Catalonia Riviera Maya
Barcelo Maya Beach(Puerto Aventuras)
$279
$216
  • Pool
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
$322
$279
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Palace(Puerto Aventuras)
$371
$243
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Tropical(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Colonial(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Caribe(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Beachfront
Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Resort(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
$278
$199
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)
$658
Coral Maya(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
$139
$124
Travelocity
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)
$352
TripAdvisor
9,984 results
All reviewstapasfishsnack barprivileged suiteel mercadothe lion kingstandard roomjapanese restaurantwater shoesa la carte restaurantspure chill out barcrepesgated communitysteakanimation teamsea lionslagoon area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 8, 2013

To start off....this resort has great ratings, I am for one a person who likes to do my homework before I pay a good amount of money on something. Myself and my husband have been to an all inclusive in Dominican which was not a horrible experience but we got what we paid for. However, this time we brought our 1yr old son with us and decided that we would spend a lot more for a beautiful resort.

When we got to the airport everyone was absolutely friendly and helpful. The resort was about 30 minutes away, when we got to the resort we were impressed at how amazing the staff were, we were offered drinks as soon as we got there and the check-in was fast.
ROOMS 1star
I am very fussy with rooms just because I like to sleep comfortably and have a clean room. The room was exactly what i was worried about. The room WAS clean but beds were hard, and the sheets weren't what I would have wanted them to be. The AC was okay and was kind of working.
We noticed there was a frog in front of our door every day..now keep in mind we were in the middle of the jungle and the season was "rainy" so there was A LOT of mosquito, frogs and other bugs. So now we noticed every morning there were HUGE cockroaches in our room and we have no idea how it got there but it was gross. Then the caterpillars that were there...beware...if you kill them they leave a horrible odour thats just gross so leave a door open. Now the frog that greeted us every night ended up in our room. So not only is it unsanitary because we have a baby, we were terrified. We walked to the reception and Sandy had said she would call the house keeper to spray something..we walked back to the room only to see the keeper cleaning the wrong room she was cleaning outside, now we had to walk back to the reception..she said shed call again. and back to the room we went. We couldnt find the frog and the keeper couldnt speak english so she didnt know what we were saying. Turns out when we called sandy She had no clue what a frog was. The lady left and we stayed up looking for the frog and we found it! now I called front desk for the 4th time now speaking to them, I was told that we'd get a call back to see if someone could give us a better room, i requested not a garden room because of what wed been experiencing and she said shed call. Never did!
CALLED again, spoke to a manager who said too bad we are in the jungle and these things happen, pretty much and if we wanted an ocean view room, it would be $60 more. Then he offered a room on the second floor..we had a baby with a stroller! im so annoyed at this point, long story short no one came to check, called again and the same keeper and security came and took the frog.

BEACH
WAS AMAZING, nothing ive ever seen before and it was magical!

FOOD
not so amazing, i was expecting better tasting food for the money i paid. Lots of options, i loved breakfast, and the crepes were a cool idea.

PEOPLE
Staff is honestly what saved my entire experience, they were lovely and I tolerated my stay because of how amazing they are.

Playa de Carmen
We decided to go off of the resort to the city and it was the best thing we ever did. If I ever go back to mexico id rent an apartment there because again, the people are the best, food is amazing and theres a lot of shopping!

THE RESORT
is HUGE and it gets really exhausting walking back and forth, especially with a baby.

overall i wouldnt go back to this resort or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Alia N A
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed at the Catalonia for 11 nights August this year, second time back at this hotel and even better than before. Could not fault the hotel. The staff were very friendly, made our stay a very happy one. We stayed in the upgrade rooms this time which were very well kept.
There is a small beach with a rocky area to the left which was brilliant for snorkling, lots of fish to look at hiding amongst the rocks. We borrowed bikes from the hotel a rode down to the marina where you can see dolphins,
Thanks to all the staff for making our stay so special.

Room Tip: Would recommend upgrading to a premium room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank colin s
Reviewed September 8, 2013

From the moment my wife and I walked in we were pampered with great service. The resort is very nice, big enough for variety but small enough to easily walk to everything. The upgrade is worth the little extra cost. The spa is great. At check in we were guided through everything by Roman who even allowed us to first view two rooms to see which we liked best. Beach tip, you should bring water shoes. There are a couple of places where you can walk in (east end of the boardwalk) but for the most part it is rocky out in the surf but no issue with the water shoes. This was a great stay and the service was fantastic.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Randy77_12
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My family went to this resort 6 years ago. We had a great stay and everything was 5 star including the evening shows.
My family decided to return to this resort in 2013. We spent 5 days and 4 nights at Catalonia in July of 2013.

