“GREAT vacation!”

GreenLeadersGold level
London, Canada
“GREAT vacation!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Ignore the "30 years of travel" guy. Yes we were a day late and they told us our room wasn't ready but I said right back to her Yes it is ready because we should already be in it already, and it was ready right away for us. It only took a few minutes for check in NOT 2 hours. The staff was acceptional, extremely friendly and always smiling. The rooms were clean, mind you they didn't clean them til late afternoon. The food was great and we got our drinks always right away and we didn't wave money around. All the good chairs were reserved super early in the morning which was frustrating because they were empty most of the day because they were on an excursion or something in the morning but reserved them before they left. Unfortunately this happens at most places you go to anymore. Not sure how it can be regulated. Some people are just never happy and hard to please. We loved it there would definately recomend this place. However we will NOT fly Sunwing to get there or anywhere else for that matter.

6 Thank Cathy P
Penelope S, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Hi Cathy P, we really appreciate your kindly comments, we always want to satisfied your needs meeting your particularities to make you the best experience in your vacation.

We turn special attention in your requirements that is why we provide you the greatest service to be convinced that we will exceed your expectations.

Once again thank you for your comments and we hope that you will return soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (833)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Chicago
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at the Aventura Spa Palace (Hard Rock Riviera Maya) Feb 8-15, 2013. We stayed at Playacar Palace two years ago and spent one wonderful day taking advantage of the Aventura Spa Palace amenities and wanted to come back for a full week here. We met up with other family members so our ages ranged from 40-73. We are all seasoned travelers although we typically enjoy varying vacation styles. This resort offers something for everyone - the only way someone could possibly have a terrible week at this place is if they have absolutely no idea of where they are going due to no prior research, if they have zero concept of what vacationing in a Caribbean/Mexican destination means, let one negative encounter or experience ruin their entire week, or are just the type of whining, complaining, flaw finders that we all have to tolerate no matter if it's at our workplace, the supermarket, etc. I personally wish those people would limit their "adventures" to Disney or some other polished destination instead of being unrealistic "Ugly Americans and Canadians" - yes, I'm intentionally expanding that phrase.

Rooms - We checked in hoping to use some credits for an upgrade for an ocean view, even if it meant we had to wait a day or two. There was nothing available, which is understandable. The front desk staff is warm and welcoming and sets the tone for the trip. A crabby front desk staffer named Fabiola was unfortunately not typical of the rest of the employees. Maybe she was just having a migraine or a bad day - it happens. Regardless of her sour demeanor, we were all more than satisfied with our "regular" rooms. They have plenty of space, nice bathrooms, an in-room Jacuzzi, hammocks and chairs on the balcony, nice amenities, comfy beds, in room liquor dispensers. daily re-stocked minibars with your choice of water, wine, beer, soda, etc. Our safe wasn't functioning so we called for service and they sent someone to fix it immediately. Housekeeping was a little inconsistent with respect to timing and towel replacement but anything we asked for was received without incident. We had a first floor room and felt very safe at all times. No noise from neighbors, aside from the occasional drunken late-night guest returning to their room and shouting in the hall way. I'd rather hear that than screaming children any day and since this is adults only, it's what I would expect. Wet clothing items don't dry easily, especially in the bathroom - it's tropical and humid so not a surprise. There is laundry service if you need it. Our room stayed cool and was very comfy.

Grounds - The grounds are lush and beautiful and constantly being maintained by warm, friendly staff with an "hola" wherever you go. We had a couple of iguanas that we'd pass every day, beautiful birds with big voices, and even had a couple of monkeys ran across the path in front of us one day! The resort is BIG. We're from Chicago and are accustomed to a lot of walking and had planned to get in plenty of cardio to compensate for the extra sweets and drinks. Give me that gorgeous ocean breeze and fantastic view instead of a treadmill in my gym at home any day! I don't understand how anyone couldn't understand the amount of walking they will need to do here prior to booking. The number of rooms and services alone should be your first clue. The fact that everything isn't crammed together (like on a cruise ship for instance) and is spaced nicely is a positive thing. There are drivers on golf carts that will take you from the Spa lobby to the Cove lobby, or back to your room, etc. if you don’t want to walk the distance.

