“Don't waste your money and time!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bleu Magic Raiatea

Bleu Magic Raiatea
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Don't waste your money and time!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Picked up at 8:00 and the catamaran didn't leave until 10:00! They motored and didn't sail the entire time. Food was cheap. Snorkeling was the worst --saw nothing -- waters were rough - put us in small boats to sit on broken chairs on a dirty stinky beach where the drinks were over priced and watered down. The manager belched -- no restrooms -- no water-- tour of Tulum was rushed -- nearly left behind in the heat with no water - got heat exhuasion -- put into the back of the van that was over crowded -- no A/C took more back then came on the trip got back at 7:30pm! Lost an entire day and paid over $130 per person for a day of misery! And they had the gall to ask for a tip!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank M C

Regina, Canada
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Will do this tour again next time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

On our recent trip to Mexico we went on the full day catamaran, snorkel, beach and Tulum tour. The weather turned bad part way through our cruise down the coast but that's the only thing I can say that wasn't positive and they certainly can't control the weather! The service was awesome on the boat.

If you buy pictures from the photographer on board be sure to haggle over price. The lunch was good for me and I am a vegetarian but some of the bigger guys on the boat would have liked more. Bring a towel for after snorkelling.

The guided tour of Tulum was also awesome. I had done a tour of the ruins about 8 years ago and the guide for this tour was much better than the last one I had. We hope to get back down to Mexico another time this year and we will likely do this tour again.

Visited June 2012
Winnipeg, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic excursion to the Tulum ruins”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

My partner and I took this wonderful catamaran cruise to Tulum in May 2012 as part of his 50th birthday celebration. It was absolutely amazing!

It is an excursion ideal for all ages. We shared the experience with other tourists from all over the world, young and old. Everyone seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. It was a beautiful, sunny day, and the sea was calm and welcoming. We enjoyed drinks on the cruise while we took in the beautiful views and chatted with other passengers. We certainly didn't get the impression that it was a "party boat" as some of the other reviewers have stated. Perhaps they just didn't like the music being played during the cruise.

The crew was so charasmatic, genuine and fun-loving, adding to the already warm and friendly atmosphere.

A little over halfway to Tulum, we stopped to do some snorkeling near the reef. I have never seen such amazing sights: angelfish, butterflyfish, octopus, seargeant major fish, parrotfish, damselfish, coral, anemones, sting rays, etc...

Shortly after our return from snorkeling, we were fed a wonderful lunch while we continued on our journey to Tulum.

Upon arrival, we were led up to shore by motorboat, to the most beautiful white sandy beach we've ever seen. We were given some time to enjoy the breathtaking views before we set off to visit the ruins.

Erick, our catamaran cruise host and guide, then led us toward the ruins at Tulum. He was extremely knowlegeable, informative, and interactive in his historical descriptions of the buildings, the civilization, the language, the culture and the land. His charisma and passion for the Mayan people shone as he spoke of their greatness. We were completely enveloped by a sense of being in such an important, historical place. (If you happen to read this, Erick - sincerely, thank you from the bottom of our hearts.)

I would definitely recommend that you go on this excursion! You will never experience such breathtaking beauty, adventure, variety and fun, but most of all, the privilege of standing in such an important place in the history of human civilization.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank NicoleH71
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wonderful Sail”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

We recently did a snorkel sail on board the Raiatea. We had such an awesome time! The crew was wonderful and did everything possible to ensure everyone had a fun experience. We will definitely go again next time we're in Playa del Carmen.

Visited May 2012
Texas
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 252 helpful votes
“It is what it is: a party boat with some snorkeling and a short tour of Tulum on the side”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

We took this tour on the recommendation of our hotel concierge. My family spent many years near or on the water and this seemed like a nice way to spend a day we were going to use to visit Tulum anyways and a unique way to get there.

True to the marketing we did take an 80' catamaran from Puerta Aventuras to Tulum. There is a bit of space in the shade with seating, particularly after the main sail is raised. I'm curious as to why they bothered as we traveled on engine power the entire time and the main sail was misrigged. I should have figured because the captain never warned us about tacking or taking an indirect route, as would be required to sail.

