“You get what you pay for”

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Paso Robles, California
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Beautiful atmosphere friendly staff and like most reviews lets get to the details. This is not just my experience but other guests I was traveling with. Going GREEN well most showers were almost warm due to what i'm guessing was solar water heating. The beds were a 3/4" sheet of plywood with a mattress on top, great if your into firm mattresses. The food at 90% of the restaurants was mediocre. If this trip was to experience some great or authentic Mexican food you will be disappointed.
This was not my first trip to Mexico and although I did not get sick from the dreaded water issue there were a lot of others that spent two or three days on the tolet.
This is where the one suggestion to the ALL INCLUSIVE HOTELS comes in. If your going to include a case of Montezuma's Revenge have the decency to stock the medication for it on site and lets just call it another FREE drink at the bar!
I also read other reviews and although it sounded crazy I wished I would have had my 16oz insulated cup for the bartender. 6oz. plastic cups really!
All in all it was a fun trip and the best stops were Explor (great zip-lines) and Chichen Itza

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MrMrsMac265
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear MrMrsMac265,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience.

Regarding your comments about our restaurants, we offer a great variety of food and theme nights which are organized for our guests to enjoy different kinds of cuisine each night. Our meals are prepared with the best selection of quality products and ingredients. We are very sorry to not have met your expectations, and that this was not mentioned to one of our staff members during your visit.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Some people complain the beach in this hotel being rocky. But as someone who loves snorkeling, this beach has lots of interesting features like rock and corel and you can see so many diverse fish there. I was really impressed with it. There is also area with soft white sands under the water in the beach. So if you simply prefer that kind of beach, you can still enjoy it.

The food was good, also. The buffet had a diverse selection of food and the quality was good.
I love the crape cafe that opens between 5pm-11pm.

Here are a few wishes.

1) I went to a la carte restaurent for one night and I chose the Japanese restaurant Mikado. As a Japanese, I had to say I was not impressed with this restaurant at all. They should stop doing cheesy teppanyaki chef performance. You never see that in Japan. That was invented in the US for entertaining purpose. And rather they should focus on improving the food quality of Japanese dishes.

2) The gril and snack restaurant closed at 5pm. I think it should open through out the day.

3) hot jagguzi pool please!!! I noticed very few hotels have a hot jagguzi pool. (I am not talking about spa). But i am sure people would love to have that at night drinking some alchole.

4 Thank kutmasta
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear Kutmasta,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.
As you are aware, our policy is to please our customers, and we appreciate ideas like yours that help us to serve our customers in a more efficient manner. We certainly thank you for your timely suggestion.
We hope you will decide to visit us again in the future,
Best Regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

We went with my brother and parents and had the best time ever...
Rooms are spotless... Food and drinks are amazing.. Pool and beaches are well kept. Great choice of food. Staff and reps are fantastic.. Best beach i have ever seen and i have done some travelling.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank swbsoniab
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear Swbsoniab,

It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.

We hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!
Sincerely

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

We are here right now. Love it. No, it isn't a 5 star, but it is clean, and the staff is friendly. I would recommend it. The pools are clean, the grounds are beautiful. We are seasoned all inclusive travelers, and I am picky, but we aren't snobs. We know we are in a third world country. Feel free task me any questions.

Room Tip: If you have to have a coffee maker, a safe then do privileged.
8 Thank cutiebug1972
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Cutiebug1972,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel, it´s great to hear that you are enjoying you holiday!!! Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our staff members, who are working to make you vacation experience as memorable as possible.
Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip,

