“Late review, they were still renovating.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Akron, Ohio
“Late review, they were still renovating.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

We stayed here as part of My Morning Jacket One Big Holiday. They were still renovating, so many things were incomplete. That didn't bother us at all, and our room was beautiful. I know that by now those repairs are likely finished.

The staff was amazing, very friendly and helpful. I can't say enough about how great every single staff member was, and the massage we had at the spa was phenomenal.

Our biggest complaint was that the food was not up to par with a 4 or 5 star resort., or with even a 3 star. Think roadside truckstop buffet at 3pm, and that is the quality of food that existed throughout most of the resort. We tried pretty much every restaurant, plus the poolside spots. We would literally go hopping from place to place, trying a variety of plates at one place, finding most to be terrible, then moving on to another to try again. We tried sushi and I think it was Pad Thai at Zen. Terrible. Frida was good. Ipanema was OK, the meat was overcooked much of the time. The Market had a pretty good breakfast spread. Room service wasn't bad for the most part. Steak at Toro was like shoe leather, the buffet had a few decent dishes. Ciao was alright. Cava Roja was horrible. Hard to mess up a cheese plate with almonds, but they did by not having most of what was advertised as being on the plate and the plate being wet from storage pre-prepped in the cooler. La Petit Cochan was our favorite.

Perhaps it was because of the large group we had? Or because it was a special event? I think it would be great to have some authentic Mexican food available poolside instead of the tasteless, pre-fab burgers and hot dogs and runny nachos. A simple, inexpensive spread of authentic local fare.

Additionally, the hot tubs were not hot at all. With it being January, it would have been nice to have them heated properly. Perhaps that has been fixed by now as well.

We are coming back again to see My Morning Jacket, the resort was good enough that we will come back. But hoping to give the resort a 4 or 5 star rating this time. When one is paying $1500.00 a person for 4 nights, I expect to be able to give a 5 star rating and not be eating shoe leather steaks and soggy hot dogs.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Lovelucklaughter
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Hello Lovelucklaughter,

Thank you for your feedback and please accept my humble apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your visit to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya last January. It is so great to know that you are coming back; it has been a long time though and I am quite sure that you will enjoy your upcoming stay better. We look forward to welcome you.
Cordially

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,183)
Fort Lauderdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

Leave your worries behind. If you like it hot The Hard Rock Riviera Maya is an awesome experience for adults and children. My family and I had a wonderful time. Only 45 minutes from Cancun this is one destination I would love to go back to. So many attractions within minutes from the Hotel. It was just a lot of fun. Many things to do. The restaurants are awesome.

Hi mrjimlevy

Thank you for your awesome review; I am so glad to know that you enjoyed every moment of your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon so we can rock your world with another celebrity getaway at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

We are currently nearing the end of a two week stay at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya in the Heaven area.

Unfortunately, our stay has been far from ideal.

There have been a number of recurring problems which the local management and staff seem unable to resolve - these include:

1. A 'Sky View Terrace' which came at a large premium but is unusable because:
a. There is no furniture on which to lay out or sit. I asked for furniture but was told none was available.
b. The hot tub repeatedly fills with dirty water and has broken controls.
c. Housekeeping does not clean this area.

2. Housekeeping is poor in the extreme. In the first 4 days our room was not being cleaned until after 6pm. Enough became enough and I complained. Whilst the room was then cleaned during the day, on many occasions we were only left with 1 towel between 2 of us. On a number of occasions the room seemed half finished and unclean.

3. The mini bar is not restocked. I have had to contact 'Star Service' again this evening as none of the used soft drink items have been restocked for 2 days.

4. The fixtures and fittings in the room are falling apart - in particular the toilet door where the seal is hanging off. No attempt has been made by housekeeping to either fix or report this. Also the rooms smell of stale water.

