“The Motel 6 of Puerto Aventuras”

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Where do I start? The standard rooms are a bit sub standard. Very plain. Very hard beds. Air conditioner that didn't work most of the week. It was 76 to 80 degrees in our room all week. We complained several nights to be told "it is OK now. It will be better in 15 minutes". Never was. Finally on next to last night got the front desk manager involved. He at first had the same attitude until I informed him I had a thermometer on my alarm clock & it was 80. Got moved the next day to a moldy room. The only picture was hanging at a VERY weird angle. When we straightened it we found out why--it covered a patch of mold on the wall about the size of a dinner plate. Thank goodness we were leaving the next day.

Was never able to get a chair at the very small pools. Families would take extra to put their stuff on or for their kids to run their toys over. That is if they were in them at all. Mostly empty chairs covered with towels with no one around. No one to enforce occupancy,

Food was mediocre. Breakfast & lunch were adequate but poor, if any, choice at night. Eat major meals early in the day & plan light for evening. Drink service nearly non existant at night. Even the self serve drink machine was broken half the time. The "premium" restaurants are not better. The tepanyaki place burned our meal. He was so involved with the "show" (which he was not any good at) that he burned the rice then cooked the meal on the burnt grill before he cleaned it. But the sushi was good.

Others have mentioned the "eco" theme. The only place we saw it was in the restricted availability of drinking water. Only one bottle per room for the week even tho they advised to NOT drink the tap water. They changed our sheets & towels daily even tho we asked them not to.

I found it interesting that they took EVERY currency EXCEPT USD. Weird.

I would not go back..

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank mylomonkey
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear mylomonkey,

Thank you for your feedback about your last stay with us.
We are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us please accept our sincerest apologies. Be sure that all the departments involved have been already informed about your comments in order to avoid situations like this will happen again in the future and make sure that if you decide to visit us again, we will exceed your expectations.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (9,742)

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Wasn't good wasn't bad. After going to a iberstar, this does not hold a candle. The big buffet really was no better than the scummy buffet we ave in our small town in PA. Restaurants were divine... Crepes were great! Beach sucks.... Terribly rocky. Girl threw up in pool last day. We ad diarrhea for a week afterwards and we drank bottled water. Won't go ack again. Worth paying 200 more for a better resort.

Room Tip: Pay for the ocean view and don't drink the water!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Missy K

Dear Missy K,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have just returned from this holiday and though I had a great vacation, there were serious hotel issues which I would like to share.

First of all do not book standard rooms, since they are very poorly equipped and badly located. There was a constant noise in our room from the street, hotel staff and just other guests passing by since the doors are pretty thin and barely hold in place. That's why I highly recommend paying for room safe. There were no theft issues in our case, but I've heard a lot.

Do not waste your time in a la carte restaurants that you receive coupons for upon arrival. Italian and Mexican places have an awful service where you need to come, wait for an hour to be seated and then wait for another hour to receive your mediocre food just the same as in the main buffet. When we try to talk about it with the manager, we got completely ignored. Period.

And I totally do not get hotel "ecology" policy. I can understand the desire to save water by changing sheets and towels less frequently, but one bottle of water (for the whole family!) for the duration of your stay? You must be kidding me. I do not book all inclusive hotel to bring my own water with me or to collect bottles and make some reserve for the night. Just bizarre. Really. But what to expect when you are told that to get simple umbrella for your room (which is included everywhere) you need to subscribe to a waiting list? Needless to say we did not get any during our stay. Perhaps the waiting list was tooooo long.

Location - perfect, the town - totally safe, but this hotel is just poor 2*, and I would not recommend anyone to book it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jangsty
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Dear Jangsty,

Reviewed July 21, 2013

we came back on the 16th July after 2 weeks at the Cat this was our 5th visit. Everything was great as usual. There was 9 of us on holiday together in 4 rooms which were all together on the same floor but after 6 nights the air-con broke and we were moved to premium rooms again they were together which was great. The premium rooms are lovely but the standard rooms were fine as well it was nice to experience both rooms on the same holiday (a big thank you to Alfredo on reception for organising this).Food was good as always but the a la carte restaurants were busy and we split up most nights for meals and just went where we could get in sometimes waiting an hour or more to get in. We all liked the steakhouse and Mexican and of course the Japanese which is great but you must go early ie 6 o clock to make sure you get in.The weather was a let down as there was thunder lightning and rain most days I know its the wet season but we were here last year at the same time and the weather was great maybe we were lucky last year anyway we think we won't do a long haul holiday next summer because of this. Breakfasts and lunch we had at the Mercado restaurant which is indoor and air -conditioned as the birds are a problem in the open restaurant and one of our group had a bird poop on her omelette one morning so it kind of put us off but the food in both buffets was fine.I hope to go back to the cat one day but will go back in the winter months to get better weather. There was a problem with our airport pick-up on our last day as there was a delay to our flight but the Thomson rep didn't inform us so we thought our transfer had forgotten us so we were panicking for a while till we rang the 24 hr hotline to get our new pick-up time .Finally a thank you to all the staff who were friendly and helpful as always.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank cattyuk

