“Great Vacation; The best bang for your money” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Miami, Florida
“Great Vacation; The best bang for your money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

My wife and I went 14-24 July 2011. From the beginning the personnel were very friendly and made us feel at home. We reserved a "privilege suite" which is a little bit more expensive than the standard room but well worth it. You get a safe, refrigerator with mini bar, internet, additional coupons for the specialty restaurants and a free visit to the spa. Also the rooms are newer, bigger and include a flat screen . Also our room had a view to the pool and the ocean (Bldg 7). The main restaurant has a decent food variety but you also have to be willing to try different kinds of food. Personnel have basic English skills. The hotel has a in pool bar and a informal restaurant were you can eat in your bathing suit. The entertainment staff are outstanding and during the day have different activities to keep people entertained to include contests, aerobics, karaoke, pingpong, archery etc. The beach is rocky at the entrance but enjoyable with plenty of lounge chairs, umbrellas and palm trees. You can also enjoy the free beach activities like snorkeling (1 hour), sailing (20 minutes) and canoeing. There is also a small ocean lake were you can see plenty of fish.
The specialty restaurants are excellent except the Italian which was very slow in getting our food. The best restaurant is the Mikado Japanese restaurant, the Mexican, Spanish and the Steakhouse were also good. Make sure you make your reservations at first opportunity since space is limited. The Creperia is excellent for crepes, milkshakes and dessert ( no reservation needed). Take dollar bills to tips personnel sporadically. Transportation is $25 per person in a van (Best Day) and the hotel is 50 miles from the airport or about an hour.
The closest town is Playa del Carmen that has a beautiful beach and cost $22 for a taxi from the hotel. However in 5th Ave where the tourist shops are, the prices are expensive.
There are various excursion agents in the hotel so shop around for the best price.
Visit Chichen Itza Mayan piramids about 3 hours awa. It cost about $90 per person in a tour bus with a guide. Also recommend the pyramids and beach in Tulum and XSCARET park. Take plenty of suntan lotion and mosquito repellent since it is expensive in the hotel. The prices in the gift shops are reasonable. Within walking distance from the hotel you can go to the Dolphin park and swim with them for about $90. Also there some shops and restaurants and a pharmacy. The street and hotel exchange rate is 10 pesos to a dollar. The night shows are excellent but be early to get a good seat; they start at 9:30 PM. There is also a sports bar and the disco starts at 1100 PM were you will get a chance to dance with some of the members of the entailment staff who are very friendly...specially Moises, Pita, Ana and Aniska. Overall be prepared to have a great time, no worries, and enjoy yourselves!
I forgot to mention that the Wi-Fi is erratic and unreliable but works. Hopefully it will be fixed
When you get there.

3 Thank avellaneh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Arden, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

We've stayed at AIs in Mexico, Aruba and Jamaica, and our experience here was very nice. As in the past before travelling, I spent some time trolling the TA PA forum to determine if this resort would meet our criteria for a good family vacation. Our requirements are decent internet access (preferably free), good quality food, decent drinks, a town area to walk to when we get tired of the resort and something that entertains our children (6 and 9) when the pool or beach gets old. We found all of that and then some here. Our previous Mexican trip was to Marina El Cid in Puerto Morelos last year, and this resort compares pretty spot on to that resort with a few small differences, some negative and some positive. Hopefully based on what I've written, you'll find what you want to know about this resort so you can see if it will meet or exceed what you expect in an AI. We stayed from 7/16 to 7/23. I'm 43, wife is 33, and we have two boys, 6 and 9.

Getting there: Used USA Transfers for the 3rd time. LOVE this company! Clean vehicles, friendly drivers, ALWAYS on time - they'll make a quick pit stop for food, booze, etc if you ask and know where to stop. About a hour's drive from Cancun Intl.

Check in: Painless - met us with fruit drinks - super friendly and informative desk staff! No timeshare crap here - zero! Nice. Bell boys whisked our luggage to the room. Did not ask for a credit card at the desk - a first.