5. The thermostat in the shower is unserviceable to the point of being dangerous, frequently blasting very hot water.

6. The restaurants are hit and miss to say the least. It is rare to get a hot plate of food at any of the a la carte restaurants with long waits between service and the standard varies greatly.

7. There are a number of areas around the hotel reserved for 'Legendary' guests. However, we frequently find that a number of cabanas in the non-reserved areas are then reserved by the hotel management for 'select' guests. This makes the already minimal seating areas at the beach even more difficult to find a space.

The reason I have decided to write this review was because we were approached by our server, Rosa this morning and asked if we would recommend the hotel to our friends. When 'NO' was our reply she questioned us further and then summoned her supervisor who questioned us yet again. When I asked the supervisor - Pedro - if he intended to act on any of these problems he seemed unsure of what to say or do.

We have made the long trek from England to Mexico several times and have stayed at some fabulous hotels (which cost less than this one I might add!) To say this hotel offers a five star experience is frankly a joke.

It seems many of the problems are caused by the fact that the hotel is in transition and will probably improve over time. However, that gives us cold comfort as we have not paid a 'transitional' price to stay here.

On a final positive note. The only thing that has made our stay enjoyable are the contnually good-humoured and friendly staff. Despite being over-stretched in many areas, these folks go some way to make up for the disastrous way some areas of this hotel are being run.

In short - DO NOT pay a premium for 'Platinum Sky View' - a total waste of the £2000 premium (REALLY unhappy about this!). If you are used to Mexico 5 star hotels - stay somewhere else until this place sorts its act out

Room Tip: Do not pay a premium for platinum sky view - total waste of money as there are no facilities on the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank John F
Dear John F,

On behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya please accept my humble apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. This office is aware of your dissatisfaction and I am personally concerned about your stay. I would like to have the opportunity to change your perception about our resort and service. One of our Customer Care specialists is contacting you via private message to address your concerns and rest assured that I’ll be on top of the situation to follow up. Thanks again for bringing your dissatisfaction to my attention. Should you decide to come back please let me know in advance so I can offer you in person my apologies and ensure you get the Rock Star treatment you deserve.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

Our family had a very nice vacation at the Hard Rock Riviera Maya. The rooms and facilities were comfortable and clean. The food was delicious. The drinks were plentiful. The pool and lagoon were very relaxing. The spa services made us feel pampered. The overall feel of the resort allowed you to be in a party mood if you wanted to be in one, or you could fine an area that was quiet and restful if that was what you were looking for. We took our 3 daughters who are 19 and 24 and we felt very safe having them there and on their own. Diane was one of the waitstaff who went out of her way to make sure we had a good time by the pool. She was very friendly and super attentive. Marvin helped us out while we were relaxing at the lagoon and he pampered us and made sure we were treated well. Overall this was a great vacation with relaxation and fun had by all.

Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

1 Thank Michael Louis M
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Hi Michael Louis M,

First and foremost thank you for taking the time to share your fantastic experience with us; nothing rocks our world more than learning that you had a wonderful vacation at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya. Service is our passion and I am glad that you felt our characteristic hospitality. Thank you for the staff highlights. We look forward to your next visit.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

I went to Riviera Maya for the first time ever in May and I couldn't be any happier with the resort. The Hard Rock was absolutely amazing, from the location to the rooms to the service. Every room in this resort has a hammock on the balcony for your enjoyment, which is awesome. I was also able to order room service any time I wanted to and they service was fast, the food was delicious and the person that brought my food up didn't stick his hand out to wait for a tip. The property is large so they have golf carts as well to take you from one place to the next in case you don't want to walk a lot. The beach at the resort is private and safe for families due to the barrier wall that keeps the waves away and the water smooth. The food was incredibly delicious. You must try the Brazilian restaurant Ipanema, service is fast, the decor is great and it gives you a true sense of a churrascaria. The bonus perk at this resort is the free international calling to the United States and Canada from your room with wifi included throughout the resort. This place was everything I wanted and more, I never wanted to leave... but I will return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hey phisigig05,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your wonderful experience at our resort; there is nothing more encouraging for us than reading these incredible comments from satisfied guests like you who enjoyed a truly Rock Star experience at our resort.
We hope to welcome you back again very soon and rock your world with another spectacular stay at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya,