Pools - Each pool has its own "personality"... The main large free form pool attracts the drinkers with it's swim up bar, loud music, activities, etc. A great place for someone that likes to let loose on vacation and join in the fun...A full crowd there daily.. lots of preening and posing by "Jersey Shore" wannabes and the people who adore them. I wasn't there for that kind of vacation, so I stayed as FAR away from the area as possible once the action got started. Be sure to avoid a room near the pool if you don’t want the noise. Other trips, I would have been in the midst of it all - just depends what you want. There's also a smaller lap/volleyball pool that is a little less chaotic nearby. There are beautiful indoor open air pools, including a couple of whirlpools and a juice bar. Great for seeking some relaxation or if you've had enough sun and want to swim in the shade. A very Roman bath feel to that area. One of my favorite spots was in the cross-current pool. It wasn't crowded, had a bar, a view of the sea, and some shade. It was nice to float with the current and then swim against it for a nice low impact resistance work out.

Beach - As others have mentioned, the sand is gravelly. There is no typical beach, but the waves crashing on the other side of the coves sound wonderful and provide a gorgeous backdrop. The lagoons are nice for snorkeling or just swimming. Bring water shoes though because there are lot of sharp rocks. A couple of people that I saw had brought along a blow up raft and I wished I'd thought about doing that. All kinds of beautiful fish can easily be seen darting around in the water whether you're feeding them or not. They have snorkel equipment and kayaks available also.

Food – ElGreco’s buffet was much better than a standard cruise ship buffet, but similar in that it offered a variety of international options for the multi-cultural guests. Excellent made to order omelets, French toast, waffles, and pancakes in addition to an assortment of fresh fruit, a smoothie station, pastry, and really just about every other standard breakfast item you could ask for. Lunch and dinner also had many grilled to order choices, salads, hot and cold entrees. Many choices and all seemed to be good quality. We had lovely dinners in the a la carte Mexican, Asian, and Italian restaurants as well. Excellent service and food. The sushi in Momonohana was surprisingly quite good.

Service – Consistently wonderful. I’m perplexed at how anyone can negatively review the service and staff for this place. I have never been to another destination in North America, Europe, or throughout many many Caribbean islands where the staff was overwhelmingly so cheerful and willing to help. It seemed that 99% of the employees I encountered went out of their way to answer any question, assist every guest, and make everyone feel welcome. We were lucky to have the same person (Rodrigo) bring us on a golf cart to our room upon check in and again to the lobby when we left. He was a fantastic ambassador for this resort… warm, charming, knowledgeable, professional.

Spa – I had read about some of the problems that people were having booking appointments at the spa and salon so I pre-booked a week’s worth of appointments for the five people in our group before we arrived. I traded emails with Dianely in the weeks leading up to our visit and she was fantastic! A pleasure to work with and she set everything up on the days we wanted at the perfect times. She had valuable insight into some of the services and helped me make some very good choices. She really knows her stuff. The staff at the spa are very good as well. From check in to assistance in the hydro-therapy area, all very sweet and competent. The hydro area is a wonderful place to spend some time prior to your treatment… make your way through the foot bath, the showers, steam, hot pools, cold plunge, etc. It’s very relaxing. There were usually some obnoxious women who had no concept of how to use your “spa voice” and converse softly in the waiting area, but that’s not the fault of the staff. I don’t know how people can be so oblivious to their surroundings. I’m sure this is the first spa many have experienced. If you’ve never been, please be quiet and speak softly, don’t text or talk on your cell phones, or call out to each other across the room. Most of us are there to absorb the ambiance, relax and don’t need to hear all the details of your personal life. We had several different facials, massages, and wraps. As with any spa, the service differs according to the personal style of the person administering the treatment. Some of my treatments here were top notch and others were average. There was one sub par experience but when I completed the comment section upon signing out, the Manager was called to speak with me immediately because I had given lower marks. I didn’t want to create a problem and it was a minor complaint, but she said she would speak with the person. That seemed a little strong to me… but I guess that’s how seriously they take feedback. Also, note that tips are left up front where you check in. They provide an envelope if you ask for it. I didn’t see many others tipping but hope this was just a coincidence… if you like the service – please tip!

