“Fantastic Could Not Be Better”

El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 25, 2007

On Arriva at the Hotel we was given a nice cold glass of Champagne and then we booked in.This was easy and only took us 3or 4 mins and then taken by a Club Car to our Room.We found the room in a very good condition and could not as far as we are concerned asked for better Accomodation,it was perfect.We went to the concierge and was given a very warm welcome and made our dinner resevations for the duration of our two weeks holidays and was given all the information that was required for our own use.The food was excellent and the presentation was fantastic as there was no lack of effert spared.The service on the whole was more than what we expected and the staff just could not do enough for you they made the holiday complete.I would say to all of those that have made complaints about this or any other holiday hotel or location To STAY AT HOME AND STOP MOANING.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
10  Thank BRYANDAVENTRY
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Sensimar Seaside Suites & Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (8,905)

Reviewed April 24, 2007

I will start off with the 'bad' and work my way to the 'good' parts of the resort and the trip (keep in mind while reading the bad that despite there being a couple items in there we LOVED the resort and would go back in a heartbeat).

The Bad

- Water Issues -
Three times during our stay the water simply stopped. We had read that there was sometimes issues with hot water so this was not really a surprise and all three times it resolved itself within 30 mins etc, but had we been getting ready for a wedding or some other event (my wife and I are never in a rush to go anywhere when on vacation so it did not bug us ;)) this would have been a pretty frustrating issue to deal with.

- Construction -
During the day there was a fair amount of noise in our room as they were refinishing one of the rooms upstairs from us. Not a huge deal, but we did duck back for a quick nap a couple of times and were forced to go sleep on a beach bed instead because of the noise (awww.. poor us, had to sleep out in the beautiful hot tropical weather, pity us, pity us =P).

- Closures -
The resort was renovating one of the restaurants constantly during our stay and as a result one was always closed. For most of our time their it was the Asian that was closed, though that switched to the Italian our last day. This pretty much meant we could only try the Asian the last day, which is too bad, because as you will read below it was probably the one we enjoyed the most.

- The MAN -
The management presence we saw while we were there was mind-blowing. I am sure the dictator-like management was in no small part due to the increased number of negative review the resort has had since it expansion (and also due to the presence of a very visible gentlemen that I strongly suspect was a senior member of Karisma resorts) but wow.. they were really over the top. The managers were just riding the staff to the point that my wife and I both felt a/ bad for the staff and b/ uncomfortable. I am not sure if anyone else cared/noticed but it really bothered me to see the staff getting crapped on for even the smallest thing. To give you an example, my water glass was empty, one of the managers came over literally 5 seconds after I took the last drink and asked me if I had asked for it not to be filled because he was literally looking for something to crap on the waiter for. It was really over the top.

- The Trip Home -
We had to leave. This was the worst part, by far. There was nothing wrong with our departure mind you, just the simple fact that we could not remain in this paradise for the rest of our days. Truly heartbreaking.

The Good

- Food -
The restaurants were EXCELLENT. My wife and I did not really enjoy the International, but other than that we loved the food. The Asian and Mexican in particular were OUTSTANDING as was the lunch menu.

- Service-
The staff were outstanding. We had read that the maids didn't clean the rooms every day, service was slow etc etc etc. Honestly, the only thing I can POSSIBLY think about these comments is that those people did not tip. I profess to being a heavy tipper (to the point of being over the top) which no doubt influenced my experience and I realize that tipping should not be -required- to get good service but I can say definitively that our service was impeccable. The maids were, quite literally, waiting outside our room for us to go to breakfast to clean our room. When we got the restaurants, we had waiters fighting over whose section we would sit in. It was very flattering.

- Facilities-
The pictures do NO justice for how beautiful this resort is. The grounds are nothing shy of astonishing and the rooms were well appointed and very modern (flat panel 36" tvs, dvd players, jacuzzis. When we first walked into our room, there were flowers and towel-animals everywhere along with a bottle of chilled champaign, a friendly, hand signed, welcome message and a drawn bubble-bath jacuzzi. Everywhere you went around the resort you could feel and see the attention to detail. It really was wonderful.

