“In one word...... WOW!!”

El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
SLC, UT
“In one word...... WOW!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2005

My husband and I joined our newlywed friends on their honeymoon September 23rd - the 28th. We had a wonderful time! We met some wonderful people here, some of which we really hope to keep in touch with.

*I've tried to put headings on the topics so you can just scroll down to what you're interested in.

*1st impression:
After what seemed like an eternal flight (4 1/2 hours) and a 1 hour drive from the airport, I was soooo ready to just relax. From the moment we walked into the hotel they did everything they could to accomplish that for us! The lobby was an air-conditioned haven, full of some kind of cinnamon pouporri scent. We were seated and given an ice cold glass of champagne and an ice cold towel to wipe our face and neck. After check-in we made our dinner reservations, then they whisked us off in a golf cart to our Ocean Front Jacuzzi Room (#2511). It was beautiful!! It was very clean and elegant with flowers and petals all over the bed and tub.

*Dining:
The Asian Restaurant was our first stop. I was delighted by almost everything we tried the two times we ate here. Just one note.. for those of you who are Sushi lovers and looking forward to all-you-can-eat sushi... don't. This was actually the one thing I was dissapointed by. The sushi consists of your basic rolls and is pretty bland. Try it, of course but I wasn't impressed. Everything else here was wonderful!
The Mexican Restaurant was really good, but it's not your average authentic mexican food. It's really a lot of jazzed up, elegant versions of some of the things you may like.
Arricefes is the International Restaurant, and was actually my favorite. Great food and a variety.

*Drinking:
YUM YUM YUM. OK Seriously, I'm not a big alchohol drinker, only on special occasions, but there's something about not having to pay for it and having it whenever you want it, that makes it very appealing. The "Swing Bar" was a ton of fun, but after a few drinks you could be left wondering "Why on earth would they surround a bar of all things with swings?!" =0)

*Activities:
Do it all! Take advantage of the snorkeling, kayaking, and paddle boats. In addition, the have a board by the main pool that lists everything you can do for the day. Scuba lessons, water areobics, volleyball, and also a list of what's happening at the lounge at night. Also, paint something at the little painter's hut. We didn't and we regret it. It would have been so nice to paint a plate there and put it up in our kitchen as a momento. But it takes 1 day for the glaze to dry so when we went to do it we didn't have time before we left.

*The staff:
Very nice! Willing to make you happy!
$Tipping: O.K. we had to do a bit of learning on this one. My advice, take some money in $1 bills and.... DO: Tip your cleaning person. Leave them a little something each morning. They take good care of the rooms.
GUYS.. If you want more Tecate in your mini-fridge leave them a note and a $5 bill. DO: Tip room service. DO: Tip your bellboy. As far as the rest goes ... Remember names. Tip those who made your stay most pleasant a lump sum at the end of your stay. They will be grateful. DONT: worry about tipping for every single drink at the bar, but DO tip a dollar or two if they bring it out to the bed or a chair by the pool.

Find the entertainment guys. Learn their names and have a drink with them. They are an absolute blast!!

*The smell:
I've seen this topic come up in prior reviews and I'm still not sure what the fuss is all about. There is a sulphuric smell OCCASIONALLY, but they leave a card in your room explaining what it is... and this is it.........
When you come into the hotel, and when you fly over you'll notice that everything is surrounded by this intensely dense brush. You almost can't even fathom how anyone could walk through it. This is what causes the smell. They call it "Mangroves" and the hotel does everything they can to preserve them and the rest of the environment because of it's importance to the wildlife and the natural habitat.

*The Beach
It is not fine, soft sand. It is coarse and a bit rocky. Please, Please wear some kind of water shoes before venturing out to swim. The beach is right on a coral reef and that stuff is sharp! I had the displeasure of getting some pretty bad coral scrapes. IF YOU get a coral scrape, scrub the heck out of it and rinse with the bottled water in your room (not in the shower) and put some antibiotic ointment on it. I didn't do it to mine until I got home and read about it on WebMD. By then it was a very itchy cluster of red bumps because some of the soft matter on the coral can get into the scrape.

*Leaving the hotel:
Anytime you want to they are happy to call you a cab. If you visit with other couples and find that you want to go somewhere the same day, share a cab. It makes it like $10 per couple to get to Playa del Carmen for shopping. Do that for sure. Go shopping there. We had so much fun. There are so many shops there. But be warned, the shop people bombard you and will continue to do so until you are out of earshot.
Also, if you go to the travel office outside the lobby, you will find that it is $90 to rent a Jeep for a day if you are interested. But beware the drivers are crazy!

Dolphins: While we were here we also swam with the Dolphins at Puerto Aventuras. If you do this here is something you need to know. If you want a DVD of your experience, it's $50 to buy, pictures are $12-$15 per picture.

Deep Sea Fishing: My husband and his friend had a great time! His wife and I hung over the side of the boat with the worst sickness I have ever felt. If you are prone to motion sickness at all I do not recommend taking this trip without Dramamine. My husband is not prone to motion sickness at all and he even said he wished he had taken some.

*In closing...
That's all folks. Hope this review was helpful. All in all we had a wonderful time and made some great memories! This hotel was well worth it and we will go back for sure!!! Remember before you go... You are in Mexico. DONT drink the water, DONT expect anyone outside the hotel to speak very good English, DO learn some basic Spanish before and during the trip and DO have a great time!!!

44 Thank Ladybug0812
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, November 23, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We also appreciate your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Sensimar Seaside Suites & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,240)
  • Polish first
Greenville, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2005

We were at El Dorado Seaside from Sept 25th-29th 2005. I will try to put into words what a most Un..Believable good time we had at this most Un..Believable resort. We arrived to the Hotel at around 2:30 taking the shuttle ride from the airport. We were the first of 2 drop offs in our van. It took just under an hour. We were greeted by the staff with champaign and a cool towel. The lobby is for loss of better words.. awesome, its very comfortable. There is no waiting in line at a counter to check-in, just relaxing in comfy chairs with a nice drink. Before I could use the restroom and finish my drink they had our room ready. We were in 3712 which is toward the end of the resort. We could see the ocean from our second floor room. I think we were one of the few rooms on the 2nd floor with an ocean view (there is a building in front of most of our building). The rooms below had the swim up suites which looked nice but I think we enjoyed our view just as well. This is one of the newer buildings. It is not directly Ocean front. It is one of the few (maybe the only) with 3 floors so you still have the view from the top floor in all the rooms.
Now the room... WOW! It actually looked like the pictures we drooled over on their website. We had a Jacuzzi suite, it was inside the room. When we arrived to the room, we had fresh fruit, bottle of champaign and the jacuzzi filled with bubble bath. Now that is a warm welcome! It is our 10yr anniversary - Have your travel agent let them know, b/c you do get the special treatment advertised. I brought my marriage license, because I was sure they would want proof. But she wouldn't let me show it. She said they already had all the info that was necessary. She said "My travel agent was on top of everything".. thanks Linda Long Travel!
We had power, hot water, excellent water pressure our entire stay. The jacuzzi actually got TOO hot. The shower was GREAT too! It was 4ft by 5ft with the detachable shower head. It was all marble all the way to the 9ft ceilings. When you've got to use the restroom in the middle of the night don't bother searching for the light in the seperate toilet area.. they are motion activated! Its the little luxuries that make this place incredible.
Now the Beach...It was like sitting in a postcard. It was beautiful. I've read complaints of the "rocky beach", don't believe them. There is a coral reef right in front of the hotel, so in the water there are rocks, coral and such. So DO take beach shoes. You can go in the water and walk around without them but it's much more enjoyable with them. But as far as the beach goes, it's not what I would call "rocky". It isn't fine sand, its more little tiny bits of crushed coral which you can walk on without shoes. I liked the feel on my feet. I can go to any beach in the US and walk on just sand. This was really neat, fine white bits of coral that were really cool. We liked it so much, we brought a bag home with us. So embrace the difference and have another drink.
Which brings me to the drinks... Excellent! Perhaps one of my favorite parts of the trip was looking out at this postcard like picture in front of me... white beach, crystal water, palm tree and Angel the most excellent and attentive beach waiter known to man. The beer was cold and served with a lime and the mixed drinks were top shelf. The wait staff at lunch was alway s fun. Make friends with your fellow guest.. just send over a round of Tequilla boom boom's.. Andrew and the other waiters will take care of the rest.
Which brings me to the food.... Gourmet Presentation- and it tasted as good as it looked. We ate breakfast each day outside next to the bar area overlooking the ocean. The view alone was good enough to satisfy you. I loved all the Mexican breakfast dishes. My wife had the more traditional menu items - like pancakes, belgium waffels and the like. They have a breakfast buffet if you're in a hurry to eat, but we enjoyed kicking back enjoying the view and having a leisurely breakfast.
We ate lunch each day there outside or had Angel bring us something to eat on the beach.
For dinner we had the Mexican resteraunt one night which was good. Our favorite was the Asian. if you can eat with chopsticks, good, if not, don't be afraid to ask for a fork, it is not brought out otherwise. I wish I'd ordered more Sushi is my only regret. Our last night we had the moonlight dinner on the beach. My wife had the lobster (which she is going to kill me for posting the picture of it). I had the beef which was really good. She thought the lobster was good too. It was a perfect night- calm weather, perfect temp and the sound of the ocean. They have lamps for your table, so you will be able to see what your enjoying.(my wife is picky about eating where she can't see her food and she was fine) Beach dinner - I do recommend. Our other evening we spent in Playa del Carmen, which you defenitely need to check out. It was really a cool place with lots of resturants, bars and shopping. Next time we would like to spend a week at Edss and a few days in a hotel in Playa downtown!
Overall we had a great time. There is really no need to ever leave the resort during your stay, if you don't want to. We enjoyed the nightly entertainment and the dancing afterward. During the day, between the beach and the kayaks and the snorkeling and the great drinks, you'll need a nap in one of the beach beds.
Hurricane Damage.... Minimal at best. I could not tell that they had any damage other than half of the pier was washed out. They were repairing it while we were there.
Pools... Nice. I jumped in once. We spent our time at the beach. If I was a pool person they would of been perfect. You had your choice of a quiet one next to the spa or the activity one. Both had bars. Both had views of the ocean. Sounds like a good pool to me.
Our main purpose for this trip was to relax, enjoy each other, and remember that person that we fell in love with, without the daily worries around. We didn't want to tour, shop or sightsee....just relax.
The massage on the beach in the morning definetly helped us get a head start on the relaxing day on the beach - I defenitlely recommend it. Nothing like the sound of the ocean while a pair of talented hands massage away the stress of homelife that you've left behind. My wife had the mudwrap also which she really enjoyed. We tried to come up with something negative about the place while we were there, but were unsuccessful. Perhaps the beer was too cold and the palm tree to my right wasn't perfectly straight but I'll get over that.