Salon – We all had mani/pedis at the salon. It’s a standard service but wasn’t really great here. It was extremely bare bones and basic and the staff seemed green and rushed… I decided to cancel my last day’s appointment here because it seemed more like a chore to sit through it than a pleasurable experience. More than one of us felt the same about it, despite having different techs so I think it may be a training issue.

Fellow Travelers – Mostly Canadians, and somewhat fewer Americans. Ages from early 20’s to 70’s. I’d say the majority was in the 30-50 range. Mostly couples… middle class professional types… generally very friendly and conversational. I can understand some of the complaints I’ve read here from long term Palace Members who are not happy with the changes as it moves toward a Hard Rock demographic. It’s not the same exclusive experience as it once was and other Palace locations still are. I would advise anyone looking for a more refined and pampered type of trip to either go to another Palace or understand that while you can still have that experience here, you will have to put up with some of the younger, louder, more colorful demographic on occasion. I like the diversity, but some don’t.

Saving of Chairs – The chair saving problems that nearly every reviewer comments on is valid. I read about it prior to arrival and thought it can’t be THAT bad. It was worse. I was up each morning for an early walk and would see that hundreds of chairs had towels, magazines, sunblock, hats, towel clips, etc. on them to save spots. All chairs were gone by 7:00am. Most were gone by 6:00am. I cannot stress how much ill-will this created among the guests. It was THE most common topic of complaint and conversations. Because a handful of inconsiderate guests would greedily save chairs for themselves in both the sun and in shady spots, other guests were reduced to playing the same game. People don’t go on vacation to be confrontational about something so silly, but this is creating a LOT of negativity. Aventura/Hard Rock Management – PLEASE address this. The people in my group had no problem removing the items saving chairs and placing them neatly nearby on a table for example if no one had shown up for at least 30 minutes. No one ever confronted us for moving their items, but I can see how it could happen, especially if someone has been drinking. We personally witnessed empty chairs being saved for over FOUR HOURS before anyone showed up to use them. I can’t even begin to understand the ridiculous mentality at work here, but it ends up reflecting very poorly on the Management of the resort. Many people are not comfortable moving someone else’s personal items and these despicable chair vultures prey on the kindness and manners of others, sadly. Aventura Management – please post signs stating where items may be claimed if left unattended for 30 minutes and assign a team to monitor the areas. Require a towel card or a used towel in exchange for a fresh towel so that they cannot be hoarded the night before and used for saving the following morning. Find out how other resorts successfully manage this problem. Make a note in the daily activity sheet. Just do something to show those frustrated guests that you are trying to address the issue. You have a lot of competition. Beautiful properties, good food, quality staff and sunshine abound in Riviera Maya – don’t let something so trivial be the reason paying guests choose another destination.

21 Thank TeeRad
Hi TeeRad, we much appreciate your comments.

We agree with you, There`s fun for everybody! It’s good to know that you keep enjoying our facilities each time that visit us.

As you said before, there are many ways to take advantage from our resort credits, you can get an upgrade or an excursion and we have several places to visit like archeological sites, go to swim with the dolphins, even buy in our boutiques and have special dinners. We always try to provide you with the best service as you deserve.

As you mentioned we provided you a clean room every day and you received all your corresponding amenities. We are a huge resort, if you want, you are able to visit all our areas where you will see special tours like “the monkey tour” where you can experience direct contact with nature, also you are able to visit both resort, the familiar side and the adults section.

Our entertainment team always is innovating different activities for you to enjoy your stay in a better way and to take advantage of our facilities like the beach and pool area. In our restaurants we include all types of food to avoid becoming bored of our dishes, we have a buffet and a la carte meals we include oriental cuisine, Mexican food, international food, steaks, Italian food, Mediterranean food and snacks to please the whole family.

