“There is better...”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
katy
“There is better...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

We've been to Cancun twice. First time we stayed at Barcelo Palace, second time at Aventura Cove. We brought our children here the second time because of the "1500 hotel credit" lured us which promised to be used toward certain activities. We were interested in using it for activities if family fun.
Before booking, we took the average to poor ratings seriously as mostly the poor ratings listed was because it had no beached entry to the caribbean, (though it is on the water), and it is an older hotel. We thought we would be on excusrions daily so we took the chance.

I'll list good and bad briefly:

BAD-the $1500 credit is misleading! For example, it promised to be used toward "wet 'n wild", when we got there, "no longer do that." We used it toward "swim with dolphins" which is across their street and is a half day event. Very fun, but we had $900 left of credit. There were no choices left to use it toward parks. The only things we could put it towards was only DISCOUNTS of specified items in their shops, and their spa. For example, a specified $100 of that credit can be used towards silver jewlerly... the silver jewlerly that is at least $300 dollars. So it's just for discounts. That's it. Very disappointing when it led us to believe we could use it toward daily experiences.

BAD- Vacation planner service. Neglectful. No "vacation planner representative" ever was introduced to us, or we were not told of one when we checked in. When we did try to speak to a vacation planner whom we sought out, he was very unfriendly and "put off" that we would plan a couple of excursions to Xplor and Xel-ha with our travel agency rather than that hotel and tried to guilt us. I asked for a list of things we could choose for our $1500 hotel credit. He had no physical print out. Weird. Everything is all verbal with what to use the $1500 credit. I even called the hotel before we arrived. Their response, "you have vacation planner to work with you when you come." But the print out we had from home was not valid of what they actually do. Warning.
Also, besides hotel credit, there are things included in the hotel stay. For example free shuttle to Playa del Carmen and also food at Playacar Palace is included with this hotel as the all-inclusive! We found that out "on accident", in which this should have been offered for us to know in planning with the hotel our experiences there... if we had a formal contact person to help us.

BAD-hotel is older. An elevator close to our room location did not work. There were buckets in the lobby when it rained to catch leaks. Nothing impeded our stay however, but should be lower priced because of this.

BAD- hotel is on the water with no white sand beach. After staying at Barcelo Palace and staying here, I would never return to a hotel without white sand beach entry. It's on a reef or something, so there is constructed walls and a "cove" which you can enter a closed off small area of swim. Nobody ever swam in the "cove." There are plenty of pools, one small toddler water play area. Pools are pretty, but plain.

EXCELLENT- nightly entertainment was excellent. Elvis impersonator, magic show, circus. Even though it was "low occupency season," the entertainment still was high value. Very impressive and fun for our family. Well done.

FAIR- Food is OK. Not many choice of places to eat within the resort. We did go to the upscale Italian restaurant on the "spa" side adults only. Again, pretty good. Not amazing.

GOOD- room service, food service was all very good. Computer area was great and always available. Internet speed was decent. Workers were always friendly and accomodating.

At the END of our visit, a different vacation planner approached us and was very nice and friendly. She noticed we hadn't used all our credit, and asked who was our representative. We told her we were never told or introduced to anyone. She was shocked. I told her I tried to arrange vacation planner the first two days after we had returned from xplor or xelha., and there was always someone different , no message we were trying to arrange plans, in which we had to start from the beginning each time we tried to plan our credit. She was embarassed and said that should never have happened. When she spoke to the gentelman that was supposed to be our representative, he relayed to her the message that we were always too busy. He turned his back. Big strike for us to never return.
If this had been our first visit, we would have been LOST.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank debbie s
, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
We strive to provide you with the best possible service that is why we thank you for pointing out what you consider both our strong and weak points.
We distress to know you were not properly advised about how to use your resort credits. Please be informed that we work very much in the training and supervision of our Vacation Planners in order to deliver the best service and provide accurate information to our valued customers.
We are glad to learn that you enjoyed the nightly entertainment and that you found our staff to be always friendly and accommodating.
The best way we have to improve in all aspects is through the communication of our valued guests. Be sure that your comments will be passed along to our Management team.
We hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again so that we can share our improvements with you and provide you with an amazing vacation.
Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,217)
Shreveport, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