Also true to the marketing drinks and light snacks were provided during the 2.5-3 hr sail down the coast while music was playing. No one was warned about seasickness and at least a quarter of the people aboard were vomiting an hour into the voyage. I have a history of seasickness so I took medication prior to boarding. However many people were drinking a lot of alcohol and spending much time out in the sun while not looking in the direction of travel nor at the horizon. The rest is a lost lunch.

There were toilet facilities aboard the vessel, below deck. This makes things worse for people already motion sick. So I really didn't want to check them out.

We approached Tulum from the channel in the reef, which was truly off the normal tourist path. Then we docked and snorkeled on the reef. Masks, fins and snorkels were provided. As were the mandatory life vests all guests must wear (makes sense as you want to see all your clients and make sure they're back before heading off without them).

The reef was about 300 meters swim from the boat. For which should have been warned before booking the trip as one member of our group was not a strong swimmer. On the day we went there were strong currents so weak swimmers were swept away from the boat. Strong swimmers ended up dragging people back to the boat. There was one tour guide for about 50 or 60 snorkelers, of different abilities, some of whom have been drinking. This meant that any time you can across something interesting you'd be kicked in the head by someone else. It's frustrating for experienced snorkelers, swimmers and divers.

The reef itself was very beautiful and obviously not abused. We saw all kinds of corrals, urchins, starfish, and fish, and I even saw a spotted ray on the way back to the boat. I was given extra time to swim around the boat while others took their time on the way back and started lunch.

When we got back to the boat it was time for lunch. Our equipment was allowed to dry on the netting on front of the boat while we had sandwiches, salads and chips and guac. Nothing fancy, but it hit the spot. And there was stuff to eat for everyone, including those of us with "food problems". And of course more drinks were served. It was open bar the entire time we were on the boat.

After lunch smaller vessels carried all of us to a small beach resort near Tulum to spend an hour on the beach. I'm sure this would have been lovely on a better day. As it was we spent our time changing our clothes and watching a storm roll in. The beach was interesting with its soft sugar sand. But the facilities were primitive. I'm guessing it was designed as an eco resort?

Next vans drove all of us to Tulum where it seemed we hurried up and waited everywhere. We only spent about 45 minutes at the site where our tour guide, who really was a very nice and personable man, pulled out the most bizarre theories about Mayans ever constructed. I'm sure Eric is a lovely man, but I know anthropologists who study the Maya and, just, wow. The stuff he was saying was OUT THERE. I ended up splitting from the group and photographing the site on my own. It's truly beautiful but I'd have preferred to spend more time there.

After the tour of the site we were packed back up in the vans and taken back to our hotels. The whole thing was about $110 USD per person before tips. And the trip took an entire day.

The crew were fantastic, friendly and professional. I don't know how they managed to not have anyone go overboard. I discovered that one of them knew Italian in addition to Spanish, French, and English. And several of them also SCUBA dive. There was a hard sell for a CD of photos taken by the crew, but I don't really blame them for it.

Some things they (the tour operators) should have warned people about:
1. Seasickness. Let people prepare by taking meds if they choose to, but warn them in advance.
2. Everything you take with you will get wet. Take a plastic bag for dry clothes, towels (not provided), cameras, etc.
3. Bring sunscreen/sunblock because the sun is intense on the water. They request all guests use biodegradable sunblock, which is not available on the tour. Unless other guests let you use theirs.
4. The 300 m swim to the reef. This is not a trip for beginners. Especially given the wave breaks and strong currents at the reef.
5. There will be up to 80 people with you. Some will be vomiting. Some with be drunk. Some will be both.
6. You can bring your own equipment if you want. Always my preference.
7. The tour only schedules 1 hour in Tulum. In our case it was 45 min because we had some stragglers. You do not have to stay with the group after you get in the park if you remember to meet them back at the designated spot at the designated time.
8. In spite of the jokes that were made, don't drink alcohol if you're likely to get seasick. It just makes it worse. Stick to water: sparkling or still. Bring crackers/saltines because I didn't see any onboard.

In all the tour has value and I'm glad we went on it the one time. I recommend it to people who wish travel via party boat. But I don't recommend it to people who specifically want to see Tulum. Next time we'll take a taxi from the resort and see it all on our own.

Visited March 2012