In our spa and the beauty salon you will enjoy our treatments and beauty services I`m sure that you loved it.

We are very satisfied to know that you enjoyed our resort, thanks for mentioned Dianely, we will pass her your comments.

Once again thank you very much for your comments.
Porter, Maine
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I visited the Aventura Spa resort Feb 5th - the 12th. We are palace members and found this resort to be just an ok resort compared to the other palaces. This resort is in much need of a face lift. Most of the staff were friendly but some acted like they didn't really like their job. Food was pretty good. Rooms were ok but we had to ask the maid for something everyday as it was not stocked properly. People shouldn't expect a real beach as there really is none. The Playacar resort is closed to everyone that isn't staying there so you can't use their beach. If you are staying on the spa side and you want a chair, go put your towels in that chair at 6 am or you won't have one until 2-3 pm. We found that if we headed over to the cove side, there were lots of empty chairs available for us. ( We didn't go during school vacation so it wasn't that busy.) We had a nice relaxing vacation but have stayed in better resorts. The Cozumel Palace has been our favorite so far.

Room Tip: If you are 50 or older, stay on the Cove side. If you are 50 and older and don't mind loud music...
1 Thank dawn000_111_222
Hello dawn000_111_222, thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback.

In regards to your comments about our service let me mention that all staff members are instructed to conduct themselves in a professional and courteous manner, we apologies if you did not feel our warm treatment.

We are terrible sorry for your perception concerning our facilities, is noteworthy to mention that we have daily inspections.

Thank you again for your review.

We hope that you will come back again so that we can share our improvements with you and provide you with an excellent vacation.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had the great ``mis-adventura`` of staying at this resort. This was our first trip to Mexico and due the the extreme issues we had with this resort a real disappointment. When I first read all the negative reviews for ASP, I like many before me felt they had been posted by people who just liked to complain sadly I learned first hand this is not the case! Our stay from hell began February 2 and mercifully ended on February 9, 2013.

Firstly room 1916 located in the Tuba buidling was the room from hell. It was beside some type of service room and every single morning at 2:00 AM I could hear dishes banging and clagging around. I did not get one night of solid sleep in the room even with the assistance of using ear plugs and prescription sleeping pills. Not very relaxing. As we had been told at check-in the resort was full I did not ask to change rooms. Only to read later on Trip Advisor that other guests were told the resort was not very full this week which is why they closed down the main pool. In my opinion, so began the 1st lie we were told!

The most serious and egregious event occurred on Thursday, February 07, 2013 when I had a massage at 6:30PM. Both of us had one the day before and it was enjoyable so I decided to book one on my own the next day and enjoy the benefits of the complicated $1500 resort credit system. During the message the therapist placed and eyepad over my eyes. I was heavily scented with mint and although it was bothering my eyes at the time I did not find it that uncomfortable, and as the massage was so enjoyable the day before, I took it as a new experience. However by the time I got back to the room my temples were burning. There were 5 distinct burn marks, four on the right side of my face and one on the left side. I immediately called the Spa and was told to come back so they could see it however, I was in pain, tired and could not walk the 15 minutes back to the Spa and getting a ride was not guaranteed. Finally a Spa employee by the name of Elena arrived at our room, she was very attentive and concerned about the burns and had brought some products along with her to aid relieving the pain.

According to Elena the massage therapist brings her own mint essential oils from home, certainly not a safe and best practice, but explains why I did not have a reaction the day before at our first massage. The following day, Friday and the last day of our vacation, I received a call from the front desk advising Elena had notified them of the incident and as they were very concerned for me they offered for me to see the resort Doctor at no charge.