The lady at the check in desk told us she was upgrading our stay to their sister hotel next door. She said the rooms were nicer at NO extra cost..etc..etc. We said OK. Then she asked us if we wanted to pay an additional $150 for some additional services to which we said No thank you. The lady left the counter for about 3 minutes and returned to tell us that the rooms she promised us were suddenly not available after all. We said...OK..and kept our standard rooms. But I walked away saying to myself,,hmm bait and switch!!

We had 3 rooms total for my family. Every room we had was extremely worn out. Paint on top of paint if you follow what I mean. Bathroom caulk over bathroom caulk. Bathrooms worn out!
Very used up looking rooms.
The mattresses were extremely old. The hotel had placed a foam pad on top of each mattress, which is a nice idea, but the pads were only a band-aid to the larger issue and problems.
The mattresses should have been changed out 3 years ago. For the purpose of descriptions, I doubt the Salvation Army would take in these worn beds!

The entire hotels exterior have all been repainted. It looks nice, But the fresh paint on the outside does not address the issue that every room I saw needs a complete renovation and not just paint and caulk over paint and caulk.

MOST of the staff were helpful and polite. I will also note for the record that a few of the younger entertainment guys spent far too much time trying to hit on pretty ladies at the hotel during our stay,, which also included suggestive comments to my wife!

Food was good at the specialty restaurants and reasonable for the main dining room.
The food was actually better at the Catalonia next door in our groups opinion.
The entertainment director told us that the hotel cut the number of employees used for shows and it looked that way which was sad! The theater for the shows has AC, but it was never used for any shows during our stay. The theater was hot and sweaty with a room full of people in less than 10 minutes. That is not good business! The entire hotel during our stay was short on staff. Some days it was after 5 pm before our rooms were cleaned. We would see housekeeping working until dark every day.

Commentary: The hotel needs to do something about the PEE pool. That is the pool with the bar in the water. During our stay, the same men and women used this pool every day. Many were using private jumbo drink containers which the bartenders were filling. Yet everyone else at every other pool gets a 6 ounce plastic cup to drink from. These same guests never, ever left that bar-pool. Not even to eat that I ever saw. Hence it is nothing more than a giant pee pool.
I think the hotel needs to place a 4 drink limit at the pee pool. Then they would have to get out and maybe they would use a restroom. Honestly it was disgusting to witness.
There are not enough chemicals that can clean and shock a pee pool when you have 40-70 people whizzing all day long in the pool which is not very large in the first place.

I really wanted to enjoy this hotel. 6 years ago it was the benchmark that we used to compare other all inclusive resorts against. 6 years ago I gave Catalonia 5 stars. Now I struggle to give the resort 3 stars! My group did appreciate the courtesy of every employee at this resort, from the front desk, to bartenders, to housekeeping to the entertainment staff.

The resort has many visual wows, but the devil is in the detail. The rooms need a complete re-do and not repaint. The hotel needs more staffing. When staff is short in numbers the quality goes down. That is pure fact! Reduces staffing that involves food also means that the risk for issues related to problems that can occur in the kitchen which can mean serious problems for the guests! I hope the resort owners take my information to task.

People always ask me the name of a good all-inclusive resort to go to because they know we go every year. I can no longer recommend Catalonia Riviera Maya! However

I would welcome the opportunity to see a complete fix up of the resort if the resort will pay my entire stay, IF the hotel owners really and honesty repaired the rooms, and put in new mattresses and new fixtures, has more staff to meet the needs of guests and to maintain the resort properly!

Respectfully submitted.

Room Tip: RIU..Playacar located in Playa del camren is our new favorite and number 1 all inclusive..
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We started going to the Catalonia in 2011. This was the first all inclusive resort we visited, so we had nothing to compare it too. In 2011 we felt the service, resort, grounds, location, etc. were great.
However the most recent trip in march 2013 left much to be desired.
When we arrived we were told that they didn't have our reservation. However long story short, after we agreed to pay the upgrade fee they suddenly found our reservation. Check in was pretty painful this time. We then were taken to our room which was a suite, that faced the road and construction on neighboring condos. The room looked as though it had not been cleaned since the last guest checked out. Check in time is 3pm. We arrived at 5pm. We called the front desk to request the room be cleaned and was informed we would have to wait until the next day! Really??!!?? So we made the most of it.
Buffets are average, always a variety to choose from. On the positive they did have the screens in place to keep the birds from entering the buffet area.
A la carte dining is pretty much a cluster.... First come first serve. Ok I get it but if your not standing at the door when they open you end up waiting several hours to get dinner, if at all.
Pools areas are great, the entertainment staff definitely make the resort. There is always something going on, even on rainy days you won't be board.
Bars and bar tenders (shout out to Jose and Gregorio) at the tequila bar. They were amazing. Always cracking jokes and keeping people entertained.

This resort needs some attention. It has a lot of potential.

• Stayed: March 2013