“Nice Resort”

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Nice Resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

This is our 5th Resort in the Rivieria Maya and was better then expected. Stayed 7 nights in a privilege suit that was very nice in building 9. We really enjoyed the Spanish and Japan restraunts. The other specialty restraunts were ok. Never ate in the 2 buffet restraunts except desert and it taste like all other all inclusive reports we have stayed at. The food was just ok but we find this at all the places we stay. At all the restraunts they have a stain stick at the doorway for customers we thought this was a good idea but we would of rather scene hand sanatizor. The beach was fine with a reef and sandy spots losts of fish my 5 year old loved it. Had a wedding one night at a private area near the lagon.. They partied like no other until 3 am so was not a pleasent night sleep and when I called to complain there is nothing they could do because its not Catalonia property. Another negative is there is no security on the lagoon side of the property near the cabanas were the catalonia weddings are held. Everyday we would see local residence at this location and just added more concern for our property while we were on the beach. Some of the staff was great like any other property there were some grumps. Taxi cabs take advantage of people 295 pesos is 30 dollars American.. It's really 26 dollars and change. We found if you walk off property you can get at least the proper exchange rate but it requires negotiations with the taxi driver and this gets annoying. They also tried to charge me 98 dollars for 100 ib prophen at the pharmacy in puerta aventures. I told them that was crazy and then she said 80 dollars we walked out. Everything is high priced in a tourist area and I get that but its getting stupid. At the airport I paid 29 dollars for 2 milkshakes and a French fry. I would send others to the catalonia resort but only if they got a privledged suit. Make sure you tip every meal and every cleaning lady. These people work hard and from what I gathered a lot of people don't tip and based on the prices someone is making money but it is not the hard worker making 10 dollars a day working 6 days a week with a smile on their face. I would stay at this resort again and we enjoyed our stay. Thank you catalonia for the great week

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Demetry
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Demetry,

Thank you very much for your comments, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience, we are disappointed to have not entirely met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,047)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a two week holiday at the Catalonia Riviera Maya, and may I firstly say a big well done to all the staff for keeping this large hotel running so well, It was spotlessly clean throughout, and the gardens were very well maintained, we stayed in the privaleged suites which were great, just a bit of a shame we only got the sun on the terrace between sun up and 9am, we really enjoyed our holiday and in the main all was very good,but not to put a downer on it,there were a couple of things that did irritate us a bit that I feel are worth a mention. The heavy rock Music in the "chill Bar " was repetitive and loud not so "chilled"? For me the local alcohol was ok but not great, but fair play to the lads working behind the bars !! They done well trying to look after many demanding drinkers mainly groups of American and Russians on a mission to get plastered by mid day ??? But I think my personal biggest moan was that we enjoyed to lay out on the beach most days, the water was clear and warm,the sand was white, the sun was hot and all was tranquil ( get the picture ) Then by mid morning you would get the pool entertainment staff bellowing out all the interaction games on the microphones !!! I don't really know why they have to shout so loud, everyone who wants to take part are stood right next to them?? But hey I'm 50 and maybe it's just me ?
But all in all this is a very enthusiastic, well run Hotel that has something for everyone ,
Thankyou to all at the Catalonia for making our stay a good one ,

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rodwen1
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I visited Catalonia Riviera Maya in December 2012 – I LOVED it but I will try to keep it brief.

Upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted by happy staff with cocktails for us, we checked in and my partner managed to blag us an upgrade because it was our anniversary – we were then shown to our suite - which was stunning.

The hotel grounds are beautiful, they are immaculately kept and very clean - I have seen a few negative comments about building work etc. On the odd day there were workers doing bits and pieces, but by no means did this disturb us or anyone else, - anyway how can a hotel maintain its high standards without making improvements? We used the gym regularly which was well maintained and the spa was also beautiful. The staff are constantly cleaning – which is always nice to see especially with a pool bar!

The restaurants are great, I think some people expect Michelin star dining when they visit these resorts and being a ‘foodie’ myself, I was not disappointed with what I was offered. The food is not exceptional (which personally I would not expect) but it is enjoyable and my favourite restaurants were the grill and the Japanese restaurant. – All in all the food is good, there is never a shortage but make sure you get to breakfast early to avoid a small queue for a table (10 minutes max). The Mexican restaurant, I believe, catered to a tourists palette and therefore did not blow me away but nevertheless the food was nice and I LOVED the guacamole! All in all I was impressed with the food!

All of the staff are very friendly and courteous and will always say ‘Hola’!! The entertainment staff are hilarious and always kept everyone laughing by the pool and then in the evening, but at the same time they respected that not everyone wanted to join in and it was nice to see that they gave everyone the option to enjoy themselves how they wanted. We would often go to the disco and the sports bar in the evening which we thoroughly enjoyed – We met an AMAZING group of people so were very fortunate to enjoy everyone’s company, and with so many couples the drinks flow very easily.