- Environment -
While the beach was far from ideal for swimming (anything beyond 3 feet of water was had a rocky bottom), the environment was ideal for pretty much any other activity. The snorkelling was phenomenal. I wish I had had a better underwater camera on the trip as some of the reefs and fish-schools were breathtaking. We saw tons of other people taking part in Kayaking and deep see fishing as well, though being the lazy beach-slugs we are we only enjoyed those activities vicariously. The resort and environment was extremely quiet (we found this resort even more quiet than Secrets Excellent which is saying something) so it is important to note that this is NOT the resort to go to for night life/drunken debauchery. A person looking for a night-life would be VERY disappointed with this resort and would be a pretty substantial drive from any town.

Overall, this resort was paradise. There were some minor issues as you can see, but honestly, other than the task-master management none of it was significant enough to bother us. I would certainly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing escape from reality. The only resort my wife and I have been to that we enjoyed more was Secrets Excellent and EDSS was over $1000 cheaper .

19  Thank Ronnrhon
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

We also value your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

Reviewed April 24, 2007

we stayed at EDSS in April, this is the best place we have ever been, the rooms are spotless, the service was exceptional, the food 5 star. I did read lots of bad reviews before going and was slightly worried, i do not know what these people expect from a holiday. The staff bend over backwards to help you and make you feel really welcolme, even if you dont tip them. the resort is kept immaculate, and is very pleasing to the eye. the rooms are spaceous and kept very clean, Jacuzzis in every room is a nice touch. All the resturants were very good and i am a very fussy eater! the beach beds are great, even if you do have to get up early to bag one, some people are selfish and leave a towel on the beds all day but only use it for a short time. All in all i havent a bad word to say about EDSS.

9  Thank nikki19London

Reviewed April 23, 2007

We came back from this resort last Thursday (17th). The rooms are as everyone says--lovely. We were going to upgrade to a swim-up room upon arrival, but after seeing our room we decided not to bother pay the extra 400.0 since our room was great!.

I agree that the water pressure is low, but at least it is hot which makes things ok. The beach and the grounds are impeccable and the beach beds are AMAZING!

The service is ok--had to wait a loooooonnnnnggg time for dinner and could never get a spoon with my tea or coffee. The room service menu is a good send ( I will explain why in a minute).

We went to Tulum and Playa Del Carmen, We had read other reviews about taking the public bus so we tried it--it was great!!. It cost us $2 to go to Playa, the bus was safe and quick and we spent a great day there. Same for Tulum. The bus cost $3, entry was $8 and we had no problem. Upon return to the hotel we spoke to another couple who paid 100!!! to do the same thing with a hotel tour.

If you want a hotel with a night life DO NOT go here. There is NOTHING to do at night and the music in the day by the pool is pretty dry, The animacion team do try hard however and are very nice.

The worst part of our trip was the food. It was terrible. They had gourmet this and gourmet that none of which had flavour or taste. I finally got fed up and asked a chef if he would eat this stuff. He said no. So I told him "good, make we what you would eat' and he did!! Then I was ok.

13  Thank tsahai85

Reviewed April 22, 2007

My wife and I just returned from spending four days at the El Dorado. I had scoured Trip Advisor prior to our vacation and was fairly well informed or so I thought. Some of the reviews made me approch the vacation with a 'cleats up' attitude. I expected to be followed by staff seeking tips for every little thing that happened. I heard the food was good, but anticipated otherwise. To say I was surprised is the understatement of the year! The staff could not have been nicer. We were not solicited to take side trips or visit timeshares etc. We received a flyer in the door about visiting the other property and shop nearby, but absolutely no pressure of any kind. Our request for a second floor room after check in was promptly accommodated. The personal concierge is interesting but not really necessary. Everyone is more than helpful here. The beach is gorgeous with great snorkeling. The grounds are immaculate throughout with no car traffic to spoil the serenity. Restaurants were a very pleasant surprise too. Someone spends a lot of time training staff at the restaurants and it shows. I bet most guests did not realiize that their dishes were served and removed from different sides of the setting. Food presentation and quality were extra special as well. Needless to say, my cleats came down shortly after we arrived and we both thoroughly enjoyed our visit. The competition for tourists must be very keen in the area and El Dorado does a great job of earning the business. We wish we didn't have to leave!

