We stayed in March 2014 for 10 days. We upgraded to a suite - room 8114 in the block closest to the beach - which was very nice and worth the extra money. Great king size mattress, beautiful bathroom with separate toilet and shower, and large balcony with tub. Maid kept the room spotless. We had great service throughout the resort, should note that we had the privilege wristbands and tipped generously. I think it made a difference. Special mention of Mayoli in the las brisas buffett, Leobarto in the bambolino bar and Maria on the activities team. The staff in the gym were rude. You are not allowed in without proper running shoes.
The mini club was great. It was open to kids age 4 to 12 years old, daily from 10 to 5 and had a different theme for each day (mexican day, ecological day, circus day etc.). The activities are planned out and posted outside the club. Ita ran the mini club and she was fantastic, my kids loved her and had no problem staying there for a few hours every day. She was very friendly and we felt comfortable leaving our children in her care. Ita usually ran the mini disco (most nights at 8 in the theatre), and she did a great job of this too, fun for parents and kids. Wednesday night (mexican day) there is a pinata and games for kids, don't miss it!
The food - the buffet was alright but I wished there was more mexican choices. They always had chips, guac and fresh salsa which was delicious. The breakfast was the best buffet meal but they only had bacon 3 of the 10 days we were there. Cappuccino was great. We tried all the restaurants, the Japanese and Italian were our favourite and the Steakhouse least favourite. We usually went on the early side (6:30) and never had to wait. If you go at 7 or later you'll be waiting. They won't allow snacks to be taken out to the pool area, this is to avoid a ton of birds hanging around for food.
The resort is compact with a good layout, you can get from one end to the other in 5 minutes or less, perfect size, not too big. The beach is a trade off. Yes the ocean is rocky, but the lagoon is sandy bottom and shallow which was great with kids. They could swim all they wanted without fear of being knocked over by the waves. We had water shoes and didn't use them that much. Lots of fish to see in shallow water. If you want to walk for miles on the beach, this isn't the place for you. If there's a wedding they clear out the lagoon area in the afternoon, they set up a tent. I reserved a palapa every morning at 6:30 but there was lots available even later on (the resort was only 70% full when we were there). There are signs posted saying reserving is not allowed but it's not enforced.
High points - good value resort and nice place for families, lagoon area, free kayaks, upgraded rooms are great.
Low points - far drive from airport (hour and a half), beach may not be ideal for everyone, a straw for your drink is hard to come by (they only had them sometimes and you have to ask for one).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Caribbean Sea's turquoise waters can be seen from this hotel-paradise. Come and get ready to spend some unforgettable days in the heart of the Mayan Riviera, surrounded by marvelous landscapes and seductive, white sand beaches. The hotel is located in the wonderful Puerto Aventuras development. This is a tourist development which boasts a marina for yachts, a golf course, restaurants and dolphin tanks, all within easy reach of the main Mayan Riviera attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Catalonia Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
- Catalonia Hotel Mexico
- Catalonia Rivera Maya
- Riviera Maya Catalonia
- Hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Riveria Maya
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort
- Catalonia Riviera Maya All Inclusive
- Catalonia Mexico