Room: We booked a priviledged suite on the RM side, wanting some separation from the kids at night. I had asked for the first building nearest the ocean (Bldg 9, but numbered 8101, etc) and received room 8104 on the end facing the lagoon, ground floor. The room was very clean and nicely decorated, and our maid always had a nice turndown service at night along with towel animals that amused the kids. Towels were always plentiful as were toiletries and extra pillows. We didn't use the pillow menu, but there were lots of nice choices for picky sleepers. These rooms on the ground floor have a lovely double patio with a jacuzzi (in ground bathtub, really, but huge!) and a garden area that extends out to the resort walls. The flowers and foliage were lovely, and it provided a great spot in the afternoons to dry out beach clothing. Somewhat hard bed (to our liking) and the pull out bed for the kids was atrocious. If you're taking older kids, consider asking for a topper and just laying it and the thin mattress on the floor, because that sofa bed is very rickety and wavier than the ocean! My kids didn't care, but they will in several years, I think. Rooms include the normal electronic safe (worked well) and regular outlets for 110VAC, however I ended up finding only one US type grounded outlet for my laptop in the bathroom, which worked fine for charging, but had zero internet access due to where it was located in the shelving. We had a little 4 cup coffee maker that was replenished daily, along with a "dorm" fridge that held about 6 sodas and two cans of Sol. Internet seemed to worked ok in the room and better on the patio. There are lots of antennas on the resort - I suspect that the server itself is just slow, but I always was able to make a connection with some patience,and it was FREE, unlike any other resort we have travelled to. Our sinks had great hot water - the shower not so for the first three days, and then magically starting working. A/C is ok - the maids will turn it up to save power, so if you like returning to a cold room, stop by occasionally to adjust it yourself. Patio doors are double draped, so you can pull the nighttime shades to kill all light, or just the lighter one to let in the morning sun gradually.
The only comments I can make about other rooms at the resort are based solely on what I saw when walking by as maids were cleaning. The regular rooms on the Yucatan side are small, but clean. The rooms on the RM side seemed about the same size, clean as well, just not as updated as the suites are. If it was the wife and me, the Yucatan side would suit just fine. The 16 rooms on the south end of the Yucatan side that face the ocean and Pure Chill Bar looked nice from the standpoint of view, although I think I would want 3rd or 4th floor just so I didn't have people looking in from the bar. Convenient, though!

Food: Only La Brisa open air buffet open for our first four days - resort maybe only 40% full then? They opened El Mercado (which is air conditioned when they feel like it as the huge windows do open) on our fifth day. We preferred Mercado as it seemed a little smaller and more intimate, but Hilda's service in the evenings at La Brisa were wonderful! The occasional grackle flying around La Brisa seemd unnerving to some, but delighted my youngest son. Many choices, and the buffets were VERY clean and well managed. This is important, and I noticed a lot of portions offered were offered in smaller batches for better freshness, which I give an A+ for, and their cold plate system for keeping cold things cold worked very well. There is plenty for any taste, I think. Breakfast juices were fresh squeezed and very good. Noticed La Brisa has a Vodka bottle in the mornings for you hair-of-the-dog lovers! Made to order omelets easy to get before 8am - busier as the morning progresses. Lunches were excellent when we ate them. We found using the Bamboleo Snack Bar convenient for burgers, killer make-it-yourself natchos, and popcorn, which was a HUGE hit with the youngest.

The alacarte reservation system has its flaws, but they all do. While we were there, the weekly "newsletter" stated what alacartes were open on what days, but I found the following morning that this is subject to change, so if there are particular alacartes you want to try, it is best to plan your week out and book EARLY. As it stands, they currently set up around 8am at the Pure Bar to take reservations, and there is usually a line. Go early and take a good book. The bar might be open depending on the mood of the bartender. (Bartender in the evenings not very friendly)

Everyone wants to know about the alacartes, so here is my opinion (and only that):
La Terrace (Tapas Bar): Best food hands down. Small portions, but excellently prepared. It's amazing what they prepare out of a kitchen smaller than mine at home! I thought we'd be hungry afterwards, but no, quite satisfying!

