“Beautiful! But Problems.....tacky ending June 24-July 5, 2005”

El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Providence, Rhode Island
“Beautiful! But Problems.....tacky ending June 24-July 5, 2005”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2005

What a gorgeous resort! We reserved the Anniversary Package - The "free" 20 minute massage is actually just a 20 minute soak in a jacuzzi, (hydromassage). The resort seemed just what my husband and I were looking for, except the beach is not for swimming. (ok for snorkeling-but never even gets waist deep, and very rocky).
Breakfast and Asian restaurant were great! - the others just ok if that. Restaurant service was not good. Servers acted like we were bothering them if we asked for anything, but he beach waiters were fantastic....Massage and Reiki were great! Loved the beach beds. And there were enough of them.
The resort charges $15.00/day for internet access, $21.00 for 3 days but they don't tell you it must be CONSECUTIVE days for that rate. (leading to arguements over our bill) . We found it very aggravating and inconvenient to have to go to the desk every day for dinner reservations - they will not allow you to do it by phone. They tell you its because they have to give you a reservation ticket, but no one collects it. We never kept to our reserved time anyway, and it was never a problem. We stayed back at the resort one day to have the Spanish lessons they'd scheduled, but no one showed up to give them. The beach dinner was a waste for us, because I had told them my husband has seafood allergies and ordered the steak, but they gave us calamari salad and seafood soup, and said that's all you get with the beach dinner. (although the lobster i ordered was great! - they charge $30.00 for the lobster).
The biggest problem was with the housekeeping. Its the worst I've ever seen anywhere- our pillows were left on the floor when they made the bed, resort bathrobes were left thrown over the tv, no towels or soap, etc.. Garbage was not emptied for 3 days, the mirror wasn't cleaned for 5 days. Our room (3118) was beautiful but we paid extra for the Jacuzzi suite - were unable to use the jacuzzi for the first 3 days because it was so filthy and we could not get anyone to come clean it. We found a bird nest in the jacuzzi canopy, so It had not been cleaned in quite some time. Also, old cigarette butts were on the balcony when we arrived. Francisco is the Manager of Operations and he took care of everything but housekeeping is SLOW to respond. ( i mean days). The beach was not cleaned for a few days, and empty glasses and piles of cigarette butts were left there all day for 3 days. The lightbulb on the stairs to our room burned out, and I requested it be replaced every day for 4 days. It still hadn't been when we left. Actually, there were aggravating problems every day we were there (10 days).
Big problems with noise from the construction they are still doing, although we were assured in advance that construction had been completed. They blasted music all day and night (7 a.m. until 9:30 pm) to try to cover up the hammering, so loud that we couldn't hear our TV one night. We lost all power and water (hot and cold) one afternoon and evening but so did other resorts on the coast. That was not EDSS's fault - (But when we did have water, we never had problems with our water pressure).. The worst of it was when 4 intoxicated guests became vulgar and sexually verbally graphic in the pool and no one threw them out. They were trying to pick up some honeymooners for sex and described what they like to do. It was so bad that 6 couples just sat there staring, not believing what we were hearing and seeing. The bartender kept serving them and did nothing about this. We got phone and written messages every day from the sales people, (they call themselves the Concierge), trying to sell us weeks at the resort, even when we asked them to stop bothering us. Even worse, and VERY TACKY was that the resort called us when we got home, and said they had mistakenly undercharged us by $100.00 and asked us for more money! (We had paid in full a month in advance and had a receipt that said paid in full. !). Its such a beautiful place - just a shame that they can't seem to get it together with their staff. Make sure to check out XCaret. Its incredible! We floated down an underground river and saw the dinner show there, and loved it! Also the Tulum ruins are incredible, as well as the beach at the ruins.

13 Thank loribr
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 29, 2016
Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we want to assure you that all your comments are welcomed and a key part of the improvement of our resort. We are truly sorry to hear you experienced any inconvenience during your stay, we are a 5 star rated resort so we are disheartened to hear your recent stay was not reflecting it.

We would like to invite you to contact our Head of Customer Services at customerservices@karismamexico.com so that we can review your feedback together and to assure you this is not the standard of our hotel, we will be glad to host you again in our hotel or any resort by Karisma to surpass any past experience.

Sensimar Seaside Suites & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,240)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2005

we spent our honeymoon at ths resort, 7/3-711. i have to say it was amazing. it was money well spent. we splurged once in our lives and stayed in the casita suites. the swim up was beautiful. we were in it everyday. it is very secluded, very private. the food selection was excellent. we want to go back! Props to the staff as well! we were nervous wit reviews after we booked this with our agent but after experiencing it ourselves, im glad we did.. it was a vacation to remember. we WOULD DEF GO BACK AGAIN.