I must start by saying that we just completed our June 3rd through June 10th of 2012 and couldn't be happier. My name is Reid and I was lucky enough to bring my wife Amanda and my son, Jonathan. We were invited to Aventura Cove Palace by my brother. He brought his wife and 3 children. It is important to specify ages when writing a review so that someone may relate to a certain group and generation. My wife and I are both 34 and my son is 5. My brother and his wife are around 41 and they have a 22 year old son and a 20 year old son and their youngest daughter is 10. We all have different opinions, so I will try to recap all of them.
First, my review: Totally awesome!!! The employees are amazing and always ready to serve you. They never say "no." They will do anything for you at any time. From arranging an activity, to getting transportation somewhere, or even a snorkle tour in the cove. I got to go out with one Cove Attendant on a snorkle tour and he showed me and let me hold live starfish, sea creatures, and showed me dangerous underwater things as well, like jellyfish that sit on the ocean floor and critters that can poke you and cause pain. Although he was able to pick them up safely, he simply told me not to do the same for my own safety. He would swim upside down at least 10 feet just to grab something for me to look at. Amazing to say the least. I spent hours snorkling and showing my family the things he taught me. Also, the area is so safe that you can trust all of the crew to protect your belogings without any question There is no funny business there and there is no problem with luggage ever going missing or being tampered with. They are true professionals and would bet my life on their personal effort to do the job right every time. The Bellmen were awesome and went out of their way to make sure we were dropped and picked up safely when we would go out. Two times the cab drivers were willing to give us a ride to Playa Del Carmen and give us a cell phone to call them back personally for pickup. They would only collect the fee when we were back at the resort. That is a huge level of trust on their part. I cannot thank the whole Crew again for all they did to make our stay the best of my life. David, Antonio, and Carlos are by far the fastest friends I have ever made in my life, and I look forward to finding a way back to spend more time with them all.
Now, for my wife Amanda, who was sick when we arrived with a sore throat. She woke up the day we were going to Dallas to fly to Mexico not feeling well and sure enough was sick with fever on day 1. Sad, but true, we had to decide how we would manage her illness. We decided to contact the Front Desk Manager about how we may find a Doctor, and to my suprise, there is a Doctor onsite at all times!!!! He came right over and was able to provide an evaluation and a diagnosis and had shots and meds available within the hour. She had tonsilitis and we were lucky to have his services available. She wasn't able to do much, but did manage to keep here head up and try to have fun when she could.
My 5 year old son had the best time of his life. He had two heated small shallow pools he named the Jonathan Pool. He loved the gameroom and he loved the workers of the Kids Club. His favorite worker there was Jessica. She was very sweet and spent a lot of time trying to keep him occupied while we went out for spa services next door at the Spa Cove side of the resort. It was a very nice getaway at times, but didn't leave him there too long since this was family vacation. He couldn't get enough of all the shows and looked forward to them every night. The favorite show as the Michael Jackson Show. We all sang along and danced like there was no tomorrow.
The occupancy was low, but we didn't mind. It just meant that we walked into any of their awesome eating establishments and asked or grabbed whatever we wanted at any time. There was a sweet Mexican Lady named Olga that made some awesome Pizza's from scratch in a brick oven at the Buffet. She could barely speak english, but could make the best pizza ever. They always tried to speak english the best they could and helped me practice my spanish as well.
We did pay our own way and enjoyed the all inclusive to it's fullest. We didn't need money for any food or drinks ever, so we would drop a 20 peso bill with anybody who was working towards making us happy, and that was pretty much everybody. The employees that are working the driveway, the waiters, desert staff, housekeeping all make very little money. Average is $5.00 american dollars a day. It was worth it to give anyone with a mop or broom or even just someone saying hola a 20 peso bill just to see them smile and say it wasn't necessary. I had my son handing out the 20 peso bills for me and telling him to give them the money and hug and say gracias every time. It was good for him to learn that giving is important and they really did deserve it.
Now, for anyone who has thought that this place may not be the best or the most fun or too expensive, just consider that you get what you pay for and I promise that you will not find yourself regreting the stay. It is a vacation of a lifetime and will not be forgotten. There may be a moment where you say I want to go do something else....that is when you say to a bellman, I want to go out and have some fun....what should we do....they will easily give you their local advise and make sure you get there safely. If anyone has a question about the level of service, ask a manager to get them answered, and they will with the utmost quality care.
We appreciate all they did and look forward to a future visit within the next 5 years.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Reid H
Thank you for taking the time to share with us this review; we are very satisfied to know that we were able to provide the best vacation and entertainment option for each member of your party.
We are very glad to know that you enjoyed the snorkel tour and that your little boy had a great time at our Kid’s club. It is great for us to learn that our staff provided the excellent service that characterizes us and helped making your stay the best of your life.
We will be delighted to welcome you back in the future to provide you with another unforgettable experience.
Best regards.
Harrisonville, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

