“Mike & Sue - England”

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is a nice Hotel, but 4Star er! No!

The Staff are very friendly and the grounds beautiful, The food is ok and lots to drink.
But now to the sore point, Please take note, this is NOT a RIU class type hotel. On arrival I expected the same type of facilities, I was very wrong.

You will be placed into a Standard room, which has, No Mini-bar, No Optics, No free Safe, and no bath ect. To obtain these you will need to upgrade to Privilaged Class, at $400USD (£250)

Before you book this Hotel/resort, TALK to your Travel Agency, Make Sure you now exactly what your paying for.

Apart from that, we Have a great time.

6  Thank Mike B
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Listen, you get what you pay for so why rate it any lower then that? If you looking for a cheap vacation with nice scenery then this is the hotel for you. Let me first address the good things about this resort before I get into the bad. The scenery is beautiful, its clean, staff was friendly and prices were decent.

What was okay was the food, it wasn't the authentic Mexican food I was looking for and the buffet was ok nothing special. The hotel room was basic, hard beds and a tube tv. For the most part it was always clean and every day I came back to my room I was surprised with a towel animal which i thought was cool.

The annoying part was the fact the pool closes at 7. I mean for me that was a little disappointing considering the fact that I wanted to enjoy some time in the evening swimming and relaxing. The beach was very rocky, so its important to buy water shoes if you are looking to go here. Also, if you are looking for "sea weed" free beach water then this is not the resort for you.

I had a few encounters with rude staff in which I hung up on them twice, additionally I had a bad experience with the people they have selling excursions that harassed me and actually followed me down stairs to ask me why i booked with someone else and that i should " pray " that nothing happens to me while I enjoy my excursion. I know that has nothing to do with the resort it self, its lomas travel. However my advice to any of you traveling to this resort, is to book your hotel transfers up front and stay away from lomas travel.

There is not much I can say about this resort. i was very excited to come here and when I did, i left with a bad taste in my mouth from the mistreatment of staff there.

Every where I went they said if you enjoyed your stay or excursion rate it on trip advisor. If you hated it , keep your mouth shut. I didnt hate my stay, nor did I enjoy my stay either.

4  Thank Jacqueline N
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed from Sept. 16th thru Sept 22nd . We stayed on the Riviera Maya side of the resort. First off I wanna say that I have read many reviews and some things I agree with and most I do not. The front desk people during check in were very friendly and we upgraded from a standard room to a privileged suite upon our arrival. Take it from me it is well worth the extra to be comfortable. We had others in our group that did not upgrade and found life the first day of vacation to be less than accommodating.. Day one after we got settled into our room we headed straight for the buffet after traveling for a few hours we needed some food! Unfortunately we got to the buffet and there was only 30 mins left until it was closed down to prepare for dinner service. There is a different theme there each day on the buffet but there is always your standards that will always be available. We ate what we could and immediately grabbed a couple cervezas and headed straight to the beach and into the water. The water was calm and relaxing. almost too warm. But hey we were there in the hottest part of summer for them there. The beach was a little rocky in parts. Water shoes a must . but there were areas around the lagoon that were easier to get in and out of. Most of our days were spent with our large group of friends around the pool bars . The drinks are average too above. Not always top shelf alcohol but alls you have to do is ask for more tequila! you will get it! The bars only have Corona and Modelo Negro on tap. Which is fine by me except that in that climate down there unless your slamming beers all day long they will get hot fast. The wife and I chose to drink more frozen cocktails than anything else. Drinks kept much cooler and were easier to drink . One night at the beach side Chill Out bar we had the luck of seeing a huge Loggerhead sea turtle come ashore and start digging to lay eggs not more than 10 feet away from us. Once in a lifetime there!! So glad we got to see it. Also the staff of the resort came out to keep everyone back and stop anyone from using flash photography. Very cool that they take the interest to do such things for their surroundings and marine life.And this was at 11 o clock at night!! Kudos to the staff!
Our stay was very enjoyable and we plan on returning some day soon. I have read many reviews about theft in peoples rooms. Only thing I can say is be aware of your surroundings. We had one day where we left for a few hours and came back to our room to find our room had been cleaned and straightened. I went to open the safe and realized I had left it open before we left. Too my surprise everything was there even all my money!!! May have dodged a bullet there but the housekeepers were all very nice and would do just about anything to help you. The one common fact that keeps coming up in the rooms with theft as far as suites go is that they all seem to be on the ground floor and the sliding glass door is always the reason for the issue. I stayed in room 8210 in building 10.... which was on the 2nd floor... our room was awesome!!! out door tub , mini bar, a/c kicked serious butt! So much so that my last day there I got very congested with all of the comings and goings between cold room and muggy outside!!!!
Our refrigerator stopped working on our 2nd day there. They were up and put a new one in within an hour or so.
My wife is allergic to feather pillows and they brought us new cotton pillows within 20 mins after my call!
I left a tip in the fridge area one day and asked for more beer and water!
The next day when I returned my wish came true! Mas Cerveza and mas Agua :)
The hotel grounds are beautiful, very well maintained...
We only ate at 2 specialty restaurants.. The Japanese Steak House 2 times and the steak house once!
Our chef Jose at the Japanese steak house was totally awesome! Knew how to work a crowd!!
We had such a good time that some of our group decided to have a contest as to who would sniff wasabi up their nose!! NO winners there!! They both did it though!
We did receive 4 specialty coupons for restaurants for a 6 night stay but I did come under the weather on our last 2 nights there so we just gave the others away to other guests.
We did tip almost every service person we came in contact with. Not every time mind you . But a lil bit goes a long ways down there... It all helps!
This was 9 out of 11 of our groups first all inclusive resort stay!! We all think it was great but have nothing else to compare it too...
Too sum this up all of us had a great time and if we can get back to the Catalonia in the future it wont be soon enough!!
Thanks again to all of the people at the CAT!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite. It is well worth it! On the 2nd floor if possible!!
2  Thank Chris S

