My wife and I went 14-24 July 2011. From the beginning the personnel were very friendly and made us feel at home. We reserved a "privilege suite" which is a little bit more expensive than the standard room but well worth it. You get a safe, refrigerator with mini bar, internet, additional coupons for the specialty restaurants and a free visit to the spa. Also the rooms are newer, bigger and include a flat screen . Also our room had a view to the pool and the ocean (Bldg 7). The main restaurant has a decent food variety but you also have to be willing to try different kinds of food. Personnel have basic English skills. The hotel has a in pool bar and a informal restaurant were you can eat in your bathing suit. The entertainment staff are outstanding and during the day have different activities to keep people entertained to include contests, aerobics, karaoke, pingpong, archery etc. The beach is rocky at the entrance but enjoyable with plenty of lounge chairs, umbrellas and palm trees. You can also enjoy the free beach activities like snorkeling (1 hour), sailing (20 minutes) and canoeing. There is also a small ocean lake were you can see plenty of fish.
The specialty restaurants are excellent except the Italian which was very slow in getting our food. The best restaurant is the Mikado Japanese restaurant, the Mexican, Spanish and the Steakhouse were also good. Make sure you make your reservations at first opportunity since space is limited. The Creperia is excellent for crepes, milkshakes and dessert ( no reservation needed). Take dollar bills to tips personnel sporadically. Transportation is $25 per person in a van (Best Day) and the hotel is 50 miles from the airport or about an hour.
The closest town is Playa del Carmen that has a beautiful beach and cost $22 for a taxi from the hotel. However in 5th Ave where the tourist shops are, the prices are expensive.
There are various excursion agents in the hotel so shop around for the best price.
Visit Chichen Itza Mayan piramids about 3 hours awa. It cost about $90 per person in a tour bus with a guide. Also recommend the pyramids and beach in Tulum and XSCARET park. Take plenty of suntan lotion and mosquito repellent since it is expensive in the hotel. The prices in the gift shops are reasonable. Within walking distance from the hotel you can go to the Dolphin park and swim with them for about $90. Also there some shops and restaurants and a pharmacy. The street and hotel exchange rate is 10 pesos to a dollar. The night shows are excellent but be early to get a good seat; they start at 9:30 PM. There is also a sports bar and the disco starts at 1100 PM were you will get a chance to dance with some of the members of the entailment staff who are very friendly...specially Moises, Pita, Ana and Aniska. Overall be prepared to have a great time, no worries, and enjoy yourselves!
I forgot to mention that the Wi-Fi is erratic and unreliable but works. Hopefully it will be fixed
When you get there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Caribbean Sea's turquoise waters can be seen from this hotel-paradise. Come and get ready to spend some unforgettable days in the heart of the Mayan Riviera, surrounded by marvelous landscapes and seductive, white sand beaches. The hotel is located in the wonderful Puerto Aventuras development. This is a tourist development which boasts a marina for yachts, a golf course, restaurants and dolphin tanks, all within easy reach of the main Mayan Riviera attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Booking.com and Travelocity so you can book your Catalonia Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
- Catalonia Hotel Mexico
- Catalonia Rivera Maya
- Riviera Maya Catalonia
- Hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Riveria Maya
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort
- Catalonia Riviera Maya All Inclusive
- Catalonia Mexico