“Overall very good”
Review of Tesoro Ixtapa

Tesoro Ixtapa
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I read many of the reviews below prior to going. We just returned on 23rd Jan. I was a little concerned, but found that most of the complaints unfounded or clearly written by extremely picky people.
The hotel and rooms were always clean. The pool in particular. There were no cups or straws floating around like I've seen in other resorts.
There were always ample numbers of chairs around the pool. I can not speak to the beach as I don't usually sit on the beach.
The food was excellent. I read someone complained that the food was too Mexican. Hello, you are in Mexico. If you want Canadian food stay home!
There was a 24hr snack bar located behind the pool snack bar. During the hours when the buffet or snack were closed, this was open. And draft beer was available.
The staff were extremely friendly. We had a late flight and did not leave the hotel until 5pm. We asked for a late check out and were permitted to check at 3pm without any addition charge or without any hassle!
The one thing that was consistent was the towels. The maid would come, clean the room , and take the towels. But not leave fresh towels. I believe they would replace them later in the day. My wife and I would usually head to the room around 4pm for a siesta and just call for towels. We would get a knock at the door within 10-15 minutes with bath and hand towels and face clothes.
The nightly entertainment really wasn't all that great, but I don't go to Mexico for the shows.
Overall the hotel was very good and I would go there again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Pierre8333

Reviewed January 10, 2012

Where do i even begin?

I was excited to go to Mexico as I had been to Cancun and Puerto V in years past. I was expecting the same type of experience. I was sooo wrong. I though I would be eating delicious food and have plenty to do.

The food was HORRIBLE..it reminded me of Cuba! The only good thing was breakfast!
The room was terrible. SO out of date. TV barley worked, bathroom was also a eye sore.
The guy that cleaned our room... One of my BIGGEST complaints! I was on the 3rd floor. room 339.

He cleaned the room the first day (of course a tip was provided) made beds, left towels ect...
the 3rd day he only left 2 bath towels and no hand towels, the 4th day he left NO TOWELS and barley made the bed. ABSOLUTLY DISGUSTED WITH THE SERVICE.

The hotel caters to Mexicans and their families. As does their poor quality and selection of food.

I did visit the Melia hotlel and it was beyond words....Everything about it was amazing. I wish we had stayed there!

There is ZERO entertainment and drinks seemed to be watered down.

All in all a horrible experience.

The only good thing about this trip was the friendly staff and the beach. but if you didn't get there early enough (before 8am) you couldn't get a beach chair. I spent most of my vacation tanning at the Park Royal (right next to tesoro) as they had an abundance of chairs and shade.
I would NEVER go back or recomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank chilenita0978
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Disappointing experience at the Tesoro. We've been to several Mexican all-inclusives and enjoyed all of them until the Tesoro. We'd highly recommend Ixtapa; its got a great beach, lots of activities and great weather - just do not stay at the Tesoro.

On our first night, the family in the room next to us partied all night. At 6:00 am when we finally asked them the turn their music down they refused. After getting security to call them twice, they turned up the music and then hammered on our wall and later on the door. We thought they were trying to break in and my teenage daughter was hysterical with fear and we ran out of the room with my daughter too scared to go back. The hotel begrudgingly gave us another room - but not until after 3:00 pm and made us check out of our room before noon. We feel the hotel could have tried harder to mitigate our inconvenience.

At the buffet, I'm not picky eater but the meat was all terrible and in effect we all became vegetations. Every 2nd bite of meat whether beef, pork or chicken contained sinew, bone and/or gristle. The beef could not be cut by a normal knife. However, the fruit and vegetable dishes were quite good. The one al-a cart restaurant El Mezzon was even worse than the buffet. The beef in the fajitas was so tough that no one in the restaurant even touched it. There is also no air-conditioning in the restaurant, the lobby or the common areas at this hotel. The elevators are slow. The internet was unreliable and down for half the time we were there.

The rooms were a decent size and clean-ish except for a thin layer of sand and a suspect comforter. But even with 3 people in the room and repeatedly calling the front desk, it was nearly impossible to get 3 thread-bare towels or even one facecloth. Strangely they make each guest responsible for the cheap TV remote they hand you and check-in.

The chairs at the beach were in short supply and were of poor quality. If you didn't park yourself there before 8:00 am there were no spots left. Since half of the resort was used by condo owners, who often had mutiple families in each condo, the place always seemed over-crowded.

Most of the travel websites I saw rated this as a 4 star resort. It's a 2.5 star at best. We've stayed at a 3 star Mexican all-inclusive before and it was far superior to the Tesoro. It seems to cater more to the Mexican nationals rather than to Canadian/American standards. We regret not paying a few more $ to have stayed at a legitimate 4 or more star hotel.

Room Tip: If you want a good room try a different hotel - you won't find it at the Tesoro.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank 154913Brian
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Over the Christmas break, 2 friends and I spent a week at the Tesoro Ixtapa. Looking at a couple of areas, my criticism wavers.
STAFF: EACH member we encountered was accommodating, pleasent and friendly.

