“A great day..”

Wasabi Loco Sportfishing Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Clean boats and family friendly crews set us above the competition. Read our reviews and then book with complete confidence. Please check out our website for available boats and pricing. Thanks! See you at the docks! Rico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A great day..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Out on May 8, 10 of us. We were encouraged to split, but it's a wedding, and we wanted to be together. We took the 38 footer.

Seas were slightly rough, one of our party had some seasickness, but the cap and crew were on top of things. Started slow, but the day just got better and better. Ultimately, we put 7 mahi-mahi in the boat, hooked and LDR'd 1 marlin and several other mahi. We stopped at noon, anchored up and did the tourista-snorkel thing, great ceviche and sandwiches.

Of course, boating fish is always best, and it's nice to be the guys who were there when it happened...lots of fish. A great captain and crew,the boat is the right boat for a big bunch 'cause you're outside but not cramped, and a very special day. The bride caught the big fish! Certainly if it was a different kind of event, we'd likely split up, but for us this worked very, very well. It was a day I'd hoped for, well exceeding my expectations.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank guyg773

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“stay away....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

April 10 2013 will be a day 10 of us will never forget.....
we started checking out different fishing companys to take our groom on a day out fishing with his friends and family, i guess we should of looked alittle harder.
we started with getting a large cab to take us to the marina and meet up with Rick and his wife on the dock. The day was windy but with it not getting cancelled we thought it should be okay for us bunch of rookies that have never been fishing. Rick and his wife meet us and asked us first thing if anyone gets sea sick or motion sickness and said that they MAY get sick on this adventure. we assumed it was like any other boat and some people do get sea sick, we thought we could deal with it. Rick then asked us to sign a waiver and took our money, he lead us to the 53 foot boat and wanted to take pictures of all the guys with OUR camera's. Great idea but our guide then takes one step to much and ended up in the water with 2 camera's valued at over 800.00 that are still not working. He advised us that we should put them in a bag with rice to dry it out and sorry, Sorry was nice but nothing eles was done or tried to compasate. Well we decided to try to still have a good day and deal with the camera later. We started heading out of the mariana and as the captian see the waves in the ocean he does the sign of the cross and the groom say's to him hey your no making us feel very safe and all he say's is PRAY (nice). off we go into the waves and as we hit the ocean we were no longer able to stand (it was so rough). Sure enough we started loosing people to the puking over the edge within the first 10 min. about 20 mins in to the boat trip or i guess fishing trip we now had 5 people over the edge puking and the best was a CREW MEMBER WAS PUKING TOO. this you think should of been an eye opener for the captian or crew and to maybe let Rick know.
After about 50 mins on the boat we had out of 10 people 6 puking, 2 feeling very ill, and 2 not bad oh ya AND A CREW MEMBER PUKING. Our groom went into the galley to use the head and was almost taken out by falling picture's and the table came loose and was all over the galley also (NOT SAFE). When the groom came out of the galley we all informed the captain that it was time to head in because there was some VERY ILL PEOPLE on the boat. Well to our surprise we never started heading back for another 20 min. because the crew had seen a tuna or something and kept circling it to try to catch it, good money for the crew i guess. i thought we were the customer and if we wanted to head back in then it should of been done RIGHT AWAY. We headed back to the marina and to park the boat, we got the passagers off and we were nursing them on the concrete without any crew asking once how the 3 passanger that were still puking and white as a ghost were. We were on the dock for a good 30 mins before we could get back into the cab to head back to the resort and not once did we see the owner of the company Rick there to see how the trip was. As we were heading back to our resort we did have 2 maratimers with us that are seasoned fishermen and 1 was puking and the other said he would NEVER had taken people out in that. When we got back we were talking to our SUNWING rep at the hotel and was telling him how horrible of a morning we had and how we thought it should of been rebook for a better day, he informed us that all fishing charters were cancelled for unsafe waters.,.NOW WE WERE MAD. not only did we loose 800. in cameras we also lost our hard earn money which was another 1000.00, 1800.00 for 2 hours of HELL not a good deal. Again we have not heard nothing from the owner and he must of heard about of trip by now so we decided to call him.
First we were informed the cameras in the water was an accident, okay but dont they have insurance these were not cheap camera's and we are not rich people. Second we told him about Sunwing saying fishing charters were cancelled because of the weather and why was our's not? we get this....the marina captian closed the water for all boats under 35 feet, we had the ONLY 53 foot in Playa and thats why we were aloud to fish..well if its not safe for everyone eles then maybe it should be rebooked for us to. We were wondering why we were the only boat on the water that day also. (thats why)