Bellavista - Italian: couldn't get reservations. Looked nice from the outside looking in.

Alibrijes - Mexican: Good food, creatively prepared. Excellent gaucamole!

La Creperie: Great crepes! The savory crepes are even better than the sweet ones, if you're in the mood for a wee appetizer before dinner! Kids loved the milkshakes.

Bamboleo - Steakhouse: I enjoyed the food - steaks were great, tender, well seasoned and prepared correctly. As it sits adjacent to a pool on the RM side, you might be subjected to sights earlier in the evening you might not want to see while eating (think old man in a Speedo with an itch). Yeah, even good Johnny Cash music playing couldn't best THAT.

Mikado - Japanese: Good food. Wife and kids loved it. It was what I expected, however I will say that the expertise of the particular chef we had was far superior to what I've seen in the States or Okinawa. He was really into it! Tipped him 20$ for his effort and he was floored.
Bamboleo Snack bar comes in handy for hunger during the day or late at night from 11pm until 2am. Used it multiple times. Have to ask the Capitan for plastic plates if you are carrying food out. Highly recommend the ceviche! Always on the cold bar, and always good. Great nacho chips.

Bars/Drinks: (Again, only my experiences) We hung out on the Yucatan side, and the Tequila Bar (just a name, has nothing to do with what they offer) which is adjacent to that pool and the shelter by the Mercado buffet was perfect for us. Fransisco and Manuel provided stellar bar service, and yes, I tipped heavily, but never saw anyone else tip but many other happy customers. We took our own Tervis tumblers, and I'm glad we did. Ice melts too quickly in the heat! The bar usually had Cap'n Morgans when I asked for it. When out, they would run to the Pure bar. Not many high end choices, but good nonetheless. I must admit I do NOT like Pepsi products, and it seemed flat, so I found the other fruity drinks like the Mango Margaritas a good replacement for my normal rum and diet coke. They treated the kids like royalty - even cut fresh coconuts several days from the local palms and made face drinks for the kids and wife! Bar service at the Bamboleo later at night was good when I used it. (Very convenient to our room) The bar at the RM lobby near the theatre had what I thought to be a fairly surly bartender, but the theatre bar was good. We used the sports bar once - nice fellow, just loud and echoey there. Water and lemonade were always available as a self-serve item.

Marina: Wife's bucket list included the Dolphin deal, so I booked it online before we left (good savings!). Good experience. I bar hopped with the kiddos in tow while she swam. People are very friendly, not pushy at all. Good food at Tirami-su! Gringos has good cold beer. Nice to walk around in the early morning. Felt VERY safe here. Made multiple trips to the Liquor and Fantasy store for wife's cigarettes at 44 pesos a pack. 95 pesos at the resort! OUCH! Some good souvenir deals, but to be fair, the resort offered nice hand-painted options at a fair price too. Marina is a 5-10 minute walk. Lots to see and enjoy. I liked the guy always asking us if we wanted to "scuva"! Reminded us of the Along Came Polly movie!

Beach: Somewhat rocky. Water shoes a must, good snorkeling in the lagoon around the walkway rocks. Lots of fish to feed. Some shelling early near the Dreams Resort next door just past the Pure Chill Bar. Didn't do any major snorkeling or diving (a first for me) but the kids liked it. Water is very shallow - not much risk to kids that can swim.

Pools: Staff does fun stuff on the RM side all day. Way too loud for us so we spent 100% of our time on the Yucatan side with Brits, Europeans and Mexicans. Loved it! Nice people, quiet and very laid back atmosphere. You want noise, just venture to the other side. It's a nice offering to have a choice! Pools are very clean, but not open at night. Towel games on the RM side, lots of places available anytime on the Yucatan side.

