“Great adult getaway”

GreenLeadersGold level
Columbia, MD
“Great adult getaway”
Reviewed June 22, 2003

Our honeymoon at Aventura was great. We took tours of Tulum , Chitzen Itza and Coba. We also traveled to Xel-ha and made frequent trips to Play de Carmen. The Spa facilities were 1st class. You can get your rubdown in the prestine spa or have it done in the glass-walled airconditioned huts outside. Adults only too, so no noisy kids running around.Wife and I made it our winter destination and became Palace Premier members.

Mara J, Customer Service at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, February 28, 2017
Dear member, thank you for taking the time to shared us your comments. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (841)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 22, 2003

We made our reservations directly through the Palace resorts. This seemed like a good idea at first, but turned out to be a huge problem later. Basically, the resort has no contact with the reservation 1-800 number, so if you have a problem with rates, transfers, or anything associated with booking, you're totally screwed. We spent every day of our vacation stopping by the customer service desk (yeah, that's a relaxing vacation), trying to get reimbursed for transfers we not only paid for up front, but were forced to pay again at the airport before we could get to the resort. Why, you ask?? Because the disorganized reservation department didn't send us anything but a one page fax with a confirmation number. No transfer vouchers, nothing. We weren't told up front what to expect, so we weren't aware that we were going to need any other proof other than the fax. The useless guest services manager at the hotel gave us "her word" that she would have us reimbursed.
We've been home for a month now and have paid $140 for transfers that were only to have cost us $60. So much for her word. Hopefully this review will cost someone in the customer service department at Palace Resorts a whole lot more than $80. Resort was nice, but dealing with this crap is quickly overshadowing my memory of a good time. There are a lot more resorts down there, We'll be looking around for a place with a little more organization, communication, and customer service priorities.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh pa
Reviewed June 17, 2003

I read every review there was before going to Spa Palace and I didn't quite know what to expect. To my utter disbelief, I arrived at the most awesome resort I had ever been to. I have been to the French Riviera and stayed at the Intercontinental, stayed in Bellagio, the real one ON LAKE COMO, and bunches of Caribbean spots. None compare to the sweet service and the attention to detail these folks administer. The food was Mexican! And wonderful. I own 2 spas and the treatments there are as good as they get. The service is better than most. I noticed some people complained about the beach. Well, I've stayed at 4 other Riviera Maya resorts and I loved this tranquil lagoon. The water was perfect for swimming and just floating around in. The drinks were awesome and the choices of quiet areas and party areas made it so easy to find whatever you were in the mood for. I spent the first 2 days alone and never felt intimidated or out of place. I met terrific people and when my better half arrived all the staff acted like they already knew him. Unbelievable. I plan on taking my staff at my spa for a bonus trip next March...everyone should be this pampered at least once in their lives.

