“Amazing holiday”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Falkirk
“Amazing holiday”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Hubby and I are just back from Catalonia, what an amazing 2 weeks we had. The hotel was great, the staff so friendly and courteous, food plentiful, lovely pool and a first class animation team, who never failed to make us chuckle.the room we had was spacious and spotless. The small beach was lovely. To top it off a 10 minute walk took you to a beautiful Marina filled with Marine life, dolphins, sting rays, manatees, and seals. All in all a stunning area to spend a holiday.
I have to mention the resident pets :), we are reptile lovers and were delighted to be able to feed the resident iguanas who frequented the front of reception.

4 Thank joyfalkirk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,070)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Marlborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I had a lovely holiday at the Catalonia. I travelled on my own and could not have found a friendlier place to go. The hotel and facilities were clean and well looked after. The restaurants had a good choice of food. The drinks were good and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
A very enjoyable time had and I would recommend to anyone.
The entrainment & staff were really good.
The marina is a ten min walk down the road and it a lovely place to wander around with dolphins, sea lions, manatees.

Room Tip: Upgrade when you get there as good value for money especially to have the safe and mini bar and coff...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Teresa C
dover
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed here for two weeks (26th Sept- 10th Oct) with husband, daughter and her boyfriend, We arrived about 16.30 and were greeted warmly by all staff, handed a refreshing welcoming drink whilst checking in. Our rooms were very clean and stayed that way during our entire stay with a different towel design every day. The staff at this hotel are some of the friendliest people we have met always smiling and helpful, the gardeners keep the grounds immaculate even the rain didn't stop them working they just put on a raincoat and carried on. Didn't have a problem getting into the a la carte restaurants longest wait 1hr at the steak house, the Japanese was amazing what a show those guys put on.Special mentions to Alfonso at the the tequila bar, MacGyver at the El Abuelo bar, the entertainment team, Ivan, Pita, Olga and Mauricio and Guadelupe who made delicious omelettes! We would recommend this hotel without a doubt we had a fabulous time from start to finish.( oh and my daughter came back with a fiancé after her boyfriend proposed to her on the beach). They had a bottle of bubbly left in their room the next day after I spoke to the lady at customer services. Thankyou to each and everyone of you who gave as a great holiday.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank teresamay
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Have just returned from the Catalonia this morning, and what can I say loved every miniute of it, and can not wait to go back. There is nothing I can fault about this holiday. We did not upgrade because rooms were spacious clean and had everything we needed. I for one do not spend much time in my room on holiday only to sleep shower and get out to enjoy the fantastic weather food and entertainment laid on for you at this hotel, the entertainment and the staff cannot do enough for you always taking the time to stop and ask are you enjoying your day. The facilities are very good. The renovation work that was going on did not cause any great inconvenience and should be completed by end of oct early nov. the location of the hotel is also a bonus, a 5 min walk from the marina. Overall I would have no hesitation in returning to this hotel and intend doing so in the near future.

4 Thank Nicola L
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have just returned from 2 weeks at the riviera maya with Thomsons and had a fantastic time. When we booked it was the cheapest package available so I had reservations. We upgraded to the honeymoon package (although not on honeymoon) for $25 per night and got a massive bed, minibar, safe, bath on the terrace, access to the spa, access to the tapas restaurant and a couples massage. I thought it was worthy he money as a treat and it was still cheaper than other hotels. We were also supposed to receive a couples photograph taken by the photograph company in the hotel but due to their mistake it was not taken which was a disappointment. The photographer was hugely rude but he did not work for the hotel and this was certainly a different attitude to all of the other staff who were fantastic.

This hotel and Yucatan beach is basically one and the same. There are two pool, each with a pool bar. One has loud activities all day and one is relaxed so you can choose.he beach is beautiful - yes it is rocky in places but I didn't take water shoes although you could. I don't understand people who complain about rocks in the beach - it's nature not a swimming pool!

The food was good overall and I'm a vegetarian. I gained too much weight it was that nice. We preferred the tapas and the grill and enjoyed the Mexican the least. Creperie was good too so save room for dessert!