Dear cattyuk,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We just returned from a 8 day vacation at the Catalonia. It was more than we expected. The hotel is in a gated community, which makes you feel very safe. From the moment we arrived to the hotel we were greeted by friendly staff. Check-in was fast and easy. As I walked to my suite, I noticed that the hotel grounds were beautifully landscaped. We stayed in suite 8203 and it was tastefully decorated. We had our own refrigerator which was stocked with waters, soda, and beers daily. The bathroom was huge and had a double sink. There was a small pool outside on our patio with a couple of patio lounge chairs. The buffet was great! The food varied on a daily basis. You always had many options to choose from. I highly recommend the specialty restaurants. The food there is excellent. All the staff at this hotel was friendly and hardworking. Everything they did, they did so with a smile. We will definitely be coming back here and will let all our friends and family know that this place is a fabulous getaway.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the privileged suites! It is so worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank uclafrk

Dear uclafrk,

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Short and sweet from a realistic point of view.

The regular rooms don't have a clock, minibar, water, safe,etc. You take a chance of getting busted air conditioning. Do yourself a favor and upgrade. TRUST ME, it's worth it. We saw TONS of people trying to upgrade after they realized how crappy their room was. It was sad and funny at the same time. Again, UPGRADE IF YOU CAN, I don't regret it.

-The Beach is somewhat rocky. So be careful getting in and out.

-Wifi is very slow, but at least it's there.

-There is no reservation system for the la a carte restaurants, If you don't get there early, get ready to wait for at least 30min to 1 hour. This system is horrid.

-This is not an adults only hotel. Get ready for screaming/whining kids all over the place.

-When it gets busy at the buffet's -- The service goes down. You'll notice that the service is excellent when it's not busy -- but they simply don't have the manpower for good service when they are at 100% capacity. You can go 30min or so at the buffet without anyone asking for if you needed water or a drink.. I mean, It's kind of ridiculousness. I don't blame the staff for this.. BLAME MANAGEMENT for manpower shortages.

-ALL the bartenders are amazing.

-TIP FOR BETTER SERVICE. don't be cheap. You'll notice everything is better when you tip. Cleaning service, bartenders ect. So many people walked away without tipping.. Cheap losers.

-BE CAREFUL about leaving your towel unattended. Other guests may steal towels. (happen to me) The hotel charges 20$usd for towels.. people seem to walk away with them on the beach, so just keep an eye out for this. It's really annoying.

-They do NOT enforce the pants only rule for men. So many people wearing shorts. I stopped wearing pants and opted out for shorts after day 2.

-Buffets (Compared to other 4.5/5stars) in the area are lacking a selection of meats. Not sure why, but dont expect BEEF/CHICKEN/PORK all the time. The selection is somewhat lacking. Ive been to many other hotels in the area with better selections, especially at dinner time.

-The shops only take pesos - or you can charge to your room. Forget about American dollars at the gift shop. There is a currency exchange open but you get hosed.

-OVERALL, if the price is right, book it. I didn't see this as a 4 star by any means. You get what you pay for. ALL the staff on site were amazing and kind. I think this hotel has other issues with management that they need to address (and man-power) They struggle when its busy, and its noticeable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mikex67

Dear mikex67,

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We loved this place, the staff was very friendly, the food was great and a lot of variety. I partucularly loved the Spanish and Mexican restaurant!!..ohh and the entertainers were excellent!!!..the shows were very professional, our kids were never hungry and loved the fact that they could play Pool with us and even get alcohol free beverages!!.
The rooms were spacious and clean. We also liked the fact that everything was just 5 minutes at the most from our room. Special thanks to Alex, Giovanni, Diana and ALL the staff for making our vacation an unforgattable one!!!

This was our first time traveling to Mexico and we had such a great time that we can't wait to go back and visit this beautiful country!!
I will recomend Catalonia to everybody!!!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Astrid E
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Dear Astrid E,

Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#11 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#77 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!