“Great Beach Location!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Sherwood Park, Canada
“Great Beach Location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

Just got back from a week at EDSS, and the resort is beautiful.
We were in a 2nd floor ocean front room, and having the balcony with the screen open was great to hear the sounds of the ocean.
The beach here is one of the best in the area, it is a smaller resort so you don't feel like your fighting to get space. The al la carte dinning is great no large buffets and the meals at each restaurant are truly gourmet. The Italian one is without a doubt a favorite and has a excellent wine selection as well.
Drink service on the beach is outstanding as always!
I look forward to a return trip in the fall!

1 Thank spddemn
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 23, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Sensimar Seaside Suites & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,194)
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

The resort was recommended by our travel agent and it exceeded our expectations in all areas - fantastic gourmet dining, beautiful beaches, smaller resort with that personal touch from all the staff, quiet and did not feel crowded, did not have to wait to get a seat in the dining room, very romantic setting and I could say more but it would be all good. To choose this resort for an adult couple who want to spend some quality time with each other is a "no brainer".

Snowshoe, West Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

Just returned fron EDSSS after a 1o night stay, We have been traveling to Mexico & Carribean for 27 years and have seen the best and the worst, this resort ranks with the best, The grounds are beautiful, the staff is friendly (perhaps its my $2.00 bill tips). The restaurants are very pretty and well staffed. On the subject of food I was not impressed with the "Gourmet Experience". often times the menu had nothing you could recognize and you had to take a wild shot at your meal which wasn't always to your liking. The portions were "VERY" small which maybe is not a bad thing. The resort does not have a dinner buffet which I think would be very helpful, We went to Cozumel one day and arrived back at the hotel quite late and very tired and it would have been great to go to a buffet for a bite then up to your room and crash instead if you wanted to eat you had to change clothes and go to your "Gourmet" restaurant. When we arrived we were told at the orientation that the dress code would be strictly enforced, "Wrong", we seen people served in flip flops t-shirts and beach shorts. We have always enjoyed "Spas" together but this resort will not allow men and women to use a common steam room or sauna, this is the first time after many resorts I have ever seen that, each gender had a seperate spa. Ther is no free internet, Internet is available for $10.00 per half hour. Our two "conceirge" girls "Claudia and Elissa" were very helpful and willing to go out of their way to help.
It may appear that I am critical of this resort but many people think this is a very nice place and I agree but I would like to see some of the above mentioned things dealt with. I would have no problem going back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
KarismaHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

While we are thrilled to hear that our resort ranks amongst the best you have visited in Mexico, it brings us great disappointment to hear that you did not enjoy our Gourmet cuisine at the El Dorado Seaside Suites.

Our cuisine has become our trademark. Responsible for our cuisine is a culinary mastermind that manages a dedicated team of star chefs trained at some of the finest Michelin and Zagat rated restaurants around the world. A short description explains each dish and our wait staff are on hand to suggest recommendations and assist you with your food choices.

In addition to our fine dining restaurants, 24 hour room service is available should our guests wish a more relaxed, in room dining experience or arrive back to the resort from a day of adventure.

On behalf of El Dorado Seaside Suites, we'd like to thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback.
dayrene15
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

My husband and I traveled to EDSS in December of 2007. It was beautiful! The room, room service, and the grounds were fantastic. It was very relaxing. We always ordered food to our room whenever we were feeling hungry and it was very prompt. The pools were nice and the beach was pretty. We traveled off the resort a few days because it did get boring. The beach, while it did look beautiful, was very hard to swim in due to the coral and rocks. Also, getting a beach bed was near impossible. The biggest disappointment was the food in the restaurants. The Mexican restaurant was the best. The rest were not gourmet by any means. One night I got a filet which really was a piece of skirt steak. My husband and I both enjoy good food and the food at the restaurants...well, was pretty sad. Also, it was pretty annoying to be hassled about time shares and such at the beginning of our trip. No, we are not here to go to a meeting and learn about this. We are here to be on vacation.
All in all, it was a nice vacation. Probably next time I would stay in Playa del Carmen in a hotel and find good restaurants in town.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experiences from your stay in April 2010. Since your stay, we have experienced a change in the hotel’s management and continue to strive for excellence.

Throughout the course of the last year, we have seen many improvements; we have welcomed a new executive chef with worldwide recognition and the introduction of home grown produce to our restaurants gives a unique and flavorful edge to our dishes.

We are truly very sorry you did not enjoy your first experience of our Gourmet Cuisine. However we hope you do return to the El Dorado Seaside Suite as we assure you that you will not be disappointed.
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2011

If there was a word that summed up all the meanings of wow, stunning, fantastic, and incredible, that would be the word I would use to describe this resort. We loved this resort!!! We are scared to try another, because I think it will now be difficult to impress me. I'm sure we will always be comparing it to EDSS.

It's a small resort, I believe 280 rooms and the thing that just sticks out to me is that it felt like we had the resort to ourselves! It was at 85% capacity and you could walk from one end of the resort to the other on the paths and maybe walk by 4 people. It was so quiet, so peaceful, so relaxing. Definitely, not a party place, which we loved!

The grounds really stand out to me, so lush, so green, so beautiful! Trees everywhere, not like most resorts that chop all the trees down and then grow a couple in a few select locations. In some areas you could barely see the buildings it was so lush.

The food was fantastic. My wife liked the buffet at Arrecifes, I loved the Crepes with cheese and bacon at the Vida Garden Grill. Although, the french toast cube at Arrefices was really good! We had lunch everyday at the outside restaurant Sandwichiere. They would start you off with Nachos, salsa, and gauc, very good. Highly recommended is the steak baquette, the lamb sandwich, and the chicken burrito. Now, many reviews say that the Mexician was their least favorite, we loved it. We actually almost didn't try it because of the reviews. Definitely try it, it was fantastic! The asian was amazing, I didn't even know I liked sushi, I love it now!!! For the appitizers try the #2 it's a combination of sushi and rolls, all the best. Also, their spring rolls are the best I've ever had. The Italian was very nice, the asparagus soup was awesome, as well as the lamb and lasagne. Only had room service once for breakfast, it was really nice. The drinks are very good, especially their sangrias, bahama mamas, and the el dorado.

The beach is fine, don't worry about negative reviews about the beach. Not a super wide beach, but it was long with loungers everywhere. Could get a lounger on the beach at any time of the day. The beach beds were awesome for those wanting to lay around and stay out of the sun. The beach is a little better, nicer sand, about a 5 minute walk to the right. We went there twice, it was a nice walk.

We hung out at the main activity pool, did have to get up early for a good spot. They say you can't reserve your lounger before 7, but it is not enforced and people do it. Once I got there at 6:45 a.m. and most of the good spots were already taken. The spa people will try to get you to book a massage and will give small massages for free. My wife doesn't like hour long massages, so Mario would give her a 15 minute massage everyday. We gave him 100 pesos each time, my wife was loving the idea of having her own personal masseuse, and he was very happy with his payment. He came to find her everyday. He would always say to her that her knots missed him, too funny!

The rooms were very nice, didn't spend much time in them though. The only thing I would change in hindsight is that I would not book the oceanfront room when we return. I paid an extra $800.00 for the upgrade to oceanfront expecting to walk out of my room, onto my patio, and then down to the beach. Not the case, the rooms on the main floor are beachfront, so the oceanfront on the second floor, we had a balcony. Right across the path from my complex was a gardenview complex and those rooms on the second floor were $800 less. Defintely the room I will book next time. My room did not enhance my trip to justify the $800, so why pay the extra money.

The service was good, can't remember names, but I won't forget their faces and the way they made me laugh.

Truly can not imagine how people could complain while being on a vacation at EDSS. The only thing I was slightly annoyed with was that internet was not free. We paid a lot of money to stay at this resort, internet should have been free! Heck, I can pay 100 bucks for a night at a Best Western and get free internet.