8  Thank Cam_Pete

Reviewed April 21, 2007

We stayed at the EDSSS April 10-16, 2007. Last year, we stayed at one
of the sister properties, the El Dorado Royale. We enjoyed our stay there very much, but since we were traveling during spring break this
year, we wanted something a little smaller and more out of the way. We were not disappointed.

First, let me start off by saying that what makes this place so spectacular is the employees. They are friendly, and go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Most speak fairly good english. Another reviewer commented that employees seemed to "expect tips". I did not find that to be the case. In most packages, tips are included so I don't believe they even really expect tips. BUT, we did tip our waiters for dinner and our daily housekeeper. I feel tipping is appropriate when service is exceptional...and it was.

We stayed in one of the newer swim up rooms. No complaints there. The room was large, comfortable and clean. Water temp in the bathroom
seems to change randomly, so watch out for that.

Bring more cash than you think you will need. There is no ATM at the resort. We went to Playa Del Carmen for an ATM which is a 20 minute taxi ride at $18 USD +/- each way.

The food was fantastic. We like to eat earlier in the evening, so rather than chance getting stuck with late reservations, our travel agent made our dinner reservations for us before we left. There are 5 restaurants for dinner, only one doesn't require reservations...
Vida Garden. The food here was really good. We also enjoyed the mexican restaurant and the asian. Room service was quick and also very tasty.

Alot of people commented that it was difficult to find beach beds unless you get one early in the day. While this was true at the beach, there were always beach beds that stayed empty all day near the swim up rooms. If you're not picky about where your beach bed is, try by the pool.

This is important....the tile that is used on the patio of the swim up rooms and inside the room is surprising slick. Also, if it rains,
there is tile around the resort that also becomes slick. That would probably be my only complaint. I am young and in good shape and fell 3 times, hubby fell once, and I saw at least two other people slip and fall. So watch your step or bring shoes with traction.

We had a great vacation here. The El Dorado (Karisma resorts) chain has a reputation for being upscale and they do not disappoint. No buffets, no wristbands....it's all very nice. Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
11  Thank msmae78

Reviewed April 21, 2007

This resort has gone to timeshares. They called it something else but it wasn't. The "concierge" was supposed to schedule dinner for you at the restaurants but he spent his time selling you a timeshare.

It was a hassle. There was a huge hassle factor at this place. The restaurants were ok, some better than others. A buffet would have been a nice alternative. This place was too expensive to have terrible food in their restaurants.

Our living room ceiling started falling down and they asked us to move and refused to upgrade our room even though they did not have a comparable room. They offered to buy us dinner on the beach ($60. 00 us) but it was really pretty bad and the house wine is salty. The beer flowed freely but the mixed drinks were terrible.

We will not be returning to this property. Too many hassles and not enough of "the customer is always right" attitude.

Too expensive for what you get in return. And there was NO BEACH. NO Beach! there was one a little ways down but the water was too shallow to swim there.

47  Thank jac1446
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2016

Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we want to assure you that all your comments are welcomed and a key part of the improvement of our resort. We are truly sorry to hear you experienced any inconvenience during your stay, we are a 5 star rated resort so we are disheartened to hear your recent stay was not reflecting it.

We would like to invite you to contact our Head of Customer Services at customerservices@karismamexico.com so that we can review your feedback together and to assure you this is not the standard of our hotel, we will be glad to host you again in our hotel or any resort by Karisma to surpass any past experience.

Best Regards,

#1 of 489 in Riviera Maya
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!