“Super Resort”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Oxford, England
“Super Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2007

Stayed at EDSS from 27 Mar - 11 Apr 07. We stayed AI and booked a Garden View Junior Suite. We were actually given a Swim-up Suite, which was wonderful, but spent most of our time on the beach, which whilst not the most perfect beach in the world, was naturally beautiful. Everyday we were treated to an over-flight of Pelicans and we loved feeding bread to the fish in the shallows. (There were some sharp rocks under foot in the shallows, worth taking some beach shoes with you). The other real bonus of the beach was the drinks waiter/waitress, who would keep you well supplied throughout the long day.
Food was generally excellent, if slightly bland on occasions. Highlights for us were the Garden Grill and the Italian. We took most of our lunches in the International Restaurant, where you could eat 'Al-a-Carte', from the buffet or order anything from the 'Sandwicherie' bar outside. The only real queues encountered were for the seating area outside, but if you were prepared to eat inside you went straight in and had access to more choice. Nothing was ever too much trouble for the staff who always met your requests with a 'can do' attitude.
The attention to detail throughout the resort was amazing, there were people everywhere ensuring the resort was kept in tip-top condition.
Any faults?? Well if I was being really picky, it would have been nice to have access to a snack bar in the evenings for those nights when you didn't fancy a full blown meal. (you could get room service for this, but it was slightly limited and wasn't served hot enough for our liking). Additionally the evening entertainment was generally limited and always ended rather abruptly, so people tended to drift away with a slightly confused 'is that it?' look on their faces!!
Overall though, a great resort. Will definitely return some day.

• Liked — Roomy and comfortable
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank JMel
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 27, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Sensimar Seaside Suites & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,239)
  • Polish first
zoe_jak
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2007

My husband and I chose El Dorado Seside for our Honeymoon because it was non-smoking, adults only, and all inclusive. We had read a few bad things about this resort and found None to be true.

The staff was much more proficient in the English language than I expected and were extremely helpful and polite. Every request that we had was immediately provided for.

The only complaint I could come up with is that I wish there had been more choices on the room service menu. But, the food at the restaurants was so great, that we often chose to go out, instead.

I wouldn't call the food in the restaurant "gourmet", but it was delicious. I usually put salt and pepper on almost all of my food, but found no need to here. I didn't even notice until the last day that there were no shakers on the table.

Bottom line, this resort is great. Anyone who complains is used to having their A$$ kissed far too often. I simply enjoyed the food and fun.

• Liked — Great staff and friendly service.
  • Disliked — Slight inconvenience with room service and dinner reservations.
9 Thank zoe_jak

DAVENTRY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2007

On Arriva at the Hotel we was given a nice cold glass of Champagne and then we booked in.This was easy and only took us 3or 4 mins and then taken by a Club Car to our Room.We found the room in a very good condition and could not as far as we are concerned asked for better Accomodation,it was perfect.We went to the concierge and was given a very warm welcome and made our dinner resevations for the duration of our two weeks holidays and was given all the information that was required for our own use.The food was excellent and the presentation was fantastic as there was no lack of effert spared.The service on the whole was more than what we expected and the staff just could not do enough for you they made the holiday complete.I would say to all of those that have made complaints about this or any other holiday hotel or location To STAY AT HOME AND STOP MOANING.

• Liked — the room lay out and view
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
10 Thank BRYANDAVENTRY

Belle Cote, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2007

I will start off with the 'bad' and work my way to the 'good' parts of the resort and the trip (keep in mind while reading the bad that despite there being a couple items in there we LOVED the resort and would go back in a heartbeat).

The Bad

- Water Issues -
Three times during our stay the water simply stopped. We had read that there was sometimes issues with hot water so this was not really a surprise and all three times it resolved itself within 30 mins etc, but had we been getting ready for a wedding or some other event (my wife and I are never in a rush to go anywhere when on vacation so it did not bug us ;)) this would have been a pretty frustrating issue to deal with.

- Construction -
During the day there was a fair amount of noise in our room as they were refinishing one of the rooms upstairs from us. Not a huge deal, but we did duck back for a quick nap a couple of times and were forced to go sleep on a beach bed instead because of the noise (awww.. poor us, had to sleep out in the beautiful hot tropical weather, pity us, pity us =P).

- Closures -
The resort was renovating one of the restaurants constantly during our stay and as a result one was always closed. For most of our time their it was the Asian that was closed, though that switched to the Italian our last day. This pretty much meant we could only try the Asian the last day, which is too bad, because as you will read below it was probably the one we enjoyed the most.

- The MAN -
The management presence we saw while we were there was mind-blowing. I am sure the dictator-like management was in no small part due to the increased number of negative review the resort has had since it expansion (and also due to the presence of a very visible gentlemen that I strongly suspect was a senior member of Karisma resorts) but wow.. they were really over the top. The managers were just riding the staff to the point that my wife and I both felt a/ bad for the staff and b/ uncomfortable. I am not sure if anyone else cared/noticed but it really bothered me to see the staff getting crapped on for even the smallest thing. To give you an example, my water glass was empty, one of the managers came over literally 5 seconds after I took the last drink and asked me if I had asked for it not to be filled because he was literally looking for something to crap on the waiter for. It was really over the top.

- The Trip Home -
We had to leave. This was the worst part, by far. There was nothing wrong with our departure mind you, just the simple fact that we could not remain in this paradise for the rest of our days. Truly heartbreaking.

The Good

- Food -
The restaurants were EXCELLENT. My wife and I did not really enjoy the International, but other than that we loved the food. The Asian and Mexican in particular were OUTSTANDING as was the lunch menu.