Enough of that, because the vacation was perfect!

Thanks EDSS for a wonderful vacation. We have memories that we will carry with us for the rest of our lives!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, if you go on any excursions I would highly recommend going to Tulum, Akumal Beach (saw 5 sea turtles, a stingray, a 3 huge grouper fish), Hidden World Cenote Park, and the secured area of Peurto Adventuras.

Enjoy your trip!!!!

3 Thank Daddyof3kids

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2011

Booked through my travel agent and the place exceeded my expectations. Greeted with a scented towel and champagne, really nice room, comfortable bed and nice view of lush palm and gardens throughout. Really liked the beds on the beach and just chilling. The food was excellent, presentation was exceptional, everyone working their was nice and always saying "Hola". Liked the breakfast at the Vida Garden Grill and the Mexican Rest was quite good also. Was a great get way, relaxing and low key, can participate in activities if you want, no big pressure. Overall great place.

Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2011

This resort has the most amazing staff! From check-in to check-out everyone was pleasant and smiling and did their best to make our stay perfect. Not once did I ever see a staff member doing nothing. From the chambermaids to the gardeners to the waiters I can honestly say that they work non-stop to make the resort look good, function to the best of it's ability and make your stay the absolute best it can be. It truly warmed my heart to be treated so kindly by so many people.
We stayed in an air conditioned "gardenview" room on the third floor. It was so fun to see the little geckos (salamanders?) in the stairwells in the evening. From the entrance to the room we could see jungle and hear all sorts of birds. From the room balcony we looked out at the tops of palm trees and down onto the swim up suites/lazy river. We could hear the ocean and it was just lovely. The room was quiet, absolutely spotless and quite spacious. It had a large (two person) jacuzzi tub that was fantastic, a king size bed, lots of closet and dresser space and a spacious bathroom with large walk in shower. On a side note, the bathroom toiletries were lovely as well. The fridge was kept stocked with beer, bottled water and a variety of pop. There were always bottles of water in the bathroom and by the coffee maker as well.
The grounds were kept immaculate by the gardening staff. The palm trees are huge and provide a lot of shade. Breezes are kept to a minimum until you reach the path right by the beach.
The restaurants were absolutely fantastic. I highly recommend the italian, mexican and garden grill. The waiters were amazing and the food was to die for. Don't go there expecting truck stop portions. You'll be eating many courses and will soon realize how nice it is to leave the restaurant after eating for two hours and not feel uncomfortably full. Take your time and enjoy each dish as it's presented instead of just shovelling the food in until your plate is empty. I can't emphasize enough how yummy I thought the food was!
Excursions are readily available from several venues within the resort but you can also have the doorperson call you a cab. Alternately, you can walk to the end of the driveway and wait for a collectivo (sp?). FYI: Don't get sucked in to the "free" Lapis jewellery factory tour. There's no factory. It's just a great big jewellery store where salespeople are assigned to each individual and follow you around trying to get you to purchase a $50,000.00 bracelet.
The outdoor bar area was one of my favorite spots to both eat and relax. Sitting here in the evening with a drink was quite heavenly.
The beach was well groomed and had plenty of lounge chairs and beach beds. We never had a problem finding a beach chair but you'd have to get up pretty early to save a beach bed. I think it's a recurring problem that people dart out at 6 a.m. (perhaps earlier?) and place their towels on a beach bed and then never bother using it. That was the only frustrating thing about the resort that I can think of and would imagine it occurs at most places. The water is not deep at this resort but it is great fun for beginner snorkelers like myself. The reef that is just off shore makes for a great place to hone your snorkelling skills without paying for an excursion.
This resort isn't for you if you're expecting to party the night away. Most people were in bed right after the show. This IS the resort for you if you want to relax and reconnect with your spouse/partner. It's truly beautiful here.

6 Thank MrsAK2009

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#56 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,690 reviews
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Catalonia Royal Tulum

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!