“Bad attitude” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wasabi Loco Sportfishing Adventures

Wasabi Loco Sportfishing Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Clean boats and family friendly crews set us above the competition. Read our reviews and then book with complete confidence. Please check out our website for available boats and pricing. Thanks! See you at the docks! Rico
Cancún, Quintana Roo, Mexico
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Bad attitude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

I am a local fisherman and i charter with different guys in the area, this guys have a few boat and i thought id give em a try. I didnt even book my fishing because Rico the operator i felt had a bit of an attitude, maybe because im not american or a turist he didnt feel the need to explain me to detail my questions. Oh well, luckly in the are we have lots of nice ppl to chart a boat for fishing. His crew tho seem nice.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Bobby D

Austin, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Hands Down the Best Cancun Fishing Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

This was my second trip to Cancun area, my first fishing trip was terrible. Shoddy equipment and they strong armed us into taxidermy, saying we could not lift the fish out of the water for a picture of our fish unless we did.

Wasabi Loco gave us a wonderful Captain and Crew! We caught an amazing Sailfish, Barracuda and Wahoo. We got pictures of all! The equipment was beautiful, the crew were so nice, knowledgeable and helpful. For the BEST Experience go to Wasabi Loco!! Also Free cold water and soda were available.

1 Thank akaschizas
wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Hope It's Helpful”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

I hesitated to write this review but then I thought, Geez I wish I had read a few reviews like the one below and perhaps I would not have chosen this group -- so here it is --

First and foremost it's fishing... If you catch fish you had a good/great time and if you didn't catch much you usually do not have a good time. We did not catch fish, so automatically we were on a negative but believe me, this was just the beginning of the bad stuff.

I do not believe that Richard owns these boats but somehow makes his money off brokering the business. On the boat we were shuttled to, the captain and first mate spoke very little english and didn't even talk to us the whole trip unless we asked a question and then got a broken english one or two word response, Real uncomfortable for a family.

Here are the highlights (and lowlights)

Pros:
1. Richard and his wife were nice
2. Price was similar to others in the area

CONS:
1. Met Richard in the morning and he told us fishing had been GREAT, but only in the afternoons?? We had a morning trip. We had already been in Mexico for 4 days and Richard had many boats available in the afternoons on many days that we were there (which he knew which days) why didn't he call / email to tell us? He gave us some story about the moon phases.... probably some truth but again if it was the truth, why wouldn't you make us aware that the morning fishing was slow before we got there?? We know $$$

2. Booked the BlackFin 32' because I was bringing my wife and 8yr old daughter and the bathroom was important to us and we told Richard this -- boat physically had a bathroom, but it didn't work. They didn't fill the potable water the deck hand said no problem and filled up a bucket from ocean and rinsed it down every time someone used it! On top of that they wanted us to place (uhmmm) used toilet paper in a very small, thin shopping bag hanging on the wall? are you kidding, spring for some bio-paper man? Or at least make it a little more acceptable. It would be different if I was going with a bunch of guys, but we were clear on who was attending.

3. Water and drinks supplied - they did have water and a couple of soda in a cooler that the Captain kept under his feet? Really awkward t have to ask every time for a water or a soda on 85-90 degree weather - opened the fridge before we knew there was a cooler under the Captain - definitely bad move.

4. This whole thing about snack and homemade ceviche onboard - NOPE - didn't see any - wasn't offered any - really disappointed because we asked Richard in the morning and he assured us "its wonderful" if you never had it you won't believe it - **Well we still don't believe it.**

All the extras that were supposed to b put this guy over the top based on this sites reviews were just the opposite.

Now fishing - I have been on many charter fishing boats and I get the fact that "it's fishing". Here is the tough part knowing a little. They trolled in the same circle over and over and over - move to a different spot...They never tried different lures, spinners or bait. They stuck with the same stuff and kept shrugging their shoulders. The same thing that works for Sail, doesn't work for Tuna and etc. We were hoping for Sail but after a while try something different.

In all honesty the Captain came down and said since it was slow he would give us an extra hour, which we thought was nice. However, we were done with whole experience.

I am not looking for a response from this vendor (although) I am sure there will be some sort of deflecting response on this site. If the vendor does reply, the only sensible comment could be "I am sorry" as 100% of the above is complete truth.

I am writing ONLY because I look at this site a ton on every trip I take and boy I wish others that rely on this site would write as well as read.

We gave 2 stars as we did enjoy the boat ride and the water was beautiful, so there was some pleasure in going.

All the best

6 Thank mcorrea
Rico_Wasabi, Manager at Wasabi Loco Sportfishing Adventures, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. It certainly is true that lack of fishing success colored your experience.

To address the high points (or low points):

Yes, it is true, we don't own all of the boats we manage. We are actually five private boat owners who each own one boat. Not only is this posted prominently on our website, we also mention it on our briefings. The boats are privately owned and maintained by owners who who use charters to offset expenses. It is why the boats are so well maintained and is part of what makes our fishing excursions a cut above the norm. We brag about it. It's not a secret? Thanks for "exposing" us.

