“Traveling with Pre-Teens”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Colorado
“Traveling with Pre-Teens”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We (my husband and I) and our two pre-teens traveled to this hotel for 8 days the 1st week of February. First of all, I must say, we weren't booked for this hotel - we were suppose to stay at the Catalonia Maroma but they had overbooked and sent us to this hotel. We told the hotel they had to pay the 30 minute taxi ride and that we were not moving around because it takes too much of our precious vacation time. We had chosen the Maroma because of the reviews on the beach which is a top priority for us. The hotel did tell us the beach at the Riviera Maya was not as nice and they weren't kidding.

If you are going to swim in the ocean at all, you need water shoes(at the hotel gift shop they are $40+). My daughter stepped on a sea urchin and the first aid professional (a life guard) was very helpful. The lagoon was a great place to camp out and observe the fish and sea life but had limited space. We were "privileged" and had an area at the beach we could be with comfy bean bags and lounge chairs but there was very little beach for the kids to entertain themselves in the sand because 3 inches down there was rock.

Our room was the nicest and cleanest we have stayed in (compared to our other 8 times we have vacationed in Mexico). We stayed in the "privileged family suite" which was one of the closest to the lagoon. It had two rooms with a kitchen area which included a refrigerator, microwave, mini sink, and small stove top. It also included dishes and silverware. The outdoor bath tub was very unique and kind of nice for the kids. We all agreed the shower was incredible with the large shower head.

One of my daughters enjoyed the kids club. There weren't too many kids her age (10) but she enjoyed the activities. I felt that she was well watched over and was safe. The resort had many other activities going on all the time. We enjoyed watching and participating in stretching, volleyball, archery, Zumba, dance classes, pool activities, etc. It was very similar to other resorts we have gone too.

Other than the beach, our only complaint was the reservations and standing in line for the restaurants. We only ate at 2 of the specialty restaurants (the Mexican and Japanese) which we would highly recommend them both. The non-reservation idea made us want to just go to the buffet which became very predictable. If I would do it again, I would have went to the breakfast and lunch restaurant that the people who were "privileged" could go to. We only ate lunch at that restaurant once and it was excellent. The restaurant was above the buffet. Also, I would recommend the Crepe Restaurant. It is fabulous for dessert and/or a light dinner. Ana and Eva were fun loving waitresses. We enjoyed them every time we went.

We indulged with a massage and pedicures. The pedicure was very reasonable. The massages were very professional. The circuit bathes were freezing.

Last, we felt safe and the property was very clean. We even went outside the resort and walked around. There is a marina and enjoyed it. The people who worked at this resort spoke English and we could understand them pretty well. They were kind and work really hard regardless if you left them a tip or not. One last thing, the resort is equipped with American 3 prong electrical outlets. We were able to charge electrical devices. Sweet!

Happy to answer any questions!

Room Tip: Family Suites were spacious and quiet. Stayed on the 1st level.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank PattyJean33706

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,074)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed for 2 weeks starting the last week of February. I have stayed at numerous 4 star resorts in the Mayan Riviera area so I feel experienced enough to provide a well balanced perspective.
Catalonia Riviera Maya and Catalonia Yucatan Beach are the same resort. I’m not sure why they make a distinction here.
As most reviews state, the staff is wonderful and the resort overall is nice and very clean. However, there are a few things that need to change. They may or may not be important to you.
The main problem is there are too many guests for the size of the pools, beach area and buffets. There are not enough umbrellas or palapas for shade. By 6:00 am all the shade spots will be reserved by towels. Yes the towel game is not supposed to happen but it does and I understand it. You need shade at a Mexican resort. That’s obvious. So you have to play the game as well. Then when you finally get an umbrella you may want some food at noon so you go for a 30 minute lunch break and when you come back someone has moved your towel and/or is sitting on your towel. This was a daily occurrence. Also, because there is not enough room around the pools, the loungers literally touch each other. Close proximity with everyone means you will be around numerous smokers (and unless you are a non-smoker this will sound like a rant), but it is very annoying to be breathing cigarette smoke rather than enjoying a smooth cooling Caribbean breeze with my tequila. This was a regular occurrence. Another issue is the over-booking policy. I am unsure if this is the fault of the resort or Nolitours, but we booked a privileged upgraded room 7 months in advance and when we arrived we were told they were over-booked and so our first 2 nights were a standard room. It was a ground floor room with a view of the parking lot on one side and a generator on the other. (I met other guests who experienced the same issue).
Another annoying issue is the availability of the à la carte restaurants. Sometimes they are closed for the night but you won’t know this until you arrive that night and the sign on the door says closed.

