“Wonderful hotel.”

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 31, 2013

There are many restaurants to pick from, the beach is perfect and the staff are very helpful.
We had a standard room to start with which I think was very nice, but we decided to upgrade which was also very wonderful. Nicer room of course and overall made it a better holiday.

Unless you are very picky and fussy, you will be able to find something to eat all day and night and will not be disappointed with this wonderful hotel.

The complex surrounding it is also perfect.

Well worth a stay if visiting the Riviera Maya.

Room Tip: Privileged suites are perfect!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear Graycesomers,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us and for such nice comments.
It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.
We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!
Sincerely
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (9,430)

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We really enjoyed our holiday in the Catalonia hotel! Everything was like we wished for. The food selection is very good (loved the Italian restaurant!!!) and the entertainment team is very very good too. The rooms are a little bit small but it wasn't a problem because we stayed outside the whole day. One day we didn't have enough towels and when we asked they gave us more towels very quickly. Very good service!

We love diving so we looked for different options and where to go. We found an EXCELLENT dive school just 5 minutes walk from our hotel, called PLANET SCUBA MEXICO. It's a fantastic place and all the people there are very friendly and will give you a really professional service. And, they are also much cheaper than the little diving school inside the hotel (so we could dive more for our money).

Next time we would like to try the Catalonia Yukatan Beach. This hotel is next to the Catalonia Riviera Maya and we heard the rooms there are a little bit bigger.

1  Thank DiverS19

Dear DiverS19,

Thank you for comments about your recent stay with us at the Catalonia.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We booked our Honeymoon with this resort after looking at all the honeymoon suites and reviews and amenities that people get when on their honeymoons at this resort. When we arrived at the resort we were asked to upgrade and we agreed to upgrade to the honeymoon suite (There is a picture right next to the desk). We were told our room would not be ready for an hour so we could go eat lunch. I thought maybe the buffet was having a bad day but I did find some breads and some other edible items that I could eat. We went back to the front desk an hour later and were given our key cards and a room number 3130. We had a man help us with our bags and we headed towards are room. When we go to elevator it was not working and in fact we found out later it only went down not up. So we get to our room only to find out it is still being cleaned with maid in the room and as we peek in we realize this is a standard room with minibar and nothing special NOT a honeymoon suite! We wait about a half hour with the bell boy for our room to be cleaned..very annoying as we just want to unpack and shower after a long trip. Finally she is done cleaning our room we walk in and are shocked at how very basic this room is. We decide to try to make the best of it and just go talk to front desk...Big mistake he actually gets mad at us and says its an upgrade for the view. Ummm we in no way asked for a view and I am actually pretty sure that people at the pure chill out bar saw us both naked...Sorry if that was one of you. So we try to go back to our room and enjoy the rest of the night. We decided to go to the mikado Japanese restaurant the first night and thank goodness we did as it honestly became the only one we could eat a meal at (we ate there 3 times). I tried the tapas the Italian and the Mexican restaurants and the appetizers were all ok but the actual entrees were inedible or just plain disgusting! I want people to know I am in no way a picky eater and I love trying new foods and I am a pretty good cook. By the 2nd day we were so upset with our room which we now found out has a pest problem (called front desk 3 times to come spray) in the bathroom that we go to the privileged lounge to complain as we got None of the special Honeymoon amenities we were supposed to get according to the resorts website and book in room. So the lady tells us not to worry as she would have a special surprise in our room at 6pm that night. We were beyond excited. We went to Playa Del Carmen that morning to do some shopping but made sure we were back in time for our surprise in our room and guess what? NOTHING again! It was too late to call lady in the privileged lounge also as it was now 6pm and they closed at 5pm. Very disappointed! We ate at the Mexican restaurant our fourth night there and after having an inedible meal at the Tapas and the Italian restaurant I was praying and hoping for an edible one here as well..No such luck! I ordered the breaded chicken which was supposed to have some sort of fruit sauce anyways the chicken was impossible to cut and the sauce tasted like a bird had ate some mangoes and puked on it! Horrific! I wish they would of let me cook my own food! I honestly had a anxiety attack in the middle of the restaurant and could not breath not one person offered to help me besides my husband. I did finally make it to the bathroom and calm down and when I came back I demanded our ticket back and told them that I had to eat a meal this night as I had went 3 consecutive nights without one. They did give us our ticket back and thank god because we went straight to the Japanese restaurant. I am very fair skinned and I made sure I brought a ton of sunblock however was super disappointed that they closed the pools before sunset as that is the best time to swim and relax out of the sun. Also one of the special amenities for the honeymoon package is a romantic meal on the terrace and I want to say YUCK! The seafood soup they give you even smells foul like its rotten. For an Entree we were given shrimp which was just alright and a steak? I have never had something so tasteless in my life I wanted to say please recook put on salt and pepper and some chili or something ANYTHING your cooks suck badly if they cant make any cut of meat melt in your mouth. The creaperie was fantastic and was our dinner most nights as nothing else was edible. The men they have cooking deserve a huge raise as they actually know how to cook and in the heat on top of it. I felt sorry for them as the other cooks all had air conditioning and had not a clue how to cook. If you want a seat here good luck as people do not stand in line they just sit down as others leave and its totally unorganized. They definitely need more seating and wait staff at this place. I want to say we had an enjoyable time together and it had nothing to do with this resort. I Love my husband and we honestly would have had more fun camping than going here. At some point people have to stop drinking.. sober up and realize that the food and rooms here are just awful and outdated. If my children would have came here with us we would have had to eat off the resort as there was no normal children foods or Mexican fare which is shocking.. not one tamale or enchilada or tostada or menudo soup? They did have chicken and mole one night but it was no where near where it should have been. I also was upset that there was no hot sauce on any tables except the snack bar we felt as we were in Mexico there should have been at least one authentic dish? I complained every day after that and they finally gave us the extension number for the concierge whom on the 5th night (we only were staying 6 nights) finally gave us most of the amenities listed in honeymoon package still confused what we paid for at upgrade also as I looked at rooms we were going to be in and they were exactly the same. Want to also mention that they said the tried to call us several times we did finally get a note slid under our door while we were in our room and found out that in fact our phone did not work the entire time..Which is very scary as we have 3 children back home and knowing no one could have gotten through makes me very upset. By this time we were so upset and I was starving from the lack of edible food that we thought it was a slap in the face more than an amends. I honesty can say this whole resort is just horrible the lack of customer service and lack of care or compassion for their guests is unreal. The only good thing this resort has is the great people they have working for them..And I wish they would find a better company to work for. I am sad that we had to waste our money and our vacation time here. I want to say Mexico is a beautiful place and I am so happy I got to see the beaches and beauty it has to offer but PLEASE take your money elsewhere. When I say service was very good its not meaning the front desk either its the actual servers and bartenders NOT the awful managers and front desk workers they have working here that could care less about anything other than their paychecks.

