“"Heaven" is far from it.”

Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersGold level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“"Heaven" is far from it.”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

The hotel is being re-branded into the Hard Rock, and it is far from done. I booked this trip to take my mom to the Cancun Challenge college basketball tournament. We requested two double beds. What we got was a king-sized bed in the middle of a construction zone. Our room WAS NOT FINISHED - painted particle board instead of marble. The marble that was up was unfinished. Paint splatters, empty mini bar, no batteries in the remote control, safe didn't work, room keys didn't work. Construction resumed at 8 am: hammering, electric saws, etc. A contractor told us that they don't think the resort will be finished until March. I am typing this at the front desk. I'm not leaving until they put us in a room that is worth the thousands we paid.

Room Tip: Stay on the family side - construction is mostly completed over there.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank FlightoftheValkyrie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (869)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Spent last week at the "spa" but was anything but relaxing. This was our sixth visit to this resort! We made reservation in April for five rooms in the adult area. Three days before departure we were told our rooms would not be available. We were put in rooms on the family side of the resort. We were told that our rooms would b e together. We did not have our rooms together. The views were of the back of buildings and kids play area. The linens now are worn, gray, stained and my sheet even had holes. The rooms have no sound proofing, since we could hear everything going on in the next room. It rained the first two days so our room and two of our guest rooms had water coming in the doorways. One of our guest had no air conditioning which made everything wet to the point her medication pills dissolved. It took 3 nights to get them moved. One of our guest slipped and fell from all the standing water in the hallways. The spa facility was not completed. Rosa at guest relations, the two servers both named Edwin should be commended they made us feel welcomed. We feel that our contracts with Palace Resorts and Legendary were breached. We were told that the Cove side and spa facility were completed. The whole resort was a construction zone. We will return some day to see if the resort is completed and then maybe think about bringing guest along.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank chuck w
Lake View, Iowa
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Where do I even begin with this place? I knew something was wrong when we were taken to the Cove side (family side) to check in. I told the bellman I was supposed to be on the Heaven side (adults only) and he said we would be taken over there after we checked in. The approach to lobby was literally jammed with luggage lined up and when we went in the front desk was in chaos. People were clearly upset and complaining but I wasn't yet sure what was going on. After waiting for about 45 minutes we finally were assisted. Were told our room wasn't yet ready although by now it was after 4pm. I asked if the renovations were complete and all the rooms finished and was told yes. (LIE) We decided to go get something to eat down by the pool while we waited for a room. Returned to desk, stood in another line of grumbling people and were taken to a room at about 5:30 but no rooms were available on Heaven side. We had to walk through construction debris to get to the room. Our room was 7320 but I don't know how anyone would know because there were not even room numbers up yet. The hallway tile was torn up in spots. After walking around barefoot in the room I could feel the grime which turned out to be drywall dust (will post photo of that). Rather than a view of the ocean, which I paid extra for, I had a view of the daycare facility and playground. We were in this room from Saturday until Tuesday when we were finally moved to another room in another building, also on the family side. However, I had to complain and complain to get this accomplished. So all I did for the first 3 days was try to get a decent room. The tile saws and jackhammering would begin around 7am and last until well after dark. So romantic to sit on a tiny balcony overlooking the playground and listen to sawing and hammering. On Tuesday I had to ask if we could get clean sheets when the maid finally serviced our room around 5pm. She told me she had no sheets. I asked if I could at least get clean pillow cases and she did provide those. She did not leave any clean washcloths I later discovered, so my husband and I shared one until the next day. We were moved on Tuesday night to 9224. Actually had a view of the pool and ocean. Still listened to the occasional hammering and sawing and crying babies. At breakfast we were entertained by Barney and Bob the Builder dancing and songs. Now, by all rights, we were on the family side so that's what one expects. But I was not supposed to be there and it was not what I booked. The pool was also overrun with children, again, not what I look for in a vacation. We did walk over to the Heaven side and look at what was going on over there. I couldn't believe they actually had people staying in any of those buildings! Disgraceful to the Hard Rock brand to do that. The pool was functional but was literally surrounded by buildings in various states of construction. There was one bar that we ever found which was on the family side where we were staying. I was told the night club on the Heaven side would be done in about 6 months. The restaurants on the Heaven side were the French and Spanish but the French restaurant was temporarily outside because the inside space was unfinished. So again, you're eating and listening to construction. We ate at the Italian restaurant down by the cove pool and during the entire meal we watched and listened to the installation (grinding of metal) of the new hand rail over the pool footbridge. I could go on and on and on, but I think you get the picture. I am still muttering and mad about the entire experience. If they had been honest and told us it would not be completed, fine. But no way would I pay the full rate for such a half-crocked property. We did end up getting a one-night room comp but I don't believe that was what we deserved.

