“GOOD property but BEWARE” 4 of 5 stars

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, Illinois
“GOOD property but BEWARE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

If you plan on keeping cost low then I suggest a resort closer to the city (cancun/playa del carmen), where you will have more transportation options. Otherwise I suggest renting a car because you only option to the city is taxi or excursion.

Otherwise the resort was awesome with the exception of food selection. I was expecting to eat lots of tacos being in Mexico but was very disappointed that I could not find any even at the buffet. The food at the restaurants wasn't great at all. The grill by the pool was the best place to eat. Often quite long lines waiting for food to be cooked and I only think it was that way because it was the best option at the resort.

Otherwise the onsite activities was great. Absolutely no complaints. Every staff person greeted you with a friendly HOLA.

I would go back but would take a car rental from airport to get around.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tony M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (958)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

After a long, cold winter in Philadelphia, my husband and I were looking for a last-minute long-weekend quick getaway. We found a great deal and booked only a few weeks prior. Stayed May 8th through 11th. We've been to Mexico several times prior (Tulum, Playa del Carmen, Cancun) so first time in Puerto Adventuras. I really liked the gated community and small town. We ventured off the resort one day to walk around the shops by the marina (only a few blocks walk). Definitely neat to watch the dolphins swim around in the discovery cove.

As for the resort - we upgraded to the mid-level room as soon as we got there. Definitely worth the extra $30/night per person. They placed us in a top-floor ocean view room in building 6. Room was spacious and nice. Only issues we had - AC by the bathroom dripped a bit if we left the sliding door open since we let in too much humidity (we had AC turned on very high - worked great, room was always super cold even though very hot and humid outside), doors to hallway a bit thin and one night housekeeping came very late in the day. Nonetheless, I slept like a rock every night, which is hard for me in general.

Loved the exclusive (upgraded) section of the beach (Bean bag chairs on the beach! Walk-up beautiful beach bar! Premier lounger with cushions!). Pools were also nice and swim up bars are lots of fun - good place to mingle with other guests.

The exclusive restaurants for upgraded guests were fabulous and better than many I've been to at all-inclusive resort (mexican and steakhouse <-- make sure you arrive early since small and may be a wait - definitely worth the wait though). Great service at these. The buffets are OK… have some nice items but sometimes seemed understaffed and not working efficiently. A few times we had to ask more than once for our drinks.

Only thing to note on the exclusive section of the beach - rocky when you walk in. However, I preferred the lagoon over the ocean - shallow and warm so you can lie down with your cocktail! :) I also liked to take a kayak out and explore the lagoon.

Spa is great - and that's a lot to say coming from me since I am a spa-junkie. Got the deep tissue 50min massage - gorgeous treatment room overlooking the pool area on the 2nd floor.

On the last night we went to the lobby bar and listened to live music - nice chill vibe to have a few after dinner cocktails. Afterwards, we checked out the comedy show - very strange, but maybe humor is different in Mexico? :) We left not too long after it started.

Overall, we had a great time - would recommend to others. Every resort has it's quirks and things that don't turn out quite right. My husband and I may be less critical than other people in general - we are on vacation in paradise. It's not worth sweating the small stuff! :)

Room Tip: Building 6 top floor (mid-upgrade - $30/person/night) - worth every penny. Room 6033 has incredible...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KZiuk
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

We got robbed. Golden watch disappeared from our room. Hotel staff did an investigation, but it went to nothing.
Overall, this hotel not bad. I loved it because it is more european style. Food is good - you get what you paid for. Nevertheless, it is cozy and clean. Good pool animation and a lot of activities. We really enjoyed out vacation.
Will I come back? Maybe... If i find a very good deal!

Stayed May 2014
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Stayed here from 5/5 through 5/8. Checking in was a breeze and reception spoke English much better than I expected. Our room was a standard garden room on the second floor near the lobby. The room was clean, updated, and very spacious. The A/C worked wonderfully. We had a large sliding door that lead to the balcony which overlooked the walkways. The bathroom was large and updated as well. The room could have had better lighting. The only complaint I have is that the mattresses were hard as a rock! Barely slept each night because of this.

The resort itself is beautiful and very well maintained. It's also large and spread out...never felt like it was crowded. You can tell they take great pride in making the resort look fantastic. There were 5 pools (2 w/ swim-up bars), all large and always clean. Never had a problem finding a lounge chair (only had a problem finding chairs that were under the umbrellas). As others have commented, the beach IS rocky and you really can't walk into the ocean without water shoes. However, there's a small lagoon off to the side of the resort, and that's where you could swim without the rocks. It's a great spot for snorkeling though, lots of fish swimming around.