15 Thank kdonalson
West Monroe, LA
Reviewed June 17, 2003

My husband and I just returned from a glorious trip to Aventura Spa Palace Resort on the Riviera Maya. We stayed there from June 13-17, and immediately regretted not staying longer. We arrived at around 4:00pm on Friday and the airport was bustling with tourists, and indeed there were various salespeople trying to get us to buy transportation from them, but we basically ignored them.The Funjet representative was waiting for us outside of the airport, and we only had to wait about 10 minutes for a ride. In fact, we were apparently waiting for a van full of other passengers, and when they didn't arrive, the representative had someone take us in a private car for the 40 minute trip to ASP.As we turned into the resort, my mouth literally dropped open at the beauty of it. The landscape was lush and well-manicured, and the buildings were HUGE. As soon as we pulled up to the lobby, a bellboy ordered us to drop the luggage, and stated "You are now on vacation."Check in was fairly swift, though I thought it was insane that you pay a $100 fee if you lose your wristband that entitles you to all of the food and liquor you can stand. $100 is pretty steep. We were given champagne and numerous brochures, including maps of the property and planned activities. Our bellboy took us to our rooms, and we were fairly pleased with it.The rooms: The room as smalled than I thought, but not too small. It had a two person jacuzzi as well as a king sized bed, balcony w/ hammock, and a minibar. The minibar only held water, sodas, and beer, but there were bottles of scotch, rum, tequila, and brandy hanging from the wall that were easily accessible. The shower stall was very large and had a bench you could sit on. We had a nice platter of grapes and cheese waiting for us along with french bread and crackers. There was also a bottle of wine, but we aren't big on wine. Room pros: Large, fairly comfortable bed with blow dryer, terry cloth robes, and plenty of bubble bath for the jacuzzi. Maids make towels into various anlose to bed, and we could often hear people coming and going in the hallway. View was supposed to be an oceanview room, but we had to crane our necks all the way to the right tio see the ocean. Also, someone was moving things around in the room next door to ours early one morning, and it was quite loud and kept us awake.The room service/maid service pros: Room service was speedy and friendly, except on the first day. We had put our card on the door the night before indicating we wanted orange juice, coffee, and sweet rolls at 9:00am the next morning. The breakfast didn't get there until 9:45. Our last morning there we ordered coffee and juice, but the waiter didn't realize we wanted juice and only brought coffee. We stated that was alright and he left. He reappeared about 5 minutes later with a full breakfast for each of us, as well as the orange juice. Maids were friendly and the rooms were kept very clean. Cons: Never enough towels! Maids didn't replenish minibar every 48 hours as the policy states. I had to call downstairs to get a bottle of Bacardi rum, as ours had been empty for awhile. They apologized and immediately brought a new bottle.Restaurant pros: El Greco buffet was outstanding! Lots of options on their buffet. Snack bar was also good for snack food. Mundacas was also nice as you can sit outside and watch the waves crash against the beach. La Hacienda was mediocre at best, and Ventanas was a great buffet as well. Restaurant pros: Excellent service. Some restaurants had beautiful views. Cons: I ordered filet mignon twice during our stay, and was told that they were out on both occasions.Tours/Shuttles: This is where our biggest complaints are. We wanted to go to Tulum, but tours were booked up. They didn't give us much time to decide. In addition, the resort tells you that they have shuttles back and forth to the different Palace resorts. They have ONE shuttle at 8:50 am. We wanted to go into Cancun, and ended up taking a taxi for $50 one way.Gym/Spa: Great, state of the art gym equipment.Lagoon/Bars you are never far a way from a Pina Colada. There were some drunk people at the swim up bar, but they were harmless.All in all, our experience was magical and we highly recommend it to anyone.

8 Thank Ashley K
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 15, 2003

We went to ASP for our honeymoon in early June (4 nights). Lots of other honeymooners too. Most people were in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. Overall, the resort was better than we expected. We didn't expect a 5-star top-of-the-line place but this was almost to that level, and a good value! The amenities were comparable to a mid-range hotel such as Hampton Inn. We especially liked the extras, such as the in-room minibar and ceiling fan. The resort was very clean and well-maintained. Food was generally above average, especially in presentation. Good variety. They don't do a great job with stuff like pizza and deli sandwiches, but consider that you are in Mexico! Local cuisinse, tropic produce and seafood are outstanding! Drinks were moderate in intensity; variations were due to the bartender than some resort policy. Service was very good, although attentiveness dropped when the resort was more crowded. Most staff you encounter are bilingual and eager to please. The pools are excellent, especially the cross-current pool. We didn't think much of the lagoon, but we did the Tulum & Xpu-Ha excursion and enjoyed the beach there instead. We stayed near the end of the Spa side, but liked the quieter atmosphere and didn't mind the extra walking; plus, you can take a shuttle from the north to south lobbies. We really liked the free hydrotherapy portion of the spa! We booked through Expedia, and saved money, but check your seat assignments with the airlines, our seats were separated. Note: Nothing was mentioned to us about time-share. General caveat: if you head to the tropics in June, the sun is really intense! Being from the north, this caught us off guard. Bring lots of sunscreen and put it on again and again and again (don't buy it there, they charged $16 U.S.!).To end, we enjoyed our experience and recommend the resort. I didn't expect a 5-star experience, but this resort comes close! We hope to return someday for an anniversary. -D & N