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

This was first trip to Mexico and we really enjoyed ourselves. When we arrived we were offered the chance to upgrade so we had a look at the room and we decided to take the upgrade, we got the best room in the complex with our own Jacuzzi overlooking the pool area. If we had of gone for a standard we may have had a different view on the hotel as we spoke to a few couples that were not happy with their rooms, but upgrading made our holiday. If anybody is looking for an upgrade ask for room 8031, it costs $50 per night. This also bumped us up to being privileged class which had a few added extras i.e. Safe/Fridge/Flat screen/Massive bed in room and certain privileges in the resort. I read that some people had valuables taken from their rooms, we had a different experience. Twice by our own error we left cash and jewellery lieing around and on both occasions it was left on the locker with a note to advise us to lock it into a safe. The food and drink in the hotel was great with loads and loads of choice, its not fine dining but it doesn’t claim to be. The service was excellent and everyone had a smile on their face. The hotel/grounds rooms are spotless. The grounds are manicured with great enthusiasm. The pools and beach are very nice. So that’s all the good stuff, obviously it's not all perfect. The few grievances that i had were the fact that you are essentially in a compound. We stayed for two weeks and found that there was not enough to do and you couldn’t really leave the compound because its just a motorway outside. Unless you have a day out organised out it can get a bit boring. I think a week/10 days would have been plenty. The entertainment at the hotel is very average and the daily activities at the pool are very loud and annoying. If you want to relax and not get dragged into the pool every 5 min don’t lie beside the main pool. All in all it was a beautiful hotel with great staff and I would have no hesitation recommending it.

Room Tip: Rooms in the privileged section are the best & you will get a pool view. Prepare to spend $40-$5...
7  Thank Kosmo98

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Ok - this will be a lengthy review, but I think it is important for ANYONE planning to stay at this hotel to read, as it not only affect me and my bf but also another coulple traveling with us as well as SEVERAL other guests that we spoke with as the week unfolded!

First - the good points - the resort is beautiful and gorgeous location - as it is near the beach, plenty of pools, walkways, etc. The staff - especially the activities staff - are wonderful and probably should be working at a better hotel - as they are Club Med worthy, but the hotel itself has serious security issues.

The buffets were mediocre at best and if you get the made to order omlettes, be sure to watch as they sometimes do not cook them long enoug and the inside egg is still raw and no one wants to eat raw eggs while in Mexico, if you can avoid it.

The waiter/beverage staff at the pools is inconsistent. For the first few days we had excellent service, where drinks were constantly brought to us from the grill bar/restaurant near the volley ball pool. However, later on in the week, we had to nearly beg for service and even had one staffer tell us to get out of the pool and go to the bar - not what you expect to hear, especially when we all upgraded to Privledge and part of that is suppose to be top-notch service.