FOOD: if you are a picky eater, this is not the place for you. I found that the food was very catered to Mexican tastes rather than "North American" food. It wasn't the most tasty and we found it hard to please all of our desires at dinner especially. Breakfast was good and lunch by the pool was good.

BEACH/POOL: very clean and beautiful. The pool is large and well maintained. There are not enough chairs around the pool or the beach for everyone, so waking up early to reserve a spot is crucial (wake up at 6:30-7:30am).

ROOMS: clean, good size. Only 3 outlets for plugging things in.

HOTEL/RESORT (overall): this is where we were not impressed. We went to this resort hoping that we would be able to be at the beach during the day, going to the bar and snackbar when we wanted and be entertained at night. Though we were at the beach/pool each day, the snack bar didn't open until 12pm - 5:30pm. The bar closed by the pool at 6pm. NOTHING was 24hr service. There was a bar in the lobby that would stay open late, but not past 12am. There was no night life (no disco or music at all). In th lobby around the bar was seating (couches and tables) but no further entertainment. THey had a stage in the parkinglot for their shows. Karaoke was full of children and 20 english songs and hundreds of Spanish/Mexican songs.
We found that we had to go off the resort to entertain ourselves, which is not what we originally planned on doing.

We were at the resort Dec 27-Jan 3. Up to Jan 1 there were MANY Mexican families there with their children. This resot and Ixtapa in general is a Mexican vacation spot, not just tourists. This led to the restort being geared mainly to Mexicans and not others. After Jan 1 many of the Mexican left, which freed up chairs around the pool, beach and dining hall.

NEW YEAR'S EVE: BEAUTIFUL!!! they did a FABULOUS job for New Year's Eve, lots of food, beautiful decor, tons of food, live music (though all in spanish), dancing, fireworks.

I wouldn't recommend this place and would not go back. It is good for relaxation and for a family, though I would explore other options outside of Ixtapa totally.

Room Tip: They say that some rooms have a "partial ocean view", but that is because the building fac...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank didibobo
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We just returned from 5 nights at Tesoro Ixtapa and can't say enough about the fabulous New Years Eve party! Tesoro is a 3* resort but the New Years Eve party was definitely 5* !! The staff did an amazing job transforming the pool area into a beautiful outdoor restaurant. The tables were beautifully decorated, the band was terrific and the food - just amazing. HUGE buffet with really good choices including Steak Tampaquena and Shrimp Kabobs! The dessert choices looked as good as they tasted! Alcoholic beverages including champagne flowed freely. For guests on the All-Inclusive plan, this party was FREE!! We'll be back.

We spent one day at Ixtapa Island. Very fun!!

For the price, location and beautiful pool and beach, Tesoro is a good choice - expecially at New Years!! We'll be back!!

Room Tip: Our room, 229, was a deluxe partial oceanview room. As noted in another review, the noise form the...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Went in 2010 and returned in 2011 (nov/dec) very friendly, very family oriented hotel. Good food, always something for every one. Made some good friends from staff members to other people staying at the resort. Would go back. The only thing to be aware is, if you need to rent a car.....stay away from dollar rent a car. Me and my husband got really frustrated with their service. When first checked them out, the guy (Victor Hugo) seemed to be very nice and also spoke english. When we returned to make the reservation, he was not there but the girl in the office(Paola), not only did not speak english but did all the forms required to get the car for the next day at 9am(dec 10,2011).Next morning we were at the office in Ixtapa at 9am and she did not show up until 9:15, not even an apology for being late, and the car was still at the airport. We got the car by 10am. We were told the car was in good condition, including air conditioner working fine. When the car arrived it looked like it had been in a war, full of dents, the rear tires were 2 very small ones, we thought they were 2 spare tires, and the air conditioner did not work. But we took the car as it was our last chance to drive around the town. She asked us to return it next day by 11am. Again she did not show up until 11:45am and did not have the right key to open the office, so she and her partner had to go to the airport to get the right key. To make the long story short, we took the car back to the hotel where the car was picked up at about 2pm. Also they told us the price in US dollars but refused to take dollars they wanted the payment in pesos, so my husband gave them the payment in us dollars and their car key and said good bye and left them in the lobby. Also told them that they could exchange the dollars into pesos as they never mentioned that payment had to be in pesos only. Very frustrating experience.
We have in the past rented with other companies in Mexico, Brazil, USA, Canada and never had such a hard time.

Room Tip: avoid a room that has a door joining to next room unless you travel with another couple or relatives...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank helenaferrari
Reviewed December 20, 2011

My wife and I spent three weeks here and enjoyed every minute. The staff were unvaryingly friendly and courteous. Even after three weeks there was always something at the buffet to tempt us. A huge selection. Ixtapa is clean and safe.

The only negative in our whole trip was the treatment we received when renting a car through Dollar rental. They were very late at both pick up and drop-off. No apologies given.
They even refused dollars when the quote was in dollars then tried to charge a ridiculous rate of exchange. Avoid at all cost.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not have an adjoing room. The doors are very thin.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple