“Pacifica resort Ixtapa”

Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
minnesota
“Pacifica resort Ixtapa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

To start everyone is po'd because they had to pay an assesment fee this yr. if they were owners at this resort! Apparently it is in our contracts (I do not have an original I bought on a website). When all was said and done they made special offers to owners: such as an extra week free when you paid this fee. I first clicked very good and decided to change it to excellent because of the staff we have encountered over the last 7 yrs. The person above was in a Aqua (well let me tell you if I was in an Aqua I would be be staying in my own condo on the beach). Have you ever heard the phrase typical American? Well I have and being a middle class person I really don't feel good hearing it. :( I do believe the Pacifca is like any other business (exspecially in MX) trying to do the best for their buck. There are things that I dislike heck I told them to Santos who talked to us about rebuying this year. I am still trying to decide if we should buy or not. The problem is the lack of and price from MN lately. Not sure about those of you that visit through RCI or some where else but as an owner and visiting yrs. in a row. The staff is awesome.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank minnesota_nice

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Calgary, AB, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

My wife and I love traveling to Mexico and have been lucky enough to stay in several places on both Mexico’s Pacific and Caribbean Coast. We enjoy the people and the relaxed culture. This was not the case at the Pacifica Resort in Ixtapa. Here you will experience Mexican nationals cutting inline in front of you at the concierge desk, at the restaurant line, and at the bars.
Although, I should start at the beginning. When we arrived at the front desk they had no record of our reservation. Lucky for us we had already confirmed our reservation and details of the all-inclusive package several times in the prior week. Once I showed them the email conversations they acknowledge we had reservations. They then promptly started to sell us the all-inclusive package. I had to show them that our reservations included this package. This was topped off with a timeshare pitch before we even had been assigned our room!!!
Our room was old but functional and it had a nice view of the ocean and Ixtapa. It had a hot tub on the balcony. The goal was to drink Champaign in the hot tub and watch the sunset. This romantic idea was never achieved as the children in the room above us used theirs as a splash pool and we had constant drips coming down on to our balcony and the noise of children playing until after 11:00 when we gave up.
I always thought that the occupancy maximum at resorts was to limit the springbreak crowd from having one room for a dozen people….now I feel it is to limit an extended family consisting of a couple of grandparents, parents, and four of five kids from occupying the same room.
Beach:
Beautiful beach with only a few palapas. In your daily paper it is partially outlined in Spanish that reservations for the palapas will be taken at 7am each morning. If your Spanish is rusty you will miss this fact and be evicted from your palapa. Of course this only works if you let it, I saw one group not evicted without any problem….but I think the concierge read his neck tattoo and thought to avoid the conflict.
The buffet was dreadful. No bacon for breakfast but refritos are available for every meal. On the first night I cut into my meat and blood came out of it, so I did not eat it. When the waiter saw it he gave me grief and then had the chef talk to me. Later when I was reviewing my bill I noticed that these gentlemen had charged me $6 for not finishing my meat. I had front desk waive this charge.
There are some positives:
The Moonbar run by Maria has very good staff and their chef is an expert with mahi mahi. I would recommend this restraunt above all others at this resort. The pool service from Innocente during the day at Bugambillias is very good as well.

Most importantly get off the resort! The restraunts in Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo are wonderful. People you find in town are polite and happy to serve you. Their English is excellent. Zihuatanejo has the amenities of most tourist towns but still retains it fishing village atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Andrew P
keizer
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

We are stuck with three weeks a year in the aqua section at pacifica, on top of the $3000.00 per year maintenance fee, we were just hit with an additional $2400.00 assesment fee to pay for pay increases, and new offices. We were promised all kinds of improvements when we spent almost $60,000 five years ago, none of the promised improvements have happened. Stay as far away from this awful place as you can.

Room Tip: go some where else,you won't get what you paid for at Pacifica
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Dave m
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

This is a timeshare resort.

My father-in-law has a share at Pacifica, a Master Sands unit which has a master king suite, a second guest suite with two queens and a butler quarter with bunks (twin size). There are also two full baths and an open-air layout with its own small infinity pool. The unit is great for entertaining as I am guestimating at being around 1700sqft. The views of the beach and golf course are absolutely beautiful.

Most units have a modern kitchen so you have to option to prepare your own meals if you would like. We stopped in Zihua on the way from the airport to do some light grocery shopping (snacks, cerveza, tequila). You can purchase a meal plan or go ale carte if you chose. We like to drink on the beach all day while relaxing so the drink plan paid for itself. The meal plan we chose included the breakfast buffet daily and your choice of lunch or dinner. The food was above average but not the best I have ever had at an all-inclusive. The bar did include many premium brands and the bartenders had no problem pouring doubles if you ask.

The grounds are well manicured but perhaps a little intimidating when first trying to navigate your way around. There is 24hr shuttles that run all over the resort should you not feel like walking. There is also a cable car that will take you from the beach to the midway or El Faro, the top of the resort. Note the cable car does not operate on Saturday because of scheduled maintenance.

Staff is helpful and accommodating though for some reason they got on my brother's case the last day. We did Saturday to Saturday and paid for a 7 day meal plan. My brother showed up on Tuesday and left with us on Saturday paying for a 4 day meal plan. They wanted to charge him for breakfast before we checked out on Saturday stating he only had a 4-day plan... we had a 7-day plan... Friday marked the last day for all of us - Why did we get to eat free and not him. They didn't have an explanation in Spanish or English.

The Beach (playa) is beautiful in Ixtapa. We would walk from one end to the other and back each morning after breakfast. We calculated it to be 5 miles round-trip. Soooo relaxing!