Note: We read reviews before we booked this trip and tried to figure out what kind of people wrote them. Us: 32, married 10 yrs, 2 kids, professional (medical and sales) enjoy finer things but just as happy with a good burger. We are well traveled. We are not super picky, but we know good service and when to expect it. The other people around us seemed about the same. Their ages ranging from 22 to 50's, and I bet their review would be similar. Hope that helps.

I could go on and on.... and we were only there for 4 days. Go. Relax. Have Fun. Tell Angel I said "Hola, Cerveza and a Chi Chi for the senorita".... man, I miss him.

Stayed September 2005
34 Thank chichi_cerveza

Sacramento
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2005

My fiance and I felt like we needed to do justice to EDSS. We both are very particular about the ratings of the hotels we stay at during our vacation. This was our 2nd trip to Riviera Maya, and we both concluded that EDSS definitely deserves it. From the time that we arrived we were just so amazed of the ambience of the hotel. We arrived night, the lighting is set dim(everywhere) and the entire lobby was delicously scented(think of cinnamon potpurri) just like you walked in to a spa to set the mood. We were greeted by the staff with champagne while waiting for our room. You stroll around the facility and hear relaxing music and french lamps to light your path. It is a lovers paradise! If you are looking for romance, rekindle your relationship or even just for rest and relaxation, then this is the place to be! It is not a party central as to the nature of this hotel is romance. If you want to party, go to Cancun. At night they have a variety of shows, followed by live music mostly romantic,carribean,reggea,etc, then DJ until about 2am at the lounge. You can just even lay on one of the beach beds while enjoying the music. THE FOOD WAS EXCELLENT! 5+ star!!! Our room was made everyday with fresh towels. Service was excellent. We did not at all regret tipping the employees daily since it was well deserved. Yes, part of the beach is rocky due to the coral reefs(take the free snorkel and kayak tour to see the beatiful fishes). Bring beach sandals. Otherwise, if you go down toward the end of the resort the sand was more fine and swimable. The waves are very gentle due to the reefs. You can walk about 1 mile out and the waters are still shallow.

