“Good but I wouldn't say great”

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Austin, TX
“Good but I wouldn't say great”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is my second time staying here. Overall it was good but I can't recall being really blown away by anything.

Good
-Staff - I had nothing but good and several great experiences. Some of my best memories were as a result of people going above what they were required to do.
-Spa- Good experiences here. Nothing but good things to say.
-Kids Club - I have a 6 year old who enjoyed herself. I think their branded tie in's with the characters are for her age and lower so older kids may not be a big fan of being in a little kids type club. My 10 year old was tolerant but didn't really stay in the club that much.
-Pool activities and shows - They were well done and the shows were good.

Bad
-The booking process for the spa and services is still a pain. I was ready for it and it is still is a 2-3 hours that has to be done immediately upon check in. We were able to use up a lot of the credits but there really are not a lot of options. Using the credits for shopping, for example, seemed to be a joke. The mark up was well beyond the amount of credit useable.
-There is only one day where they shuttle you to Playa. That makes for some crowds and some waits. I think that they should have more offerings especially if their occupancy is high.
-Activity for teens = not much. The sales rep for Hard Rock said that they were going to expand the offering here so take that for what it is worth.

Everything else
-Food - Kinda hit and miss. Like most buffets, you will probably find one thing per meals that is great and the rest is average. Loved the burgers by the pool. The other non-buffet meals were good, not great. The overall service was slow. If you want to go to the Italian place, either go way early or late.
-Room - We were actually right next to the main building (like literally the closest rooms). The spill over from the main building could get loud but that proximity was really nice. We actually were in a handicapped room without a jacuzzi but it wasn't worth moving to give up that proximity.

Overall I like the resort but it seems like over time they are nickle and dime-ing as much as they can. Less shuttles to Playa, 11% resort charge, $25 charge just to use the hydro therapy, etc... Nothing major, but telling in the aggregate.

I am curious to see the impact of the Hard Rock conversion. I'm betting that the charges will be mostly superficial but I'm hoping not.

2 Thank Dugg
Xavier V, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Dugg,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team of Aventura Palace.

We strive to provide you with the best possible service that is why we thank you for pointing out what you consider both our strong and weak points.

We sincerely regret that we were unable to fulfill your expectations concerning some of our services, especially; the appliance of the Resort Credit and the teen activities. The necessary adjustments will be applied to avoid a similar situation in the future and ensure the satisfaction of our guests. On the other hand, thank you for acknowledge us about the excellent service that our staff members provided and we are really happy to know that you felt pampered with our wonderful spa.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and prove that your comments have been taken seriously.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,277)
Sachse
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My family and I visited ACP 11/15-11/22/2012. We are Palace Resort Members. Our first full day on 11/16, found ants in the sink, dead cockroaches in the room. Took 3 days to get the ants gone (they came back our last day), roaches were never cleaned out. The first 3 days, housekeeping did either did not come to our room each day or came very late so we had to wait to have the kids take naps in the room (one day i had to clean the table and the floor below it so the kids could use it!). Housekeeping improved the remainder of the trip.

With the switch from PR to Hard Rock (HR), their isn't a lot for the kids to do yet, and there is an invisible wall between the family side of the resort and the adults only (my wife and I could go over there if we wanted). With the switch from PR to HR, the perk of taking a shuttle to another PR resort is limited to one shuttle on Thursdays. We ended up in a sales pitch (we were told it was to be an info session on the changes HR is making to the hotel) all Sunday morning to sign a contract with HR for pre-paid vacation weeks while still keeping our PR contract (we didn't sign).

When we talked to someone about eating at the restaurant of the only other PR hotel nearby (20 - 25 minutes away) we were told we couldn't so we had to modify our plans. Later we found out we could but it depends who you talk to. If it's an HR employee (no signage on the person to identify HR employee from PR employee), they will tell you no because they want you to only stay at the HR. If you talk to a PR employee, they will tell you you can use the facilities at the other PR hotel.

Customer service is very poor. There is a small salon on the family side and my wife wanted to have our daughter's fingernails painted but the girl at the salon said she was booked (no one in the salon, every time we saw the girl during the day she was just staring out the window with no customers).

We recommend waiting until 2014 when the full conversion to HR is done, the full facilities for kids are in place, the things PR members will be allowed to do at HR hotels will be finalized, new restaurants are in place (with the split of the hotel to couples only and family, there is a limitation on restaurant choices for families (La Hacienda restaurant is terrible, stay away, the restaurants that are open for breakfast and lunch are very limited for the family side). The HR is competing against the PR hotels now so you gotta ask a lot of people the right questions since you don't know who's on what side of the fence.