On our first night, we did experience a "flood" in our room from the shower. While we were in the shower at 1am the first night - we noticed the drain was not working and the water level got higher than we thought at the time. Once we opened the door - and the shower doors in the Privledged suites are great and actually seal the shower from the bathroom - the water flooded out and when we tried to close the door, it acted like a squeegee and pushed more water into the bathroom. At that point, we waited but the drain was not allowing water to exit the shower, so we stepped out and grabbed towels to put on the floor, but to our amazement, the water went everywhere - into the bedroom - into the living room (this was a 3-room suite, if you could the bathroom as a room). Everything was wet - luggage, shoes, towels, bed spread/blankets, etc.

We contacted the front desk who sent a person with a flashlight and did NOT speak any English - well, to make it shorter, 1.5 hour later, we finally got through to the housekeeping that the room flooded and instead of getting us into our room quickly, they proceeded to squeegee out the room for nearly an hour - and actually forcing the water from our room into the main hall which ended up going under the door to the room next to us - what a mess.

However, the next day I did speak to the front desk and General Manager - requesting some type of compensation - not specifically because of the flood - but due to their response and taking nearly 45 mintues to find someone that could speak English and explain the problem with the drain. My partner actually found a security guy and they laughed about the issue and the security guard even told us that sometime he pretends not to speak English - not a well received "joke" at 2:30am after a long day of traveling to Mexico. We went on an all day excursion and were promised the drain would be fixed during the day by the time of our return.... FAIL. The next morning, the same thing, but we noticed in time that the water flowing into the bathroom was able to be maintained by using all of the towels in the room. They did finally get it fixed that afternoon and all was well with the drainage by that evening.

They did compensate us with a "private" dinner for our anniversary - with complimentary champange and a surf and turf dinner - which was very nice, as we were celebrating our 9th year together.

Now for the WORSE part and travels BE WARE!! On the 3rd day our friends room was left open and during their nap (see their review below - CJ C) someone came into the room and stole their digital camera. My partner and I entered our room shortly after they did and we noticed that the sliding door to our bedroom area was left fully open with the screen door and curtains open for full access to the room. We NEVER opened or used this door, as we always utilized the sliding door in the living room - where there was a small table and chairs on the patio. The bedroom door had 2 chaise lounges and the "private" bath so was not as convenient to use and was unnecessary since the other slider was more than adequate. Therefore we knew that the cleaning guy had to leave it open - either on purpose or by accident.

As we learned that our friends had the same experiece and their camera was stolen, we determined this seem like a scam that was going on. A few days later, we discovered our neighbor (who had the water show up in his room from the squeegeeing of our room) had his door left open too and had missing money and a cell phone charger.

I contacted the front desk again and spoke with management (who I became quite familiar with from our flooding issue) and explained that their was something going on, for it was completely unreasonable for three rooms on the same side of the property - two in one building and one in the adjacent building - having their sliding doors unlocked and fully open to allow access from anyone - especially with the suites being next to the private home/condos on the street behind the resort and nothing separating them from us except for the 3-4 foot concrete wall - which even I could climb without issue!

At first I am not sure they believed us - but I am rather relentless and demanded they increase security and track who is accessing the rooms. It just so happened that the Concierge came to our room with security, because the lock on the sliding door in the living fell out of the wall and would not close. The guy cleaning the room was there and continued as requested. While the Concierge and i were outside in the common lobby of that building, the cleaning motioned that he was done and doubled checked that the door to the room was locked. I had her explain to him earlier that the slider to the bedroom had been left wide open - he stated he didn't leave any doors open/unlocked - but would be more diligent.

About that time, the maintenance guy and the security guy showed up to fix the door - as the Concierge and I walked in - to both our amazements - the slider door to the bedroom was standing wide open - even thoug the cleaning guy said we would be sure they were all locked!

She contacted him - we showed him what had happened and I explained to her that if ANYTHING was stolen from our room I would hold them personally liable, for we caught the situation live before anything could happen.

From that point on, all doors were locked and security patrolled the area behind the suites to ensure no tresspassing. As we sat talking to people at the volley ball pool, we discovered that several had things stolen from their rooms - cigarettes, money, clothing - and others had stuff taken from their chairs at poolside - which is just totally unacceptable.

No one wants to spend a thousand dollars for a vacation, just to have things stolen. While we were banded to demonstrate we were guests at the property, the security detail is lacking. I have stayed at several Club Meds and they patrol the beach ensuring that only guests have access to the property, but I have never had cleaning staff steal stuff like a lot of the guests indicated all week long.

