2,935 results
All reviewssun clubbluewater grillda mariothe blue water grillcoco cafeswim up barwindows buffetitalian restaurantentertainment teambarracuda barpartial ocean viewbig benking bedsmaller resortdress coderecommend this resortroom number
Reviewed January 19, 2015

Stayed from Jan 11 thru 18...check in was quick and room was a large family style ocean suite on the 5th floor.We thought that overall the food to be good, bar service top notch,and attitude of workers was excellent.The hotel has persons in the lobby with orange shirts looking to invite anyone to attend a presentaion for their "vacation club"....dont bother stopping or you will hear their pitch until you have to be rude and walk away from them! It is obvious they get a good commision or they would not be so agressive...this is the only negative that we found during our stay. The resort is small but well laid out.During the day the music at the pool is kept at a low volume and is only turned up for water aerobics...most of the other guests were in the 40-65 year age group along with a few familys with children...one of the most pleasant & mellow groups we have ever encountered!...especially the always super friendly Canadians ay....the beach is long and wonderful to take long walks on...their are huts with massage tables farther down--great prices compared to hotel spa!...would return in the future if we come back to Ixtapa.

Room Tip: choose beach front family suites..worth the upgrade...2X the room
  • Stayed: January 2015, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Byronomo
Reviewed January 18, 2015 via mobile

We were here from Jan 11th thru 18th 2015 great food,fantastic service Antonio at pool bar was excellent food was very good will definitely go back great bang for the buck was not a lot of kids but definitely a family resort

Stayed: January 2015, traveled with friends
8  Thank Kathleen H
Reviewed January 18, 2015

My kids and I had the privilege of staying at this quaint resort at the beginning of the year. My sister and mother joined us as well. This was my first all inclusive experience with my kids one 14 the other 9.
There were only a few negatives I can think of. There was some noise coming from the lobby bar and the outside nightclub that slightly inhibited sleep. The rooms are quite small (but we didn't spend much time in our room). The fitness center is also very very small and lacked equipment BUT it met my needs for the most part, I wasn't in Mexico to work out. The ocean in front of the resort was very rough. (there was a broken leg and 2 other injuries while we were there) We swam at Ixtapa island and further down the beach, where it wasn't as rough. We loved the buffet and the a la carte restaurants but did have one bad experience at Oceana where they forgot half our food....when it did arrive it was cold. Really though....the negatives are just nit picking. It was an amazing stay.
I'm a big fan of these smaller resorts. Though Sunscape Ixtapa is older, the renovations are nice and the resort is super clean. The service was amazing (as it usually is at all inclusive resorts).....I sure loved not having to make reservations at the a la carte dining......the food was quality was good to excellent. We really enjoyed the Asian restaurant and the Blue Water grill. The entertainment team was great at their jobs, the kid's club was also stupendous. My 9 year old stayed with us mostly BUT on occasion when we were "boring" was very entertained by the activities they had planned. If you have kids, the Kids club will look after them from 9-9....they even have a couple of sleep overs. We hardly took advantage of the kid's club, but it was nice to know the option was there. The pool and waterslide, though older, were very nice. We never had a problem getting poolside chairs, however we were perturbed by how many people saved premium chairs as early as 6:30 AM.....often leaving them unattended most of the day. My youngest daughter lived in the pool, she LOVED it....though it was over her head. Drink service at the pool was also wonderful.
Ixtapa is generally super consistent weather wise....hot and sunny. The beach is great for walking and running. The evening shows were quite good, especially considering the size of the resort. My mother was super impressed and looked forward to every show. Those young dancers should be commended.
The resort is in a great location. There is good flea market style shopping close by. As well higher end stores. We also rented a boat from a guy on the beach for only $70 and did some snorkeling at Manzanillo beach and spent another day on Ixtapa Island and another couple of hours in Zihuatanejo. The island and Zihuat are easily accessed by taxi (water taxi) and bus. All quite inexpensive. We also loved that so many Mexican people were also enjoying the resort. There was a nice mix of Canadians and Americans. Overall, another excellent stay In Ixtapa. Love this area of Mexico. We loved the resort too. Hats off to management and the staff. I would definitely recommend the resort and the area, especially for families.

• Stayed: January 2015, traveled with family
16  Thank HUGS154946
Reviewed January 16, 2015

Excellent service with friendly, fun staff. The hotel is very clean. The food is wonderful with lots of choices. The kids' area is away from the main area of the pool so it was very quiet. I can't say enough good things about this resort. I will definitely go back. The only drawback, and it is minor, is that our room was small. Be sure to take a 10 minute walk down the beach for one hour massages for 150 pesos! I went every single day for a massage and the girls there are top notch.

• Stayed: January 2015, traveled with friends
17  Thank Monlucriel
Reviewed January 15, 2015

My family and I stayed here over Christmas week and what a great time we had. The staff was fantastic from the moment of check-in to the moment we checked out. I would certainly recommend staying here again.

Some of the PROs:
The location of this resort is great. Senor Frogs and other restuarants and shops are all just a couple blocks away (easy walking distance).
The resort provides great entertainment during the day with activities, bike tours, and such. I would say, their Noon Swim Exercise class that most of these resorts have, Sunscape's class actually looked like it was a workout.
Every room has some sort of ocean view.
No wristbands required. No need for reservations.
Friendly staff including service at your lounge chair.
Pool Bar is probably one of the best I have experienced in a resort. It was large enough with extra pool seating in the area so you can either sit in the shade or sun.
Food in the restaurants were really good. The Italian place was my favorite as was the caribbean resaurant. All were good.

CONs:
The beds...the one flaw would have to be the beds. Super hard and I don't think a person really gets used to them. This is the one area, the resort should work on improving.
As mentioned in the tips...try to request a room that does not end in the 20s...as those are near the nightclub (not the resort's nightclub) and you will hear their music all night like we did.

Again, we were there over Christmas and the resorts and Mexico tend to be pretty full. The staff did a great job handling it and it never felt like it was crowded. You could always find a pool/beach chair during the day. Felix and his team were terrific!

Others have commented here that the elevators were slow and minibar not stocked well. We never had elevator issues. I was surprised how quickly they were all week. And our minibar was stocked daily.

Tips:
Do try to get to the restaurants when it opens if you have a group more than 5 people or come later in the night.
Suggest not getting a room that ends in the 20s as that is close to a nightclub and you will hear music late into the night.
Walk down the beach just a little bit if you are looking for a great massage. There are about 6 massage huts, and they run about 150 pesos ($10).
The do offer timeshares...but if you don't interact with them, they do avoid you and there is no hassling.

Room Tip: Request a room that does NOT end in the 20s - as that is close to a nearby disco and the music can be loud at night.
  • Stayed: December 2014, traveled with family