Victor (bell hop) - outstanding, Beatrice (waitress at the pool bar) - excellent, Tony (waiter at Ventanas) - very good, some of the other employees were very good. Richardo at Mundaca restaurant would be fired by me. All of the employees at La Hacienda restaurant would be fired by me. Most of the a la carte restaurants had a lot of service issues and some food issues.

8 Thank Stephen K
Xavier V, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Stephen K, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments and feedback about our resort. Feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us know how we are doing in terms of service and facilities.
In reference to the transition mentioned on your review, please accept my most sincere apologies for any inconveniences this transition may have caused during your stay. Our goal is that all guests and members are able to enjoy the privileges of our hotels and packages. Your comments have been shared as well with key Staff in our organization so improvements can be made. We hope that you will visit again so you can see our new improvements
West Union, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Great hotel and great staff. Very safe and secure. Very family oriented! Can not wait till they do their renovation and turn into Hard Rock. I would reccommend this Resort to everyone and anyone looking to vacation in Mexico. I also loved how they had a cove for snorkeling and swimming. It was very safe for the kids and we all had an incredible vacation. Great job Palace Cove/Hard Rock...P.S. The spa is awesome. I had a seaweed wrap and my skin is still soft...Amazing!

3 Thank AnnaWholey73
Xavier V, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear AnnaWholey73, we really appreciate the wonderful review. We are delighted that you and your family had a wonderful vacation. We train all our staff to provide the services our guests deserve. We are pleased that we can be your choice for family vacations and happy that your family felt safe on the property. Safety and security is our top priority. It will be our pleasure to once again host you and your family on your next vacation.
Vilonia, Arkansas
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Let me say we're members of Palace Resorts and have stayed at Aventura many times. Really loved the place until they started letting children come. We decided to take our grandchildren since they were having their big sale.
The grounds are still beautiful, service was great. Kids club was good. Only two major complaints. One is the food. Plenty of it but just not up to Palace standards. (food was not good at H.R. in Punta Canta either). The second is taking you to the airport 5 hrs before you flight. Sorry, you go or pay for taxi. It was worth the $$$ as we had a 5 yr old. I would say it was worth it at the discounted price but no way at full price.

6 Thank Susan H
Dear Susan H, thank you for sharing your review. Reviews allow us to make some necessary changes in areas of weakness and maintain our areas of strength. We regret to hear that you were not fully satisfied with some aspects of your vacation. We apologize that our restaurants did not live up to your expectations. We also would like to apologize for any airport transfer inconvenience. We will share these comments with key staff in our organization so we can meet all of your expectations on your well deserved vacation.
Anthony, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We have done several trips to Mexico but had never arrived late in the day 6:30. We expected customs to be a breeze, but an hour later we finally made it through. The hotel provided transportation was a painless process. Within 10 minutes we were one our way. For those that don't know it is an hour trip to the hotel from the airport.

Check in- Painless process. Room keys ready to go, in and on our way in 10 minutes. Greeted with a drink which always helps.

Room-We took advantage of discounted room rate and had two adjoining rooms. 1k and 2DB for the kids. Rooms are compact but work fine. These rooms are the old style rooms that favored having more rooms at a hotel. There is little they can do to fix this now, but it will be interesting to see what they do with the remodel. Outside of being somewhat dated, everything worked as it should in the room with no complaints. There is some noise from the exterior walkways as people walked by but nothing out of the ordinary.

Food-
Breakfast is a buffet style. Never really had a problem with waiting for a table or long lines. Food was fresh and tasted fine. The waitstaff for breakfast was excellent.

Lunch is also a buffet style. Once again, no real problems with waiting or long lines. The lunch staff at Mundaca was by far the best around. Within 2 days they greeted us by name and made sure we had great service. There is also a snack shack around the pool that grills various kid food. Perfect for some of us that never grow up.

Dinner-Your choice of plated or buffet style. We utilized the kids club and went to the adults side a couple nights for some great dinners. Outside of one rough meal, everything was cooked well and service was prompt and attentive. As to our bad meal the manager went out of there way to make it up to us.

Shows- great shows. They are a little hokey. But as you are not paying anything extra for the shows they are a good value. The kids love them.

Cove- This hotel DOES NOT HAVE a beach. This is something we knew before coming. However, I heard complaints from other people that said they had no idea. The hotel has a cove where you can kayak, snorkel, swim, etc. The hotel provides the equipment at no charge to use in the cove. At first glance it looks like there is nothing in the cove. However, we found plenty of sea life and introduced the kids to snorkeling. This is perfect for younger kids as there is no current to deal with and the water is fairly shallow when the tide is out.

