Azul Ixtapa Grand Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
“Vacation”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

The hotel is very nice,clean and great pools.The food is good but they need more variety!. The drinks are nice and strong :). Not much to do in the area but go into town and town is not that big.I have been to many different parts of Mexico such as Cancun,PV,Cabo,Mazilll and yes I would return here.The staff,people are all very nice and helpful.When in town you don't have anyone bugging you about timeshare.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor for good view of ocean
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank Rod26

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Turkish first
British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We were given day passes while staying at Azul Ixtapa. The pool areas are beautiful, great poolside service, yummy drinks. You can not beat the views in this part of Ixtapa overlooking the island.
The hotel is very modern looking, gorgeous, but no real Mexican feel to it. A very peaceful setting, it was a welcome respite to the hustle and bustle of our hotel. Tiny beach, but of course it's a short walk to the bigger one.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Linda24
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Great hotel excellent food. We like this place. Great to be away from town close to walk to playa Linda down the beach. Staying at this hotel gave us privilege to go to there sister hotel. Which I think has a better beach. And more entertainment. This hotel is great for couples get away. But nothing really for kids. Which I'm kinda glad as the shower in your room are glass hard to have privacy if u have kids

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Palm_trees1
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed June 2, 2014

The Great:

I traveled to Ixtapa Azul Grand with three girlfriends. We are old friends from different US eastern cities. The resort's decor is minimalist modern. I actually like the sleek designs. We traveled in the second week of May (low season). We were told that the resort was only at 30% of capacity but was full the week prior during Cinco de Mayo. The staff was welcoming and attentive to all our needs. Most spoke at least some English. I have traveled extensively throughout Mexico and the Caribbean and found the rooms to be enormous and had great views. All the rooms have impeccable ocean views. Oddly, there is a large jacuzzi type tub in the middle of each room even the rooms with two beds. The commode has a swinging glass door for visual privacy. The shower stall also has a swinging glass door. The shower has a high pressure rain style shower head. We worked out almost daily. The gym is well appointed. The equipment is new and highly technical. You can check your email or watch TV while on the cardio machines. The staff bring you water and towels as you sweat off the previous nights delicacies. The food in the restaurants was exquisite. The Asian and Mexican were our favorites. The pools are large and are spaced out nicely. The adult pool was quiet and serene. We also took advantage of the included bicycle tour to the nearby nature preserve. The tour lasted about an hour and a half. We saw some small wildlife. There were a few small hills but one big hill back to the hotel. The guide was patient as I walked my bike up the last hill. We did not participate in the included kayaking trip.

The Good:
The buffet food was excellent for breakfast and very good for the other meals. The buffet is indoors so you will not need to compete with gnats and flies. The staff was attentive. There was a lot of variety and quite a few traditional Mexican options. As seasoned travelers, we appreciated the local fare as opposed to the Western food we could eat at Golden Coral (our local low end buffet). I tried several new dishes. Narrow minded people who only want to eat pizza and burgers will likely be disappointed.

The Slightly Unusual:
The tiles throughout the resort are quite slippery when wet. The tiles in the outdoor bathroom near the pool are like ice barefoot or with sneakers. The rooms do not have clocks or radios. As Americans, we are accustomed to bathing with wash cloths. I realize that in many other countries people bath with bars of soap. This said, each day we had to make several calls to get wash cloths from housekeeping. Unfortunately, I speak some Spanish but did not know the word for it. It was a small daily micro battle. Maybe just pack of few from home.

FYIs:
All the retailers and taxis accept small (<$20) US currency. There was no need to exchange our money to pesos. The taxi ride from the airport was flat $41 divided by the number of passengers. I do not recommend the shuttle unless you are traveling alone. The ride is about 20 minutes or so. There are lots of shops (Cancun style) in downtown ZIH and Ixtapa. I don't think either is any better than the other. They are both very commercial. We rented a taxi for the day. He drove us to both cities and to an overview of Rose (I think) beach. There are nightly shows at the resort. Most of the shows are indoors in a conventional hall. The shows were entertaining. The last about 30-45 minutes. The shows do not include the audience games that are typically done at most resorts. After the shows, it is pretty much lights out. Some of the children and teens in the resort went to the lounge/game room. The lounge is large and is like a game room slash disco.

Overall, I HIGHLY recommend this resort, BUT I don't find it any better or worse than the high end Cancun resorts I have previously visited. Traveling to the pacific side of Mexico was a treat but added to our travel time and flight expenses. I have had the same experiences (with the exception of the awesome included bike trip) at other closer resorts.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
14 Thank Lori C
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Wow! Definitely ask for a higher floor room! The views are incredible. The restaurants and service are great. I highly recommend the Oyster Bar and Flor de Agave. The Aqua cafe buffet is also nice. A lot of choices and the breafast fresh fruits and juices- yummm! The also have a made-to-order omelet/ scramble bar daily. The hotel is immaculate and staff genuinely seem warm and welcoming and happy to have you there. I would highly highly recommend staying here. Tons to do, almost hourly fitness classes from spin, to zumba, to water volleyball... Kayak and bike tours (kayak will cancel based on weather though, so have a backup). Pools are very nice, BUT the nicest pool- The infinity has a lot of kids too. I was splashed in the face several times and squirted with water guns. The adult pool is far removed and doesn't view the ocean. I would recommend the adult pool be the infinity or at least the side with the waterfall be adult only. Kids don't care about or appreciate the ocean view they just want to jump in the water and splash each other. This is the nice of the two properties and suppose to cater to more adults so that is one thing I would highly recommend. The other thing I loved was the spa. A lot of great features I've never seen at the best LA and NY spas. The pool there was exceptional and very high tech. I have a 90 min aromatherapy massage and LOVED it. Again though, the spa closes at 6PM. Why? It would be so nice to have an evening massages, unwind in the spa area and just crash after. Having a massage mid-day when it's still hot outside is not as appealing. A few small changes and this place could be amazing for both single adults and families . It's pretty awesome though and I will definitely stay here again. The area is absolutely beautiful. It's very lush and tropical- lots of flowers and wildlife and again the people are wonderful. Every day I get a fresh flower design on my bed and it's always different and unique and a chocolate mint on my pillow each now- how sweet :).

Room Tip: Upper level
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank deloreshively
Alberta
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

I loved Ixtapa! This resort was very well maintained and super clean. It was on the smaller side but beautiful nonetheless! The only downfall was the service! I even attended the information session and was no further ahead than before I came. We had no clue about dining choices or where any of the restaurants were. They don't offer maps so I feel like we completely missed out on a lot of food choices. We are mostly at the buffet which got very repetitive! After about 5 days we began to find other restaurants and things were getting drastically better. However we were only staying for 7 days!

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank LosCabosWedding
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Azul Ixtapa in mid Jan 2014. We had a wonderful time at this beautiful new hotel. The staff were amazing. All rooms have ocean front rooms. The sunsets each evening are breathtakingly beautiful.
We rode the city bus to the ixtapa hotel zone and also to ziuantenago. The city bus stops right in front of the hotel. Both areas were fun to explore.
The swimming pools are great. The infinity pool is amazing! We highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family