I did see the Doctor and he gave me a prescription and instructed me to take it to the concierge. Upon presentation of the prescription I waited well over a half an hour while “Victoria” made several phone calls with respect to receiving approval for payment as I was not prepared to pay for it. Finally I asked if they could call me when it was ready as I didn’t want to waste any more of my vacation time especially as it was our last day. Suddenly a manager appeared by the name of “Elias” (unsure of the spelling) who informed me before I could get the prescription I would have to sign a liability waiver (which they referred to as a Disclaimer) absolving the resort of all responsibility for the incident. He went on to say the waiver ought to have been signed before I saw the Doctor. The excuse he used was he needed the waiver signed in order for their accounting department to pay for the Doctor visit and the prescription. This reasoning makes no sense, clearly the waiver was intended for its sole purpose and that was to absolve the resort of any or all liability. He then stated if I would not sign the waiver there would be no medicine, in my opinion he was holding the medicine hostage! I said I would not sign the waiver as I was under duress and would sign it if I could write “under duress” on the document, he said no, sign it as it is or no medicine. This now is tantamount to blackmail. I tore the waiver up and left angry and hurt. A member of your staff injures me using brought from home products that God only knows what is contained in it, the resort Doctor prescribes medication so obviously he thought the burns were significant enough to require prescription medication; and then the manager holds the medication hostage because I would not sign a legal document, on the spot without chance of consultation, absolving the resort of liability? Outrageous, I am appalled at the treatment, or lack of it, I was afforded.

To add insult to injury I was charged the 11% fee for using the resort credit for the massage that actually caused me physical injury and pain.

Due to a disability, and before we booked the vacation, we asked the travel agent, Yvonne Bullis of Around the World in 80 Ways based in Winipeg MB, succinctly if there was golf cart transportation around the resort and was assured she had checked and there was. However, there was not. There was a shuttle to and from the 2 lobbies, however when I asked if I could be taken to my room I was told no. I was told later by another employee if I got out of the cart and went to the next driveway I could get a ride. But this was inconsistent especially if the employees were tied up with departures and arrivals, when that occurred we had no choice, due to the disability but wait and it involved getting out of and into 2 carts which was difficult because of my disability. Disability access was almost nonexistent as there are only a few ramps, but for the most part, especially on The Spa side of the resort, where you cannot go many places without encountering a significant amount of stairs. For example, to go from the main beach to the nearest restroom involved the climbing of 4 or 5 sets of stairs which caused considerable pain at the end of the day due to my disability. Although the lagoon swimming area was very nice, there is a large step down into it and the railings provided no relief as they we very wobbly and in need of repair. Again, you needed to climb stairs to even get into the area. In addition the lagoon area is full of massive rocks.

The bed linens were stained as was the duvet. I requested the sheets be changed, following the outlined procedure, but they were obviously not unless the stains are in the exact same spot on all the sheets. We had to call daily for clean towels, hand clothes and face clothes even though we followed the outlined procedure for replacement. In addition many of the towels we were given were also stained, ripped or had significant wear patterns. There were no robes in the room as there was supposed to be so we had to call for those. We do not think it reasonable to have to call the front desk everyday of your vacation to have the things that are normally automatically provided for, or at the least, ought to be. And to crawl into bed every night with the company of other people’s stains was disgusting.

The room came with an in room liquor dispenser as advertised, however, on day 2 of the vacation it stopped working and it took the resort staff 24 hours of our vacation to get it working again. We called the desk 3 times and each and every time someone would come and leave with it still not working.

We paid $3208.36 of hard earned money for a trip we had anxiously awaited twenty years to take. A complete waste of money! We are not wealthy people, who knows when we will be able to take another vacation at this dollar level. I very much feel cheated and taken advantage of on this vacation.

As of today, February 16, 2013 I have emailed my concerns to our travel agent, Sunwing Vacations, and direct to ASP and have had no reply from any one. Not even one person has said we are sorry you had a negative experience.

You can be sure I will never stay in another Palace resort, nor do I have any intention of coming back when the place becomes a Hard Rock.

Although there were a few positives of the resort I am not going to focus on those things as the customer service manager only seems to pay attention to good comments and never addresses the negative. How many times do you have to tell guests you will address their issues and continue to do nothing about them. The weather was fantastic all the days of our stay +28 with only 20 minutes of light rain on our 1st day. But ASP really can`t take credit for the weather.