Pool- Our only complaint about the hotel. The pool is not heated. So utilizing it in November is a little rough. On a sunny day it is fine, however, it can be a little chilly. In addition the hotel need additional staff for the waitresses around the pool. For two days I did not have someone wait on me at all in over 4 hours. (We do tip the staff even though you do not have to)

Spa- Excellent. Use your credits at the spa! I notice many people did not utilize the hydrotherapy at the hotel. If you are having a massage arrive an hour or so early and utilize the facilities. It makes it all the more relaxing! No issues here!

In short the hotel has done a great job in re-branding this side of the hotel for families. It will be interesting to see how the remodel turns out. Most of the families we saw had younger (pre-teen) kids. This is the perfect resort for them. We cannot wait to go back.

6 Thank theredcat00
Dear Theredcat00, Thank you for providing such a great and detailed review. These reviews are helpful to us as well as future guests. We are pleased that you chose Aventura Cove Palace for your Thanksgiving holiday trip and we are glad we were able to live up to your expectations. Our goal here is for our guests to always return home happy. We are delighted that you enjoyed the many services we offer, including various restaurants and the Spa. We are also pleased that your children enjoyed our shows and got to snorkel in our inlets for the first time. We can’t wait to be your hosts again when you return to Mexico with your family.
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Upon my arrival I went to the front desk/check in; I had concierge level/VIP it's a special check-in. I didn't get it. My concierge was not available on my arrival either, no big deal. We went to check out our room; this hotel has 12 or 1400 rooms altogether. The room was not what I expected. We had 2 full size beds and I thought they were going to be queen size, the room felt a bit small. The hallways that have rooms on both sides are very noisy. You can hear people walking, talking, doors shutting. It was a bit hard to rest. Upon your arrival if you have resort credits/points use them! See vacation planning and set up your appts they book up fast. At aventura you can use all your points toward the spa! The restaurants were a bit disappointing; at Mundaka steakhouse I was expecting to get ribeye, sirloin, filet mignon but no. Haciendas has a nice menu and the pizza a la lena. I haven't tried all the restaurants yet. The service overall is quite good. There were a few times I was lounging by the pool and couldn't get any service. That bothered me because I saw guests that were much further than I to the rest/bar getting served but I had to get up each time I wanted a drink. The gym is very nice, lots of different machines, they also offer classes like kickboxing, Pilates, yoga, Zumba. They're remodeling the place it's going to be a Hardrock ; transition should be done in the fall 2013. I think we might visit again but to Aventura Spa. The location is a bit far almost an hour from cancun airport, 20 min to playa del Carmen. So keep in mind that if you wanna leave on your own to town or a park where your transportation is not included you have to take a taxi and they can get pricey. Overall we are all having a good time my spouse, child and myself. When you reserve check what rooms they have family suite is good for families with children they have Xbox little robes and slippers for kids. Kids in 1 room adults in another for privacy. Had I known about it I would have gotten it, but that's my fault.

• Stayed November 2012
6 Thank El_gua4o
Dear EL_Gua4o, thank you for the review, your comments are very important to us as they let us know how we are doing in terms of service and facilities. We regret to hear that you were not fully pleased with some of our features. Our goal is that all guests experience the vacation they desire. We are sorry to hear that you could not fully rest or enjoy our many restaurants. We train all our staff to provide the best customer service to all the guests in the Resort and apologize that you feel that you may not have received the service you deserve. Besides this we are pleased that you could make use to the gym and the classes our trainers have to offer. We are happy to hear that you and your family were still able to enjoy what the Aventura Cove Palace has to offer.
Sumner, Washington
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This place was great, while we did stay on the spa side of the resort, we actually endede up spending most of our evenings on the cove side. They had many shows going on from circus, and fire play, to a Michael Jackson impersonation show. A dance club is available as well as an arcade, giant chess set, and ping pong. But above all this, was the Pizza and Pasta bar. Located near the swimming pools and lagoon outside the cove lobby, we weren't actually expecting much. Boy were we mistaken. While everyone at the resort was very friendly and accomodating, taking care of most everything. None was better than the staff running the Pizza and Pasta bar. The lovely Maria was in charge of what could possibly be the best group of people ever to work together anywhere. We left each night laughing and looking forward to the next night when we could go back to the bar. Don't worry, if you don't pizza or noodles, they will get you just about whatever you want. If you do want pizza it is made in a brick oven right next to the bar, and is delicious. Between Maria's top notch staff attending your every need and the engaging hostess Zeidy, you would be hard pressed to find a better place to be. The country is beautiful, as is the resort. Room was well kept and clean, and the grounds are as equally maintained. We can hardly wait to go back. I just hope the transition to a Hard Rock establishment doesn't change the feeling you get from these amazing people. Definately go!

Room Tip: Rooms away from lobby are quieter, but further from any activities.