tepanyaki. The Bamboleo Steak House was nothing special. Steak was dry. Las Brisas was better. I was disapointed with Tapas. I had no idea what I was eating. Italian was good. They had osso bucco which was my favorite. Mexican was ok. Make sure you order Sangria.

Spa: We tried the spa. There was a special for $100 includes basic facial and 50mins massages. It was great. Spa was very clean and nice. I loved all the dipping pools.

The only negative remark I will give is the activities counter by the beach. The staff were super rude. As guests we were allowed to borrow snorkeling equipment for 1 hour a day. Additional charges for anything over. RENTERS BEWARE! Set your timers!!! They will charge you. And also to check ALL YOUR EQUIPMENT before you take it out. They gave me a faulty lens for my 6 year old daugther. She took it to the beach and 5 mins later she said the lens popped out. We brought it back and they accused my 6 year of breaking it. HOW? They tried to charged me $40 to replace an old snorkel. What made me mad was, they were rude. They said YOU BROKE IT AND YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. Clearly, we did not break it. You had old equipment and try to get poor tourists to replace your equipments. Nice trap. All they kept saying is you signed a release form. Unbelievable. I refused to book any activities from people who have no integrity and out there to rip you off. We ended up booking all of our activities from the counter at the lobby instead. Easier to deal with.

Overall, we had a really nice experience and will return. I think if you can find a good package (like we did) this hotel is worth it with some room for improvements. I think the resort should just suck it up and fix up their regular rooms and get rid of the upgrades!! It is definitely not a 4 or 5 star hotel. You get what you paid for so lower your expectation a little bit and you will be fine. This is not the RITZ, nor a HYATT nor a MARRIOT. Maybe a Sheraton. Food was excellent. Drinks were great. All in all, we had fun. What else could you ask for.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank VS1234
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Traveled here by myself and had a great time. The resort was very clean and had a great, but small beach. The room had a king bed and a very nice bathroom. It was just a resort view room and did the job. The pools were also nice. There were two side of the resort. An American side and a European side. The Europe side had a couple more pools but other than that I couldn't tell a difference. I only ate at one sit down restaurant while I was there. Don't remember which one but I they encourage reservations. They let me in because it was just one person. The buffets were decent. The resort has very good excursion desks. I went on two snorkeling trips and two trips to Cancun for the night life. Both places I made reservations at we're helpful and nice. I would stay here again in the future.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank superbird2
Reviewed May 27, 2014

So this is how my trip started, we left the airport and got in the cab which we had prepaid through bookit.com, cab was nice and clean, was also able to make a few pit stops for beer on the way to the resort which was roughly a 1 hour drive. By the way, do not by Coco Bongo tickets through your Bookit.com rep, they will add a $40 premium per ticket, we bought from a gentleman selling them direclty at the resort for the club, much cheaper. Also when booking golf through bookit.com they charge everyone cab fair. Example, group of 3 people going downtown in a cab, you pay one fee, with bookit.com all three get nailed and they dont tell you.

Once we get to the resort, there are only 3 people working the front desk. It takes us a half our to get through the line even before we begin the 10 minute check in process. After all that waiting we were ever so politely sucked into sitting down with one of their staff who was so polite about explaining all of the local events and what the area has to offer, and once they have your attention, they hit you with the time share speach and you havent even settled in to the resort. Drove me nuts!!!

We get settled into our room, beds nice and clean, but that was about it. Bathroom full of bugs,no stocked beer fridge, not even pop for crying out loud. We were given one bottle of water at the beginning of our trip for our room and that was it. We had to beg for bottled water, it was ridiculous. This is the first so called 4 star resort I have ever been to that had an empty fridge and water on lockdown, What a joke. Think leaving tips on the pilow will get you water? think again.

The breakfast buffet was average, we lived off of omelletes and bacon all week as that was really the only think that was good for breakfast. Too bad the lineup for omelletes was 20 minutes long. The fresh fruit was good. The buffets were average to below average for lunch and diner.

When it came to the 4 A La Carte restaurants that you can only eat at once, avoid the Mexican at all costs, the other three are good. Bad mexican food in Mexico? really?

The only places I would suggest eating is the Crepe restaurant upstairs and the buffet that is at the bottom of the stairs where they turn into the steakhouse in the evenings. The other two buffets are terrible in comparison to food, not sure why.

Now to the beach, the beach chairs were awkward to lay in. There was not a lot of traffic on the beach when we were there so it was a nice place to catch up on some sleep in the sun once you found the right angle for the chair. After you were well rested, it was off for a swim to go slam your feet and legs against some rocks. This is not a swim friendly beach, if you do go, be sure to buy some of those water shoes to avoid cut up feet, they are a must.

After eating sub par food and getting our butts kicked by rocks, we decided to go play in the pool. They were nice and clean by the way. The one pool has only 6 seats at the swim up bar and impossible to get near once the croud moves in. Unable to get a drink in the pool bar, I decide to get out and grab one at the bar. As I am standing there, I see a young worker come from the beach with a hand full of used drink glasses full of sand, he throws them in a tub of water behind the bar, the bartender gives them a quick rinse in that tub of water with no soap, mixed up a new batch of drinks in those cups and onto the next group, DISGUSTING!!! seriously, if you go, look behind the bar on how they wash/rinse the cups. If you have sand in your drink which I did several times, you will now know why.

By the way,if you happen to be swimmimg and your clip on your wristband malfunctions for some reason, it is automatically your fault it has fell off and they will charge you $45 U.S for a new one. That is unless you raise your voice in the front lobby after arguing for 10 minutes. After waiting in line for a half hour to get my new wrist band I was hit with the time share crew again at the front lobby, that gets old really fast after the 4th and 5th attempt.

The evening shows at the resort are absolutely terrible.

3 star resort at best

My fingers are tired.

Room Tip: When booking a room and you upgrade to the oceanview/poolview which we did. Be sure that the oceanvi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank transam832402
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!