WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersGold level
Scotland
“Aventura Spa Palace”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

We have visited to Mexico four times and this was the best holiday ever. The staff in the hotel went out of their way to make our holiday an enjoyable experience. We have stayed in numerous five star hotels including both Riu Palaces in Playacar and this hotel was better by far. The attention to detail in the rooms was exceptional. The spa bath was amazing, and the hammock on the balcony was fab. The restaurants were lovely and the food on offer was to a very high standard. The restaurant staff were very professional indeed. The gardens and surrounding areas were beautiful, we would have no hesitation in returning to this beautiful oasis,

Room Tip: We stayed in room 804 in the building nearest to the wedding gazebo.The room was peaceful and had a...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ScotlandWestie
Guillermo G, Guest Relations Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear ScotlandWestie

On behalf of Aventura Palace, we would like to thank you for taking the time to send your comments and feedback about our resort. Feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us know how we are doing in terms of service and facilities.

Our goal is to always provide the best stay possible and we are really glad to know that you had a wonderful and enjoyable experience here at Aventura Palace. And we would be delighted to have the opportunity to host you again in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (787)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I'm currently at this resort and its our last day! :-(

My wife and i have had a wonderful stay. Usually we try to visit caribean resorts once as there are so many to try, however we both want to come back here soon!!!! Its that good!!!

Please dont listen tot he bad reviews, they are just cranky people that not only have rediculous expectations or unreal and impossible expectations.

Those same reviews scared us to death before we got here! But i can tell you this is a great resort and if you paid the slight premium to come here and you are a resonable person dont worry about a thing!!!!

Btw - i'm writing this review on the beach using the resort wide free wifi. The rooms can call Canada and USA for FREE!!!!

All the employees are VERY nice and helpful, not one bad apple in them!

Food was great! Lots of selection, the restaurants dont require reservations.

Lots of bars all over the resort. And they stock all the premium boos

If the hotel isnt too busy the resort credits are were easy to use and were well worth! Minus the 11% admin fee its a awesome deal. Just book early and make use of the spa (ask for theripist Luz, she is great!!!) . We used up all our credits.

The cove instead of the beach isnt a big deal! If you like waves just head to playa del carmen for the day. Infact not having waves was kind of nice and being able to snorkle with fhe fish that come into the cove.

I highly recommend this resort!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012
7 Thank Dan F
Dear Dan

Portland, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

I had to really think about this before writing it. I read alot of mixed reviews before going to ASP (12/7 to 12/16) and I strongly believe that your vacation is what you make it. I don't care if my room is made up by a certain time, or it there are spots on mirror, or if I have to wait a little longer for dinner. I don't even care about the "towel game". The little things don't generally bother us and we really appreciate everything the staff does to make our vacation enjoyable. It's just that on this trip, there were so many little things that it just wasn't the Palace experience we've had in the past. I just felt defeated half way through the week. It was very obvious that the facilty was overbooked, the staff was overwhelmed, and there were shortages on the basics. Even though they are not physically under construction to transition to the Hard Rock brand, there is a difference in "something". Even some of the staff commented on some of the differences. I'm not going to go into all the details because I don't want anyone to be anxious about their upcoming vacation. The grounds were beautiful, we did end up with a good room, the Spa was WONDERFUL, the food was good, and the entertainment and waitstaff were great. Strictly personal preference, we now realize we prefer the smaller resorts and even though I was well aware there was no beach, we found that we really missed it. We took the tour up the HRC for the day and we LOVED it. We've already decided that is where we will be staying next year. I remember the reviews of HRC were not great while they were going through the HR transition, either. Even though ASP isn't the place for us (again, strictly personal preference), I do look forward to visiting and seeing the changes after the conversion. Still giving ASP 4 stars because I think most of our issues were temporary and we did have a good vacation. Special thanks goes out to Juana, Enrique at front desk, Ofelia who pre-arranged our Spa, and Celine at the pool for putting up with us. Note to Palace/HR Management - please try to get your reservation staff some consistant information. There is nothing worse than having to call multiple times, getting multiple answers to the same question, and then showing up after traveling thousands of miles to find out the answers were wrong.

Room Tip: Clarin building room numbers ending in an even number have good pool and ocean views.
8 Thank HolaDecember12
Dear HolaDecember12

alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at the Aventura the 20-25th of December. All of the reviews on here made me very nervous, so I went in with a little bit of a negative expectation. We did the concierge level, which really was only a few hundred dollars more, and it was absolutely worth it. We never had a problem getting a chair. We did go reserve them early after one day, just to be certain we got the spot we wanted. The food was pretty good. I wouldn’t call it great, but I was pleasantly surprised with how good it was. Breakfast was my favorite. I enjoyed the Italian the least, and the Japanese and Steakhouse the most. Never once did I feel like our meal was bad.
We did not feel ripped off at all by the $1500 credits. I guess it just depends how you look at it. We used approx. $900 of our credit, so our bill checking out was $90. I was thrilled to have done 3 spa treatments, go on a tour to Tulum and my husband golfed for that price. I have never been one to go to spas every day, but with our credits, I had one package with a massage/facial/body scrub, hot stone massage, and a back massage (complimentary with Concierge level). My husband had a facial, which he really liked as well. The spa truly is fabulous. Yes, we didn’t get the appointment times we wanted every time, but a little persistence goes a long way. If you ask nicely and tip a little, it’s amazing what people will do for you. I also got a pedicure in the salon, which wasn’t great. I would not waste my time or resort credits there.
The rooms were nice, but not fabulous. I am a little snobby when it comes to accommodations, and they really do have decent rooms. They need to upgrade linens, but everything was very clean. We stayed on the first floor. If there had been a 2nd or 3rd floor available we would have preferred that.
A few other things. The gym was absolutely top notch. They have spin classes, great free weights, and plenty of cardio machines. We went every day and it was pretty crowded. They could have gotten a few more elliptical machines, but other than that no complaints.
I would definitely return to the Aventura Spa. The staff was very friendly. They did not always know exactly what was going on, but they were always trying very hard to make sure you were enjoying your vacation. The big thing was, take time your first day there to book everything. It makes for a much more enjoyable time. If they say they don’t have something, be persistent and keep asking. They will get it done for you eventually. It was a bit of a hassle to book all of our spa/golf/tours, but was worth taking the hour to do it all in the long run.

