“Great food, relaxing stay”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Great food, relaxing stay”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Our 4th year here, 1st since the changeover from Adventura Spa Palace to Hard Rock (HR). Before I start, I am very easy going, and can overlook a few mishaps along the way. I don't expect 7 days of no issues even if I pay for it! After all, I am in Mexico enjoying the beautiful weather and ocean! Here we go! Beautiful job done converting to a HR resort. Rooms are spacious, beds are AMAZING. Spa tub in room was great, and mini bar includes unlimited vodka, rum, whiskey, and tequila all of mid grade quality. Beer and soda in fridge, more can be requested through room service. Room was spacious and taken care of perfectly each day. Resort is a always being maintained for all us to enjoy. Staff is incredibly friendly and will go to the edge of the world to accommodate the guests. Restaurants are great for dinner, I highly recommend the Zen (hibachi and sushi) and Ciao (Italian) to dine at. Seafood at HR is fresh, and cooked to perfection. Only recommendation I would make resort wide is to improve the wine quality. I'm no snob, trust me. I only buy 8-12 USD wines back home. They do have a great selection, but a little bit higher quality is my only recommendation. I enjoy wine usually over liquor, but nonetheless there is enough selection to please folks. The free back massage, manicure and pedicure are great (can be xferred to significant other). Overall, fun, enjoyable, and relaxing stay. We stayed in the adult (heaven) side. I hope your future vacations are as enjoyable as mine!!

Room Tip: You will enjoy any room you get!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jonny_P172
René M, Director General at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Hi Jonny_P172,

Thank you so much for your great review and for sharing it with our incoming guests. I am so happy to hear that you had a wonderful vacation at our property and you loved every moment of your stay. It is so great to learn that you enjoyed our food as well as our rooms and the amenities included. It is wonderful to know you found our staff super friendly and accommodating. I really appreciate your suggestions regarding wine selection. At Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya we would like to welcome you soon to provide you with another rockstar vacation. Kind regards.

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,247)
Springfield - Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Just got back from a week at HRRM, March 26 to April 2. We were very apprehensive after reading so many negative reviews. We are Palace Premier members and stayed at Aventura Spa 5 years ago. While we didn't think the Hard Rock is quite as good as Aventura was, we had a very good time. Maybe when all the rennovations are completed it will be comparable.
There were a couple of little things we didn't care for. The new rooms are nice, but we didn't like the open concept to the bathroom. The nighttime entertainment needs some updating.
The staff was the key to how good our stay was. There was never a request they didn't fulfill. Everywhere you got a smile and felt welcome always.
We found the food to be top notch. We went to all the restaurants on the Heaven side, except the Spanish, and the Mexican and Chinese on the Hacienda side. The food was great! Our favorite was Ciao with one of the best bolognese sauces we have had.
One thing that didn't change was the amazing spa experience. I had 4 different treatments and each one was fantastic! If you really want a treat, get the agave ritual.
My husband played golf twice and really enjoyed the course at Playacar.
Our goal for this trip was to unwind and relax. And we certainly were able to do that!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

Hello Debra M,

I want to thank you for sharing your experience. I am really glad to see that you have had a wonderful time at our property. It is so wonderful to hear that our staff exceeded your expectations in every way and made you feel like a rockstar. We are happy to find out that you loved our food and drinks and that you were able to recharge batteries in our astonishing RockSpa and its luxurious services. I am sure our incoming guests will appreciate your tip on the agave ritual. We look forward to your next visit. Come back soon. Kind regards.

