“Albieplustwo fab time”

El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Just returned after a ten day stay at the el Dorado sea side suites.what place .beds are so big and comfortable.the food is on tap day and night .room service is just like a restaurant in your own room.they bring every thing with them.the big beds on the beach are great plenty of shade if needed. Beach is cleaned all day long by a team of people .drinks are brought to you by a team of beach staff.all food is fresh and cooked just for you .the water is so clear and calm the fish are everywhere.
For me the place was great the only problem for me was the toilet in the bed room a little small the jacuzzi in the room was great much used by us .the is construction going on but you will find it hard to hear any noise .all restaurants are open all day so no booking some times there is a bit of a wait but they all have bars no problems there enjoyed the Asian restaurant but found the portions a bit small so order two if your Hungary .the Italian was so so for us food ok but nothing great the staff are as most reviews say so friendly everyone say hello from the maid to the gardener it's a great place highly recommend it

6  Thank albieplustwo
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences with the trip advisor community , i 'm sure that your feedback with help many fellow travelers chose the perfect destination for their next vacation.
It was a pleasure to be your hosts for your well deserved holiday and I hope that you will retrn very soon, we will be waiting.

Best Regards

There are newer reviews for El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We are members of the Exotic Club for patrons of Karisma resorts. The El Dorado hotels are adults only. The Azul hotels are family friendly. This was our first time at ED Seaside Suites and we were very impressed! Small enough to feel cozy, but large enough to have a gorgeous new spa and several fantastic upscale a la carte restaurants. No rice & beans buffets here! The service is exemplary. The rooms are gracious, spotless, romantic, and large. Every detail has been thoughtfully accomplished. The best part of the beach is rather small, but there are plenty of 'palapas' (beach beds) and beach butlers to serve you drinks as you relax! We were mezmerized watching the pelicans dive for their dinner! Guaranteed to please even the pickiest world traveler! It is located further south on the Riviera Maya, near Tulum.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view of the ocean, but some ground floor rooms have swim up connections...
3  Thank rebeccarealtor

thank you for your wonderful review and it was a pleasure to welcome you to , what we hope is the first of many visits to the El Dorado Seaside Suites. I'm happy to hear that exceeded your expectations and that you experienced the perfect Gourmet Inclusive vacation.

We're already looking forward to your return

Regards

Reviewed February 14, 2013

So what can I write about the El Dorado Seaside Suites having just returned after a ‘1st time’ 2 week trip there that has not been written already? You will see if you have been looking at reviews over the past 2 or 3 months most are 4/5* and all praise the staff, food, service rooms etc. Its all pretty well true and whilst the beach is not the largest, and rooms a little tired in places, there are lots of spare loungers and the service at the beach bars is brilliant. Thanks Ana and Louisa.

So, rather than repeat what has already been said, here is some information I hope you will find useful from a Brit holiday makers perspective.

TV and Sport
Football is well provided for with live premier matches shown albeit without sound as the commentary is in Spanish. As Mexico is 6 hours behind the evening matches are on early afternoon so a few cool beers and food in the main bar are great. If your hoping to see International Rugby or cricket, forget it they have Fox Sports not SKY Sports or BBC1 or 2 in Mexico.

Beer, wine and cocktails
After a couple of days I noticed people drinking brown beer rather than the usual yellow stuff in the main bar. I like real ale and a bit of taste in my beer and the ‘dark’ is slightly stronger and tastier than the ‘larger’. Supply is a bit erratic and not available anywhere else apart from the main bar next to the sandwicherie. House wine is a bit poor. I like red and its very ordinary and takes a mouthful or two to get used to it but don’t expect much here. You can get better stuff but it costs $20 to £60 a bottle. I liked the cocktails and being all inclusive and premium brands they taste good. Try the ‘dirty Monkey’ before and after your meal

Trips
I don’t normally do them but did go to the Mayan temple at Coba, the local Mayan Village and a dip in the cool waters near by which was really good value and interesting. It costs about $100 each. We also went to Coco Bongo night club and this was pretty good to. You get a Gold VIP pass which is a must unless you want the mayhem and experience of life on the dance floor which is great if your on something or want to party but its a bit more civilised on the 2nd or 3rd floor balcony with waiter service. Its all inclusive with premium drinks and again $100 each. It starts at 11:00 pm and goes till 3:00. The show is pretty good and decent value with trapeze artists and some great dancing. You need to factor in the taxi there and back in your cost which is around $23 each way and 25 – 30 mins drive.