Room Tip: Farther away buildings are a little quieter.
4 Thank greatvacay
Dear greatvacay

Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

I arrived at Aventura Spa Palace with my girlfriend on Sunday December 16, 2012. The resort was big and clean, and we had a great first impression. First thing we did was having dinner at El Greco restaurant. The food was really good, and the staff were really friendly.
I left the resort on Sunday December 23, 2012 after I had a great time.
Rooms are usually ready for check-in at 3:00 pm, so if you arrive before that, you have to wait. But you still can go anywhere in the resort and use it as soon as you arrive even before you get you room. The best thing I liked about the resort that it's 18+. There were no kids at all :)
The spa was really good, and the food was great. This resort does not have beach beside it, so swimming only in the pools.
The $1500 resort credit was not really good! They charge very expensive for everything you want to do using the resort credit. Trips cost $1500 using resort credit, cost only $500 if you buy it on your own

4 Thank Qasem_N
Dear Qasem_N

Canby, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

My wife and I just returned from 8 days here and we really enjoyed every part of it. The place is beautiful, the staff are great, and the food is always great. Treat yourself to the spa! You have to do that, it is wonderful! The biggest surprise was the Thai food. We eat Thai often and both of us felt the Thai food was the best we've had. Crazy good! Looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: We would go back to our room 2627. It was quiet and close to everything. Any room in the 1600, 260...
2 Thank brentmmcneill
Dear brentmmcneill

Chesapeake Beach, MD
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

1. Giving me the appearance that I’m being treated as a special guest when checking-in, when in fact nothing gets done, I had to wait about 3 hours to get my room after my initial contact with the front desk.
2. Deceitful advertising about room upgrade available upon arrival using your $1,500 resort credit, when in fact no such rooms are available.
3. Disingenuous advertising about the actual cost of the Spa treatment. Nothing is mentioned on the Adventura Palace Spa web page that you must pay a 11% service fee with real dollars. We ended up with a $299.25 bill after using our $1,500 credit for spa treatments.
4. Scheming advertising about the two free tickets for a trip to XCaret Natural Park when booking your trip. We booked our trip on Nov 4, 2012, with arrival on Dec 8, 2012. The booking agent never offered the two free tickets. Once we got there the only way we could get the tickets was by sitting thru a membership sales pitch. The sales team wanted $12,000 to join their membership, the session lasted over two hours. Only then were we allowed to get the two tickets at a reduced rate, we had to pay $30 for the tickets.
5. Illusionary customer service practice, one day our room was not cleaned by 5PM. We called housekeeping, we were told that someone would be there immediately. By 5:30PM no one was there to clean the room, we called housekeeping, again we were told that someone would be there immediately. No one was there by 6PM, we called housekeeping, and again we were told that someone would be there immediately. The maid showed up at 6:30PM, her normal time to turn-down the beds. Housekeeping never had any intention of sending someone before the normal bed turn-down time.
6. Disingenuous customer service practice, we had to wait a half hour to get a table at the italian restaurant “La Tratoria”, when we could see that at least 2 tables were vacant on the outside, and 6 tables were also vacant on the inside.
7. Poor set-up for the nightly shows. The lobby of the Adventura Cove Palace in not conducive to a good viewing of the shows. If you don’t get there there at least 15 minutes before show time you end-up watching the show behind the fountain in the middle of the lobby,
8. Crafty scheme to make you believe that you’re getting a good deal on professional photos by the pool, with snakes or exotics birds by using your $1,500 resort credit. A five photos sets cost $400 resort credit, but you must pay 11% service fee, which is $44, making each picture cost $8.80, a bit much for one picture.
9. Cunning extra charge for the Romantic Lobster Dinner, you can use your $1,500 resort credit to pay for the dinner but you must pay the 11% service fee, which amounts to $38.50 for the dinner. Since this is an all inclusive resort where all your meals are free, the 11% service fee should not be applied.
10. Lack of staff at some restaurants, notably at “La Tratoria” the night we were there only two waiters were in attendance, maybe that’s the reason we waited for a half hour for our table.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
21 Thank Goldie1945
Xavier V, Guest Relations Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Goldie1945

On Behalf of the Aventura Spa Palace we apologize for the inconveniences that you had during your stay. We did have an issue with overbooking in one of the busiest day of the year, still the time that it took for you to get your room is unacceptable. We are aware of this issue we already increase our staff in all areas of our Hotel to deal with the very high occupancy. Most of our issues were due to the popularity of the Aventura Spa Palace. And that gives us the enthusiasm to do things better during this transition to the HardRock brand. With the experience that we had transforming our other property in Cancun and seeing that has been a brilliant success. We know this transformation is going to be very successful also.
We have dealt with all of our issues and we are going to continue to operate without causing any inconveniences to our guest.

We hope you give us the chance to host you again here in the Aventura Spa Palace or any of other properties in Mexico or the Dominican Republic.

Best Regards.
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#14 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 14,427 reviews

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!