Room Tip: Choose another property, I'm not sure there are any good rooms at this point.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
12 Thank NatalieRM
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Big resort, friendly staff, expectation of room was poor, spent two hours negotiated what we reserved and paid for. December vacation over Christmas in 2012. Previous trip purchased time sharing with the Palace Resorts. Upon arriving, we were provided with a room by the back garden, no view and far away from the main entrance. After 2 hours negotiating room change, we received a nice room, by the pool with ocean view. Our friends booked with regular travel agent , short notice and received a great room, great location. We booked 6 months prior and received bad location?? hmm. Wifi low to poor, good by the pool only. Trip turned out excellent once we settled on room location. Palace resort was experiencing a transition from Palace Resort to Hard Rock. Staff was really friendly and polite. We loved the location and the resort was beautiful. We will try it one more time. Hopefully we get the room we paid for from the start.

Room Tip: Spa was great, limited to only $300 from credit of 1500 provided. Great staff and very good food.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank GoodLife1993
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed November 25, 2013

November 18 - 22. This resort is transitioning to a Hard Rock hotel. The Heaven side (supposed to be Adult side) is under construction and will be for months - Disregard what the hotel website or booking agent tells you. Everything from the lobby to the spa to the beach to the rooms is in some manner of construction. Why go here when you could book at a functioning resort?

Hacienda room design - poorly designed. A jacuzzi takes up a large chunk of space, so the table is squeezed under the LCD screen. The chairs are industrial size and nearly unmovable and unusable. So, the only place to be in the room is on the beds. We realized how uncomfortable it was when the Hilton Airport hotel in Phoenix was much more roomy and comfortable than the resort room.

Booking - We booked and paid for a single King. We were assigned to the family side double beds. No rooms available because all the non-double beds are on the "Heaven" side. The staff would not discuss reducing the fee, only comping some wine that was already part of the All Inclusive cost. Most guests experienced some difficulty in getting a room the first time. And the agents could not do anything.
Food - At most places the food was good to very good, except at the brazilian restaurant. The sides were luke warm, the salad was just a bowl of lettuce, and all the meat was fatty or chewy.
Staff - All the staff were helpful and genuinely friendly. Too bad they are stuck with poor management.
Pool - the pool was excellent. Very nice large wandering design.

But, Don't Go. Seriously!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank steve0728
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We arrived 11/16 and were surpised of the contruction zone, staff who weren't prepared and refused to help, condition of the rooms, lack of services that were advertised, and the number of people who encountered the same problems as we did. Not to mention being lied too. Wasn't worth the airfare, let alone the cost of the so called "Presidential Suite".

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

11 Thank Richard D
Englewood
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My hubsand and I are Palace Premier Members and have been to the Aventura Spa Palace numerous times. Actually it was our favorite resort because of the adult only section, the wonderful spa, the lobby bar and the peace and quiet. We arrived for a week on November 14. We were aware that Aventura had become a Hard Rock property when we booked our week. We booked a concierge level room on the "Heaven"side with a king size bed. We arrived at the resort and were dropped off at the "cove" or family side lobby. We thought it was very strange since we were expecting to stay on the adult side. We were very upset to learn that the adult only side was not even open. No one ever called to tell us that the adult section was not available. If we had known this we would have booked another resort. Things only got worse when we had to walk through construction and tile work that left dust and dirt all over our shoes. The room was on the first floor, had no view and wasn't finished. The noise was unbelievable. We refused the room and hours later we were shown a nicer room but it wasn't even close to what we thought we had originally booked.

The choice or lack of restaurants was also another source of disappointment. Only three a la carte restaurants were open while we were there. The steakhouse was just awful. The meat was tough and there were very few side dishes offered. The Mexican and Asian restaurants were a lot better but it's not right that there were so few choices.

The spa treatments were great but if you ever experienced the spa when it was a Palace Resort you would be disappointed . You had to wait outside for your treatments and there were very few lockers available for changing. The noise was just terrible. There was no hydrotherapy and everything was very makeshift and camp like.

Since my husband and I are only interested in adult only resorts it is no surprise that we found the family side noisy and crowded. There weren't even enough chairs for people as evidenced by the fact that every time we got up people were asking if we were finished with our chairs. The lobby has a bar area with bench seating that has all the ambiance of a bus terminal.

Needless to say the whole experience was stressful and disappointing. We did not sign up for a family friendly vacation. We expected and paid for the adult only experience and we feel cheated that we didn't it.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
#11 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!