Miscellaneous Thoughts: Hate Pepsi? Get cokes in town to use while you're there. Cancun Airport always VERY expensive for food when you are leaving. Be prepared! Souvenirs in airport reasonably priced, however. There is a Cambio for money exchange on property. It's convenient, but they offer 10:1US. Better out in town by the Marina at 11.6:1. This only matters if you plan to use pesos. I took a lot of small bills to tip, and they were readily accepted, but the resort shops will NOT take dollars. The sellers that set up within the resort will tell you what they will offer exchange wise. Found better deals in town with the exception of painted pottery. Animation staff is impressive. We loved some of the theatre productions we watched! Lion King was great! (You'll read a review below from another couple who's 10 month old baby was in that. We thought that was SO cool!) Wandered over to the Dreams resort next door. Nice restaurants, but a very "close" resort from the standpoint of space. Wouldn't have liked it, so glad we didn't book there instead. They do have reasonably priced kids swim goggles in their store though.

If you have other questions about this resort, please feel free to contact us! Would we return? Yes.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
13 Thank Keith M
Westminster, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed at the CAT from July 8 - July 17. This was our third consecutive year- we go during our Anniversary and we had a very good time. We had booked an oceanfront, were upgraded to a suite, given a basket of fruit and had a banner on our door. We were treated like royalty. Enough can't be said about the staff - everyone - the waiters (Lazaro, Esther at the buffet), the bartenders especially Manuel, the maids, the front desk and the Activities Team that entertain you during the day and at the shows at night (Moses, Danny and the rest of the team) work very, very hard. The staff does everything possible to make your stay at the CAT as wonderful as possible.

Some people have complained the drinks were weak -- I'm not much of a drinker so the ones I had were good especially the Mudslides -- no complaints.

The Shows at night were good. Lupo and Sylvia only play 3 nights a week now and are just as good. Just wish they were there more nights.

We were there 10 days and had no problem making reservations for the a la cartes. We ate at the restaurants we wanted, on the days and time we wanted.

Taking into consideration the economy is not good the resort was probably at 50% capacity. That being said, there have been some changes made that we don't think are for the best.

Some already know that the free bus to Playa del Carmen has been discontinued. I think this service was stopped in the Fall. This was a very nice service and is missed. We didn't feel comfortabe taking the local bus so we took a cab which cost us $46.00 roundtrip. Probably would cause some people not to go to Playa del Carmen or maybe stay closer next time. I would imagine people would be willing to pay a fee if the bus to Playa del Carmen was reinstated. It would probably be less than a cab and more convenient.

The La Creperie which is one of our favorite places used to be closed on Thursday and is now closed on Wednesday and Sunday. The milk shakes are fabulous and Terasita is vey nice.

Only one buffet is open (Las Brisas) - not air-conditioned and you have to fight the birds from taking your food.

All of the a la cartes are closed on Wednesday so your only choice is one buffet. Other nights during the week the a la cartes take turns being closed, maybe the Italian is closed Monday and the Mexican is closed another night, etc. While we always found something to eat, the food didn't seem to be as good to us as other years.

We never had a problem getting a chair under an umbrella or a palapya or waiting in line for a table.

We walked to the marina a couple of times and everything was the same there except Gringo Dave's is now Gringo's Cantina. Both times we were there there was hardly anyone there.

As stated, we have liked the CAT better in years past, but we still had a very good time and the staff is still just as wonderful.

Room Tip: The Suites are are favorite -- roomy, quiet, good location and very, very nice.
1 Thank NancyWestminster
cataloniarivieramaya, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Dear valued guest,

I would like to thank you for your time at writing your comments which are paramount of importance as they help us to improve on our opportunity areas.

We all feel so proud to count on your loyalty and hope we can have the pleausure of receiving you again soon.

Hotel Manager.
Valladolid, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

I gave this title so that you are aware that I have been to a handful of all-inclusives in Cancun and the Mayan Riviera... so I have a fair standard on what to expect.

This 4-star resort is nice. Check-in was quick and painful. We were welcomed with a pretty drink and a smile. No bad surprises, which made for a nice start. We knowingly checked in early (10 am), but we were able to start taking full advantage of the food, drinks, and facilities while waiting for our room to become available at 3pm.