We didn't do any organised trips but instead we used the collectivo (local bus) to go to. Tulum and Akumel which was so much cheaper (Thomson rep or hotel reception will help you with how to use it). Would recommend you take your own snorkel and hop on the collectivo to Akumel. Walk down to the beach and ignore the tour operators, walk into the beautiful sandy beach and you can snorkel with seat turtles for free. Great little Mexican on the beach too - Lol Ha I think. You can also walk down to the marina and sit and watch the manatees / see the dolphins for free or with a bucket of beers for 100 pesos.

The main negative is the chemicals in the pool - they turned white clothes yellow so don't splash out on a white bikini - my coloured swimwear was fine though.

Overall this was a fantastic trip for us, relaxed, good food, drinks, activities if you wanted them but space away if you didnt and fabulous, friendly staff.

The world is a big place so not sure if I will return, but I would certainly recommend the hotel to others.

4 Thank Zoe B
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We just returned from leading a group of 22 to the Riviera Maya. We stayed at the Catalonia, and this was my first time there. We had a very good trip. There were minor problems, as one might expect with such a large group, but the hotel worked very hard to fix them as they came to light. The grounds are beautiful and the public spaces are lovely. The rooms show a bit of age (although we did not upgrade to "privileged") but everything eventually worked except the elevators.

Food ranged from okay to excellent. The buffets offered a wide range of choices. The Mexican and steak restaurants were good, but the Italian restaurant was by far the best. The "no reservations" policy is mildly annoying because it results in LONG waits, but if you are really hungry, there is always the option of the buffet. Once we understood the system, we just made sure we got our requests in much earlier.

Snorkeling around the jetty at the north end of the beach was excellent.

If we bring another group down, we would definitely use the Catalonia again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Eiswein
Toronto
Reviewed October 21, 2013

It was my first time in Mexico and am so glad I chose the Catalonia to stay at. I'll break the review down into a list.

Rooms: We chose to take the upgrade for 200$ total for my father and I for the week and we are glad we did. The upgraded room was beautifully outfitted with a balcony with a nice view, two comfortable queen sized beds and the MOST AMAZING SHOWER I HAVE EVER USED. The Rainfall shower head was a nice treat and great to soak under after a day of diving. The minibar was restocked dailyt and we enjoyed having the bottled water there as well as the softdrinks. I especially loved the Mirinda. Also, a whole bottle of tequilla was left for us which was nice.

Food: Five star all the way. We ate breakfast at the outdoor buffet every morning before our dives. I had two eggs over easy each day, and sometimes an omlette. The bacon was very good as were the donuts for something sweet. We ate dinner in the buffet twice and I had fresh grilled fish one time, and two freshly made to order porkchops another. Both meats were delicious and the rest of the options were good. The buffets were always restocked, and the food was hot and tasy each time.

The restaurants at the Catalonia are really great. Our upgrade included a voucher for the Tapas restaurant so we went there our second night and LOVED it. My pork tenderloin was moist and a huge portion and the oxtail my dad got was melt in your mouth delicious. The view was nice too, beautiful resto. The Steakhouse was our second favourite and we went twice...simply delicious, and the mozarella sticks were some of the best ive had. The Japanese was great, so fun to see the show, and the food was delicious. Loved the deep fried ice cream! The Mexican was just ok. I had the enchiladas with MOle, and realised i dislike Mole sauce, but my dad enjoyed his skirt steak. As many have said, the creperie was divine. We enjoyed our after dinner milkshakes and cappucinos there every night. Lunch snack bar was great and we mostly ate there quickly between fives. The pizza was amazing.

Resort pools, drinks etc: We did not get to enjoy the pools much because it was purely a dive trip but the time we did spend around the swim up bar was fun. The drinks were too sweet for me but I stuck to beer and vodka sodas on the days we were not diving, and enjoyed their Brandy Alexanders at night. Very good drinks. The staff was fun at the pool and I joined a lalte afternoon game of waterpolo which was a great time. The grounds of the resort were gorgeous and well kept, you felt like you were in a jungle sometimes. beautufl.

Staff: So kind, caring, and attentive. they always had a smile for us and honestly really made this place great. I can't say enough good things about the staff, they were awesome!

All in all, great place. my ONLY "negative" comment is that it would be nice to have papertowels in the bathrooms around the resort and not blow dryers. But that's it.

Amazing stay, and a great dive shop, ProDive Mexico!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ScubaGirl22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!