I think there is a serious breach in security and Hoteles Catalonia - a world wide hotel chain - needs to get involved and get this place under control. It is an absolutely beautiful resort, but we woud NEVER return due to the security issues and several of the staff "laughing" and taking things too lightly, considering the money spent at the resort. We even "tipped" our cleaing guy extra, even though the resort is all inclusive and states that tips are already part of the costs paid to stay at the resort.

The last thing you might want to consider is that the pools close by 8pm - due to some absurd idea that they have to clean them for 12+ hours ever day! This is a family location and even though there are 5 pools on the property, you can enjoy them after dinner as warning signs and staff will keep you from them. I did speak to them about keeping one open till 10 or 11pm for adults - especially one of two which have swim up bars. We did have a dozen or so other guests complain about the same thing, for their website does not indicate anything about the pools closing so early. Also, as a note, the "beach/ocean" is also closed at 8pm.

They did tell us, after the fact, that the Catalonia Royal Tulum - a few miles down the road - is an adult only facitliy and the pools stay open there till 10/11pm. Seems strange to me, as when I stayed at the Club Meds - we could swim anytime day or night - not sure how they "cleaned" the pools but still allowed access.

Room Tip: The suites are excellent - the "standard" rooms are crap. Be sure to LOCK anything up tha...
4  Thank Doug S
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Love this place going back for the third time this year a friendly hotel with a family feeling great for everyone ideal location beach front as well as attractions within walking distance safe environment, good food and entertainment day and night

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank jembleton
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

Reviewed September 21, 2012

After the usual over analyzing of all of the options for an All Inclusive in this area for a 4 night trip we narrowed down our choices and then picked by price. This place fit the bill quite well. It's about an hour from the airport, just South of Playa de Carma. We picked their Standard garden room and it was just as advertised although we were pleasantly surprised when our balcony overlooked both the pool and side view of the ocean. The room was clean, comfy, quiet and the a/c was cold. Allow me to point out that we use the room to sleep, shower, and change clothes in. We don't expect it to be like home. The bed was comfy although we had 2 full size instead of a queen, some would grumble about that but the wife and I still like each other. The second bed held luggage and gave Housekeeping a place to excersise her daily towel sculpting skills. There was a TV in the room, didn't try it. Water pressure and temp in the shower was perfect. Swimming pools plentiful w/adequate swim up bars and room to swim and sunbath. Beach was diffrent than anywhere else we've been, I'll break it down by 3rds: Left-shallow beach, good sand in water, lively fish. Center-sand and grass umbrellas above a narrow boardwalk with ocean view but no access. Right-deep beach w/ grass umbrellas and sand and stones just inside the waterline that quickly dropped to swim depth. Water shoes made this the best spot for us. The advertised Hobie Cats were not available to take out yourself only with their crew. That upset me. Food was plentiful in quanity w/average quality but it did vary from day to day and could always find something tasty. The pool side lunch option worked well for us because "no shoes no shirt no problem" had nachos, salads, wings, burgers..., The bar staff everywhere were pleasant and eager to accomidate with whatever you had in mind to drink. As typical of A.I.'s the 8-10 oz. drink glasses don't last very long.. Americans were the minority while we were here which probably made it more enjoyable as we quickly became friends with several British couples and laughed our way through failed communications with Germans and Russians. It's great how water, sunshine, and a little alcohol can be the universal bond that can get a diverse group laughing toegether in another foreign land. We were pleased with the choice of this place.
We will recommend that if you're staying for more than a couple of days check out the marina area just a short walk or bike ride away. Dolphins, shops, and safe secure enviroment. Which by the way this whole area is behind a guarded gate so feel free grab a loaner bike and get outside the hotel and explore.
Our only complaint, and it had nothing to do with this resort, is that our air travel here was a nightmare. We flew on American Airlines and 3 out of 4 of the legs of the trip were delayed and two of those involved swapping planes. We spent an extra 12 (Daylight) hours stuck in Dallas airport because these greedy, selfish, Pilots Union bistards were having their annual hissy fit for more money. Therefore I have another recommendation STAY AWAY FROM AMERICAN AIRLINES! These American Airline Pilots choose to use passengers as pawns in their selfish pursuits and deserve to be unemployed or drive cabs to the airports not flying out of them. And if you happen to know a pilot for them, please firmly place a swift kick to their gentile region. Thanks and enjoy Catalonia!

Room Tip: Our Standard Garden room was better than expected.
6  Thank sweetnuthinness

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!