Selling flexible holidays
Its quite possible the concierge will ‘encourage’ you to go to a short presentation on ‘buying in’ to a holiday timeshare type product in exchange for two free 30 minute massages and a private ‘beach meal’ during your holiday. The presentation is a couple of hours and the sales people are slick and professional. Do not underestimate them. Be careful and think very carefully about parting with £6K or so in exchange for upgrades and cheap holidays over the next few years. We didn’t because I just think this stuff isn’t for me but people do and there isn’t a cooling off period that I could see. We took the massages in the spa which is really something and the beach table meal was superb so for us it was well worth 2 hours or so.

People
Plenty of Brits, Canadians and Americans. If you have holidayed with Canadians and Americans you will be used to the occasional ‘outbursts’ and ‘hollering’ they make when they get excited and there is the odd idiot who has drunk to much but we cant really complain about that can we?. Generally the people are decent, professional business people and well to do and just having fun. Infinitely better than our friends from Russia and other eastern block countries that are rude, ignorant and generally dislikeable who probably will stay in their local holiday retreats in Egypt and Goa..

Tipping
Some did and some did not. Its not compulsory and to be fair I don’t think you get better service but the staff are truly grateful and remember. I used to spend about $5 and $10 dollars a day maximum and tip in $1 bills. The reception has loads of them if you need to change larger denominations.

Airport and plane experience
The airport is about an hour and a half and we flew with Thomson. There were a couple of pick ups on the way back to the airport but none when we arrived. It can be a little chaotic but not bad. Arriving was worse than coming back and remember it will cost you 800 pesos (or £45) departure tax to get out. No way around it I’m afraid. We went premium economy at £280 each extra but for the free drink, better food and extra legroom more than worth it.

Will I go back? On balance yes but not straight away as there are many places I want to go and its around 10 hours flight (it was 14 Hrs going out as we went from Birmingham to Manchester then cancun?) I personally I would not want to go for any less than 2 weeks but some Brits do a week. I will look out for the reviews on the resort after the new building is opened. I’m sure the beach will get more crowded and the ‘early towel brigade’ will increase so lets hope they get more beds so there are always spares. Time will tell on the impact. There is still much work to be done on the beach though.

If your considering Mexico for the 1st time I would strongly consider the El Dorado Seaside Suites, I don’t think you will be disappointed.

18  Thank Greenpanda0

Thank you for your detailed review of your recent stay ; i enjoyed your review, reading each and every section . your reccommendation ,i´m sure will be very useful to our future guests . I have crefully consdiered all your feedback and appreciate the time taken to share your comments.

we hope that you will return to visit us again very soon

Best

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We just returned from Seaside Suites three days ago. It was a delightful week, and we would return without hesitation.

I read some of the reviews before starting to write this, and I agree with many of the positive and even some of the not-so-positive reviews. I believe that when traveling as a guest in a different country, some patience and open-mindedness go a long way. Focusing on little things that don't really affect the overall quality of visit seems to me to be a waste of energy. For example, the toilet in our room ad low water pressure, but I believe that this is impacted by the resort's commitment to conservation. I did not find our room to be dated at all; the bed was very comfortable and we were grateful for the jacuzzi for two which was spotless and got plenty of use. I did not hear any noise from above or below us, and we were in a second floor room. Yes, there is construction, but I only really heard it when I was outside walking in the vicinity. The only time I was bothered by any kind of noise was one night when a band on the other side of the resort played loudly until after 11pm. But I understand that it's hard to cater to the diverse needs of guests of all ages and with varying bedtimes! :)

The beach was lovely, and we snorkeled right out in front of the resort. Have I seen more colorful fish in other parts of the Caribbean? Yes. But the water was calm and clear and we enjoyed spending time swimming. Yes, there are some guests who get up at the crack of dawn to reserve both chaise lounges and beach beds. Yes, it seemed like an obnoxious thing to do. But we never had any trouble finding a lounge or beach bed when we wanted one, and the hotel was at 97% occupancy.

