“Beautiful and affordable resort, but one loud night will keep us from returning” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
kansas city, missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed at CRM May 4th - 11. A group of 7 adults of our family. It was a trip to celebrate my Mother-in-Laws 80th Birthday.

Pros: Beautiful grounds - well maintained. Check in - Adseil (bell boy) was very patient and accomodating as we needed to change 2 of the rooms. Also (due to my advance notice) prior to changing rooms, a Birthday banner was on the appointed door and a birthday cake was delivered before we could even move! Staff - the vast majority of the staff are pleasant and accomodating. Esther at La Brisas and Miquel at El Mercado (as buffet) in addition to Pablo at the Tappas were very accomodating to my Mom in law - she is non-hearing and they treated her like royalty. The Mikado (Japanese) was a highlight for both the food and the presentation. In addition, when I informed the staff of her Birthday, they took extra steps to create a party table with balloons and a cake, and sang Happy Birthday. The supervisors/staff on duty the evening of May 5th are to be commended, and I am very sorry that I did not get their names. Food was very good for resort, lots of choices for everyone. Japanese and the Tappas were the best. Italian was fairly good. The steakhouse was nice - order the filet and NOT the t-bone as its a thin cut and very tough. Our favorite place, the Pure Chill out bar had good service, relaxing music and beautiful view. We had a day pass in the spa and it is lovely and relaxing. Activities were posted clearly inside the resort boards and a schedule in the room. Cleaning staff were effective and efficient. My mother-in-law fell in a stairwell on the Catalonia side, and security and medic were there nearly instantaneously. Luckily it was just a few nasty scrapes and she was ok. They had her daughter fill in a report, they treated her injuries and called her later in the evening to make sure she still felt ok and to see if she needed to see the doctor.

Neutral: While the staff refilled the 3 water bottles in our fridge every day, they didn't provide additional for coffee. We took a trip to the buffet to refill, but thought it should be a part of the Privileged room. Our tour company returned my sister's sweater to the front desk, along with a room number and name, but when we went to the front desk to locate it - they were completely lost. I had to spend about 20 minutes with the bell boy area for assistance and they were able to follow through and locate it, This seems like a no-brainer for service, so I placed it in the neutral section - front desk dropped the ball. The spa info seems elusive, several folks were asking how the day passed worked when I was there. It would have been nice to be able to visit the a la carte restaurants every night. Our group of 7 booked through a few different agencies and the room type descriptions were not accurate. Oceanview rooms state either a King or 2 doubles - which is not the case (funjet / orbitz). Please work with your vendors to fix this. We had to do some changing when we arrived because of this - siblings staying in the same room won't share a bed. The rollaway bed brought to the ocean view room was very comfortable - so that should be a Pro.

Cons: The first night after a long day of travel and we were kept awake all night (see a previous review) until 3 am with a party next door, unrelated to the CRM property. The front desk was apathetic to the issue at 1 am. This was the talk of bulding residents 7, 8 & 9 all the next day/week. This was a HUGE disappointment for our family, and many folks around us said they would not return because of this. If the resort has no control over this area, then how can anyone believe this won't happen during their stay? Another wedding took place the following week and this did not happen, so I don't believe it was related to the wedding earlier that day. Door slamming (while not isolated to this hotel) was bothersome, both late at night and early in the AM. The suite buildings have signs requesting silence - please post this in all buildings, it may help with those who seem to have bad manners. Our room overlooked the 'party' pool, and when our patio door was closed, the noise was not bothersome UNLESS the coco bongo PA system was being used. I would have loved to take an afternoon nap or two, but this was impossible with the PA system in constant use from 11:30 - 4 pm every day. It was tough to find a quiet spot on this resort, I left feeling more exhausted than when I arrived.

My mother-in-law had a trip that she will never forget, and our group genuinely enjoyed their stay, but I would have liked a quite place to go for a siesta!

Room Tip: Privileged Ocean view rooms are king beds only.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Cinderellis,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a completely perfect experience.

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us. We are sorry for the inconvenience of the noise from the event that took place in the beach area next to the hotel. This area is not property of the hotel for which we do not have control of the events that take place there. The hotel management reported the issue to the security of the complex, but it was not in our power to stop the event.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

We have just returned from a weeks vacation here and I wish we were still there! I must admit after reading some reviews I was a little nervous about what the resort was like. I've basically come to the conclusion that people complain about the silliest things and for the money that this resort costs...there should be no complaints. My girlfriend and I stayed here from May 7th-13 will straight through flights out of JFK..our cost pp=735.00! The resort is gorgeous, the grounds are the cleanest I have ever withnessed and I've been to a Sandals before. The staff is so polite and really make you feel welcome.

Yes, the beach is on the small side, but unless you are one of those fitness freaks who runs on the beach every morning...what to do you need it for? Go to Cancun and you can walk for miles...but you also deal with high rise resorts one after the other on top of each other. The beach here is great for snorkeling. I've read complaints about not being able to get in the water because of the rocks...once again...pay attention people, I found 3 easy spots of getting in and out of the water and there are plenty of places to swim.

