We always go back to Mexico every year. Either just my husband and I or as a family with my daughter (23 yrs) and his dauhter (11 yrs), it's reasonably priced, the weather always seems to be great and we are never disappointed with our resort. We chose the Catalonia Riviera Maya Beach & Spa Resort A/I this time, one of the better priced A/I we found. The resort was clean, the entertainment staff was amazing! Pita, Freddie, Victor and "Pedro, the tequila man" were all so funny and friendly, we had a great time with them.
We spent our days at the pool, the beach is not great, very rough and very rocky. The snorkeling in the lagoon was a lot of fun, lots of fish to see.
We always go to A/I resorts so we know what to expect from the food. This resort was no exception. The food was ok. Fresh fruit, salad bar, pasta bar, nice sandwich bar that you could grill with meats and cheeses and other typical buffet foods. I wouldn't say the food was terrible, I'm somewhat of a picky eater but managed to find plenty to eat every day. I would also say I've had some resorts that have had better food but it wasn't horrible and it wasn't great. They don't take reservations for the restaurants, you get a ticket and hope you get in. We went to the steak grill, that was very good, we all enjoyed our meal that night. We also went to the Italian place, I wasn't that crazy about it. The steak grill was much better.
The room safe is not included with the room, it's an extra $30.00 fee.
I do have two complaints. I take medication everyday early in the morning (3 am) on an empty stomach. There is no mini fridge. They give you 1 bottle of water sitting on the bathroom counter with a sign attached saying that this is your only bottle of water and if you want more you can purchase it in their store. This was an inconvenience. A few days later after seeing people walking around with water bottles and asking where they got them, they said they saved their bottle and they just refill it at the bar. So, we did the same after buying a bottle of water while shopping in Playa Del Carmen.
My only other complaint, which is really minor, is that at their shops and little convenience store they only accept pecos, credit card or they can bill your room. This is a first for us, any other time we've been at any resort they always accept U.S. dollars, you may get pecos back but atleast they take U.S. money. Not a big deal just an inconvenience.
We wouldn't recommend this resort to our friends and we probably wouldn't go back to this resort just because we've been to others that are much better but we're not disappointed with our choice.
We had a wonderful family vacation, great weather, and the resort was nice enough.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Caribbean Sea's turquoise waters can be seen from this hotel-paradise. Come and get ready to spend some unforgettable days in the heart of the Mayan Riviera, surrounded by marvelous landscapes and seductive, white sand beaches. The hotel is located in the wonderful Puerto Aventuras development. This is a tourist development which boasts a marina for yachts, a golf course, restaurants and dolphin tanks, all within easy reach of the main Mayan Riviera attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Despegar.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Travelocity and Booking.com so you can book your Catalonia Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
- Catalonia Hotel Mexico
- Catalonia Rivera Maya
- Riviera Maya Catalonia
- Hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Riveria Maya
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort
- Catalonia Riviera Maya All Inclusive
- Catalonia Mexico