Best regards,

Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

When we got to the airport it was total chaos with the setting up of our pick up to the resort since there were only four of us instead of eight. Mains and Larsens paid for their own taxi to go early to the resort. We waited an hour for them to finally set us up something since they cancelled our private taxi and we had to take a bus that had 15 other people on it. While waiting we ran into Dwayne and told him to get on our bus with us. They gave him a bad time since they had marked him as a no show cause his flight was hours late. We got to the resort about four pm and guess what –they were completely over booked. They talked the 5 of us into going “just up the street” to their other resort Catalonia Magana and staying for one night. If we did that they would upgrade us all into suites when we came back. The resort the sent us to took over 40 minutes to get to. After already being on that long ride from Cancun we were tired. When we got to their other resort they booked us in their privileged area and put Gary and I into their “Honeymoon” suite. It was beautiful. This resort was a 10. Very quiet posh atmosphere. We were treated really well. Maid service wasn’t consistent in the other buildings but in bldg. 12 the lady was very thorough – just slow. They gave us tickets to one of their specialty restaurants (The food was not a good meal but beautifully prepared). Drinks were good but not fantastic. The grounds were very Beautiful. But the beach was Gorgeous! We walked up and down it after dark – just wonderful. Too bad the whole group didn’t get bumped to this resort – we may have asked to stay. So the next morning another long ride back to Riviera Maya. Valerie/Lori & Dwayne had left us and so Gary and I were on our own to get back. When we arrived we were given suite #8412, across the hall from Valerie’s. We had a view of the road – not good. Could hear the delivery trucks come and go early in the morning. I can say the suite was beautiful but I would have not paid the extra to upgrade to it. We never used the bird poop covered tub out on the deck. I rate that a 4. The lighting in the bathroom was awful! Hard to put makeup on – had to use the deck with a hand mirror. We did our normal group room crawl and got to see each other’s home for the week. Thomas lucked out and got the best room in bldg. 8 way up top and close to the beach. He had a great view. Larsens and Yeagleys were in bldg. B by the main lobby and Larsens had a great view from their room. Yeagleys got stuck with double beds & room was also on the dark side. Val and I got top floor rooms in bldg. 12 suites. I give them 8s. Dwaynes room was a suite in bldg. 11 bottom floor and smelled BAD of Mold. We were lucky and got 4 specialty tickets so we could try out all the resorts higher end restaurants. The specialty restaurants were very good. I liked what I got in the Italian one, Steak house was so good, and the Mexican one was just so so. We also went to the Terrace and it was 10 times better than the Terrace at the last resort. Drinks were the best on the whole resort at that restaurant. But drinks in general were bad at this resort. They used some type of artificial mixes and low end alcohol. I tried many different types of drinks and NONE were tasteful. If good drinks and such are your priority at a resort – this isn’t the place to go. They didn’t have America beer (only saw Budweiser) unless you wanted to buy it extra out of their vending machine (LOL). The Terrace restaurant had some higher end alcohol and drinks tasted better there. We tried the Crepperie and got milkshakes, banana splits and coffee after dinner. (One of the guys snuck back over and got a double shot of Baileys from the bar) they added it to their coffee as we sat out in the evening after dinner. The shows were HORRIBLE. Only the one the last night with the dancers was worth watching. Skip the comedy and the lip singing show! I can say this resort would not allow you to take a plate of food back to your room if you weren’t feeling up to being in the buffet or such. We had to sneak a baggie in our purse to get a few cookies to munch on while sitting on the beach. The beach at this resort was rocky and I would rate it a 6. If you didn’t have water shoes – you were out of luck. I think next time I will spend the extra for a higher end resort since it is my vacation and I want the best of everything. I would not go back to this place or recommend it, too many other places in Mexico to go try out. But it was nice for a one time vacation. The walk to the Marina was beautiful and was all behind the gated community so we never felt threatened being out and about at night. The Dolphin Discovery place was there and was nice to go watch their performances. The guys chartered a boat and went deep sea fishing. It was about $450 for the 5 of them and they gave a good tip at the end. They came back into the marina with the most flags on their boat for different fish they caught. Everyone was waving and cheering for them. Loved the Captain Hook dinner cruise we signed up for in advance – would do that again! Snorkeling was nice through Cancun tours as was the speedboat/ATV adventure. Those people picked us up and returned us to our resort and took good care of us while off the resort. Tulum was down the road and easily gotten to if you take the “colectivo” which is the locals (bus) way to travel up and down the main roads. (you will know what I'm talking about once you see it) the roads are generously marked with signs for everything. Just make sure you have pesos with you. We also took a taxi up the road to the shopping mall and got our souvenirs all there for a very low price compared to what you are soaked for at the resorts. Was nice to get ice in your drink as the resort seemed to be so stingy with it. You always had to ask for a full glass of it. We are a group in our late 40-early 50s

Room Tip: choose a room on the higher floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have recently visited the Catalonia Riviera Maya. We stayed for a short 3 nights to gather information for my daughter’s upcoming wedding that is scheduled for November 2013. The resort is about an hour from the airport. We booked a private transfer with USA and therefore didn’t have to make several stops. The transfer service is great and we have used them many times for our visits. They are always there to greet us as we exit the airport!

The resort is very green and lush, pretty bushes and flowers everywhere. Upon check-in we requested an upgrade and had no problem receiving it for an additional minimal fee. We arrived at approximately 1:00 pm and were taken to our room and in the pool by 2:00 pm.

We upgraded to the Superior Privilege room and found everything in working order. We were advised that it included the safe, mini bar and alarm clock. However, we had no alarm clock (after 3 visits to the front desk we gave up, just used our watches). The room was located in building B and became a little loud when the entertainment was in lobby bar, but everything was quiet by 11:00pm. Housekeeping was below standard, we arrived on Tuesday, our room was cleaned on Wednesday but not Thursday and we checked out on Friday. The one day we did receive maid service it was very late in the afternoon.

The pools are beautiful and always clean. The staff at the pool bar was wonderful and very friendly, my daughters would like to give a shout out to Jose and Georgio from the Margarita Bar, and they agree you guys make the best Mojitos, Long Islands and Sex in the Pool!!!

The beach was very rocky!!! Please be careful entering the water, as the days we were there it was very rough and we couldn’t see the big boulder rocks and we received a few scraps!