Our room had minimal (but nice) decor with a comfy (firm) bed and nice pillows. The bathroom was clean and the linens were crisp. No problems in the room. *And to the people that have complained about seeing a roach in their hotel room: a cockroach in the Yucatan is like a house spider in the U.S. It is NOT a sign of uncleanliness! (But just for the record, no roaches for the 3 days we were at the resort.)

The entertainment staff at Catalonia Riviera Maya is wonderful! This group is the best I have seen... and they keep both the kids AND adults entertained, making this hotel a great place for both families and friends.

The food is OK... edible... not BAD... just OK. Breakfast is the best meal at the buffet.
It was a bummer that I was never able to try one of their A la carte restaurants-- I heard the Japanese restaurant was excellent. Due to lack of staff they could only open up a limited number of tables.

I stuck around the pool so I can't really comment on the beach area.

For the money spent (65 USD/night) it was a great value. This is the perfect place for a friend or family get together.

Room Tip: Bring 1 dollar bills and give tips! They are greatly appeciated by the staff.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank AndieLynn
cataloniarivieramaya, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Dear Valued guest,

We truly appreciate your review as our clients opinion is extremely important to us as they help us to improve on our service and facilities as well.

We all are so glad to hear that you spent a great time with us which means you will come back soon.

It will be a huge pleasure to receive you again so we have the opportunity not only to cover but to exceed your expectations.

Hotel Manager.
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

I am the kind of person who reads every review for months to decide where to go. I was totally pleased with Catalonia & would go there again in a heartbeat. I rated everything a 10 & maybe the food & alcohol at 8+. If you tip the bartenders personally you will get a STRONG drink otherwise they were abit light, which was fine with me. Take a lg. thermal mug with you cuz the cups are small, plus it stays colder longer. Believe me, we did not go hungry by any means, you can eat all day long from 7am to 10:30 pm with a huge variety to choose from. Things just taste abit different than in the USA. It was fun to try new things. Go into town to see the dolphins, seals, sting rays & manatees. Have a drink & dinner at one of the many adorable outdoor restaurants & shop too, it's a 10 min. walk or take a bike for free. Snorkling is pretty good, we saw many fish & a baracuda especially in the little cove. For sure take water shoes. The entertainment staff is great, the water areobics were fun & things were going on constantly or you could move to any of the 6 other pools & relax. We took pool noodles with us & I'm very glad we did. It was nice to float on something all day. We gave them away to someone else when we left. We usually went to the ocean about 4 & laid in the shade & watched the beautiful water. The landscaping is unbelievably perfect & they are working on it daily. The workers are very hardworking & keep to themselves, though they say hi & smile when passing by. I would never go during busy season, I cannot imagine waiting in line or fighting for beach chairs. In July it was 50% full & perfect, you could always get a chair anywhere, no waiting in line for anything anywhere. It is VERY humid all the time, staying by the water is a must. Every nite the buffet had a different theme & was decorated for it. I suggest always sitting near the open windows for a breeze & never leave your table unattended or the birds will get your food. The Japenese restaurant food was awsome, though the show during the cooking was nothing compared to back in the USA. The Mexican rest. was very good also & we loved the Creperie'. The nitely shows were better than I expected & very entertaining. This was our 1st time out of the US & I was abit nervous, but all was very smooth. Make sure you have prepaid for an AC van to transport you to the hotel, we had American Express travel & they were very helpful & nice. The ride took about 1 1/2 hrs to get there cuz we had other people to drop off at different resorts, but it was neat to see other places up close. Overall, we went to relax & that is exactly what we did & loved every minute of it. The rooms were very clean & the beds comfortable, we even had a safe & a stocked refrig. This place has a very tropical feel with the thatched roofs & many plants. The bldgs. were angled different ways in & out of the folidge & it wasn't just a huge block bldg. like a normal hotel. I was surprised there were not more Americans there, but I loved meeting people from ALL over the world & their accents were great. I highly recommend the Catalonia or their sister resort next door the Yucatan since you use each others restaurants, pools etc. during your stay. I would just go during the off season cuz I don't want to be in a big crowd. I will for sure go back!!