Hard Rock Hotel Rivera Maya
Parker, Colorado
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I am a Palace Resort member and this was one of my absolute favorite when it was Aventura Spa Palace. My husband and I are renewing our vows on our 15th wedding anniversary this November and thought we would give it a try. I have been trying to get a hold of anyone who can help me for two weeks. I was able to call the member desk and reserve a room. I told him that I needed to book a ceremony and he encouraged me to go ahead and book the room - I wanted a presidential suite and he said they go fast so it's best to book it now. If I decided not to use that resort they would immediately refund the $ to my card so I had no risk if I went ahead and booked it. I did. I went on Hard Rock's website, as I have never stayed at a hard rock and realized that the rooms they show available don't translate directly to what you would get at a palace resort...there are several suites but no presidential suite. So I called back to find out which room I had booked. They couldn't tell me. I told them to cancel it, since they can't even tell me what room I will be staying in and the guy told me there was a $100 cancellation fee! (This was within 2 hours of booking it). Of course I asked for a supervisor, instead he went and found the guy who had made the reservation and argued with me as to what the guy had originally told me and threatened to have the supervisor review the recording. I told him to PLEASE have the supervisor review the recording because that was not the information I was given. I held for 1 hr. 15 minutes and the guy came back and said they had a lot of calls and were still looking for the recording! Having loved Spa Aventura and being out of time to fight the fight for the day, I told him to call me back once they had reviewed it. I've never heard from anyone.

In the mean time I have tried 3 different contact numbers trying to get someone to help me plan a ceremony only to get transferred, put on hold and ignored. I finally found a contact form on their mobile site, which I filled out and someone responded to me via email. I have been emailing back and forth with her for a week with no answers. I am willing to make an extra trip down there to plan everything, since it's impossible to do it over the phone, and she is trying to set up an appointment with a wedding planner at the resort - over a week and no answer as to whether they are available in a 4 day window to meet with me? I think this is indicative of the level of service we can expect to see out of Hard Rock Riviera Maya. Sad. I wish they would have left it as a Palace Resort. I think by perusing this I am just asking for a headache and disappointment, not just for me but for the 20 family members and friends that would make the trip with us

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Cara D
René M, Director General at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Cara D,

On behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya I would like to offer you a heartfelt apology for any dissatisfaction you may have experienced while booking your stay at our resort that made you change your mind and cancel it. I have been informed that our team has been trying to reach you by phone but hasn’t been able to contact with you. We hope to have the opportunity to change your perception in the event you decide to book again and provide you with the excellent service you deserve.
Kind regards.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

With a family of 8 (4 adults , 2 girls and 2 boys (18 and 13 yrs of age)) we had a wonderful vacation. The pools and the ocean coves were fun to swim in. We spent many hours snorkeling in the coves seeing many types of fish. The restaurants were fantastic - on par with the HR Punta Cana! We were welcomed every morning in the Market by our new friend Rosario - who was super friendly and helpful. We spent 3 full days on the beach in our own cabanas where we were helped by Miguel and Luis - who both went out of their way to setup our place and made sure we always had a nice cold drink. The nightly entertainment was always fun at the Sun Bar. Overall, the resort was clean and well equipped. There are some places that are still under construction - but this did not impact the quality of our stay. We will definitely come back. We did not give. 5 stars because the front desk staff could improve the quality of their customer service.

Stayed April 2014
Hi there BBQJohnson,

Nothing rocks our world more than to learn that you had an amazing time at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya. On behalf of everyone in our team, thank you so much for sharing your experience and for your high recommendations. It is wonderful to see that you and your family enjoyed snorkeling in our cove…great for everyone, especially the kids. Also I want to thank you for mentioning those who provided you a service that rocked! I am going to tell Rosario, Miguel and Luis that you thought they went out of their way to make you feel like a rockstar. I really appreciate your feedback regarding front desk service; we will work on that. Needless to say that we are looking forward to your next visit to get you another great family vacation. Kind regards.

Waterford, Michigan
Reviewed April 4, 2014

For some reason I expected more because of the Hard Rock name, and not just the same ol' resort. And it was pretty much just the same ol' resort.