8 Thank red10dc
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed June 15, 2003

Hey folks. My husband and I are big trip advisor fans but neither of us have posted a review, so we thought we owed one about now. Also - hi to all those we met at the resort. We found a LOT of people look at this sight, so its a pretty neat scenario. I'm going to try to just comment on things that we found contrary to things we read in other reviews.The all-inclusive part was great. The free-flowing drinks were good and strong, soda/beer/water in the room was really helpful, and the food (which is really the only reason the place didn't get 5 stars) was OKAY, but at least you didn't feel guilty not eating it.Tip tips: 1st - do tip - We spent about $100 in tips and it really encourages better service from your maid, turn-down servixe, mini-bar filler, and bar guys. To the room people, we'd leave broken spanish notes with dollars or pesos on it. If we needed more lotion, we'd leave empty lotion bottles on the note. Didn't get much out of the tipping food waitstaff because frankly you never go back or get the same people again. But do tip if you think got great service cause it helps someone else probably. Lastly, we got a bad view room initially and the bell hop got us changed quick! We tipped him $20 and that was cheap for a great room all week! Being super nice does pay!All the rooms are identical, so the views are the big difference. Building 5 is the best building (as we saw on Trip Advisor before we went) due to its pretty great views and location in the property, but we were in Building 8 and were very pleased. Another couple told us that he started calling 2 weeks before to make sure he got Bldg 5 and it did work for them!On the food, we definitely liked the outside patio restaurants the best. They had better variety of foods but still had typical American fare (burgers, salads, nachos, pizza). We are also sushi lovers so we ate at the Asian restaurant 3 times.... it was decent sushi.... but the right price - Free! We ate at the Mexican restaurant 2.5 times and it was okay. It was foo-foo fo They actually had a lot of seafood dishes which was also hit and miss. The Italian place had the hands down best desserts, but the buffet there is yuck! On Room service: BEWARE. It was very unpredictable... the breakfast was good one day, didn't show another day, poor another day. Just not good. Also, the regular food was b-a-d. BAD. We weren't the only ones who said it! We hijacked some crackers here and there at the restaurants for a little snack in the room. We probably could have brought some snacks or something from home, but hey, its an ALL-EXCLUSIVE!Last thing.. SPA was really great. We met many people from other Palace resorts there to partake because it was the best. Note though.... no couple massages. Not a biggie - but we wanted it and they don't do it.Email me if you have questions. Enjoy your trip -Francesca