- Service-
The staff were outstanding. We had read that the maids didn't clean the rooms every day, service was slow etc etc etc. Honestly, the only thing I can POSSIBLY think about these comments is that those people did not tip. I profess to being a heavy tipper (to the point of being over the top) which no doubt influenced my experience and I realize that tipping should not be -required- to get good service but I can say definitively that our service was impeccable. The maids were, quite literally, waiting outside our room for us to go to breakfast to clean our room. When we got the restaurants, we had waiters fighting over whose section we would sit in. It was very flattering.

- Facilities-
The pictures do NO justice for how beautiful this resort is. The grounds are nothing shy of astonishing and the rooms were well appointed and very modern (flat panel 36" tvs, dvd players, jacuzzis. When we first walked into our room, there were flowers and towel-animals everywhere along with a bottle of chilled champaign, a friendly, hand signed, welcome message and a drawn bubble-bath jacuzzi. Everywhere you went around the resort you could feel and see the attention to detail. It really was wonderful.

- Environment -
While the beach was far from ideal for swimming (anything beyond 3 feet of water was had a rocky bottom), the environment was ideal for pretty much any other activity. The snorkelling was phenomenal. I wish I had had a better underwater camera on the trip as some of the reefs and fish-schools were breathtaking. We saw tons of other people taking part in Kayaking and deep see fishing as well, though being the lazy beach-slugs we are we only enjoyed those activities vicariously. The resort and environment was extremely quiet (we found this resort even more quiet than Secrets Excellent which is saying something) so it is important to note that this is NOT the resort to go to for night life/drunken debauchery. A person looking for a night-life would be VERY disappointed with this resort and would be a pretty substantial drive from any town.

Overall, this resort was paradise. There were some minor issues as you can see, but honestly, other than the task-master management none of it was significant enough to bother us. I would certainly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing escape from reality. The only resort my wife and I have been to that we enjoyed more was Secrets Excellent and EDSS was over $1000 cheaper .

• Liked — The grounds. The pictures do them NO justice
  • Disliked — The management. They were draconian to the staff.
19 Thank Ronnrhon
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 28, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

We also value your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2007

we stayed at EDSS in April, this is the best place we have ever been, the rooms are spotless, the service was exceptional, the food 5 star. I did read lots of bad reviews before going and was slightly worried, i do not know what these people expect from a holiday. The staff bend over backwards to help you and make you feel really welcolme, even if you dont tip them. the resort is kept immaculate, and is very pleasing to the eye. the rooms are spaceous and kept very clean, Jacuzzis in every room is a nice touch. All the resturants were very good and i am a very fussy eater! the beach beds are great, even if you do have to get up early to bag one, some people are selfish and leave a towel on the beds all day but only use it for a short time. All in all i havent a bad word to say about EDSS.

• Liked — beach beds
  • Disliked — coming home
9 Thank nikki19London

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2007

We came back from this resort last Thursday (17th). The rooms are as everyone says--lovely. We were going to upgrade to a swim-up room upon arrival, but after seeing our room we decided not to bother pay the extra 400.0 since our room was great!.

I agree that the water pressure is low, but at least it is hot which makes things ok. The beach and the grounds are impeccable and the beach beds are AMAZING!

The service is ok--had to wait a loooooonnnnnggg time for dinner and could never get a spoon with my tea or coffee. The room service menu is a good send ( I will explain why in a minute).

We went to Tulum and Playa Del Carmen, We had read other reviews about taking the public bus so we tried it--it was great!!. It cost us $2 to go to Playa, the bus was safe and quick and we spent a great day there. Same for Tulum. The bus cost $3, entry was $8 and we had no problem. Upon return to the hotel we spoke to another couple who paid 100!!! to do the same thing with a hotel tour.

If you want a hotel with a night life DO NOT go here. There is NOTHING to do at night and the music in the day by the pool is pretty dry, The animacion team do try hard however and are very nice.

The worst part of our trip was the food. It was terrible. They had gourmet this and gourmet that none of which had flavour or taste. I finally got fed up and asked a chef if he would eat this stuff. He said no. So I told him "good, make we what you would eat' and he did!! Then I was ok.

• Liked — Impeccable
13 Thank tsahai85

Virginia Beach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2007

My wife and I just returned from spending four days at the El Dorado. I had scoured Trip Advisor prior to our vacation and was fairly well informed or so I thought. Some of the reviews made me approch the vacation with a 'cleats up' attitude. I expected to be followed by staff seeking tips for every little thing that happened. I heard the food was good, but anticipated otherwise. To say I was surprised is the understatement of the year! The staff could not have been nicer. We were not solicited to take side trips or visit timeshares etc. We received a flyer in the door about visiting the other property and shop nearby, but absolutely no pressure of any kind. Our request for a second floor room after check in was promptly accommodated. The personal concierge is interesting but not really necessary. Everyone is more than helpful here. The beach is gorgeous with great snorkeling. The grounds are immaculate throughout with no car traffic to spoil the serenity. Restaurants were a very pleasant surprise too. Someone spends a lot of time training staff at the restaurants and it shows. I bet most guests did not realiize that their dishes were served and removed from different sides of the setting. Food presentation and quality were extra special as well. Needless to say, my cleats came down shortly after we arrived and we both thoroughly enjoyed our visit. The competition for tourists must be very keen in the area and El Dorado does a great job of earning the business. We wish we didn't have to leave!

• Liked — I didn't feel like a tourist.
  • Disliked — That I had only a four day visit.
8 Thank Cam_Pete

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#56 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
El Dorado Seaside Suites
#98 of 388 in Riviera Maya
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!