this was a morning from hell and to what was supposed to be a great bacholer party.
I THINK WASABI LOCO DID NOT LOOK AFTER ITS CUSTOMERS SAFTEY OR WELL BEING AND WAS JUST LOOKING FOR MONEY, YES THEY WOULD HAVE LOST ALOT OF MONEY BY BEING TOLD TO CANCELL ALL OTHER FISHING CHARTERS BY THE MARIANA CAPTIAN BUT TO MAKE THE MONEY OFF OF US WAS THE WRONG THING TO DO. RICK SHOULD OF OFFERED US TO GO ANOTHER DAY WHEN THE WATERS WERE BETTER OR OFFER US TO JUST NOT TAKE THE TRIP BECAUSE IT WOULD BE NO FUN FOR NOBODY. NEITHER WAS OFFERED. WHY WOULD YOU RUIN A FISHING ADVENTURE FOR A BUNCH OF GUYS AND STILL BE ABLE TO SLEEP AT NIGHT. 8 OF US HAVE VOWED TO NEVER STEP FOOT ON ANOTHER FISHING BOAT FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES THAKS WASABI FOR THIS.....

I WOULD LIKE TO NOTE ALSO THAT SAFTEY IS NOT A CONCERN FOR THIS COMPANY AS THERE WAS NOT ONE LIFE JACKET TO BE FOUND AND NOT ONE LIFE SAVER TO BE FOUND ON DECK OR IN THE CABIN AS WE ALL LOOKED, WHAT WOULD OF HAPPENED IF ONE SICK GUY FELL IN AND NOT BEING ABLE TO THROW HIM A LIFE SAVER, NOT SAFE AT ALL.

WASABI TOURS SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEM SELFS FOR PUTTING US THRU THIS, WAS YOUR 1000.00 WORTH IT NOT WHEN WE ARE DONE, WE WILL TELL EVERYONE AND HOPEFULLY EVERYONE WILL TELL THERE FRIENDS WHAT A SHADY COMPANY THIS IS, THANKS FOR RUINING OUR FUN.

PLEASE DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY AND FIND A CUSTOMER RELATED COMPANY TO BOOK WITH, EVEN THE GUYS ON THE BEACH (SHADY TOUR GUIDES) SAID THEY WERE'NT EVEN TAKING PEOPLE OUT.
feel free to email me if you have any other question
by the way i have never wrote a review but this could not go with out one.

4 Thank Rick H
Rico_Wasabi, Owner at Wasabi Loco Sportfishing Adventures, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
First, I am incredibly sorry for your unpleasant experience and that of your group.

You are quite correct. After several in your party handed me their cameras I turned and tripped over a rope and fell into the water. I damaged those cameras as well as my own Galaxy Note 2 (750.00). It was a regrettable accident for which I apologized for at the time. It is the first time anything like that has ever happened and I was appalled and embarrassed.

I was contacted after the trip and it was requested that I make restitution of a certain dollar amount. I was assured that this would "make it right" with your group. Of course, I immediately agreed.

Weeks later you contacted me. You threatened to write negative reviews on TripAdvisor if I did not pay you additional funds (equaling over 3x the original amount I had already paid ! ). I did not pay.

You then wrote your report. Since I still haven't sent you more money you are now threatening to have 48 of your friends write negative reviews on TripAdvisor if I don't pay the additional funds.

As regards your fishing trip. You were on the biggest, safest charter fishing boat within at least 200 miles in any direction. The port was closed to smaller boats. There were several trips at the exact same time as yours in 38' boats. You were in a 53' boat.