ROGER AND DELIA

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, November 23, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2005

Stayed July 7-11. My girlfriend and I just got back from El Dorado Seaside Suites. It was a very beautiful and relaxing place to be. When we arrived we were greeted with champaign and cold towels. The lady at the front desk upgraded our room without us even asking for it. No extra charge. We had a Oceanfront Jacuzzi Suite. The room was beautiful. Had no proplem with water pressure or hot water. We ran the Jacuzzi very hot and the shower at the same time and had no problem. I though the beach was relaxing but could have been a lot better. It was rocky and very shallow. The sand was not like the powder sand beaches at Cancun. But we had a great time for I'm not a deep water person anyway. Like one of the reviews below, I thought the one beer selection was a joke, even for all inclusive. Went to Mexico and couldn't even drink a Corona. Only XX draft. At the restraunt I finally asked for other beer and they hand the Corona rip off Da Sol. The restruants were nice and the food was O.k. The Asian restraunt had the best food in my opinion. The food was hot and actually had flavor. It is Mexico. Cold food and hot beer. The burgers at the bar were good. Didn't like the fact you could only eat at one restraunt for lunch. The International restraunt was the only one open for lunch and you had to make a reservation for the restraunt of your choice at night. We ate at a different restraunt each night and then our favorite on our last night. I was expecting more Mexican Style food at the Mexican restraunt. We had a good time and it was beautiful room and grounds. We are easy to please and just glad everything ran smooth. I would probably try a different place next time closer to Playa De Carmen. I did go to Tulum and thought it was beautiful. It is a cheap trip and a must see. Take your camera with plenty of film because it is breath taking. If I went again I would have went on my on rather than with the bus trip. You have to pick people up at hotels and it takes some time. It only cost 4 bucks to get in when you get there. Cab ride couldn't be to much.

• Stayed July 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Oklahoma City, OK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2005

My Wife and were set up to go to the El Dorado for our honeymoon by a travel agent. I also had a few reservations due to some bad reviews I had read. I would like to write this review to tell those of you reading as accurately as I can so you can judge for yourself if you would like to vacation here.

We arrived late on June the 25th at the resort. I believe we got to the resort somewhere around 9pm. Walking into the lobby was pretty unbelievable. There is potpourri in the air system in there and there is a wonderful (although strong!) smell in the air. Since it was so late, we were the only ones getting a room at the time, so it literally only took us about 5 minutes to check in. We aren't drinkers, but they did give us the champagne also. The guy that checked us in then seemed to call someone to take us to our room but no one showed up. It was frustrating for a second, since we didn't know how to get to our room, but we asked someone else that was there (I think he was a manager of some sort) and he very quickly called someone that was extremely helpful and took us to our room right away.

The room was wonderful. It was hard to believe that within 10 minutes of arriving we were in our room. We called for room service right away as we were starving by this time. We continued to have a good experience the entire time we were there although it took us a couple of days to really realize the "all inclusive" bit. Its just hard to believe that it is all included, but it is and all was great. Here are the highlights as well as any complaints (which are very few).

Good things:
--The room was nice and clean and had a great view. We were in room 2004, which is a jr. ocean view. We think we had about the best location in the entire resort. We were a ways from the main lobby, but were very near the pool and international restaurant as well as the pier. Our room was also right next to the Logo Shop literally, so if we needed to get something over there, it was very easy.

--The food was wonderful. Don't plan to take room service all the time, as that menu is limited and you CAN get tired of it. Room service food is good though. The breakfast buffet at the international restaurant is incredible. I enjoyed several freshly made omelets in our time there. The fruit is great as well. We also enjoyed evening meals at the Mexican Restaurant and the Asian Restaurant. Another thing is, don't be shy to order several things. Remember this is all inclusive. The portions (especially in room service) is fairly small, so just tell them how many you want, and they will happily bring it to you. Room service was very clear as far as repeating orders back to us and such. We heard some complaints about the food, but everything was very good. Also remember you can go at any time to one of the bars and pick up a coke or whatever you want.

--Take advantage of the DVD collection. We didn't find a lot on tv, but it was nice that they had dvd's we could check out. Unfortunately I was sick on our last full day there, so we just enjoyed watching movies.

--The beach was great. I do not personally live near a beach and had heard complaints about theirs, but I thought it was fine. We didn't really swim much, but there was plenty of area to walk along and such and it was great to go play in the water out on the pier among the fishies.

--QUIET! We were pleased that they resort was nice and quiet. Sorry all you party people, you won't find the party crowd here. Most of the people at the resort were in their 40's or 50's, but we are in our 20's and enjoyed the lack of noise. We did have one day were the pool music was a bit loud, but I doubt any other rooms had that problem, simply because we were in the closed room to the main pool.

