“Maybe I'm missing something...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Riviera Maya Catamaran Adventure
Ranked #6 of 36 Tours in Puerto Aventuras
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: During our 4 hour Catamaran tour we cruise the coast for approximately 1 hour each way dropping fishing rods out the back of the Catamaran so you may get lucky with the catch of the day! When we arrive at a secluded bay you will enjoy fantastic snorkelling seeing lots of marine life including turtles, sting rays and a variety of tropical fish. On our way back we will also stop in a gorgeous natural swimming pool. We provide you with all of the snorkelling equipment plus the tour also includes music, snacks of sandwiches, chips and cookies with an open bar of beers, rum, vodka, rum punch, soft drinks juices and purified water! We can cater to weddings, events, and business events if guests are looking for a different itinerary, we can always discuss it and do some modifications. They can play their own music and bring their own photographer on board. We can accommodate up to 80 guests with the 2 catamarans we have. Please contact us to check out our competative prices!
Runcorn, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Maybe I'm missing something...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

I'll try to keep this review in as much context as possible although having done many similar trips throughout the Caribbean and even Turkey that may prove difficult!

Starting with the positives. Pick up was very efficient and comfortable. We were picked up perfectly on time not far from the hotel in a very modern van and after one more pick up we were soon at the marina. On arriving we were greeted warmly by whom I presume were the owners and soon led out to the Catamaran which was a very nice modern boat. We set sail, the beers were cracked open and the music (which was pretty good) started playing. As for the crew they were very friendly on the most part, the main guide in particular was a very good laugh.

Unfortunately things went down hill from there. I was told the boat can hold up to 60 people but never more than 40 are loaded. If the boat can hold 60 people I certainly wouldn't want to be on it. Compared to comparable trips I've been on I felt space was a big issue and couldn't really spread out. After what felt like about an hour of sailing we stopped by this reef to do some snorkeling (equipment is provided). I know they can only work with what they've got but I wasn't particularly impressed with the reef and the currents made swimming difficult. Again I know this isn't something they have control over but the stop wasn't particularly pleasurable for me.

Once we set sail again it was lunch time and things didn't really improve. We each got a paper bag with a sandwich, packet of crisps and a little snack in which compared to the beach BBQs etc I've come accustomed to on such trips,s was very disappointing. (Though to be fair to them what lunch consists of is made clear beforehand.)

After a while we made our second stop at what appeared to be a not particularly interesting harbor wall. After hearing about this floating "diapers" I was intrigued to learn what they were, turns out its little more than a life jacket put on backwards... Alas I decided to sit that one out and watch people descend in the water and then have cans of cheap beer thrown at them. Shortly after this it was time to return to the marina and head home.

The problem I have with this trip is of value. We paid $110 per person for 3 of us so $330 in total making it probably the most expensive trip like this I've been on. I regularly go on comparable trips in places such as Cuba and the Dominican Republic which not only last all day as opposed to half a day, but also include more stops, a cooked lunch on the beach or on the boat, more space and to top it all a much smaller price tag! Which makes me wonder what my money has actually paid for.

So in conclusion, if you have good money to burn and fancy a ride out on a Catamaran for a few hours a long with a sandwich and a few beers then this is the trip for you. However if you've done these kind of trips elsewhere and are used to a certain standard of value then it may be worth sitting this one out.

1 Thank Kestrel90
amexmexico, Owner at FatCat Ocean Adventures, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. Please remember that the price you pay is not all ours, there is VAT(yes even in Mexico) and commissions, sometimes we are at the mercy of who sells our tours, regarding what you are told to expect.

The boats only ever take a maximum of 40 people so I do not know how you were led to believe we take 60, the catamarans sailed over from Cape Town, 47 days at sea in 40 foot waves a lot of the time.....so while I hear what you are saying about Cuba and Dom Rep, we really are not comparing the same quality of vessels, we are aware of what these are like.

You are served Corona, Pacifico and Modello beers, they don't come more blue chip Mexican than that so can not agree with the cheap beer. Sorry!

The famous reef......we get behind the reef, and sometimes there is a pull, which is why you are told to wear your buoyancy aid and listen to instructions and go out as a group, but really try to remind yourself that you are in the ocean not in a pool!

Red Deer
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Catamaran, snorkeling and swimming!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

This was amazing! You get on the catamaran with no more than 39 other people. There are two large nets on the front of the boat for relaxing and soaking up the sun. You sail to the reef for snorkeling with all equipment supplied including life jackets for those (like me) who aren't strong swimmers. Once you have seen the reef and it's fish and even stingrays you board the boat again to head back towards another area. While you head there, you enjoy a bagged sandwich, chips and cookies. All beverages on board are also included. They make a wicked rum punch as well as beer, liquor and lots of non alcoholic choices! Once you arrive at the next area, you slip on your "Mexican diaper" a life jacket put on upside down on your legs and waist and jump in while the crew throws out cans of cold beer if you want! The water is warm and cooler in spots due to the Cenotes - sea holes that mix fresh water in with the salt water. A highlight of our trip was the 45kg King fish that was caught while trolling on our way to the second swimming spot! It was huge!!! Very worth while and a great family activity!

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A Must Do!!! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I booked a 1/2 day trip and cant recommend this enough!
I cannot swim and have a fear of water so really wasnt looking forward to this but so glad we did it!
Spent maybe an hour or so going out to the snokerlling spot,the crew were so chilled out and fun,and always made sure we werent short of a beer or Rum Punch (i need that reciepe!)
Once we got to the spot,i decided to stay onboard as did a few others and it didnt take anything away from this trip,i wasnt forced to go into the water and could walk round the boat freely and even dip my feet over the side if i wanted. My boyfriend went snorkelling and said he didnt see the Turtles but did see corals and fish.
We sailed to a shallow area where people could get out and chill with a beer then sailed back to the port.
Overall a relaxed,laid back,fun day. So glad i did it and was the highlight of my holiday!

1 Thank Misshellcat
Calgary, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Such an amazing time!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

If you like partying on the water and you don't get seasick - do this!!!! Enrique, Jose Luis and Juan were awesome, funny and kept the drinks flowing. By far the nicest and biggest boat on the water that day. Very accommodating for all 14 of us. Thought the price was a bit steep at first but would absolutely do it again! Best activity of the trip - everyone (including the 7 year old) had a great time. Can't stop talking about it!

1 Thank Meaghan C
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Do It!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

The FatCat Catamaran Trip was fantastic!! It has a party atmosphere right from the start! The drinks are flowing freely and they really know how to show you a good time! The crew are funny, friendly and super helpful... especially with those who get seasick! They had me feeling right as rain in no time at all - who knew ice cold water could be so blissful!!

The trip itself is really great fun, the snorkelling is great, our guide was diving down to the bottom to move rocks to try and find spider starfish and many other marine creatures. We saw some truly beautiful fish and all in all was a great experience! (Lunch was included)

It may seem a little pricey but for what you actually get from it, its no money at all! Its well worth it! We booked through our travel rep within the resort

Visited August 2013