Ixtapa is not dangerous in my opinion. There is a presence of heavily armed soldiers and police but just stay on the beaten path, don't walk into shady or disserted areas at night. Stay amongst the population and you will be fine.

Room Tip: Master Sands are the best!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank NOTurTYPE
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITH LOMA DEL MAR! THEY ARE FRAUDS! We had a wk at Club Med but where approached by Jose at the airport who tried to get us to come for a day at Loma Del Mar Spa Resort. He promised us both free massages, snorkeling, steak dinners and to swim in their spa pools. He claimed it was not a time share, he just wanted us to check it out so that we might consider the place for next yr. We told him we might consider it. He than said that for a round trip taxi fare to Club Med and back to the airport on the day we leave to go home would be $70.00. We decided to pay upfront for the rd trip taxi fare. He then mentioned that if we DID decide to go to Loma Del Mar he would refund the total taxi fare and to keep that in mind, If not, he would just take us to Club Med and pick us up on the day that we were to go home. Well long story short ,we didn't go to Loma Del Mar Spa Resort instead just stayed at Club Med. When it was time to pick us up to take us back to airport he was no where to be found. We had to pay for another taxi to take us to the airport. At the airport I went back to talk with Jose but another guy was working. When we told him we wanted half our taxi fair back he called Jose who promised he would quickly come back to the airport and refund us half of our taxi fare.
Well we had two hours to wait around and we NEVER NEVER SAW HIM AGAIN! I will never do business with these people and recommend you do not either. Beware of these dishonest people at the airport and just say NO. Get your own taxis and don't listen to anyone, they are liars!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jade R
Fort Myers, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

Ok to visit but you do not want to buy a timeshare here. This developer has continued to raise maintenance fees annually while taking away things that the resort originally had, I.E. free golf, which than became half price and then nada, A swim up bar pool which eventually had the bar removed and is now a childrens pool. Transportation to the commercial area which is no longer provided. The lastest is a $575 "special assessment over and above the annual maintenance fee to all owners. By the looks of things, management is not putting the money collected in maintenance fees back into the resort. It's either going into the developement of other properties or into the pocket of the developer.

Room Tip: Try to get either a Club unit on the highest level which will have the best view and away from noise
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
9 Thank ted61
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

Just back from Ixtapa. Nine Family members spent 10 days at this resort and there were good and bad experiences. First off when we arrived we were told we had no rooms. Thru RCI we had booked a Masters Sands Ste., a Sands Studio, Sands 1 BR, and a Club Studio. We notified the resort we would not be arriving until Nov. 2 (booked from Oct. 29 to Nov. 12) and received email confirmation that it was no problem. When we arrived, our rooms were not available. We were eventually (2 hours later) assigned rooms, however not rooms we booked.
We were able to get the Agua 2 BR which is beautiful for 3 nights, and a Jr. Sands 1 BR. We did get our Master Sands Ste. three days later, but it meant moving which is no small task with 5 adults and a 1.5 yr old. Bart at Reception (who worked very hard to accommodate us) also applied a discount for our All Inclusive Fees for the first three days. So travellers beware, this resort has many many different categories in various sections (specially the Sands, Club and Golf Rooms), and I would definitely confirm with the resort (in writing) just exactly what you can expect to stay in. Some units are pretty dated, most are very nice. I notice RCI has amended their web site (in the last 10 days) to show very vague room descriptions and amenities for this resort which is a more honest approach to this resort.

Other than the above, if you are lucky enough to get a great room, such as the Master Sands 2 BR ste, it truly is marvelous. Open air concept, with lovely mini pool, incredible views, and very spacious. The other rooms (2 Jr. Sands 1 Br) were certainly adequate with nice views
from large balconies, with jacuzzis.

Many, many thanks to Felix (who seems to be the Resorts PR guy) for all his assistance which included reservations at the ala carte's. Perfecto who was our Concierge, was extraordinary.
Very efficient, friendly and had us in our suite, and then moved us on Sat., and ultimately checked out and arranged for our taxi to the airport in expert fashion.

The restauants are all very good. The buffet at Tulipanes (with beach setting) offers something for everyone, and their Seafood Lunch which I think was on Wednesday was excellent. Monday Night is Mexican Night, with the best Mariachi Band in Mexico! The ala cartes are all great. El Faro offers a fantastic view, great service, live entertainment, and excellent food.
Bugambilias was incredible. Caesar Salad made out our table was the best, as were the Spanish Coffees. We enjoyed the entrees, and between the eight of us, everyone had a different dish and all were excellent. Our other experience was at the Moon Bar for dinner on Wednesday Night which is Barbeque Night. Terrific (recommended by Felix)! Maria at the Moon Bar arranged for a table on the beach in the sand - great food, especially the ribs! Best Spanish Coffees!

Our beach servers, Abel, Carlos, and Jose Manuel were fantastic! Keeping eight adults and one infant supplied with drinks and food is no easy task but served us with ease and we wanted for nothing. Great drinks, and the food was great (Beach menu outstanding)! The beach is lovely, water was warm, and we all enjoyed immensely. The Pools on the beach are very very nice.

You will not be disappointed with this resort. It does have many, many stairs, but there are shuttles that take to whereever you need to go within the resort, as well as the gondola (which by the way is closed for most of Saturdays for servicing).

Three of our guys went fishing and caught a sailfish, dorado, and many tuna. Lorenzo on the beach handled the arrangements. Some also went snorkeling by Ixtapa Island which they enjoyed. The little town of Ixtapa is very clean, with all the shopping requirements, restaurants etc. you may need. The Marina area is also lovely at night with great bars and restaurants.

Room Tip: If travelling from Canada or US, opt for Jr. Sands, Master Sands or Agua and you'll not be disap...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family