6  Thank slorenzen1

Dear Slorenzen1,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

Regarding your comments made on our restaurants, we offer a great variety of food which is prepared for our guests to enjoy, with different kinds of cuisine each night. Our meals are prepared with the best selection of quality products and ingredients. We are very sorry to not have met your expectations, and that this was not mentioned to one of our staff members during your visit, so we could of take action and help find a solution.

On the other hand, thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our staff members, who work to make you vacation experience as memorable as possible.

We will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We took a "sisters" trip to Cancun in the Spring of 2013. Moms, sisters and friends all together. First this resort is a long long way from the airport. This property is an all-inclusive resort with just okay food and small dated rooms. Which is unfortunate when you are so far from other service options. Housekeeping is very inconsistant and can be late in the day. When you have been out all day and need to get ready to go to dinner, it can and was a problem, don't cross Lucia the maid. Bell service is hot and cold. Some times you feel welcome and other times you feel like you just bothered someone. Upon check in there were numberous folks complaining at the front desk, not a great first impression.
This resorts uses a very unfortunate way to upgrad guests. "Privilged" is everywhere. We were not offered this option so I guess.....I don't know. Just the same it made me feel some how unwelcomed. There so many options in the area, I would not go back here.
Now for something nice, they offer bikes, first come first serve, complimentary. The gentleman in the bike hut was so sweet and friendly. He would adjust our bikes and give us directions. Also complimentary and on sign-up basis are 20 minutes catamaran rides, very nice.
Once we were away from the resort and exploring the area we had a nice time, but would never go back.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room, you might get a sliver view of the water.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Imadoll2

Dear Iamadoll2,

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed from the 14th July until the 28th. We requested inter connecting rooms but as none were available we were upgraded for free. The room was amazing with walk in shower, two large beds and sitting room.

The hotel is really clean and well looked after and the staff work very hard to keep it that way.

The entertainment team are brilliant and try to involve everyone. We enjoyed the shows in the evenings.

Food was really good, with lots of selection and of high quality. Don't worry about not being able to book a table at the a la carte as there is lots of choice and you can always find what you want.

We all had a great time and would recommend this resort.

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank NKGJ

Dear NKGJ,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

We hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!
Sincerely

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Very clean and very well maintained rooms and hotel grounds. Constantly saw the cleaning staff disinfecting and cleaning the pool area/beach chairs. Staff was fast and attentive and took time to remember your name. We got upgraded to beachfront room that actually had 3 private balconies room 3131. AWESOME views.We could see everything and all activities /parties from our room. The food was your average all inclusive type deal. We paid for the grilled lobster romantic dinner on the beach and the meal was amazing. Perfect weather as well through out our stay so that made everything more fabulous. Many activities with in the resort- kayaking , fishing, etc... Great location, you could walk to dolphin discovery marina and swim the the dolphins and there was also a market area to shop for souvenirs and little restaurants where you could grab a snack.

Room Tip: Beach front is a MUST, great view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Sharon K

Dear Sharon K,
Thank you for your recent review about the Catalonia Riviera Maya.
We are very pleased that you had a good vacation, and had enjoyed all aspects of the hotel, rooms, food, activities and location.
Thank you for commenting and noticing about our grounds and staff. We aim to provide a clean and pleasent environment for all our guests to enjoy.
We hope you decide to visit us again in the future,
Regards,

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We had an excellent and amazing experience and time here! The hotel overall was awesome. The staff were super friendly. We had quick room delivery and we were super excited to stay here. It was awesome, very clean!!!

2  Thank HONdominik
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Dear Hondominik,

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Barcelo Maya Colonial
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Catalonia Royal Tulum
Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Resort
Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Reso...
#13 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!