“Be careful...Be very careful”

Pacifica Resort Ixtapa
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Yes, the views are beautiful, the beach is wonderful and the service is excellant but there is more to a vacation than just these things. The room we were assigned was on the 4th floor/level of one of the many buildings that comprise this facility. Our room was rather shabby and clearly needed some improvement. There was no cold water available at the bathroom sink. It took 2 phone calls to get this fixed. Also, there was something the matter with the bathroom venting so the bathroom smelled like sewage all the time. We had to leave the shower fan on 24 hours a day hoping to remove the smell. Our neighbors on one side were a very noisy family and there was construction on the other side of us. Our room was not easily accessable. Because the resort is built on a side of the hill, none of the rooms in the resort are easy to get to. This resort is not for the physically challenged. If you have congestive heart failure, arthritis, bad knees, ankles, hips, need to use a cane, walker or wheelchair this is not the place for you. The hallmark of this establishment is stairs--lots and lots of stairs. A full flight of stairs have to be climed from the beach to even reach the elevator. Once there, the elevator will not take you to the floor your room is on. You will have to climb more stairs to get to your floor. During our stay the elevator was shut down for 2 days inorder for them to paint the door and put new tile on the elevator floor (shouldn't this have been done when tourists weren't there). At night, the smell of sewage is strong throughout the grounds and the beach/dining area. Management encourges its members who have purchased the dining plan to eat at the dining area on the beach called Tuplianes. Tuplianes is buffet style. The food is poorly presented and poorly cooked. But the real problem is that the food is possibly unsafe to eat because hot and cold food holding is unsatisfactory. In other words..hot food is not being held at temperatures to prevent the growth of foodborne pathogens. Cold food is not cold and also presents a risk to health. To me, eating the tepid medicore food that has the potencial to make you very sick while watching the ocean and smelling the sewage is a less than optimal experience. I never want to go back to this facility. I did not like Ixtapa Resort.

Room Tip: We didn't have a choice in our room and the other people we talked to indicated the same. All...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jensen T
There are newer reviews for Pacifica Resort Ixtapa

Reviewed January 17, 2014

We did a exchange for this hotel. The view from our one bedroom in the pacifica junior sands was amazing. The hot tub on the balcony was wonderful. The location was great and so were the pools. The ocean water was actually warmer than the air. We ate a couple of meals at the restaurants on sight. Very good food but rather expensive by Mexican standards. Nice location within walking distance to Ixtapa. We took the bus to Zihuatanejo a couple of times. Buses were easy to use. The Commercial Mexicana was only a block away from the bus stop contrary to previous reviews and a great place to buy groceries. If I had one negative to stay about this resort, it would be the sewer smell in the bathroom. The last night it was really quite strong. I don't know whether there was a problem but since it was our last night we didn't bring it up. Also check out time was 10 am which is a little earlier than everywhere else we have ever stayed.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank kaalgo
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We have been going to Pacifica resort for a long time and it continues to grow and evolve. The people are wonderful, the property is beautiful and located on a cliff overlooking the ocean. We really enjoy the quiet atmosphere, great beach and the freedom of having what is essentially a small apartment with all the amenities. We have done the all-inclusive thing in a number of places and the advantage of having your own kitchen and not being locked into just the resort's restaurants are great.

Booking the dates you want can be a challenge as many of the regulars book a year in advance. They are always rebuilding/upgrading and this is a great thing…unless you are next to the construction. I also wonder if the number of people sold time/units and the number of spaces available also add to challenges in getting dates or accommodations you want. Flights to Ixtapa are not as numerous , cheap or convenient as they once were. This is a time share resort so you will be pitched and lose a part of a morning to a sales pitch each time you go. Its not high pressure and we like the update on what they are doing but some people do get bothered by this.

We are not fans of their beach activities (the people running it are very nice, though) or the music intermittently pumped out from their speaker system (let alone the feedback) but some people thrive on this. We just head for a quieter part of their beach and do our own thing.

Its become much more of a Mexican destination so less English spoken and less Americans and Canadians there. You decide if that's a good or bad thing. We like it.

All in all a great place to visit.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank yournamehereCanada
Reviewed December 4, 2013

15 years ago I bought into an RCI resort in Hawaii & was given a bonus week at Pacifica which I used before my first scheduled Hawaiian vacation. I was so impressed with the resort that I bought it. I've traded Hawaii regularly & eventually converted to points but Pacifica is untouchable! I never would even consider trading it. I come 2 or 4 weeks each years and even considered joining the sales team upon retirement because I love, love, love this resort.