The food was good, but not great. Buffet was your typical buffet, no surprises there....fresh fruits, lots of fried food, some salads, breads. Fresh guacamole was always around and it was excellent. Service was always quick and we were always seated immediately. The crepe restaurant and the Mexican restaurants were pretty good. Also ate at the Italian place, not bad but not what I'm used to eating here in NY. There are multiple bars scattered throughout the resort- at least one was always open. The drinks were always good too...they didn't skimp on the alcohol.

The staff was always friendly and always walking around smiling. Very helpful when needed.

The resort is in a gated community with a marina, souvenir shops, restaurants, and private residences. It's beautiful and safe to walk around. We rented bikes and rode them down to shops...only about a 5 minute bike ride.

Overall we had a great stay and really enjoyed everything. We didn't upgrade to privilege by choice, and still had a great time.For the price, it was great and I would definitely go back/recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jennifer354
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed April 21-25. We had booked the Catalonia Privileged Maroma. When we arrived at Maroma, we noticed it was very crowded. We were taken to the Privileged book in, and immediately offered an "upgrade" to a sister property, Catalonia Maya Beach. We had stayed there before, in a very nice suite that we had been upgraded to, but wanted the beach at Punta Maroma this time. We had to wait for a room so we had lunch.

When we saw the small pool, and how crowded it was, we decided to go with the upgrade, even thought the Puerto Aventuras property (Maya and Yucatan) has next to no beach (Puerto Aventuras, in general). It is extremely rocky and has a lot of coral, which allows for good on property snorkeling. It also has several small pools. Unfortunately, the "upgrade" to a "honeymoon suite" was a very small, ground floor room, with a canopy bed and a double bath tub on the terrace (no jets), and no privacy. If it had been my actual honeymoon, I would have been sorely disappointed. This was not the same upgrade we had receive a few years back. It took until the last day for the hotel to coordinate the new pick up by our transfer company, USA Transfers. They had agreed to cover the additional cost, but there was a whole lot of back and forth between the hotel, the transfer company and the other hotel about payment. We were also promised a lobster dinner for changing hotels...they thought that was funny when we brought it up at check-in. Whatever.

I guess the week after Easter is a busy time, which we had not considered. We thought it would be quiet. First-come-first-served for restaurants was an improvement from the old reservations only system...they always ran out. Room service was quick. Food was o.k. Steak house steaks were 1/8" thick...ridiculous...and tough. Try the creperie.

Rough towel game, reserving chairs...the worst we have ever seen. Didn't bother with any shows.

Overall...eh. O.K. for a few nights. Not a bad time, but we won't be back a third visit. At least we learned that the Catalonia Maroma is a no-go for us. It may be a good value for you if you get the right price. I wouldn't cross the Atlantic from Europe for this property unless I was on a really tight budget. For a bit more money, there are much nicer properties in the area with nice much nicer beaches.

Room Tip: If you want a bit of privacy, don't accept a ground floor room. Get out early for a good spot wi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Xpuha_Happy
Crystal lake, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I traveled to this resort with a girl friend, her daughter and her daughters boyfriend. We read reviews every fews days for months so we knew what we were getting into. The food is not very good. Some nights we could find something to eat, some nights we could not. Always had a "reject" pile on our plates. Rooms were comfortable and kept clean, except one day it wasn't cleaned until 6pm. Heard people at the front desk every day asking for a new room which was promised but the front desk just put them off. Don't look to the front desk for help, they obviously were not trained for that! You get what you get and you just have to suck it up and live with it! What sent us over the edge was the fact that my friends daughter was taking a shower (3rd floor) and a worker standing on the roof of the building across from ours was watching. The more she stared, the more he stared. She called her boyfriend in and the worker took off, kind of like he knew what he was doing was WRONG! All the shower windows at the resort were frosted except theirs. We told the front desk, their response was that they were sorry. My friend even chased down the General Manager, he said he would get right on it but nothing was ever done. So, before you book this resort, remember, if they are ok with a peeping tom, what else will they turn a blind eye to?? I prefer to stay somewhere where I feel safe and I personally don't feel this is the place for that.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank Nancy V
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Manager
Villa Park, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed here May 3rd thru May 10th in building 6, third floor, room 6032, the only room that we could find in the entire resort with a shower window that was NOT frosted. EMPLOYEE “Peeping Tom” on the roof of building 4, right next door, watching my daughter take a shower. CREEPY!!
Hotel staff including the general manager did nothing but say they were sorry!!
We will NOT be returning NOR recommend this resort EVER!!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank CJFred5
Dear valued guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for forwarding us your comment regarding part of your experience during your recent stay, as the opinion of our guests is very important to us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

We regret not having been able to get knowledge about the incident in order to take immediate action as we do not support that kind of behavior. Be sure that I, my colleagues and all the hotel staff will take your comments very seriously in order to surprise you positively in your next visit to our hotels.

Yours sincerely,

Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 stars 4,775 reviews

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!