We are frequent guests of palace resorts...this time we took our whole family including our 7 yr. old granddaughter. Our favorite restaurant is always La Tratoria. Pamela is an outstanding server and makes the best mayan coffee we've ever had. Her partner Carlos is also wonderful, but Pamela is a standout...friendly, fun and thorough. Our maid, Jose Perez, was amazing as well. He obviously gives extra time and care to his duties. Rafael at the vacation planning desk was incredibly helpful and informative also. Ismael, a server at the La Hacienda was an exceptional server as well. Jorge at the front desk was delightful and made us feel at home in a very special way. Finally, you have a jewel in Julia Tunyogi, the manager of public relations. She was so very warm and friendly, happy to go to extra lengths to make our stay as wonderful as possible. I look forward to seeing her and the others again on future trips. As usual the facilities were outstanding as well as the service. Everyone from the pool side servers to the bell men are remarkable and make us want to come back soon. Our stay was from May 25 to June 2, 2012.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Customer Servic... A, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you for your sweet review. We love hearing feedback when our staff members provide outstanding service, our collaborators will be acknowledged of your special mention.
We are very glad to know that you and your family had a “fabulous”l stay at our Aventura Palace and we look for the opportunity to welcome you back.

north carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

Pros:
What we enjoyed the most was that the place was practically empty. But, as it changes to a Hard Rock, I imagine it will start to fill back up again. It was really nice having restaurants, pools, and the beach to ourselves several times.

We really enjoyed the Jacuzzi tubs, but were told during the time-share sales pitch they will be removed. Probably for the best, since they do waste a lot of water.

24-hour room service was a nice perk, but we never used it.

The drinks were really good with a nice selection of liquor.

Staff was all very nice and helpful. Tipping isn’t required, but the staff were all so great we tipped often.

The gym was really great. I’ve never seen such nice equipment at a hotel. The spa looked nice too, but we didn’t use it.

The room was nicely stocked with drinks.

The location is great, just a quick trip to Playa del Carmen.

Lots of iguanas and a few monkeys around the hotel.

Cons:
The worst part of our stay, and reason why I would not go back, is that our rooms were so loud. I think it would be OK if you were not in a hallway with rooms on both sides. We couldn’t sleep at night with the noise of people coming back from the bars and then the noise of them ordering room service.

The tile walkways were very slippery.

For such an empty hotel, I was surprised they would only give us a room with 2 full-sized beds. We are a married couple staying for our anniversary.

The food wasn’t that good and few restaurants were open. We had dinner in the Italian restaurant, which I kept hearing was their best, and I was impressed at all. There was always a nice selection of fruit at least.

I like a rocky beach with lagoons over a sandy beach and ocean waves, so I thought the beach was fine. But, the lagoons were not nearly as fun as the Catalonia next door. We had such a great time kayaking around the Catalonia. At Aventura Cove, it was more like kayaking in a swimming pool. You can’t get in the ocean there, either. It would feel safer with kids though, so this is a great beach for families.

As nice as it was having the place to ourselves, it got boring. There wasn’t enough to do around the hotel during the day. The shows started too late for us to enjoy. You also couldn’t walk to the town from there, which is something we enjoyed before.

We signed up for what we thought was a tour of the changes to Hard Rock. Instead, it was a cheesy sales pitch to pay for a membership to the hotel. It was really overpriced. We told them we paid way less to stay at the Catalonia & they told us how their hotel was so much better, but we really enjoyed the Catalonia so much more. I can’t believe people would actually purchase this membership plan. Sounds like such a rip-off. We did get $100 off an excursion though for sitting through the sales pitch. Something they had during the sales pitch said the hotel is ranked #3 in the area on Trip Advisor, but right now it’s ranked #13 out of #16 in Puerto Aventuras.

We were told long pants were required for the nice restaurants. My husband didn’t pack any and pants were $70 in the hotel shop. By the end of our trip, we learned they were not enforcing the dress code, but by then we had missed most of our chances to try the other restaurants. I felt like this place was trying too hard to appear upscale.

