We (my husband and I) and our two pre-teens traveled to this hotel for 8 days the 1st week of February. First of all, I must say, we weren't booked for this hotel - we were suppose to stay at the Catalonia Maroma but they had overbooked and sent us to this hotel. We told the hotel they had to pay the 30 minute taxi ride and that we were not moving around because it takes too much of our precious vacation time. We had chosen the Maroma because of the reviews on the beach which is a top priority for us. The hotel did tell us the beach at the Riviera Maya was not as nice and they weren't kidding.
If you are going to swim in the ocean at all, you need water shoes(at the hotel gift shop they are $40+). My daughter stepped on a sea urchin and the first aid professional (a life guard) was very helpful. The lagoon was a great place to camp out and observe the fish and sea life but had limited space. We were "privileged" and had an area at the beach we could be with comfy bean bags and lounge chairs but there was very little beach for the kids to entertain themselves in the sand because 3 inches down there was rock.
Our room was the nicest and cleanest we have stayed in (compared to our other 8 times we have vacationed in Mexico). We stayed in the "privileged family suite" which was one of the closest to the lagoon. It had two rooms with a kitchen area which included a refrigerator, microwave, mini sink, and small stove top. It also included dishes and silverware. The outdoor bath tub was very unique and kind of nice for the kids. We all agreed the shower was incredible with the large shower head.
One of my daughters enjoyed the kids club. There weren't too many kids her age (10) but she enjoyed the activities. I felt that she was well watched over and was safe. The resort had many other activities going on all the time. We enjoyed watching and participating in stretching, volleyball, archery, Zumba, dance classes, pool activities, etc. It was very similar to other resorts we have gone too.
Other than the beach, our only complaint was the reservations and standing in line for the restaurants. We only ate at 2 of the specialty restaurants (the Mexican and Japanese) which we would highly recommend them both. The non-reservation idea made us want to just go to the buffet which became very predictable. If I would do it again, I would have went to the breakfast and lunch restaurant that the people who were "privileged" could go to. We only ate lunch at that restaurant once and it was excellent. The restaurant was above the buffet. Also, I would recommend the Crepe Restaurant. It is fabulous for dessert and/or a light dinner. Ana and Eva were fun loving waitresses. We enjoyed them every time we went.
We indulged with a massage and pedicures. The pedicure was very reasonable. The massages were very professional. The circuit bathes were freezing.
Last, we felt safe and the property was very clean. We even went outside the resort and walked around. There is a marina and enjoyed it. The people who worked at this resort spoke English and we could understand them pretty well. They were kind and work really hard regardless if you left them a tip or not. One last thing, the resort is equipped with American 3 prong electrical outlets. We were able to charge electrical devices. Sweet!
Happy to answer any questions!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Caribbean Sea's turquoise waters can be seen from this hotel-paradise. Come and get ready to spend some unforgettable days in the heart of the Mayan Riviera, surrounded by marvelous landscapes and seductive, white sand beaches. The hotel is located in the wonderful Puerto Aventuras development. This is a tourist development which boasts a marina for yachts, a golf course, restaurants and dolphin tanks, all within easy reach of the main Mayan Riviera attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Catalonia Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
- Catalonia Hotel Mexico
- Catalonia Rivera Maya
- Riviera Maya Catalonia
- Hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Riveria Maya
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort
- Catalonia Riviera Maya All Inclusive
- Catalonia Mexico