Room Tip: single bed rooms are closer to the beach, 2 beds are farther away. I would not pay to be priviledged...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed at the Cat for the second leg of our honeymoon, after being in New York for 5 nights, Mexico was the perfect place to relax. On arriving we upgraded our room, cost around $15 per person per night, we were allocated room 6034 which had the most spectacular view over the lagoon, we were thrilled. The room itself was large and the bathroom was lovely. We found check in to be smooth and staff to be very friendly. We could not have asked for better weather it was around 95 and sunshine everyday take lots of suncream you will need it, although the shops on site do sell a range of suncreams, water, clothes etc they can be quite expensive also beware the thunder storms some nights, they are very loud, but don't last long, and you are provided with umberellas so it is no problem. The hotel is in a lovely gated community, so you can take a walk to the marina and have meals there if you wish to pay, we ate at Gringos we found the food good as was the price! The dolphins are amazing to watch here too. The hotel food was good, we ate at the Japanese which was excellent and the spanish tapas lovely food but you are still hungry after. The buffets were fine, a good range of food, something for everyone, we stayed in the Dominican a few years ago that was a 5 star but must say the Cats food was much better, i think people have to remember all inclusive usually does mean mass produced food, so sometimes the quality is not always 100% but for the most part it was great. Word of warning the wine in the all inclusive package is foul, but you can buy nice wines in the a la carts. We found the reservation system for a la carts to be a little flawed, you couldn't always get in the restaurants, but you can book in advance so this helped. The chill out bar was fabulous, although better in the day than at night with regards to the staff! Took a quick look at the shows one night and was quite impressed, and its very good for families. The drinks were good, pepsi always flat but the cocktails were great! On to the beach, i knew what to expect so wasn't too shocked by all the rocks, the beach it's self is o.k although too many sand ants for me, the lagoon was really nice and the sea warm, but just hard to get in to beacause of rocks but most people didnt seem to mind, the pools were very nice quite one yucatan side louder one catalonia side, so always somewhere to go. The entertainment team work very hard and like i say if you want to join in the games and aerobics etc you can, if it gets too much go to the other pool. I must admit that come the weekends a lot of locals desend on the Cat, not that they caused us any problem at all, but it does bring a different dimension to the place, however it is a little like saying there are a lot of Brits i n spain! I like to excersise and so found being able to run around the marina etc in the morning a bonus, and i always felt safe. All in all after reading a lot of the reviews i was a little concerned, however we were very happy with the hotel, and would return. Oh and one more tip, the rubbish we were told about Mexico not accepting dollars anymore was completely invalid in this community, you could pay by dollars or pesos no problem at all!

Room Tip: upgrade your room if possible, ask for a view of the lagoon!
3 Thank dag758
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

We recently had a family reunion at this resort and had a great time. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The many pools and bars are great. Highlights include the sports bar (great for kids), Hobie Cat rides (sign up early in the morning), the Chill Out Bar (nice breeze coming off the ocean), snorkeling in the lagoon (barracudas everywhere), the Japanese restaurant (the best food we had all week), Crepery (great dessert crepes), and the Mexican Dance Show (best show of the week). Before you go, here are some helpful tips. There are no clocks in the rooms so bring one with you. Make dinner reservations early in the week and find their locations early in the day. The restaurants are hot so dress accordingly. Water shoes are a must. Bring lots of sunscreen and feminine products because it's very expensive at the resort. Save your water bottles and refill them at the restaurants. Bring lots of one dollar bills for tips. Plan your excursions early in the week. We met with Wilbur and he was very helpful. Our best excursion was a snorkeling trip at the Maroma Paradise Marina. We were on the Dreamer with Ramon, Raul, and Martin. You will need biodegradable sunscreen for the reefs. The water is crystal clear and the fish plentiful. We only experienced a few negatives. The food was so-so. The rooms needed a fresh coat of paint but they were clean. The pools close early in the evening (no night swimming) and the pool water will discolor your clothes. All in all, we had a very good week.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,841 reviews

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!