The food was good, very Americanized but tasty! We enjoyed the Bella Vista (Italian), the Bamboleo (Grill/Steak House) and the La Brisa (Buffet). Wait staff were all very friendly and accommodating to your needs!

The wedding coordinator met with us the second day we were there and helped my daughter decide most of her wedding details (i.e. flowers, hairstyle, reception venue, menu). She also showed us many different room categories, which will help tremendously when recommending a choice for the invited guests.

The area is very safe! We had the opportunity to walk to the marina and view the dolphins and manatees. They also had lots a shopping but felt the prices were a bit higher then Playa Del Carmen.

Overall, I have visited this area of Mexico many times over the last 10 years and this resort is a great pick for the price!!! Remember tipping goes a long way!!! The staff work very hard to make your vacation one that you will remember! My family and expecially my daughter is very happy with her choice of resort for her upcoming wedding!!!

See you November!!!

Room Tip: No need to upgrade... the standard rooms are just as nice!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank travelenfool
Dear Travelenfool,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us and for such nice comments. It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in November, and for such a special occasion!!!

See you soon!!
Best Regards,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have just come back from a week's holiday at Catalonia Riviera Maya and we had fantastic time! We were quite apprehensive before going having read all the reviews here but as it turns out did not need to worry. We are a couple (30 & 29 yrs), we have done all inclusive before and we have quite high expectations (don't need luxury 5* but equally would not consider going on all inclusive hotel in anything beyond 4*....). We arrived at the hotel about 3pm and the check in desk were ready and waiting for us with welcoming drinks. We had booked a standard room and had decided beforehand that we will upgrade if the standard room is what people here had described. We decided to have a look at the standard room before committing to the upgrade and after having seen the room, thought there was no need for upgrade at all! The room was spacious with huge american sized double bed, terrace (we were on ground floor) with lovely wooden furniture, big bathroom/wet room with normal and rain showers, plasma screen tv, aircon etc. Everything was in good working order and meticulously clean and shiny. We did have to pay extra for the safety box ($3/day) but that did not really bother us and the mini bar was not included but again this was not a problem as the bars were just around the corner and you could fetch a drink from there in 2 minutes. A few people have mentioned the location of the rooms - I agree that there are some that are likely to be noisy as they face the areas where bars are located and where the entertainment takes place in the evenings but I think this is a problem in most resorts. We were very lucky that we had our room slightly tucked away so did not get disturbed by any kind of noise. So I would definitely recommend viewing the standard rooms before going ahead with the upgrade!! Also, we did notice that most of the privileged rooms were close to the pools and bars so likely to be noisy.

We were also very pleasantly surprised with the food. In previous all inclusive resorts I particularly have found the breakfasts and buffets a bit boring and have not really bothered with them but it was completly different here. At breakfast you could have anything from custom made eggs, omelettes and crepes to fruit, porridge, cakes etc. The buffet lunch and dinners had a lot variety and we found all the food fresh, warm and very tasty! Make sure you don't miss out on the mexican themed night - the best fajitas we have ever had made them freshly for you on a hot plate. We also ate at the mexican, italian, spanish and japanese a la carte restaurants and again cannot fault the food. The food was definitely a la carte restaurant quality with excellent service. They would automatically bring you another beer or top up your wine glass before you had even completely finished your previous one - if only London restaurants were that attentive!!! Our favourites were the spanish and japanese, absolutely gorgeous food and the japanese was great entertainment too as they cook the food in front of you on a hot plate. At the spanish restaurant we sat on the roof top balcony overlooking the beach and sea. We did not experience any trouble in getting into the restaurants either but it could be that we tended to have dinner around 7pm so were usually among the first ones there but even later on you only had to wait for a little bit for a table but it never seemed to be too long and they always served you drinks whilst waiting. The drinks across the resort were great - as someone said, extensive cocktail list but they make you anything you want. They also have water machines located at the bars so that you can top up your water bottles as and when you want.

The grounds are very well maintained and no matter what the time, you could always see someone working on them. Very very clean pool areas and the beach is continuosly maintained. There are rocks in the sea but that is just the location and cannot really blame the hotel for it. It seemed to make excellent place for snorkelling though based on the amount of people doing it!There is plenty of entertainment to go around but equally they leave you in peace if you do not want to get involved which I think is great as in some places we have found that they disturb to the extent of being annoying! Also, as there are multiple pool and beach areas, you can always find a quiet spot if you don't want to be in the middle of the action.

So all in all absolutely fantastic holiday and a great resort with great food - don't be put off by the negative comments and if there is something that is not quite right, tell the staff and they will help you. We asked for a late check out and they arranged it for us without any fuss and without any extra charges.

Thanks Catalonia Riviera Maya!

5 Thank Anna K
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Anna K,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us and for such nice comments.
We are pleased that you enjoyed the mexican culture, and of course the mexican food!!
Sincerely
Catalonia Playa Maroma
Catalonia Playa Maroma
#4 of 5 in Playa Maroma
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,761 reviews

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!