Complaints or improvements:
-- We lost power some on Saturday immediately after we got there, and apparently they do lose power frequently there, but we never experienced it being off for more than a minute or two and apparently there was a special case on Saturday that caused problems.

--We had water pressure problems that only really seemed to occur when we took showers! However, we really only had this problem Saturday night and again on Sunday. The rest of the week, we did alright, just be a bit prepared for it.

--Our biggest complaint of all though was the room cleaning. While the guide that you are given tells you that room cleaning begins at 8 am, we never had anyone clean our room til 3 or 4 in the afternoon. It was very inconvenient to not know when they would clean. While I know some people do indeed go to this resort to primarily hang out on the beach, i'm sure a vast majority spend a lot of time in their rooms, and not knowing when to get out is kind of rotten. Also, on our first full day there, someone came and knocked and acted like he was going to clean our room, he told us he needed to go get a cart, so we left. 2 hours later, the room was still not cleaned. We ended up calling and telling them that it was not done. One thing we did figure out though, you can call and tell them what time you want your room cleaned, and we did this eventually. I would recommend this to everyone. It may take them an hour to get done, but at least then you know when they will be done.

Comments:
--If you are a spoiled brat before you go here, you may not be happy. But if you are an average joe, I think you will be very pleased. Also, I hope that if you are a spoiled person and throw fits when you are there, don't post them here, because it gives a very skewed view.

--Make sure you realize before you go that you are going to be in Mexico. I grew up in a foreign country and I know that here in the U.S. we are used to everything being on time. Prepare yourself mentally before going that things may not be quite as punctual as you are used to here and you will be fine when you get there.

--I would definately recommend the resort and if anyone has any questions, I would gladly answer them, as I know it would help you make a more informed Decision.

• Stayed June 2005
39 Thank johmily

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2005

My fiance and I returned from a trip to El Dorado Seaside Resort on Sunday, June 25th. We did not have a good experience. Upon our arrival our room was not ready, so we went and ate lunch. We returned to the lobby before 3:00 p.m. and our room had a/c problems, so they put us in a temporary room (2404). The a/c in 2404 run about five minutes and off for thirty minutes, not a good night. Finally, the next day our room was ready around lunchtime. We got moved into 3016 and the a/c seemed to work okay. It would go off & on but the time span was regulated better, then about 3:00 a.m. there was loud noises and the a/c was running, but no air was coming out. It had froze up, so I turned it completely off until morning and it ran okay. The following night was a repeat of it freezing up again. Then, our last night (Saturday), we returned come a sunset cruise and dinner to find there was no a/c in our room because of a generator problem. We could have opened our sliding glass door to get air, but we were to far back off the beach to do any good. We were located across from the construction and Thursday night they were hammering until midnight and playing their loud music. The beach and grounds were beautiful, the food was average, and the waiter staff needs more training.

29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Oak Grove
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2005

My wife and I were there from June 19th thru the 23rd and we LOVED it!
I have to admit when we got there our room wasnt ready.And then they tried to put us in an upstairs room but... my wife said no.So we went back to the front desk and Victor who is a bellboy told them we wanted another room on the ground they immediatly took us to our room.3001 was the # and we couldnt have picked a better room!! It was great(except for the air conditioner freezing up 2 times at 10pm).The staff was excellent and the entertainment staff was great!!! It was rainy for 3 of the 5 days we were there but we still had a great time, Charlie and Luis got us involved in Mexican Jinga at the swingbar.We had fullbody massages with the rain pounding on the windows(it was great). The food was REALLY GOOD and the sushi was My wifes Favorite.When we wanted to do the Mexican restaraunt it was closed, but they served some of the menu at the International.Breakfeast was always good and the salsa they fixed fresh all day, everyday was awesome!!!!We had room service for breakfast one day and had it again one night,(the club sandwich was awesome)so was the double chocolate cake!!!! We didnt even snorkel at the resort, but did see alot of fish at the pier.We did go to Xel-Ha and Tulum it was really fun, I had took some great photos but our water camera had a crack in it (so if anyone knows how to process film email me,no bbody I know will process it for fear of contaminating their equipment).If we go again we will definetly go to Xel- Ha, doing both in the same day seemed to rush things a bit.
We went to PlayaDelCarmen by taxi,I recomend this way because its only 16$ both ways and you can stay as long as you like,If you do the tour with the resort you go by bus and you have to stop at other resort to pick up other people. also you have to meet back at a certain time,(too rushed).The resort was great and we really enjoyed ourselves!!!!
We Will go back
If you have any questions email me at jds81169@aol.com