Pleasanton, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

My boyfriend and I booked a last minute trip through Travel Express on a Friday and we were at the Hard Rock Riviera Maya on Monday (June 16-21). The trip was too short! We bought a package deal which included RT air from San Francisco to Cancun and all inclusive hotel stay. The hotel had a special which gave us $1,500 in resort credit which could be used for specific services. (you would have to pay a 20% fee for the service).

The service from the front desk to the waiters was friendly and helpful. We had a Gold room and were upgraded to the Sky Terrace which has an upstairs veranda with bathroom and Jacuzzi with a view of the ocean.

The resort is a huge sprawling property. Be prepared to walk a while to get anywhere on the property. One half is for families, Hacienda and the other is adults only, Heaven. We stayed at the Heaven side but our upgraded room was actually located at Hacienda, on the border of Heaven. The Heaven side was very quiet. The most activity we saw was at the pool during the water aerobics.

There are many restaurants offering specialized cuisine: French, Spanish, Italian, Brazilian, Asian, Pizza, Steakhouse. The hotel is ALL INCLUSIVE and I have to say the food was of high quality and fresh. All inclusive includes beverages and we were surprised that they offered top shelf and name brand liquor free of charge. They even provided 3 bottles of liquor in our room as well as a refrigerator stocked with water and soft drinks. Once night we ordered room service and the food was hot, fresh and delivered promptly. The steakhouse, Toro was very good and the Brazilian restaurant, Impanema was wonderful. They offered 7 different types of meat on large swords and would cut the meat at your plate. The service was impeccable. Our only regret is that we were not able to try ALL of the restaurants since our stay was short.

Most of the people we met at the resort were honeymooners, newlyweds or getting married at the Hard Rock. We went to the disco, HEAVEN one night and it was dead. This resort at the time we went was mostly couples. With the resort credit you could have gotten a professional photo session on the beach for about $40 in taxes. Amazing deal.

The hotel had ongoing activities during the day and music performances in the evening. We were there during the country concert series. We saw break dancers, Mexican traditional dancing and performance and a fire show. They also had outdoor bbqing and other evening events including a Mexican fiesta.

We actually hung out at the pool one day only. We took advantage of the excursions in the area. We went ziplining, repelling, drove ATV's, wave runners, horseback riding, snorkeling and explored the Mayan ruin at Tulum (which is only 20 min away). We also swam with Dolphins...the Dolphin center is right across the street from the Hard Rock. The Hard Rock vacation planners office was extremely helpful in finding us the right excursions.

The Hard Rock resort is located south of Playa Del Carmen. We took a short cab ride for $15 and went to the town since we have always heard it was quaint. The beach was beautiful but the area was touristy.

The negative of the resort in my opinion: no swimmable beach. Other than that I would highly recommend the resort to couples and families.

Room Tip: I always ask for an upgrade if it is available.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank adlibjane
Dear adlibjane,

Thank you for the awesome review! It’s always a pleasure to hear that you had a great time. I appreciate you shared your travel experience with us, also want to thank you for all the kind remarks, we all are getting ready to roll out the red carpet for our appreciated rock stars!

"
Tulum
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

Good value for the money, service was excellent, entertainment was diverse, beach beautiful, gym is maintained super clean, restaurant choices was also great especially with room service being included, friendly helpful staff.

Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

Hi there Teresa L,

Thank you so much for your short and sweet review. I am so glad to know you had a blast and loved our All-inclusive concept. We hope to welcome you back again very soon and spoil you with another Rock Star stay at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Ri...
#1 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,031 reviews
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,614 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,473 reviews
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,825 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,851 reviews
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,568 reviews

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!