The first year I traveled as a single woman but felt completely safe and secure. The security guard realized I was traveling alone & said he would keep a special eye on me. In addition to normal beach activities they have a aqua aerobics, nightly shows, Zumba dance lessons, kayaking, bicycle tours & numerous contests and games, all free designed to engage, entertain and connect you with others so that it's one big family. They say everything in Spanish & English and though occasionally idioms and the like can sound funny in a cute way, they will make themselves understood.

All of the above is great, the best place I've ever been & I travel 8 weeks a year so have a lot to compare it to, however two things make this resort stand out head and shoulders above all others. The grounds and facilities are under constant care with incredible attention to detail. Beyond that the staff will bend over backwards to serve you and make you feel genuinely welcome & valued. The staff are Our (fellow owners) friends. Their ability to remember each of us as individuals, our professions, our family & even pets is incredible. The year my Mom died while I was on vacation there was incredible. The staff noticed my mood change, asked about what was wrong, gave me words of encouragement, some offered prayers and 3 cried with me, though they'd never met her but from my stories still could appreciate my loss.

This is a phenomenal, almost magical place to those of us who are "socios" (members) of the Pacifica family. I visit in either Nov or Dec and reconnect with my friends I've made here both from Mexico and other socios who return. It's amazing how many people you come to know from the interactions here.

Don't pass up an opportunity to visit.

Room Tip: Almost every room has an ocean view as it is built cascading down the side of a mountain. The except...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank BlingAndShareIt
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

This resort is amazing. The staff make this vacation. From the moment I arrive to the moment I leave, I am catered to in every way. The staff, my friends, are simply amazing. They do whatever it takes to assure my happiness and the best possible stay. I bought another room so I may stay 2 weeks a year. One week is not enough. Guest services, reception and even my online reservations and collections have the best customer service I can ask for. And believe me, I am quite demanding at wanting things done in a quick way. Im always impressed by Jenny Melo in collections, Alondra in Guest services, Perfecto, Daniel and Asiah in customer service and bell men, the fantastic team in Moon Bar and also the team in Bugambillias bar and restaurant. So many great people there. I cant wait to return next season. It doesnt get any better. I do not want to go anywhere else. Thanks

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank mngonefishing
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We enjoyed our week at this resort. The buildings cascade down the side of a hill to the beach. Our unit was a "senior sands" and offered a 180-degree panoramic view of the bay, golf course, and mountains to the east. Our favorite afternoon relaxation was sitting in the pool on our balcony sipping drinks and taking in the view. Our unit was very comfortable and had an extra bath which was convenient. A nice touch was coffee and rolls being delivered every morning to the room. The steps were a problem for my wife, and although we asked for a unit with few steps, there were 40 steps one way from the street to the unit. This limited the number of times we could go in and out. However, the vans were great in shuttling us around, sometimes arriving after our call at the same time we reached the street. Service was consistently excellent. Our maid, Cristina, was outstanding and kept our unit clean and well stocked. The main all-inclusive restaurant is on the beach. It is buffet style and we thought the food was good, but not great. The best restaurant is El Faro and is located at the top of the hill. We ate dinner there twice and really enjoyed it. Food, service and ambience were outstanding at this restaurant. We had several staff members who were outstanding. A good example is the evening we ate at the Bugambilias restaurant which offers al fresco dining around a pool. Although it was lovely, the mosquitos were a nuisance. Our hostess, Reyna, noticed and came over to the table and offered to spray us with "Off", and we gladly accepted. Another nice touch was a cabana reserved on the beach every day for us. It offered shade, chaise lounges, table and chairs and great service from Antonio, offering refreshments from the bar. Note that you are limited to beer, Mexican wine and non-premium tequila. My only other complaint are ants in the unit. All in all though, we would recommend this resort.

Room Tip: This is a large resort with a variety of rooms. I think the best are Aqua, Master Sands, and Senior...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mikee47
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I am an owner of the resort and have been since 2000. I use the resort every other year and have had nothing but an outstanding time. The resort is immaculate. The people are so friendly. There are a ton of activities to do for free. Anything you need they will get for you. Most everyone speaks English so there shouldn't be a problem. The water is purified. You can spend your entire holiday here or walk into Ixtapa on a ten minute walk where there are a lot of good restaurants. Or head into Zihua either on bus or taxi where there is a whole new town, the old village.
They do try to get you into the timeshare presentation; however you can simply not go. Or don't answer the phone if they call. This town relies on tourism, that's why it exits.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good. The resort is built on a hill so there are rooms closer to the beach and th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family