11 Thank chiefs

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

We also appreciate your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2005

We have been waiting for this holidays for over 2 years, my wife and I just had a baby one year ago and we did not want to travel by ourselves until our baby was one year old so grand mom, could take care of him, we went to our travel agent here in Houston and asked for, a very relaxing hotel where we could have nice service, the very first hotel that our travel agent offered to us was El Dorado Seaside Suites, we saw the brochure and it looked so beautiful, we were not sure due to the fact that it was an all inclusive resort, we had a very bad experience in the past when we were in a hotel all inclusive in Jamaica called Couples, we were not happy at all with the food, the service, etc, so after those holidays we took two more before my wife were pregnant but we decide to go to regular nice resorts, we were to Rits Carlton in Cancun and once to Fiesta Americana , we did enjoy them a lot, so after our agent explained to us all about the hotel, it sounded like it was the holidays we were looking for, so we decided to take our chances, so we book our trip right there, next day we went into internet and began checking as much as I could about the hotel, the reviews at the El Dorado seemed to be very nice and we were very happy, then for a week there were 3 or 4 reviews about construction going on, do not getting your room when you arrive to the hotel, etc, so we decide to do not let that ruin our holidays, after that reviews kept on telling how nice the hotel was and how friendly the staff was, so once again we agreed on keeping our mind positive.

When finally arrived to the hotel, what a major and pleasant surprise!!!

The lobby was beautiful, the art-deco furniture was very attractive, we were sat at the seating area and a glass of champagne was brought to us along with some fresh towels, our room was ready, the girl at the front desk handle our room key and escorted to us to the motor lobby, a bell man drove us to our suite in a golf cart, the gardens were amazing, I felt like in the fantasy island show, with all those colorful flowers all around, finally we arrived to our suite which it was in the building 27, the bell man opened the door for us, he already knew our names and showed the room to us, my wife opened her eyes and smiled, so I began felling the our purpose of the holidays was being accomplished, the bed was very nice and soft, decoration so romantic, the Jacuzzi next to the front window, all was right as we were told, we just thought in our travel agent that had recommended to us this resort, the view? The view was perfect!!! All the Caribbean Ocean right in front of us, we thank the bell man.

Got change and went right away to have lunch, we ate at the beach front terrace under the shade of the palm trees, what else, the waiters were so friendly, so accommodating, the drinks got to our table within a couple of minutes and they never let our glass to be empty, the food was excellent and it was only the terrace restaurant, so we had a great lunch, went to the beach and we saw this beautiful little canopies at the beach, we got some towels and got a perfect siesta!!!

Back in our room, wife wanted a snack, we called for something light to room service, impressed again, wao an actual all inclusive and all this comfort and quality???

Watched the TV for a while and went for dinner, we took our first shoot in the international restaurant!!!, food was superb!!! We actually were comparing the food with the quality of the Rits Carlton, with a slight difference, that at The Rits, we had to pay about us$180 per dinner if we had wine, and here was an all inclusive!!!

We could not waited to have the opportunity to have dinner next day at the Mexican and next day at the Asian restaurant, when that moment came we were even more impressed, there was nothing that we could complaint at all, all was smooth, nice, clean, staff asking to you if there was something else they could do for you at all times,

Entertainment was also a big plus, live music every night and nice performances of dancers, folklore and they even presented a magician and a circus, we were once again satisfied.

Yes we did have a problem one day with the power in our room, it took about 7 to 8 minutes, so what?? Big deal, we just waited and that’s all, it was on the day time and we were at the balcony reading a book, we noticed because the TV shouted down then came back,

We made a lot of new friends, nice people, we are from Houston and were very happy about meeting several couples from Texas, all of them told us that they were also very pleased with the hotel and how happy they were,

The only Down side and I think there is not possible to correct it is that also there were some guest that they do not deserve to be traveling were decent people does, I do remember that we were all at the bar one day and we were all talking how happy we were and all of that, then one couple I guess from Atlanta came by and said…. Well would you guys like to come back for free next year? We said how?? He laughed and say, let’s make a complaint letter all of us, we were like 8 couples, we looked at each others and said what do you mean???? He said, its easy, for example today, there was a lack of power in the rooms, lets make a letter that we were in our rooms having a siesta and that we could not enjoyed because there was not power for 5 hrs, so we demand to have a free holidays for next year or we post it on the internet!!, he was laughing, my wife said, come on, it was only for 8 minutes!!, then he said, who cares, guest are always right, if we all say 5 hrs, the 5 hrs it is, suddenly all of us remind quite and couple by couple was leaving him alone with his Girlfriend, I was so upset about that Guy, I felt sorry for him, he was a looser trying to travel for free.

To end up my review, we did enjoy our holidays, we will return to El Dorado Seaside Suites and we want to thank all the staff for making this holidays the best of our lives!!!

George and Marcy

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#56 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 15,345 reviews

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!