2 Thank WpgCanuck2014
PA, USA
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My husband and I recently spent 7 days at the Catalonia. Thank God the weather was awesome and ocean waters were great and we met some AWESOME people from Canada. Our room looked like it was the product of a bar room brawl. Our door was split right down the middle and you could see through it when shut, not to mention you had to close it carefully so it wouldn't come apart. (NOT SAFE). Receptacles were punched in, something was splattered all over the closet doors in large amounts, sliding door curtains were hanging off the wall and couldn't be shut unless you stood on a chair and played with them. When I asked for washcloths and a bath mat and some soap I was told I couldn't have any. I was told to use the pump soap hanging on the shower wall, however everyone else got bars of soap, so I helped myself to some when I found a cart. What hotel won't give to towels and soap???? The water actually shut off while all lathered in the shower, it did come on but you never knew. They came to our room asking to come in to count our towels numerous times ( with a broken door made it easy for them to just open and come in while changing in the room). Never got beach towel cards when we checked in and trying to get towels was not pleasant. Each guest is supposed to get a free bottle of water in their room and then you have to refill it yourself at the bar if you want more, WE didn't get any so we had to buy ours. When we mentioned all the issues with our room we were told we needed to pay for an upgrade because nothing else was available. ( I already booked a room in the Riveria side so why should I pay more) ??? We were put in the Yukatan side. Three days later they left a letter in our room asking us to consider moving to one of their other resorts because we found out they were expecting a group of 90 and they didn't reserve enough rooms for them. The group was not happy because they didn't want to be split among a couple resorts either, I don't blame them. The front desk gentleman was rude and could care less.
Food in the buffet was very good, but keeping the food replenished was a bit of a problem. The issues with not accepting reservations was a problem for everyone, because you could be waiting in line for an hour before they opened to get the first seating and if you miss the cut by 2 people you have to wait all over again and hope to get in, (we had a friend who was willing to shower earlier, take a book and go save us a spot in line a couple times, but we decided that's not fair to him) that's when we became good friends with the buffet, it was a little easier to be seated and there was a good variety of food, only issue was replenishing it. there were a lot of railings that were broken and taped off along the walkways to the rooms, (floors up) but no one repairing them and the elevators were broken ( when you have a walking problem this is not good). The privileged section made you feel like you weren't good enough the way they roped it off, especially on the beach! Looking forward to our next vacation to Mexico which we do twice a year, however it won't be back here!

6 Thank Terri-pa
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Reviewed March 16, 2014

wife and i went in February 2014 for a quick get away from South Dakota winter. We had a great time and only wished we would have booked a longer stay. Upgraded to a honeymoon suite and received some other extras also. Breakfast in bed, fruit & wine basket one evening, a nice evening dinner & a couples massage all for about $100 USD. Staff was great, food was good, bars were fun. Met lots of fun people and had many laughs. Would go back again!!

Room Tip: take an upgrade if offered
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank RZ4
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear RZ4

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us.

It is great to know that you are having a good time and enjoy our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you have from the hotel and our service.

We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Hotel Manager
Queensbury, New York
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I visited the Catalonia Riviera Maya with my boyfriend on February 22-28 and overall we had a nice time. There were highs and lows of the trip so I'll start with the negatives:

-The service at the buffet restaurants was lacking. Often there would be a large line of people waiting at the entrance for a seat, and there would be numerous tables open, but with only one hostess, it took a very long time to seat everyone. They were very understaffed and we often were never asked for drink orders, or if we were, they never brought them to us. If you wanted water, you had to hope the water machine was working, which it often wasn't. Myself and several other guests helped ourselves to water behind the bar by leaning over it and filling our own water bottles since there was no one to assist us. When I went up to a waiter with my glass in hand and asked for water, which he was holding a pitcher of, he seemed offended and would not pour me water, but instead asked me where my table was so he could bring some over. I told him, but he never brought it over. Overall just a pain to get service.
-The process for going to the a la carte restaurants at night was horrible. It was by far the worst I've ever seen in the Japanese restaurant. When they opened, there was a crowd of about 50 people all fighting about who was there first, practically pushing and shoving each other to try to get in first and not have to wait hours to eat. I truly thought there would be a physical fight based on the way some people were acting. If the restaurant simply had a "take a number" at the door, it would avoid the guests having to worry about what order they arrived at the restaurant and crowding around the hostess stand to put their name in before the people next to them.
-The amount of people who reserve beach chairs was annoying.
-There is yellow caution tape over a lot of the balconies. It definitely doesn't make me feel safe and looks really bad. I noticed they didn't seem to have an urgency in fixing it either.

The positives:

-The food was very good at the a la carte restaurants (almost made the waiting worth it!) and the staff was very friendly for the most part.
-Unlike other reviewers, we really enjoyed the night entertainment, although it was definitely geared towards teenagers and up most nights, so keep that in mind if you have little ones!
-There is a lot to do at the resort, and you can easily spend a week there without needing to leave. Lots of pools, so they are never too crowded, and a really nice lagoon area with excellent snorkeling and calm warm water.
-The resort was very clean and well-kept.
-Really good desserts! Make sure to try the mousse at the buffet.
-The community that surrounds the resort is very nice and you can feel very safe there as it is a gated community with security that lets people in and out. You can catch the collectivo right out the front gate to get to Tulum or anywhere else along the main drag.

Room Tip: The garden view rooms are quiet. We didn't upgrade to a privileged suite because we didn't s...
5 Thank tarantular50
bolton lancs
Reviewed March 13, 2014

This resort is very good food is fine most of the time .staff are brilliant very hard workers . The dive center is fantastic did our Padi there with Suzi and Stefan great people would I go back yes but in low season it was very busy in February

Room Tip: Try this place in low season too busy in high season
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank yogiblair
Gibsons, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2014

My daughter and I had a wonderful time at the Catalonia. From the moment we checked in, everyone was so friendly and helpful. Our room was clean - we didn't upgrade as we new we would be spending very little time actually in the room - but have no complaints about the comfort. We thought the food was delicious and so many choices in the buffets. My daughter loved the morning custom made omellettes, and I loved that fish was an option at all the meals. The Japanese restaurant was our favourite. Ask for Jose's table :). The entertainment staff were a blast, and really got all the visitors laughing and connecting with each other. Special thanks to Olga, Mauricio, and Javier for all the laughs! We would definitely recommend this resort to our friends, and hope to return next year.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the disco if you like to turn in before 2am.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Carol S
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Carol S,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that your daughter and you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

We certainly hope too that you will decide to visit us again in the future, thus giving us another chance not only to comply with, but to exceed your highest expectations.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!