In my opinion, the most appealing feature of this lovely resort was the people. Everyone we met went out of their way to be kind, friendly and helpful. They were patient with me when I tried to practice my Spanish. They recommended menu items. They talked about their lives when asked and asked about ours. They delivered drinks on the beach on the hottest of days without breaking a sweat or forgetting a smile. They kept the grounds spotless. They made us feel like family.

Is the food "gourmet?" That is so subjective. Some meals were more delicious than others but all were good. We had heard that the Italian restaurant was the best; it turned out to be our least favorite (and that was the one time in the entire week that we felt our waiter was unfriendly and delivered less than perfect service). We were told that the Asian restaurant was "just ok;" it turned out to be one of our favorite spots. We never had a bad meal; we just liked some better than others.

We visited the spa twice, both times with discounted offers, and I can't begin to describe what an amazing experience it was both times. Prepare to be pampered! I highly recommend a visit (or two or three) there.

We will happily return here and even try out some of the other resorts in this chain. Thanks to Paula and her hard-working staff for a wonderful vacation.

12  Thank Ellin T
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

A beautiful setting on the beach. Very clean, staff very courteous, pleasant, and happy to help in every way they can. We had a tree top birthday dinner, which is worth the extra money. The weather was hot, with a beautiful trade wind, constantly cooling. One word of warning, there is a stomach bug in the resort, with more people affected than the hotel letting on, the doctors fees are expensive, and want cash up front, take dyarolite and lots if it to help recovery.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Dolly P
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you for your recent review , i'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed our superior service and our unique dining experience . Our staff are definately dedicated and I'm very proud of each and every employee. your comments do cause some concern, I can assure you that we do not have any sickness within the hotel , please feel free to contact me if you feel otherwise.

Best Regards

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We (a party of 3 couples) were greeted with a cool cloth and champagne and promptly escorted to our room.
We had requested rooms with King beds when we booked in Aug, but were put in rooms with 2 doubles and were told we would be moved to the King suites as per request the next day. It was somewhat inconvenient to have to dig through our suitcases to find specific belongings, and then to have to keep our carry-ons with all our cash, valuables and passports/tickets ect. with us at the beach and so on, from noon (check-out) until our new rooms were ready at 3pm. I asked if they would be able to offer anything extra to us to make up for the inconvenience and the conceirge offered each couple a romantic in-room breakfast the following day which was a $110.00 value US. They were very accomodating and we were thankful. The breakfast was amazing!
If you are planning on tipping your bar stocker and the maid, I would suggest locating your maid, find out how many days she will be cleaning your room (in case of shift changes part way thru the week) and tip her personally. My Husband returned by fluke to our room before noon one day and discovered that the tip money left in fridge for bar stocker was no longer there, nor was the maids money we had hidden under a pillow for her (a small gift we had left was still there) and the rooms had not been cleaned yet. We reported it to conceirge who later called to tell us that the money had been split between the stocker and maid. Not sure I beleive that and wondered how many of the poor maids have been deprived of their hard earned tips
Now with that out of the way....I only have good things left to say and I would still HIGHLY recommend this resort. Everything was wonderful, excellent food only had one thing the entire week I didnt care for...Chicken Parm at the Italian restaurant, but every other meal was excellent and the portions perfect. I am of average size and did not leave a restaurant feeling hungry once. I actually preffered VIDA for breakfast, much better than Arrecifies. Try the Eggs Bennedict Vida Style! Yum
The room was well kept and we would come in to find little towel creatures on the bed. Always had plenty of towels and air was turned on for us. I did notice a slight damp odour, but given that you are in a tropical climate you will get that just about anywhere. After a day or so it was not even noticeable.
The staff were always friendly and helpful, they couldnt do enough for you and were always happy and smiling!
Drinks could have been a little more exciting for 5 star (meaning fancied up with garnishes ect, but there was a good selection...I tried them all! Loved the Mango and Pina Coladas, Dirty Monkeys and must try the Bandera (Mexican flag) shooters! Thanks Ubaldo, the great pool bartender for your great service! Randy says Hello.
Plenty of chairs to be found on beach but beds got taken early on, we never cared...love the sunshine.
Beach was beautiful they kept it raked and cleaned it daily. I would stay away from the large bar end by the wall and go down past the gazebo near the beach bar. The ocean was good there. Yes there were some small rocks as you step in, but the water was clear and once you get the 5 feet past them its nice and sandy. We brought water shoes but never wore them.
Bring snorkel gear if you have it, the reef is right there, there are tons of fish swimming around you and lots to see.
We didnt hang out at the main pool at all not enough loungers and too many beds. I would change that. The small pool bar near building 36 was fun!
Lots of birds, creatures to see and enjoyed morning walks around the beautifully maintained property. I am a decent looking lady and never had a problem walking alone without my Husband. Watch out though our friends spotted a Boa Constrictor on the main walkway one day! Yikes There IS a mangrove across from buildings at back and YES I guess there would be the occasional snake come out!
Entertainment was good, somthing different each night. Live bands were very good and the Mayan dinner night was a lot of fun.
If you do a tour I would also highly recommend Coba Maya Encounter. You will visit the Coba Ancient Ruins where you can still climb the 138 foot tall pyramid, visit a mayan family and have a traditional mayan meal and see a musical performance and if lucky meet the Shaman and be annointed by him. Then you will travel to a underground Cenote. You will not have to zipline or rappell into the cave, it has stairs. Once in, the cave is breathtakingly beautiful with crystal clear warm water. We thoroughly enjoyed this trip which was roughly 8 hours. We stopped along the way for a little souvenier shopping but were not pressured to buy.
Another awesome trip was Xel-ha, also about 8 hours with food and unlimited drinks avail. Lots to see and do if you like to snorkel.
This resort had young honeymooners, older retirees and middle aged like myself. Not really the place for singles. Very romantic peaceful, yet lots to keep your interest going! I would not hesitate to go back. I have been to Cuba, Bahamas, Dominican, Jamaica and Mexico and I think this is one of my top 7 trips I have ever been on.

