“Great Vacation”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Heath, TX
“Great Vacation”
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Visited Riviera Maya in early July.

The good: Property was nice and generally well maintained. Staff was attentive. Evening shows were definitely worthwhile. The Circus Show is really entertaining...make sure you don't miss it! The food was good in all of the restaurants on the Hacienda side. We never made it to the Heaven side for any dining. That said, we're not foodies so I wouldn't say we're very tough critics. The spa was great. We enjoyed a couples massage and our therapists were top notch.

The bad: We found the limitless resort credits to be less than limitless. A decent perq if used in the spa...we used the credits to book our couples massage and the 20% service charge resulted in us paying ~$80 out of pocket for an 80 minute massage that would have been about twice that much for comparable service back home. Beyond the spa the resort credits can be used for (a) off site tours that we otherwise wouldn't take advantage of given the fact that there are better options, (b) golf, which we elected not to do girl been the temperature, or (c) dinners on the beach which I don't feel would be worth what you would pay out of pocket for the 20% service fee. Although I would classify this as a minor annoyance, it is worth noting that the website advertises DVD players and XBOX 360s in the rooms we booked, that turned out not to be the case on both counts. That said, we wouldn't have gotten much use out of either and we didn't bother raising it with guest services.

The great: Our rooms...we booked a 2 bedroom Sky Terrace which includes two patios and a separate, extremely spacious terrace on the roof, complete with a separate hot tub. The 2 bedroom Sky Terrace is actually two separate adjoining rooms, one with 2 doubles, the other with a king. Each room has it's own separate full bath with shower. The room with double beds is the only room with a bathtub while the king room has access to the roof Terrace. We were in rooms 8337 and 8335 which I thought were great from a location standpoint...fairly centrally located, good view and close proximity to the elevator (a major plus after a couple of days climbing stairs to the 3rd floor). Also in "the great" category, our pool waiter, Marvin. He was incredibly attentive, extremely professional and great for offsite recommendations.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank sschultz007
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Hi there sschultz007,

It is always with great enthusiasm that we receive these fantastic reviews from our esteemed guests who enjoyed the time of their lives at our hotel. Your review ignites our passion for service and we are glad to see that you loved the fantastic Sky Terrace, its amazing view, of course the excellent culinary experience and above all the unparallel service from guys like Marvin who took your experience to the Rock Star level.
I would like to take this opportunity also to offer you our humble apologies for any inconvenient you may have encountered during your stay. It is important to note that the 20% nominal fee is intended to offset our various partners and support the staff that has joined the Limitless Resort Credit promotion like, tours, photography and beauty salon services so we can ensure continued investment in the development and enforcement to keep this promotion as strong as it has been.
It has been a pleasure having you as our guests. We hope to welcome you back again soon. Cordially,

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,328)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I love the riviera maya but the sea is not particularly easy for kids, forget about toddlers. Hard rock Riviera Maya has one of the best beaches for kids! I don't know if they built it or if it is natural but they have a protected shallow beach perfect for babies, toddlers, young kids and non swimmers. I enjoyed the sea with my five year old, my four year old niece, my two year and nine year old nephews, It was amazing, making memories for life. They didn't even go to the kids club! That is just how much time we spend in the sea. The whole rewards or points deal that they have, we didn't pay attention to it. I know that people have complained about it, but we used it to go to see the dolphins and were amazed and pretty happy with it! Food is just lovely and perfect for families with kids. The pools are just perfect to relax as the kids can go safely inside them, and while you are there with a margarita in your hand you might get a visit from an Iguana. Everything was just perfect! We usually don't repeat hotels just for the sake of knowing new places, but i think we will make and exception with this one. I must say the guys in the reception are so fun and nice, the waiters, almost everyone was excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms are just great!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank AlineD2010
Hi AlineD2010,

On behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya I would like to thank you for sharing this incredible feedback with us. Your review confirms our commitment to create authentic experiences that rock for every guest. I cannot stress enough our satisfaction for knowing that you and your kids had the best time ever at our beach…Thank you! What a great way to take advantage of your resort credits by swimming with dolphins. All in all it sounds like a truly Rock Star getaway. We are very excited to hear that you will make an exception to your rule and will come back for another amazing stay with us.
Cordially,

Reviewed July 11, 2014

The only complaint we have about our stay is the pressure to "join" the membership club, become a VIP. If you visit this resort, I advise you to absolutely NOT waste your time taking the 2 hour tour/presentation. They offered us incentives (free excursions, spa) for sitting through the presentation, then it was like pulling teeth to get them to keep their word. We felt tricked. Stay away from the Legendary team.

With that being said, the service around the resort was 5 star! You felt like the were all your friends by the end of your stay and we hated to leave them!

Zen restaurant was our very favorite!

And the couples massage is a MUST!