The bellhops left people’s luggage sitting outside unattended for a long time. As we were waiting for our van to leave, we saw someone’s bag sit alone for 30 minutes. It would have been so easy for us to steal a couple of bags on our way out.

The shuttles to PDC don’t run very often so we never got to take advantage of that. They also really promote the stay at one, play at the others, but it wasn’t clear how to get to the others.

Overall, this place felt kind of sterile and lacked the character and fun of the Catalonia. Changing to a Hard Rock will probably be very good for this place, but the Hard Rock brand doesn’t appeal to us, so we will not be back.

Room Tip: Avoid the loud rooms inside hallways
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mlb36
We are glad to know that you enjoyed our restaurants and pools and that you felt the kindness and warmness that characterizes our collaborators at Aventura Palace.
The best way we have to improve in all aspects is through the communication of our valued guests and your observations are much appreciated. Be sure that we will share your comments with the areas involved in order to improve our quality and service.

Austin, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

First off, I would like to address the negative reviews, which had me SO nervous going into this trip. Personally, I have been to all inclusive before, and this was an amazing experience. The negative reviewers have probably not done their complete research or are the type that one bad instance ruins their entire vacation & causes them to see everything negatively.

I booked our wedding and vacation about 10 months ago last summer before the "transition to hard rock" began or was even announced. All of the reviews were positive and everything seemed great. As time came closer to the trip & wedding, my nerves were on high since I started to see very mixed reviews of the resorts.

I personally believe you get what you pay for. No place is perfect, and there is always someone who has a couple bumps in the road along the way. The food was great breakfast & lunch buffets on both sides of the resort everyday, and even a couple places you could sit and order. The nightly restaurants had great quality food and service. Dinner did take a while because they want the experience to be memorable and for you to enjoy the meal. They do not try to get you in and out as quickly as possible, which I found relaxing and enjoyable. For the food & unlimited drinks, several restaurant choices between both sides of the resorts, pool bars and activities right on the resort, you are getting well worth what you are paying for this resort. Also the points are awesome and you want to make sure to use them all, you use them or lose them once you leave, its like having free money to spend almost.

Our wedding was also amazing, our wedding coordinator Cristina, planned and executed everything the exact way I wanted it. The only downfall was the weather, it rained a little so we had to work with that, but you cant control the weather.

The service was awesome, my now husband, they went and cut cocoa's down from the palm trees and gave them to us just because we asked for them. They pool service can be a little slow so order drinks in advance, and the restaurant service is great, but the dinner process can be a little slower than normal. Other than that, the staff is VERY friendly, they love to entertain you during the day at the pool, the activities are very fun to get involved in as well.

Our room was great, it had an ocean view and was set on the cove side but sort of toward the spa side, so we were in the middle of the resort, which was a great place to be. The beds are harder, not super soft, but I loved it and slept like a baby. The rooms were always cleaned, and they do a great job of restocking your fridge. Also the bell boys are VERY fast and helpful as well with your bags upon arrival and leaving the resort. You can expect about a 20 minute wait for room service, which I thought was very fast and efficient, and it was always accurate!

The resort is about 45min-1 hour ride from the airport. We personally did a private transfer, so it was only my husband and I in the car, an upgraded car and the guy stopped to even get us beer at the 7-11 on the way! It was about $100/person round trip, but WELL WORTH IT. You are not on a bus that stops at other resorts, or picks up/drops off other people. Its a direct ride, and you don't have to leave as early when you are leaving because its just you in the car. We used ON TOUR DMC for the transfer.

The SPA was great. Angel did my hair/makeup. He did a great job!! Its very clean and they offer great service for the price. THe points are very helpful when it comes to the SPA. I did tip additional for the great service I received.

Overall, we had a great experience and amazing wedding. We had about 56 guests come down from the US to join us, and all said it was well worth the price they paid.

The only thing I have to say and I wish Palace Resorts would address with me. Is on our wedding day a maintenance person came to the room because my air conditioner was leaking in our closet. He came around 4, I was just relaxing & got back from the SPA. It didn't seem like a big issue, it seemed like he fixed it then left. Well after the wedding was over around 645pm that evening, I found out there was water ALL over our room. My Brother & Sister in law along with my Aunt had to move all of our things to a new room, which also caused them to miss some pictures and most of the dinner that evening. We tried to speak with Julia (who was amazing the whole time) but she was unavailable. We were very disappointed they did not compensate for this inconvenience, upgrade our room, comp us a night or anything. We had family miss wedding events because of this issue and were not compensated what-so-ever. That was the only thing that will stay with me being somewhat disappointing in the management piece & I have yet to be contacted by someone to help rectify this issue.