Room Tip: I found that the basic junior suite/garden view was perfect. The resort was so lush that an ocean vi...
2  Thank mflem

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We checked out this past Friday after spending a wonderful week.

As far as all inclusives go this is a great place.

It feels small, when in reality it's not that tiny.

Like most Caribbean resorts, the walls and details are molded plaster, rooms a little damp, and amenities not quit as nice as what you would fine in the USA. The big jet tubs kinda gross me out so I would rather have a little sofa or seating area instead of the wasted space for a huge tub we never used. But I'm kind of a germ freak when it comes to things like that.

But for a beach all inclusive it really is fabulous.

I will say that the food was really good, creative and beautiful.... but I wouldn't say gourmet. But again I consider myself a foodie and love to have a nice meal.

The grounds are absolutely beautiful! the staff is the nicest around.

Wifi isn't free... but the signal is strong. As someone else stated, I would rather pay and have a great signal than have a free signal that is so weak it is pointless. We were even able to facetime our family while on the beach!

The beach isn't the greatest... but that is no fault of the resort. Hurricanes and nature do what they want. The staff is always cleaning the beach, raking, bringing drinks, etc.

We ate breakfast at the Vida Grill most mornings and it was nice. Nothing is overly spiced, so ask for some hot sauce if you want to kick it up a notch and feel like you are in Mexico! The daily juices were great... not sure if they were freshly juiced but lets go with it and say they were.

For lunch we usually were not at the resort, but for the times we were we enjoyed the guacamole and pico at the sandwicherie. The last day we ate lunch at Areffices and although not outside we wished we had discovered this as a lunch option earlier in the week as the food was better than the sandwicheries pizzas and frozen hamburger patties (although they dress them up with fancy toppings). Our favorite lunch (and favorite thing over all) was the fish market on Sunday. As we were lying on the beach a kayak appeared with a fisherman and four large fish. Granted we know he didn't just catch them but it was a good show. He procedded to bring the fish to the BBQ area and we all enjoyed fresh fish, ceviche, etc. Drinks were served in an adorable coconut with face made of fruit. They call this event the "Fish Market" and it is not to be missed.

For dinner we enjoyed the Italian and Mexican restaurants the most. We had room service one night and it was quick and easy after a long day on the beach.

The construction didn't really bother us as we requested a room away from the action. If we had been in a building close by we might have been disappointed. They do try and cover the hammering with new age music.

Again, this resort was BEAUTIFUL, everyone was SO NICE, the food was GREAT for an all inclusive and we loved our week there!

4  Thank EmElleSmith

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
UNICO 20.87 Hotel Riviera Maya
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!