If you prefer a company that owns fifteen boats and barely keeps ten of them in the water, you called the wrong company.

No, I did not call you (or anybody else, for that matter) to tell them that the fishing had been good in the afternoons and you should change your schedule. As I am always careful to explain, I am much like a stock broker, I can tell you how it was yesterday but not today. I am not clairvoyant.

We do go out of our way to tell our clients that they can monitor our Facebook page where we keep fairly up to date fishing reports. The info was available to you as well as everyone else. We are the only local company that does this.

Your schedule is absolutely the last thing I have control over?? However, I am sure if I HAD called you and you HAD changed to the afternoon AND the fishing had turned out to be better in the morning that day, you would have given me FIVE STARS for effort even though you didn't catch fish. Am I understanding that correctly?

You state that it was due to $$$$$$. Really? You think we make more money on morning trips than afternoon trips?

Accusing the crew of not working hard on that particular boat goes so against everything I know to be true, that I am honestly speechless.

Every statement of yours is meant to inflame. The drink cooler is indeed on the helm "next" to the Captain and around the corner. What is your intention by saying, it's between his legs? What are you trying to insinuate??

You obviously don't like the way they fished. They are very serious and experienced fishermen who do everything they can to catch fish. I am certainly not going to question their techniques or strategies. Each of our crew has over 3,000 fishing trips under their belt in these waters. If you had a question about what they were doing you should have asked. The implication that somehow they were trying to save money is absurd. Go and get in your car and drive around the block for four hours and tell me if you save money over driving in a straight line??

I'd also like to add that you were specifically told that every aspect of the trip was under your control including techniques. I specifically told you that if you wanted to do something different at any time that you only had to tell the crew.

You even want to criticize the sodas! I put a case of sodas and a case of water on the boat daily. Did you go up there and count "two" cans. This is just a lie and your exaggeration does you disservice.

I debated as to whether to address your "toilet" experience but you are the one who brought it up. You leave me no choice.

The toilet (head) on your boat is a high quality, porcelain marine head. It is THE top brand and is in excellent condition. Not good...excellent. The head is cleaned, disinfected and inspected EVERY morning.

There's a saying on board boats and in fact that saying is commemorated with a small plaque that is situated at eye level when you are sitting on the can in your boat. It says simply, "DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN THE HEAD THAT YOU HAVE NOT EATEN FIRST".

A small amount of toilet paper is fine but the mate said that you left it so clogged with paper that he had to use five gallon buckets of seawater to clear it. You even complain that we had no potable water for the toilet?? (the toilet runs on sea water, not potable water). We supply bottled water for drinking. It's simple. Sea water = toilet; bottled water = potable.

Really? You want to blame your toilet experience on me?

I am sincere when I say that we care about our customers and are quite proud of the boats that we offer. We endeavor to provide a quality experience for each and every guest.

I am glad you thought we were "nice". I am disappointed we could not make you happy but I've come to realize that making everybody happy is not possible. Perfection is in the realm of the creator.

You may not have thought about it, but that lazy crew you complained about spent an extra hour of their time to give you an extra shot at catching fish. This is voluntary and they receive no extra compensation for it. (the diesel isn't free either, by the way).

And this is from a company you insinuate is "grubbing" for money.

I challenge you to find any other charter service or crew who would do such a thing.

Peace!
Flanders, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wasabi Loco 4/17/14..Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Fished with Wasabi Loco on 4/17/14. Went out with Capt Mateo and mates Amlano and Cobax on a 32 foot Lurhs with my wife and 3 daughters. The boat was very clean and we started trolling 3 minutes outside of the inlet. Trolling Gear included 2 Shamamo TLD 25's and Penn Internationals 40 & 30 plus a 5th short line from the bridge completing the balyhoo spread all rigged with 30 to 40 pound test. The tackle was newer and in very good shape. The experience was awesome from the clear communication from Richard and Vicki on the booking side to the knowledge and professionalism for the capt and mates. We went 7 for 7 on 2 white marlin, 1 sailfish, 3 wahoo and a baracuda. Largest marlin was in the 75lb range and the largest wahoo was about 30lb's. The girls did great with help from the mates. Amlano and Cobax kept the balyhoo baits fresh and the capt kept us on on the fish for most of the morning. We planned on a combo bottom reef jig fishing and trolling trip but the sporty seas did not allow for comfortable drift conditions but trolling was no problem in sporty seas with this size Lurhs. This is a first class operation and as an experienced angler I highly recommend them for a day to remember from the avids to the beginners. I can't wait to go back and fish with them again.

2 Thank Mark D
Attica, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“very friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

We booked two charters with Wasabi Loco. In all we caught one targeted fish, a sailfish caught while vertical jigging with our own equipment. It was rather slow trolling as we had a couple rods pop but line failure prevented us from being handed the rod. Crew was happy to stop and let us jig. Altogether we trolled about 19 hours with Wasabi and Captain Rick (separate review) and in my opinion, the fishery is a little sparse, at least for April. I would't spend the money again for bill-fish in the Playa- Cozumel area.

P.S. I applaud Wahabi Loco for their catch and release practice.