The pools and grounds are really kept up...the staff is constantly cleaning. I didn't even see any flies around the bar areas that I've witnessed at other resorts.

We weren't able to upgrade to privleged as we were told that there were no upgrades available. At first I was a little upset, but it is what it is. They give you 3 passes to use at the restaurants..we did the Italian(ok..but then again i'm from NJ and I'm Italian) and the steakhouse 2x since it was so good the first time. The buffet was a little rough for my liking and my only complaint of the entire trip. I wish that you had the choice of a restaurant every night and I would probably give this property a 5. I found many of the items to be bland and the same things are served pretty much each day.

I like to visit a different place each vacation, but I would definitely recommend the Cat!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike C
Dear Mike C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us and for such nice comments.

It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel.

We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Buffalo, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

We just came back from this resort last week; we stayed there from 5/3 to 5/8. We loved the resort, and are already planning on going back next year. After staying here, we can’t imagine any other resort making us happier; especially for the price we paid.

Food – So many options, all delicious. There are two buffets, open air and air conditioned. Though they had mostly the same food, the open air buffet had a couple extra options. It was great for breakfast, lunch and dinner with breakfast being our favorite. The grill by the pool also had some great lunch/late night options. We loved the Japanese restaurant and highly recommend it, we really enjoyed the Mexican restaurant as well. Don’t miss the creperie! It opens every night at 5pm. It has great coffee drinks, milkshakes, crepes and ice cream. Try their mocha shake, you won’t regret it.

Beach – Though the beach was small we were always able to get a chair, although it was hard to get one out of the sun. Great snorkeling by the lagoon, lots of fish and you get a free hour of equipment rental every day. The water was pretty shallow in both the lagoon and the ocean so it made it hard to swim, but very comfortable to relax in. Some areas of the beach are rocky, but we never had a problem finding a sandy entrance into the water.

Staff – Wonderful. Everyone was extremely friendly and very attentive. They were also constantly cleaning the property. The maids did a great job cleaning the room and the bartenders were able to make almost any drink, if they didn’t know it you could just tell them what was in it. The only problem we had was with the front desk staff. We ordered sunscreen that was supposed to be delivered to us via the front desk and they lost it. The desk did not reimburse or even seem to care about the situation. They generally just brushed us off anytime we needed anything.

Room - We went for the standard room, and it was perfectly fine for us. We didn’t feel like we needed to upgrade. The air conditioning was nice and the room was very clean. The only problem was that the hot water ran out twice while we were there.

There’s a quiet half of the resort and a louder/party side of the resort, so it’s really perfect for anyone. We saw lots of families as well as couples and singles enjoying themselves.

Cannot speak highly enough of the resort, counting down to when we can go again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Marina S
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Marina S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us and for such nice comments.

It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

This is our 5th Resort in the Rivieria Maya and was better then expected. Stayed 7 nights in a privilege suit that was very nice in building 9. We really enjoyed the Spanish and Japan restraunts. The other specialty restraunts were ok. Never ate in the 2 buffet restraunts except desert and it taste like all other all inclusive reports we have stayed at. The food was just ok but we find this at all the places we stay. At all the restraunts they have a stain stick at the doorway for customers we thought this was a good idea but we would of rather scene hand sanatizor. The beach was fine with a reef and sandy spots losts of fish my 5 year old loved it. Had a wedding one night at a private area near the lagon.. They partied like no other until 3 am so was not a pleasent night sleep and when I called to complain there is nothing they could do because its not Catalonia property. Another negative is there is no security on the lagoon side of the property near the cabanas were the catalonia weddings are held. Everyday we would see local residence at this location and just added more concern for our property while we were on the beach. Some of the staff was great like any other property there were some grumps. Taxi cabs take advantage of people 295 pesos is 30 dollars American.. It's really 26 dollars and change. We found if you walk off property you can get at least the proper exchange rate but it requires negotiations with the taxi driver and this gets annoying. They also tried to charge me 98 dollars for 100 ib prophen at the pharmacy in puerta aventures. I told them that was crazy and then she said 80 dollars we walked out. Everything is high priced in a tourist area and I get that but its getting stupid. At the airport I paid 29 dollars for 2 milkshakes and a French fry. I would send others to the catalonia resort but only if they got a privledged suit. Make sure you tip every meal and every cleaning lady. These people work hard and from what I gathered a lot of people don't tip and based on the prices someone is making money but it is not the hard worker making 10 dollars a day working 6 days a week with a smile on their face. I would stay at this resort again and we enjoyed our stay. Thank you catalonia for the great week

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Demetry
Dear Demetry,

Thank you very much for your comments, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience, we are disappointed to have not entirely met your expectations during your stay with us.

Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a two week holiday at the Catalonia Riviera Maya, and may I firstly say a big well done to all the staff for keeping this large hotel running so well, It was spotlessly clean throughout, and the gardens were very well maintained, we stayed in the privaleged suites which were great, just a bit of a shame we only got the sun on the terrace between sun up and 9am, we really enjoyed our holiday and in the main all was very good,but not to put a downer on it,there were a couple of things that did irritate us a bit that I feel are worth a mention. The heavy rock Music in the "chill Bar " was repetitive and loud not so "chilled"? For me the local alcohol was ok but not great, but fair play to the lads working behind the bars !! They done well trying to look after many demanding drinkers mainly groups of American and Russians on a mission to get plastered by mid day ??? But I think my personal biggest moan was that we enjoyed to lay out on the beach most days, the water was clear and warm,the sand was white, the sun was hot and all was tranquil ( get the picture ) Then by mid morning you would get the pool entertainment staff bellowing out all the interaction games on the microphones !!! I don't really know why they have to shout so loud, everyone who wants to take part are stood right next to them?? But hey I'm 50 and maybe it's just me ?
But all in all this is a very enthusiastic, well run Hotel that has something for everyone ,
Thankyou to all at the Catalonia for making our stay a good one ,

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rodwen1
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I visited Catalonia Riviera Maya in December 2012 – I LOVED it but I will try to keep it brief.

Upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted by happy staff with cocktails for us, we checked in and my partner managed to blag us an upgrade because it was our anniversary – we were then shown to our suite - which was stunning.

The hotel grounds are beautiful, they are immaculately kept and very clean - I have seen a few negative comments about building work etc. On the odd day there were workers doing bits and pieces, but by no means did this disturb us or anyone else, - anyway how can a hotel maintain its high standards without making improvements? We used the gym regularly which was well maintained and the spa was also beautiful. The staff are constantly cleaning – which is always nice to see especially with a pool bar!

The restaurants are great, I think some people expect Michelin star dining when they visit these resorts and being a ‘foodie’ myself, I was not disappointed with what I was offered. The food is not exceptional (which personally I would not expect) but it is enjoyable and my favourite restaurants were the grill and the Japanese restaurant. – All in all the food is good, there is never a shortage but make sure you get to breakfast early to avoid a small queue for a table (10 minutes max). The Mexican restaurant, I believe, catered to a tourists palette and therefore did not blow me away but nevertheless the food was nice and I LOVED the guacamole! All in all I was impressed with the food!

All of the staff are very friendly and courteous and will always say ‘Hola’!! The entertainment staff are hilarious and always kept everyone laughing by the pool and then in the evening, but at the same time they respected that not everyone wanted to join in and it was nice to see that they gave everyone the option to enjoy themselves how they wanted. We would often go to the disco and the sports bar in the evening which we thoroughly enjoyed – We met an AMAZING group of people so were very fortunate to enjoy everyone’s company, and with so many couples the drinks flow very easily.

The beach is stunning, very clean and the water is beautiful and crystal clear, I completed my PADI Open Water Scuba Diving course with the scuba school on site at Catalonia and Andreas (our instructor) made the training great fun. I have to add – if you like diving – you HAVE to go here, we didn’t get the chance to visit Cozumel, but I have heard wonderful things. We did however do a Bull Shark Dive which was one of the most awesome experiences of my life!

We visited Chichen Itza, did a jungle trek with zip lines and abseiling, I also swam with dolphins and manatees at the marina.

I love to travel and have always vowed never to return to the same place twice… I will however be retuning to Catalonia Riviera Maya. It was the best holiday I have ever experienced, everything about the trip was magical and I have the most amazing memories. I would recommend the hotel to anyone and everyone, from groups of friends, couples, families and anyone in between.

Thank you Catalonia Riviera Maya for an amazing holiday! :D

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Heatheroag
Dear Heatheroag,

It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel, the staff and our lovely country.

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

I traveled here in April of 2011 and I stayed in a standard room.

In terms of the room, I slept well and it was quiet enough for a restful slumber. The standard room is a tad on the depressing side, and without a mini bar that got restocked with water, getting water was a bit of a pain.

The food at the buffets was good enough, nothing particularly great but I could always find some good Mexican dishes so that kept me happy. The a la cartes were a little bit better, in particular the tapas restaurant and the Mexican restaurant were good.

The beach area was a little bit small for my tastes, but nothing to complain about really. I was always able to find a lounge chair by the beach.

The bars did not offer a lot of selection of alcohol beyond generic booze, but the bartenders were friendly and could whip you up something new upon request. My main complaint about the bars related to the evening hours. At one point, the only place to get a drink was right outside the entertainment hall, and I didn't always feel like drinking there because it was hot and nowhere near the scenic beach. Then after that bar closed down, the only place to get a drink was at the disco which was quite a distance away from the beach as well. All of that being said, I just got my drinks and went off to one of the beach bars, pulled up a chair and had a pretty chill time right by the ocean.

Overall, it's a pretty good resort, but I'd pay the extra $200 to go somewhere a bit nicer like the Grand Sirenis.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear TotontoJose,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience.

Regarding your comments made on our restaurants, we offer a great variety of food which is prepared for our guests to enjoy, with different kinds of cuisine each night. Our meals are prepared with the best selection of quality products and ingredients. We are very sorry to not have entirely met your expectations.

On the other hand, thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our staff members, who work to make you vacation experience as memorable as possible.
We will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,841 reviews

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!