33 Thank geebebi

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2005

WE HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS!!!! September 2005

Here it was our honeymoon, just wanting to relax once we finally got there and they tell us our room isn't ready. So they sent us to get something to eat while we waited, only to end up waiting till 6pm.

We get to our room only to find it was totally not what we paid for. I went all out because of the honeymoon thing, you know ocean front jacuzzi room, only to find they stuck us in the back with two queen size beds while they are renovating right next door!

Here I am a constructing manager trying to enjoy my honeymoon vacation and I am awakened every morning by hammering sounds till dusk lying on the beach.

Everyday I would walk through the lobby and see someone else crying because they too got screwed on the room they paid for.

I am a complete reasonable person, tried to talk to the hotel staff but they didn't give a crap. I at least wanted them to adjust the price I paid for and what I ended up staying in, but they didn't. I had to contact the travel agency who then contacted the wholesaler and got everything squared away for me.

So all in all, this place could be great if your fired the management staff and gave them some better class that respect their quest. After all you are in the customer service business!

46 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 28, 2016
Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we want to assure you that all your comments are welcomed and a key part of the improvement of our resort. We are truly sorry to hear you experienced any inconvenience during your stay, we are a 5 star rated resort so we are disheartened to hear your recent stay was not reflecting it.

We would like to invite you to contact our Head of Customer Services at customerservices@karismamexico.com so that we can review your feedback together and to assure you this is not the standard of our hotel, we will be glad to host you again in our hotel or any resort by Karisma to surpass any past experience.

adurre@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2005

We arrived at the El Dorado Seaside on July 14 and the first night and the next day were beautiful. However on the 16th they shut down two of the restaurants (which we never got to try) and only left the International restaurant open. They also took all the chairs up from around the beach and the hotel.

Then on the 17th we woke up, took a shower, and saw groups of people leaving--so we called the front desk and were told that the bus to the shelter was leaving in 5 minutes.

We didn't get to enjoy 3 days of our honeymoon--we spent them in the shelter and the airport. Yes, I know that it is not the hotel's fault that there was a hurricane. I know they can not control the weather, but we did pay for 3 days of our vacation that we did not receive and they refuse to compensate in *any* way at all. Funjet will not do anything either--we will never go through Funjet ever again. Funjet refused to help many other hotel guests get to the airport and left them alone to fend for themselves--horrible company.

The El Dorado Seaside seems like a nice place, but we'll never know.

• Stayed July 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 29, 2016

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2005

We just had our honeymoon at the Seaside Resorts and were a little apprehensive in the beginning beacuse the hotel opened up the very day we arrived (21 august 2005). It was apparent the Hurricane Emiliy had reeked serious damage on the resort - but they were working diligently to get things up and running. All the restarants, bars, pools, and beaches are up and running fabulous. Our room (in building 37) was just as advertised and we couldn't have asked for anything more. Most of the beachfront cottages were still empty - but they were making good progress. I would expect the resort to be at full capacity in a couple more weeks (if not sooner) - but even if you don't get an oceanfront room - it's still a very nice vacation. As for the staff of the hotel - they were top notch as well as the food. I think we spent way too much time at the Swing Bars - but what I remember of it - it was an excellent time. Be sure to try the Tequila Boom Boom! All and all, dont' let the fears of any residual hurricane damage steer you away from this lovely resort. The wonderful staff more than makes up for anything that's even slightly askew.

• Stayed August 2005
22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Oshawa, ON
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2005

When my wife and I arrived tired and looking forward to unwinding after our wedding......they sat us down with champagne and told us that our room was not ready.

Why? Our room was being renovated. Actually our whole block was being renovated. Unfortunately our travel agent and tour operator failed to share this with us when we booked in Jan. 2004 and before we left in April 2004.

As a result, we were placed on a nudist resort our first night (no jacuzzi and not our style). Our room was not ready till 5 pm the next day and our luggage stayed in the hotel lobby all day.

When we got to our room: no hot water, jacuzzi did not work, air conditioner stuck on 18C. All week construction activity took place near our room and we had problems with our room (i.e. water was shut off).

P.S. Spend money elsewhere.

Stayed April 2004
36 Thank Paul67Oshawa_ON

adurre@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#56 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 15,341 reviews

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!