The seas were indeed very rough as I repeatedly cautioned you prior to your trip. I mentioned it several times. I spoke to your group about seasickness as I do anytime the conditions warrant.

No one in your group admitted any history of motion sickness. After one of your group originated not having slept all night, I assured him and everyone else that if there was ever a time in their lives that they would be seasick, it would be that day. While I certainly understand the celebratory nature of "bachelor parties" that last all night I would recommend (if asked) that a good night's sleep would be preferred before venturing to sea for the first time and especially in rough conditions.

As no-one in the group seemed particularly worried in spite of my cautions, I did not feel it was my place to tell you that you could NOT fish when you obviously could if you wanted to.

That 53' boat is highly desirable in rough conditions because it CAN be fished safely.

We would never put our boats or our crews in any danger and certainly not our clients. The value of that 53' boat is easily 350 times the value of your charter (before ANY expenses). The boat's owners would never allow it to leave under dangerous conditions. Your suggestion that we put you, the crew and the boat in danger for the meager profit of a fishing charter is simply wrong.

After the trip, one of your group conceded that I had indeed warned you on several occasions as to the roughness of the seas. He also stated that "he was from the plains and didn't know what that meant".

I am sure it must have been terrifying, having never experienced anything like that before. I am very sorry for that.

I will not be sending any more money beyond what was originally requested and what was paid. Obviously, there is nothing I can do to prevent you from convincing 48 of your friends from writing bad reviews.

My unwillingness to pay more money is not indicative of my regret for this entire incident. I truly do regret your experience.

My wife and I care very much about our guests and their experience with us.
Edmonton
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Second time using Wasabi Loco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is my second review of Wasabi Loco. I used them for the first time last April and was very pleased with my experience. My intent is to now go to the Mayan Riviera each April or May in order to be there during some of the best fishing of the year.

My wife and I had a great charter with Wasabi Loco again this year. The boat was great and my wife really appreciated having a nice cabin to escape the sun once in a while. The crew were excellent. They were friendly, helpful and committed to catching fish.

The fishing was great. I landed two nice sailfish and lost a third. Apparently a white marlin made a run at one of the lures but missed the hook when it struck. There were a number of other hits as well. The crew were constantly changing and checking the lures and were using different strategies to entice a strike.

Richard was great to deal with ranging from arranging the charter from my home in Alberta to meeting us in Puerto Aventuras. The cab driver dropped us off at the wrong marina but within 5 minutes Richard showed up driving his cart and drove us to the boat in the correct marina.

One of the cool things in fishing with Wasabi Loco is that great fishing is available right outside the marina. I have had some of my best fishing just a few minutes out.

Can't wait until my trip next year!

4 Thank KeishaT
Pardeeville, Wisconsin, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“had a fun and exciting time. cannot wait to get back here again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

from the time I arrived to meet Richard, Vicki, and there little dog Carlos, I knew I would have a fabulous time fishing with Wasabi Loco, we sat down and had a very nice conversation . They explained to me what I could expect on my fishing trip, what type of boat , who would be with me, how long I would be out, and what sort of fish I could catch. They took me down to the boat, introduced me to the crew, and saw me off. I fish back home, but never experienced a trip like this , so I was a little nervous, anxious and excited, But from the time we left the marina, the crew made me feel very comfortable. They were very professional, educational,and work very hard to get me on fish. not to mention how patient they were also. I was able to hook into two mahi mahi back to back. Just to go out and have the experience of doing something like this was amazing, and then to catch two fish back to back was the iceing on the cake. If your thinking of going fishing in mexico, without a doubt these are people you want to be on the water with...

5 Thank Kevin P
Carl Junction, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Excellent day of fishing with a great Captain and Crew.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

There's never any guaranty if catching fish, but we certainly had an excellent day of fishing and brought back some nice Mahi and caught a sailfish. The captain and crew where one of the best I have ever been offshore with. I highly recommend Wasabi Loco to anyone looking to go fishing while in this part Mexico. Don't waste your money on a trip from some resort. Plan ahead and go with these guys. You won't regret it.

3 Thank JThomp44