Room Tip: Do not take room 1916 or I suspect any other room on the first floor that is at an end of the hallwa...
9 Thank Sandra R
Penelope S, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Sandra R, We would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your concerns and observations. We at Aventura Spa aim to provide excellent service to our guests at all times, and to help us achieve this, your feedback is really important to us.
Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay, certainly this is a very unusual incident, and in no way reflect the excellence in service we have come to be recognized for.
Regarding your comments on your accommodations, we are very sorry to hear that you had trouble sleeping due to noises at the hallways, we have passed your comments in this regards to the Security staff and management team to ensure we continue delivering a relaxing ambiance to all our guests.
In regards to your comments about your burn marks, we offer you our sincere apologies for such an unfortunate incident, on the other hand we are glad that we could offer you immediate assistance by our staff; it is noteworthy to mention that in our SPA we use only high quality brands like: Natura Bisse, Pevonia Botanica, Lancaster, etc. Also that by having very extrict security controls and procedures we can guarantee that our staff cannot introduce any unauthorized products nor objects into our facilities, however your comments have been shared with several Key Staff in our organization, resulting in adjustments implemented to enable us to keep providing the excellent service that our valued guests have come to expect from us.
Our goal is that every vacation will be a memorable one; therefore we deeply regret not having met your expectations. And here in Aventura Spa Palace hope that you will give us the opportunity to change your perception towards our service and facilities in a future visit to be witness of our improvements.
Brighton, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2013

In 30 years of travel, this is the first time I have complained. If you read this and still go there, you deserve what you get.
The Hard Rock has bought this place and will be taking over Jan 1, 2014. They should just close it now. The 40 people that arrived "the next day" due to a cancelled flight are told by the front desk that the rooms are not ready. "5 minutes" really means two hours to get checked in. The bar service is painfully slow unless you are waving a five dollar bill. The Spa (and sister Cove) allow you to get as many towels you want. This sounds great until you see people at 5am with twenty of them covering chairs in shady spots, and sunny spots and by the lagoon and another set by the bar. 500 chairs reserved with 50 people in them. The night before check out we asked about a courtesy room as we had a 5:20pm pickup. No problem!
Upon check out- get the little dam ticket! We checked out, paid our bill and got our receipt. Oh, yeah they have ONE courtesy room for the 40 people leaving. at 10:30am, we are told that 3pm and 5pm are taken, 2pm and 4pm are one hour cleaning, so we can't help you.
Now we try to get on the bus to get the hell out of here- no ticket. But we have the receipt and we were not given a ticket- you must go get one! 30 minutes later even the guy that demanded it is trying to now help get one(I was not letting the bus driver on the bus without my wife on) She is inside being told that she cannot have a ticket even with the paid receipt , they do not have them at the front desk and must see the Sunwing rep- who is no longer on duty. When the bell hop finally goes in a stack of them appear and one is signed.

10 Thank Wayne G
Penelope S, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Hello Wayne G, thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.

We distress to learn that your vacation started off on the wrong foot with an uncharacteristically long check-in, we are working to improve our check in process to avoid this occur in the future.

Please accept our heartfelt apologies for any inconvenience that you may have experience during your stay, we regret your perception concerning our service.

We are a huge resort that is why we offer you various courtesy rooms; it seems this time unfortunate you did not enjoy that extra service.

We rarely receive comments concerning our bar, but we definitely will share to our B&F to take the corresponding corrective measures.

Once again thank you for your feedback, we hope to give us an opportunity to show you our improvements.
Norwich
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed at the ASP jan 27th-Feb 3rd. We were a little hesitant because of some of the reviews, but we shouldn't have been. No problem at the airport with transfers, quick check in. We arrived at noon anmd knew our room wouldn't be ready til 3pm. We had our swim siuts etc in our carry on and used the fitness centre washrooms to change. Found towels and a place on the beach NO PROBLEM!
We got the room we booked Deluxe Ocean View, 3rd floor and while checking in I asked for a mattress pad to be placed on the bed and it was! Awesome!
Our room was clean and well stocked. We called down to housekeeping to have extra pillows brought up and they arrived in 7 minutes. We also had a call to confirm that we had recieved them ok.
Used room service once. Called at 8:30 in the morning and was told it would take 35-40 minutes to recieve our order. It arrived in 25 minutes! Again we had a follow up call. Nice touch! What I would call the WOW FACTOR!
Great food, very clean resort. Used the credits toward a massage, lobster with my dinner, champagne and purchases.
You can ask for lobster at any restaurant and use your credits. Ends up costing you $5.00. Great deal!
I had left my earings on the night stand and when we came back to the room they were still there!! My husband tracked down the housekeeper and gave her a big tip!! That was awesome!
We asked for the red wine in our room to be switched for white and it was done right away! Again Awesome!
I have no problem in recommending this resort. Wish I was still there!
Loved playing hangman and pictionary by the pool!
Lot's of Canadians, eh!

Room Tip: Rooms that end in an odd number are gardenview, even number are oceanview. We stayed in room 3436. g...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank ParidiseSeeker
Hello ParidiseSeeker, We would like to thank you for taking the time to send your comments about our resort.

We are very glad to know that you received a wonderful service from our staff. It`s important to us make our guests feel special during your stay.

Our chef always is innovating flavors in food and beverages to experience our tropical touch with our Mexican hint and I`m sure that you loved it.

We hope that you plan come back to our hotel in your next vacations.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was our 20th visit to Aventura Spa. Needless to say, we love it there.

The majority of personnel who serve the public are new and still learning the standards that the resort requires. With that said, the service was exceptional, from the bell boys, public relations, front desk, bar tenders, wait staff, and housekeeping. Those are the people that everyone interacts with on a daily basis; it is easy to forget the people behind the scenes, cooks, dishwashers, security, maintenance, groundskeepers, etc. Everyone you pass always says “hola” with a smile on their face.

We heard some complaints from other guests about service, but what we observed; it was the guest that should be complained about. The old saying about “Ugly Americans”, this also includes the Canadians, came to light numerous times, such as talking down to the employees, demanding drinks that the resort did not have and then becoming belligerent about it, complaining that the employee did not speak perfect English. What we did notice was, the employee always smiled and did their best to make the guest satisfied. What happened to everyone, did we forget the word RESPECT?

Over a thousand employees that make minimum wage and they bust there butts to make our vacations something that will be a wonderful memory. Who could ask for more?

The resort is going thru a transition to Hard Rock Riveria Maya. There will be lots of construction throughout the year. From rooms, to the grounds to the lobbies, almost everything is being redone. From what we saw, everything is going to be newer and better, including new restaurants. Finally, the lagoon will have real sand, not the gravel that is now called a beach.

We were surprised that El Greco went to a buffet for dinner. We love El Greco and found that the buffet was great. Instead of ordering one entrée, you could sample numerous items, crab, shrimp, steak, and a little bit of everything. The food was awesome as usual.

One downside, the towel wars are out of control again. People put towels on chairs by 6AM and never show up all day to use the chair. One other minor problem, there is a lack of umbrellas around the pool. We noted that there were about 15 umbrellas at the VIP area and very few people there. Either move the umbrellas back to the pool or buy new ones for the pool area.

If you want a wonderful vacation, great food and drink, exceptional service, then go to Aventura Spa, soon to be Hard Rock Riveria Maya.

Thank you Aventura Spa, from the top management to the employee you never see, you are all wonderful and we will see you in the near future.

Room Tip: All the room are the same, only the views differ.
5 Thank pjstg
Hello Pjstg, thank you very much for your kindly comments.

We are very happy that someone like you who has been our customer for many years continue enjoying our service each vacation.

We always try to provide you a high quality service, that is why we give you a sincere smile since your arrival. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and amenities.

Once again we appreciate that you shared your experience with our readers. It’s very important to gather opinions from loyal guests like you which have seen grow up our family.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Rosewood Mayakoba
Rosewood Mayakoba
#1 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!