HOWEVER with that being said, the only hiccups were water in the room that one day & the weather being somewhat rainy at times (which is uncontrollable). OTHER THAN THAT, we were pleasantly surprised, the pictures do not do this resort justice.

Room Tip: I would definitely use your points to upgrade to an ocean view. I do not think the concierge level i...
1 Thank SarahW459
Customer Servic... A, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you for choosing Aventura Palace to be the scenario for your special day and for giving us the opportunity to host you and your guests.
We are very glad to know that our staff, especially Cristina, was very helpful in making your wedding unforgettable.
It is great to know that you and your guests enjoyed our resort facilities and services.
We distress to know about the incident with your room, rest assured that we are doing the proper follow up on this matter and we will be contacting you soon.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to Aventura Palace.

Manchester, New Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

I went to this resort for a wedding, fortunately we were not staying at this resort, and were overcome by lack of just about everything. When originally lOoking into Mexico we were quoted a price of $2500. A person for 6 days. Outrageous. The paint was peeling everywhere, there was an overwhelming smell of mildew, the main lobby dosn't just leak, it pours in the main lobby when it rains. The food wasn't very good either and there is no actuall beach at this resort.
This resort is on its last legs, do your reasurch, belive me when I tell you there are MUCH better places to stay in the area for a fraction of the price. Check out grand rivera princess. We stayed there and it was amazing.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Joplin1990
Customer Servic... A, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, June 10, 2012
We are very sorry to know your perception about our resort, be sure that your our observations will be shared with our maintenance team.

In reference to your comment about our Resort lacking a beach area, please allow me to detail an excerpt from our website, which states: “The highlight of this resort's offerings is its deluxe full-service spa. However, if you are an active person you will want to choose from a range of activities including non-motorized water sports, tennis on three lighted courts, and golf on two nearby championship courses to keep you energized throughout your stay. Inlet style beaches invite snorkeling, swimming and kayaking next to snow-white sands, and a lap pool welcomes serious swimmers. A range of facilities designed with relaxation in mind include a yoga Hut, meditation garden, indoor pool with sound therapy, and a labyrinth Zen path modeled after the one at France's Chartres Cathedral. For true heart-pumping fun, you can try out the 100-foot climbing tower, the 14-obstacle fitness trail, the virtual spinning room or the wide range of classes offered in the full-service aerobic studio. The fully equipped fitness center offers everything from free weights, to treadmills, to stair and weight machines. Come evening, you are swept up in lively entertainment extravaganzas presented nightly at the resort”.

We sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you in the future and show you what a great experience we could provide you.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

We've visited Cancun several times over the last few years, generally staying at different resort locations. However, we recently bought into the Aventura Resorts and spent our first week at the Cove. Even though the Cove is in an ownership transition (moving to Hard Rock) as well as preparing for a physical transformation, the stay was great.

Beginning with the pickup at the airport and checking into the resort the experience was very good. Let me say that our experience was made even more positive as we were able to upgraded our rooms to the Presidential Suite which, within itself, made the entire trip exceptional. The suit and the view was magnificant.

I want to comment on the staff, starting with the publin relations personnel. Julia Tunyogi met us at the door when we arrived and we saw her cheerful face every morning we were at the resort. She became our go to person for whatever our needs. I would also like to complement Jay and Mauricio were so helpful entertaining the children with sports activity and crafts. Finally, all the restaurant staff were friendly and helpful.

My overall experience was positive. Were there areas that they need to improve...Yes. But, I discussed my observations with the front desk and the public relation personnel.

Before I close, a special thanks to Antoine Hammam in the Follow-Up Department, who worked tirelessly to make our stay pleasurable.

Thanks to all.

John

Room Tip: Suggest Presidental Suit on the water, third floor. We were not particularly pleased with having a...
1 Thank juancho0506
Customer Servic... A, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Thank you for sharing with us your experience at our resort. It is great to know that you had a wonderful time and that you enjoyed the Presidential Suite.
We love to know that Julia, Jay, Mauricio and Antoine helped making your stay pleasant and provided you with the excellent service that characterizes our staff at Aventura Palace.
We hope to have the opportunity to host you again.

Best regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Ri...
#1 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,142 reviews
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,734 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,612 reviews
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,921 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,999 reviews
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,639 reviews

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!