The beach is stunning, very clean and the water is beautiful and crystal clear, I completed my PADI Open Water Scuba Diving course with the scuba school on site at Catalonia and Andreas (our instructor) made the training great fun. I have to add – if you like diving – you HAVE to go here, we didn’t get the chance to visit Cozumel, but I have heard wonderful things. We did however do a Bull Shark Dive which was one of the most awesome experiences of my life!

We visited Chichen Itza, did a jungle trek with zip lines and abseiling, I also swam with dolphins and manatees at the marina.

I love to travel and have always vowed never to return to the same place twice… I will however be retuning to Catalonia Riviera Maya. It was the best holiday I have ever experienced, everything about the trip was magical and I have the most amazing memories. I would recommend the hotel to anyone and everyone, from groups of friends, couples, families and anyone in between.

Thank you Catalonia Riviera Maya for an amazing holiday! :D

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Heatheroag
Dear Heatheroag,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us and for such nice comments.

It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel, the staff and our lovely country.

We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

I traveled here in April of 2011 and I stayed in a standard room.

In terms of the room, I slept well and it was quiet enough for a restful slumber. The standard room is a tad on the depressing side, and without a mini bar that got restocked with water, getting water was a bit of a pain.

The food at the buffets was good enough, nothing particularly great but I could always find some good Mexican dishes so that kept me happy. The a la cartes were a little bit better, in particular the tapas restaurant and the Mexican restaurant were good.

The beach area was a little bit small for my tastes, but nothing to complain about really. I was always able to find a lounge chair by the beach.

The bars did not offer a lot of selection of alcohol beyond generic booze, but the bartenders were friendly and could whip you up something new upon request. My main complaint about the bars related to the evening hours. At one point, the only place to get a drink was right outside the entertainment hall, and I didn't always feel like drinking there because it was hot and nowhere near the scenic beach. Then after that bar closed down, the only place to get a drink was at the disco which was quite a distance away from the beach as well. All of that being said, I just got my drinks and went off to one of the beach bars, pulled up a chair and had a pretty chill time right by the ocean.

Overall, it's a pretty good resort, but I'd pay the extra $200 to go somewhere a bit nicer like the Grand Sirenis.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear TotontoJose,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience.

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

Regarding your comments made on our restaurants, we offer a great variety of food which is prepared for our guests to enjoy, with different kinds of cuisine each night. Our meals are prepared with the best selection of quality products and ingredients. We are very sorry to not have entirely met your expectations.

On the other hand, thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our staff members, who work to make you vacation experience as memorable as possible.
We will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We have just returned from our 9th stay at the Catalonia ,it feels like our second home. As usual excellent service from all the staff and great entertainment from the animation team. There is always a wide selection of good quality food and plenty of it. Please do not be put off by some of the reports, when we read them we wonder if the people have stayed at the same hotel !! The Bamoleo Grill [steakhouse] and La Creperie are a must, but all restaurants are very good. I am sure that we will return !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear dianne c,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us.

We feel very proud and glad to hear such nice comments from our repeat guests, It is great to know that you always have a good holiday with us and you feel here like home.

We definitely hope to see you again soon, it will be our pleasure to welcome once again!

Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I must start off by saying that it's an amazing resort. EVERYONE speaks English not like mentioned on other reviews. The resort had clean rooms, clean pools, bars everywhere, and the food at the buffet was great. The ONLY resort worth making reservations was the Japanese. The activities was also great. I treated my wife to the romantic dinner offered and it was worth every cent paid (the food will have you licking your fingers). However, the only downside was the front desk. Could not located my reservations and took about a hour to get my room. When checking out, your asked to pay for any other expenses (romantic dinner, and international phone calls) and they only accept Mexican currency or Visa (had to find an ATM at 4am to pay!!!!).

Room Tip: Privilige rooms are in the quieter section of the property and the basic rooms are the most crowded...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chulodee
Dear Chulodee,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.
It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Regarding your comments about the hotel not accepting American Dollars, due to Mexican Federal Disposition (Law of credit Institutions) we are not able to accept American Dollars in cash. For our guests convenience, we accept local currency, Canadian Dollars (Plus Euro and Pound Sterling) or payments by credit or debit cards, please accept my apologies if this was an inconvenience for you at the moment of your check out.

Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Just got back form the Catalonia Riviera Maya (05/06- 05/10/2013), and can say I wish we were back there now. If anyone goes hungry, then it is their own fault. Buffets were excellent, with many choices for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The Mexican and Oriental resturaunts were all we could have asked for.
We had no problems with checking in or out. All the help, no matter where in the resort were more than happy to help, advise, or joke with you. We wiil definetely be booking for another stay. Only drawback was the ride in. It was a little bumpy. Can't hold that against the resort tho.
Leaving Mexico's 85 degrees and arriving in Chicago's 45 degrees was to say a rude awakening.
Photos to be added later.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear EastsidePolishPrince,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us.
We feel very proud and glad to hear such nice comments from our guests, It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed your holiday with us

We definitely hope to see you again soon, it will be our pleasure to welcome you once again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Catalonia Playa Maroma
Catalonia Playa Maroma
#4 of 5 in Playa Maroma
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,774 reviews

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!