Besides the Hard Rock style decor in the lobby and throughout the main area around the lobby, you would have no idea that you are in Hard Rock. The room decor is more of a "rock" style with the use of different materials (wood, metal, leather). On the wall, there was a large photo of a girl playing a guitar and smoking a cigarette. No one recognizable. It could of been one of the maids.

The resort wont be completely finished til the fall so yes there was construction. Expect workers and some noise. Tools, ladders, electrical cords, etc. Just beyond the pool, they were installing sprinklers. Cutting cement was the loudest noise heard and it was for a minute every now and then. Other construction going on is painting in various areas and hanging decor in the hallways throughout the resort. It is nothing worth complaining about. I believe most of the work that needs to be completed was in the Heaven side. The couple of times I walked through the Hacienda side, I did not see much construction going on.

Food - ugh. Average is being fair. Breakfast and lunch there is a buffet on each side (heaven/hacienda) Dinner there is only 1 buffet (hacienda) and they have several restaurants throughout. Do not need reservations for any! Dont recall their names but did not goto the Spanish, Mexican or Japanese. Did goto the French, Steakhouse, Ipanema Grill and ordered room service one night. Breakfast and lunch buffets were just...there. The usual scrambled eggs and bacon (bacon was SO GOOD). There were odd things like fish and ravioli that was served for breakfast. Most of it sat dried out because thats not breakfast food. But dont worry, because it will be there for the lunch buffet! Dinner we went one night to French, which was very good but small portions, and had us wonder over to the dinner buffet. Oh boy was that disappointing. Small for being the only dinner buffet in the resort. Steakhouse good. Room service was fast service and taste better than the buffet. Ipanema Grill is the perfect example of what being on vacation is about. Over indulgence and not caring. Everything was great, which explained why it was so crowded. Go early or expect to wait between servings. BUT it was worth the wait. Main pool bar serves burgers, nachos, french fries. In the end, the great tasting restaurants are what raised my food review to average. OH...watch the birds when eating outside or near the open air doors during the day. NEVER leave your food alone. lol always leave someone at the table.

Drinks - Its a surprise every time! The best is definately from the lobby bar and from the buffet bar. The pool bars...it was luck of the draw. Instead of saying "no we dont have banana daquiri" they say "ok" and throw a bunch of juice in a glass? Mudslides...it was either chocolate milk or pure alcohol.

Pools - music was confusing. I think I heard AC/DC followed by Lionel Ritchie. Nothing current. One day they had an actual band pool side, performing. THAT was nice. Reminded me I was at a Hard Rock. There are a lot of chairs but be sure to get out early (by 730am) to claim yours by putting a towel down with a book or bottle of water. AND THEN dont go back to use your chairs until noon or 1PM like most of the inconsiderate visitors did, leaving people with no where to sit. Cant knock the resort for that, but they should have some kind of policy to prevent that. The pools are very clean!!!! I saw cleaning in the evenings and in the early mornings. Nothing green or slimey!

Beach - not really a beach. It is a nice area of sand with water and a wall of rock that you can hear the ocean. If you stand, you can see the ocean. Neat concept. There are nice cabanas too but again, get them early! Unless they have a placard with someones name, reserving it for someone. I heard there was a small beach at the very end of the hacienda side. Too far to care to go look.

Double bedroom with jacuzzi in the corner. Jacuzzi is a waste. Did not use it. And even if we did, it was in a corner on an inside wall. You had no view of anything. A/C never shut off. Thankfully it cooled but when i got home, my luggage and clothing were all damp and smelled horribly musty. Bed was hard as a rock. We were missing a table in the room, but we had the 2 chairs lol. The room service guy was confused because he did not know where to put the tray.

