My wife and I are typical boomers, kids are gone and we are now starting to travel a bit for fun. When we sought out a vacation site in Playa del Carmen we specifically looked for an adult hotel with lots of ammenities that was 'supposed' to be close to Playa del Carmen. Our travel agent recommended a few and we settled on the Spa Palace. 12 minutes north of Playa - a long walk but doable. Much to my surprise it was 30 some minutes south, even past Excaret Park. Well that was the only downside and really they had that fixed too because the shuttle went in to town every day and it was for free. Taxis were $200 pesos each way.
The hotel was immense and had both adult and family sides, we had the best of both and access to the whole site. There were several first class restaurants, so much so we hardly had interest in going into town for dinner as we thought we would. The Greco Seafood restaurant was our first stop and we were greeted with extraordinary service and great seafood dishes. All service was plated and portions just right to allow you to enjoy each course. Right from appies to the dessert everthing was wonderful. Second nioght we tried Italian at La Trattoria, again an excellent meal and good service. We did notice it starting to get busy around 8 pm so we decidsed to come a little earlier and entry was no problem. We tried La Heurta - California Light - well the advertising and the restaurant manangement haven't quie got this one in sync. It was high end Mexican, where California Light came from who knows. Food was still good. We did venture over to the 'Cove' (family side as well and were treated to a traditional Mexican meal with a wondeerful marichi trio and lively entertainment. During the day the Greco serves as the luncheon buffet - still serving first class seafood but buffet style. You could have al the shrimp, salads beef, salmon, squid or a burger if you really had to then run back outside and hit the pool or beach again.
Well, beach is a bit of a misnomer. Like the Excaret Resort the beach is carved out of the coral reef. The Spa Palace however has done it well and mad a huge seawater lagoon that give you the opportunity to get wet and swim with the small fish in safety. The hotel ovberall was fantastic and we would go back in a heartbeat.
The rumours of the conversion to a Hard Rock Hotel are true but it will be a positive move. The hotel is ready for a facelift after 12 years of service and the switch to HR will give that opportunity as well as to introduce some new vitality to its life. Yes they too have the 'membership' salepeople ready to enroll you into tthe HR lifestyle and enjoy their facilties in the Caribean and on the west coast of Mexico.
The staff at the hotel were excellent, upon our arrival the Hotel Services staff went out f their way to ensure we understood what the $1500 credits could be applied to and what amenities were available and how to book them. Rooms were well maintained and cleaned thoroughly each day. All the mechanical stuff worked well and you would never know the place was 12 years old.
Again, we would go back in a flash and probably host our sons wedding there. It is a bit of a hike to Playa but all the outdoor activities like diving, snorkelling, dolphin swims are withing 5 minutes of the hotel so it is a saw off.
Go and enjoy. we did.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A blend of relaxation and adventure awaits you at this adults only retreat. Set in the Riviera Maya overlooking the aquamarine Caribbean Sea, enjoy 1,266 luxurious accommodations with double Jacuzzi, balcony (most with hammock), and 24 hr. room service. Among the facilities to highlight is the state-of-the-art spa offering a perfect day of pampering. Guests can also enjoy seven restaurants, several bars, a disco, outdoor/indoor pools, and unlimited tours as part of the all-inclusive package. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and Hotel.de so you can book your Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aventura Hotel Palace
- Aventura Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Mayan Riviera Palace
- Adventure Spa Palace
- Hotel Mayan Palace
- Adventura Spa Palace
- Aventura Palace Spa
- Aventura Spa Palace Riviera Maya
- Aventura Spa Palace Resort
- Aventura Spa Palace Mexico