8 Thank fhalter
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 12, 2003

The following is a chronological report from our trip to Mexico (Aventura Spa Palace Resort, an adults-only (16+) resort near Puerto Aventuras, State of Quintana Roo, on the 'Mayan Riviera' 40 miles south of Cancun), May 20 - 24, 2003. Our second trip to the area as we took a family vacation to the Iberostar Paraiso Beach in 2001.Tuesday -- Catch a short flight to Houston to connect to our flight to Cancun, both on Continental and on time. Flew through Mexican Immigration, got our luggage and dodged the tour 'sharks' (caught but said 'no'), get to Customs and got the 'green light', dodge more tour 'sharks' (fell for it again but said 'no') and out to find Funjet representative. Since no one else around to share a van with, we get a 'private car' (don't envision a Lincoln Town Car - envision a Dodge Stratus) with Gustavo, a good driver (unlike most that drive like a maniac), for the 50 minute ride to Aventura Spa Palace Resort (ASP). Quick check in at the Spa side lobby with a glass of Champagne, golf cart it up to the room (Aventura side, 'Accordian' Building, Room 2323, or the 'Michael Jordan Suite' as I called it - or would that be Room 2345?). Nice spacious room with big tub and shower, a king bed, and a hooch dispenser attached to the wall. Then go to our 'Welcome Orientation' which is informative but also a time share sale attempt which we brush off. Then went to Chaza Travel desk to sign up for our one included tour (Tulum ruins). Dinner time so we hit the buffet at Ventanas which is good with Mexican wine and I liked the Roquefort beef, then look around some more and sit by pool, check out the Aventura side lagoon and walk around beach which is like concrete and has lots of rocks. Then call kids (AT&T Wireless turned to Telcel GSM) and was very clear. Go to sleep early after a long travel day.Wednesday -- Up early to shower and shave (so much for the 'Agua Purificada' sign as I fill the sink to shave with brown water! - I guess it COULD still be pure?!) and head to breakfast buffet in Mmeet with Funjet rep to schedule return to airport for ride home and he tries to sell us some tours but no sale. Then out the door for the walk to Puerto Aventuras (PA) to set up snorkeling trip and look around. Go to Dive Aventuras and no trip 'til 1:00 so we look around PA and watch the Dolphin Discovery. Back to Dive Aventuras and just the 2 of us go out in the boat with Juan to Xpu-Ha Reef and see some fish with a Barracuda sighting at the end, and then to Caleta Inlet with fish but it's very murky so can't see well or take many pictures. On the way back to the dive shop I notice a neat trick; when I lean my head forward, water runs out of my nose (I believe this is due to Endoscopic sinus surgery I had in 2000 but didn't happen when I snorkeled in 2001 - oh well!). Then head to The Cove bar and have some Dos Equis on the swing / barstool. Head back (literally!) to ASP for snack at Aventura Beach Bar and then to the beach (picked up some little shells - more on this later) but cut short by thunder. Back to room for hammock time and a shower and a little rest and notice a couple of times one of shells from the beach is in different place than we had placed it - pick it up and some little legs are hanging out so we escort it back to the beach and off to La Hacienda restaurant for dinner. Sauteed Tequila Shrimp and Beef Tenderloin were great. Then go to the Q Bar to watch Spurs game in Espanol (was TNT broadcast, with ESPN Deportes sportscasters, on Sky Network) with some drinks, then to sleep.Thursday: Up early and head again to Mundaca for the breakfast buffet and then to Aventura lobby to catch tour to Tulum with Chaza Travel. Stop to get people at Xpu-Ha Palace, bus votes to skip the Lapis jewelry store, then to Tulum ruins. Skirt past the billion sales people to the restroom where it's 20 pesos to take a leak, though money taker's not real into it. Then walk down the path to the site with our very interesting and excellent Mayan guide, Andres. Then get free time to look around; the site is very interesting e tram back and stop for a refreshment when I notice Modelo regional beers Leon and Montejo in the cooler. SCORE!!!!!! Get back back to the tour bus and since there's a 5 minute wait I run and get another Leon (definitely give these a try when in the Yucatan; didn't see hide nor hair of them in '01 but saw a lot this time, including the Airport main terminal). Got to witness the interesting driving technique on the two lane part of 307 (the main coast road from Cancun to Tulum) where when you pass, you drive down the middle of the road and the cars coming and going get over. Back at ASP and head to the Spa to set up massages for Friday, look around the Spa side and lunch at El Greco. To the room to change into our suits and to the beach, then pool where the water felt like 90 - 95 degrees F. Drops of rain so head back to room, do some hammock time, shower, then head to the Spa side oriental restaurant, Mo Mo No Hana, which was good, grab a beer and head back to room to try out jacuzzi but when we turn jets on some funky brown stuff started floating around so we bailed, went to sleep.Friday: Sleep in! I went out to take beach and pool pics before crowded (although I did notice one particular hill, which I called 'Coconut Hill', was already occupied), head to breakfast at Mundaca again since it's close to the room, then go to beach and hang there. First sign of a little dehydration but the Banana Daiquri at 9:30 a.m. may have helped that. Took the kayaks out for a spin around the Lagoon, then to the Pool Bar area for a burger. Then to the pool with no chairs so we dump our stuff and jump in. Stay there awhile then up to room to shower and over to 'Spa Palapa D' for an 80 minute Therapeutic Massage (''A restoring massage that employs various techniques like acupressure, reflexology and body stretching to achieve a deep therapeutic effect helping to reduce stress, improves circulation and joint mobility.'') for each of us. Looked around the Spa side some more and called Funjet rep to verify our pick-up. Then head to en over to Spa lobby to pay bill and then to the Q Bar to watch some of the Spurs game, then back to room to pack and off to sleep.Saturday: Up early to finish packing and over to Mundaca for quick breakfast, call for the Bellman and golfcart it to the Spa lobby to catch shuttle to airport. 8 people in van and we watch the van in front of us hit a deer just north of Playa del Carmen without slowing down. Get to airport and grab a bite at Burger King and a Victoria beer in the Corona Bar (also had Leon and Montejo). Flight out of Cancun packed and takes off on time but we have to wait for our gate to clear in Houston and our hour between flights shrinks. We make it through U.S. Immigration and Customs and run (Go O.J., Go!) and barely make our connecting flight. Land on time and home at 6:05 p.m.Summary: Great trip! Room was nice, food was excellent, even the weather was typical tropical with warm days, late afternoon cloud build-up and maybe a sprinkle, and a pleasant night.Toplessness: Being adults-only, the topless issue is probably more of a factor than most non-adults resorts on the Mayan Riviera. My casual survey found about 15% of the women (99.9% men) topless down at the lagoon (Aventura side only) while only saw one or two at the pool. Nearly all were unobtrusive about it and stayed on the loungers. I only (vaguely) remember 3 that went on a 'Coconut Parade' (including one that went around the lagoon on a kayak and one parked right in a walkway in the middle of the pool). As a 'prude American', I have to admit it was a little weird then seeing these people in a restaurant ... but no big deal.Only complaint would be the beach - we knew that ASP has a lagoon instead of a traditional beach. However, I didn't think it (the northern end of the Aventura side) would be like a hardened bunker and have 1 inch rocks in places. Will admit the lagoon has it's advantages where you can use it all the time and no red flags, which would be the case and is proven when you look over the breaker wall. Didn't help seeing thelum. This would be the ONLY reason I would not recommend the resort (we're not the type that stay the same resort twice though, so we won't return).This report and MANY pictures available at: ...

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rosewood Mayakoba
Rosewood Mayakoba
#1 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,618 reviews

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!