Check in/check out went smoothly. If you are not already a member, upon check in you will be asked to meet with someone to discuss the property activities and be shown the property - even the Presidential Rock Suite . Hard Rock is turning their properties in to something of a time share property. Not as bad as a time share, but similar. Expensive yes but not lifetime or as restrictive. Since it was going to rain the next day, we decided to see the property. Plus we were promised a gift bag which included hard rock hats, tshirts, shot glasses and tequila in a beach bag. The agent told us just to do it for the gift bag, it would be worth it. Ok cool. Although we told the agent and salesman up front, that we will not be buying anything and only want the free stuff - they still treated us like potential owners. Pressure pressure pressure. Of course it didnt work. Not sure what the tour of the Rock Suite was for. If that influences someones decision to buy, they are nuts. Even the "boss" that came in at the end, could not break us. After signing out and picking up our coupon for free stuff, they tried hitting us up for a smaller vaca package. No thanks. Our bag of Hard Rock goodies turned out to be a smelly wicker bag with paper thin bathrobes with matching slippers, an incense burner, an oil incense burner, face sun protection lotion and a bottle of tequila. NONE that said Hard Rock lol. What a waste.

Like i was saying at the start, for some odd reason I expected more since it was a Hard Rock. Its an average every day run of the mill nothing special resort. And the worst part is that its almost an hour drive from the airport. I could have driven 10 mins from the airport and hit up one of those resorts which are the same or better for the same price. Maybe things will improve after everything is finished? Im not sure. But at this point and time, I would not recommend anyone to stay here, but I would not tell anyone to run away. I just wouldnt talk about Hard Rock at all.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Melissa T
Hello Melissa T,

Thank you for bringing your discontent to my attention, it is so sad that we were not able to meet your expectations this time. On behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya I would like to extend my humble apologies for any dissatisfaction you may have experienced during your stay at our property. This is certainly not the image we want you to have of our resort. Thank you for giving us a try; we truly appreciate your remarks which will be taken in consideration for improving our services. Should you decide to come back please let us know in advance so we can ensure you have the rock star vacation you deserve, kind regards.

Tulum
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Construction going on. Should not have given rooms in the buildings that were being worked on. Stepping over cords and construction debris. Dealing with cement dust being tracked into the rooms. Didn't have ice machine on our floor and working until the third day.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

1 Thank Clifford D
René M, Director General at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Hi Clifford D,

I distress to find out that we have not met your expectations this time. I would like to extend my apologies for any dissatisfaction you may have experienced during your visit. This office is aware of your discontent and I would like change your perception about our resort. I am going to have one of our specialists to get in contact with you via private message to address your concerns. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to get you the wonderful vacation you deserve. Kind regards.

Spokane
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We were here for two weeks mid-March and had another great visit. We are VIP members and were accommodated even after we erroneously booked trip for the Hard Rock Cancun (very LOUD property overrun with children). Our VIP representative, Marsela (sp?) made sure we got a great room when we finally arrived at 10pm. We prefer the restaurants on the adult side. In general, all areas of the resort on the family side are louder. There are lots of places to get away from the loud party atmosphere at the pool or it's easy to find a place if that's what you prefer. It seemed like the employees running water aerobics etc... were very fun and funny. The workout area was great and so was the spa. We had some fantastic massages. Room service was fast and friendly for both alcohol and food. The customer service throughout the property was terrific and everything was very clean. The new nightclub was beautiful though we didn't go there as that's not our thing. Overall, we really like this property and will be back for sure.

Room Tip: We stayed in bldg 4 which was close enough to the main building/workout room and pool but nice not t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa M
Hello Melissa M,

I am really glad to see that we have exceeded your expectations in every way especially with our service throughout the entire property. It is so great to learn that you loved every moment of your stay and the room that Marcela got for you was a dream come true; I will tell her that she played an important role to make your vacation very enjoyable. I can see that you had a delightful relaxing time at our RockSpa after workout at BodyRock. Thank you for your kind comments towards our room service. It is wonderful to hear that you will come back for another Rock Star vacation. We will see you then! Kind regards.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Ri...
#1 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,206 reviews
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,963 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,737 reviews
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,983 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#23 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,134 reviews
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,714 reviews

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!