Our girls are 12 and 15 and we found it to be a very safe and exciting place for the. Lots to do poolside with newly made friends and then family time in the evening.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Melany S
Hello Melany S,

Thank you for letting me know and please accept my humble apologies for any inconvenient that it may have caused you. On the other hand I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed such a great time at our resort and that you received such a highly attentive service from all our staff that always treated you like the Rock Star you are. It’s been great having you with us. We look forward to your next visit. Sincerely,

Brazoria, TX
Reviewed July 11, 2014

This hotel was formerly the Palace, and has been beautifully remodeled as the Hard Rock Hotel. We had the Deluxe Platinum Grand Sky Terrace room on the Heaven (adult) side, which is advertised on their web page as a 1446 sq. ft. room. In truth, the room is about 450 sq. ft. Apparently, the balcony and sky terrace are included in the room square footage. The balcony was nice to sit on in the morning and enjoy a cup of coffee. But the sky terrace, accessible from a stair way in the room, was much to hot to spend any time in. It contained a hot tub (empty) and a couple of plastic chairs (the room description says "lounge chairs"). We never used that space, it was just too hot. So don't be fooled by the 1446 sq. ft. description. The room is not that big. Also advertised in the room description were slippers. There were no slippers.
When we went to use the safe we got a "low battery" notice, and had to call for a replacement. We had the service man up and battery replaced within 10 minutes. Two days later the safe flashed a "motor disconnect" notice. Another call for repair. And again, the safe was repaired within 10 minutes. On our last day there, we once again got the "low battery" notice. Batteries only last 4 days?
There is a liquor dispenser that has vodka, rum, tequila, and scotch. When I asked if I could swap the scotch for bourbon, I was told if I want bourbon, I have to go to the bar. We never used the liquor dispenser.
The room air conditioning was excellent.
We had dinner at Ciao (Italian), La Petit Cochon (French), Ipanema (Brazilian Steakhouse), and Zen (Benihana style Japanese). Only Ciao required men to wear long pants, collared shirt and closed toe shoes. Ciao, Cochon, and Zen are air conditioned. Ipanema is not and it is very hot inside the restaurant. However, sitting outside on the terrace with a nice breeze was wonderful. In every restaurant the food was WONDERFUL, and the service EXCELLENT.
Along the pool areas and lagoon beach there are plenty of lounge chairs, but only a few have shade. Additionally, some of the shaded lounges have to be "rented" to the tune of $40 a day. Shame. They need many more places available that you don't have to pay for shade.
The strong points for this resort is the food and service, with emphasis on service. The staff were all very friendly. Drink service pool and lagoon side was outstanding. Waiters and servers in all the restaurants and bars were fantastic. The best service I have seen in quite a while. Well done.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank scubaV
Hello scubaV,

First and foremost thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. I must say that I am really glad to know that you enjoyed a very pleasant vacation at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya and that you loved the food and the excellent service from our staff; however I would like to extend to you our humble apologies for any inconvenient you may have encountered during your visit. We hope to welcome you back again soon and provide you with the extraordinary experience that all of our guests are accustomed to.
Sincerely

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2014

This is the 2nd time I have stayed at a Hard Rock hotel and they are by far the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The service, the food and the rooms are all amazing! Can't wait for my next Hard Rock visit.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

Hello Rebecca M,

Thank you so much for thinking of us so highly. Your review yet short but sweet, ignites our passion for service and we are beyond glad to know that we created a genuine Rock Star experience for you. We cannot wait to welcome you back again soon.Thank you for the five star review!

Vancouver, British Columbia
Reviewed July 10, 2014

My Husband and I stayed here for our Honeymoon at the end of June. WOW! First of all, let me say that I am a travel agent, so I see a lot of resorts and probably judge them fairly critacally. I loved this resort. Without a doubt I would call it a 5 star all the way. The staff from the moment you arrive are fantastic, super friendly and overly helpful. You will never sit anywhere around that resot without getting asked if you want a drink or need anything. We were upgraded at check in to a Platinum Sky Terrace Suite on the Heaven (adults only) at check in and were so excited, since I had seen this two story room online and really wanted to see it in person. it was fantastic. Gorgeous room, with a HUGE bed and a set of stairs that leads up to a private balcony with your hot tub for two;) We were in building 3 and it was a great location, close to the Heaven lobby, pool, and just a few minutes walk to the Hacienda side.

Food:

The food was great. I will say that compared to some others I have stayed at, the couple of times we ate at a buffet, it did not blow me away, but it was not bad in any way, just a limited selection compared to others I have been to. That doesn't matter though, because the beauty of the Hard Rock is that there are many a la carte options, and they do not requre any reservations, so why ever eat at the buffet:) Also, the room service menu is large, available 24 hours a day, fast and delicious. I am still thinking about the homemade tortilla chips and cheese....so good....I may have to go back just for those...

We stayed on the Heaven side, but did venture over to the Hacienda (family side) a few times and saw many options for fun for the children. Amazing pools , a huge waterslide, rock climbing wall, little kids play area, etc. Without a doubt this is a resort that could accommadate a large group of families with and without children very well. The resort is so sprawling that we never once felt crowded or had to wait in a line for anything. The main pool on the heaven side with the swim up bar had activities most of the day put on by very happy, enthusiastic and funny employees.

Overall, I was very impressed with the food, service, cleanliness and overall Rock Star experience!! We will return again and again:)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

3 Thank Suzanne B
Hello Suzanne B,

I can see you are quite a traveler! Thank you for telling us about your experience at our resort. I cannot stress enough our satisfaction for knowing that you enjoyed an amazing honeymoon at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya in every possible way. Your review confirms our commitment to deliver authentic experiences that rock for every guest. That is our passion and providing you with the best possible service is our way to say thank you for making us part of your recent travels! We look forward to your next visit.
Cordially

Decatur, Alabama
Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I spent 6 nights at this resort with our twenty year old daughter and our thirteen year old daughter and her friend in a separate room.

First thing, the trip from the airport in Cancun only took about 45 minutes, not bad at all. When we arrived, we had booked two Deluxe Gold Rooms but prior to arriving we joined the Hard Rock VIP program which is around $20/year, maybe $25. When I checked us in, I asked if we could receive a room upgrade since we were HR VIP Members. The front desk attendant quickly checked and provided my husband and I with a room with a sky terrace that had an adjoining door to the room that our girls were in. The room was very nice. It had stairs behind the bed that went up to the roof and there was a huge hot tub up there, a separate 1/2 bath, and some lounge chairs. We were not ever in our room long enough to fully use it, but it was extremely nice. The girls room had two double beds with a large tub inside the room. The bathrooms were very nice and had a long double sink that gave you plenty of vanity space for all of your toiletries.

We had excellent service with wifi throughout the resort property.

We were treated so nice by several staff members that I would like to recognize by name. Victor, was our waiter at Zen the first night and was so funny and helpful. Dorian was the bartender in the Sun Bar and we frequented it almost nightly and he was always very up-beat and helpful, always smiling. Jorge was also a waiter at Zen that we had on a different night. He was extremely pleasant. Jose, waited on my husband and I on our last night at Toro, the steakhouse. He was overly helpful and nice. Jack and Mauricio were the entertainers out by the pool, my girls were knows by them on a first name basis. Probably because the girls participated in everything, everyday - for example, water polo, stretching, water aerobics, basketball, beach and pool volleyball, decorating pineapples, etc. Last, but definitely not least, was Marvin, our server at the pool. He went above and beyond helping my family have the most relaxing and best days at the pool. Marvin, is by far, the BEST server that HRRM has on staff out by the pool. He gets 5 stars by himself.

My husband and I took the golf cart shuttle over to Heaven several times, it seemed to be less crowded than the Hacienda side. The lobby on the Hacienda side was always "happening" and there were tons of things for adults and kids to do every day, up in to the night.

Almost every single staff member spoke very good English and were able to help with anything that you might need. We cannot say enough about the excellent service. My only slight, and I mean slight disappointment is not having a real beach. We enjoy walking the beach but the property is so large, you can walk from Heaven side to Hacienda side and see Iguanas everywhere. The beach that they have built, it very nice. We Kayaked, did the Snorkeling Tour and just enjoyed being out by the big rocks.

With our resort credits, we bought Tequila to bring home, did the Dolphin Swim (our kids loved it, but I think my husband and I loved it more), and my oldest daughter and I did deep tissue massages with Hydrotherapy. The spa is amazing.

Lastly, I will say.....DO NOT SIT THROUGH THE SALES PITCH that they offer you to go sit through on the day you arrive. They offered to give us two of our "excursions" (the Dolphin Swim and The Speedboat/Snorkeling Tour) for free, meaning not having to pay the 20%. I would have paid 25% if I could have gotten out of the pressure filled meeting about paying $20,000 to join their Legendary club. I told one guy no, then another came, then another came and I felt like I was buying a used car and being pressured and they acted a little bit "ill" when we weren't interested in signing up at that exact moment. We met another couple that had the same experience. The main problem that I had with it was not that I sat through the meeting, I knew what I was signing up for, but the problem was that when I went to book my Dolphin Tour and Speedboat Tour, the Speedboat Tour was booked up for the remainder of my four days here so I basically didn't get what I was promised. It was just stupid on my part, just take my advice and say, NO and mean it.

We will definitely consider coming back, we may try Punta Cana next year. This was a great place to come and stay and an amazing place to bring your family! Excellent Job HRHRM!

Room Tip: We were in Hacienda Building 6, not close to anything. Rooms were nice and clean and updated.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Stacy P
Hi Stacy P,

Thank you for taking the time to share this incredible feedback with us. Isn’t it great how asimple visit can turn into so much fun? I am so glad to hear that you loved your Rock Star getaway from the very first moment of your stay. Thank you for the staff shout outs. I will tell Marvin and the others what a terrific job they made taking good care of you and your family. It has been great having you with us. We look forward to your next visit.
Cordially,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Ri...
#1 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!