“Lovely area - needs a bit to really be part of the AM resort family”

Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed at the Sunscape Dorado from Jan. 4 - 11, 2014. We have stayed at other AM Resorts, being Dreams Punta Cana twice (once when it was a Sunscape property, then became Dreams), Now Larimar in Punta Cana and Secrets Capri in Mayan. We loved all properties, each offering its own kind of uniqueness. Great food at all, wonderful service, wonderful people. The only "bothersome" part of AM Resorts is their "membership sales" but that never affected our overall vacations.

I'll mention a couple of overall impressions of AM Resorts and then get to Sunscape Dorado.

Pros:

1. Wonderful having not to wear bracelets

2. Love the fact that no reservations are required for supper

3. Very good food

4. Great service

Cons:

1. We have found that a gentle no thank you suffices when it comes to the "membership sale" pitch (except at Now Larimar where they were quite pushy and bothersome)

2. My husband is a Canadian rye drinker which was fine at all of the AM Resorts we have been to EXCEPT for Suncape. The only Canadian rye that was available was Canadian Mist which my husband is the worst he has ever had - Cuba has better rye. In speaking with one of the lobby bar personnel, he was advised that Canadian Club was "illegal" - whatever that might mean. We did notice on our trip in town that the liquor store also did not carry anything except for Canadian Mist. Sunscape had other top shelf liquor which made it even more confusing. The fact that my husband couldn't enjoy a decent rye drink did not ruin our holiday, but it certainly left a bad impression. My point is that there is an expectation for uniformity in a chain and we are curious why Sunscape lacked in this area.

Now unto Sunscape itself.

Pros.

1. It's a highrise obviously. This is not our particular favorite type of accommodation but that seems to be the norm in Ixtapa. The elevator issue that people talk about is not as bad as it seems. It's true that sometimes not all elevators are operating at the same time (for whatever reason) but it doesn't take that much time out of your holiday to wait a few minutes.

2. Absolutely wonderful location and weather. My husband and I are in our 50s and now find that from Dec. to April, pool water at all resorts (we have been to DR, Cuba, Mayan, Cancun, Jamaica....many times) is on the cool side. Not in Ixtapa!! We were in the pool by 9:00 am, no problem. Pacific ocean water was warm too - didn't expect that. For you beach lovers out there, we have never seen such a clean and inviting beach. Absolutely no weeds, pebbles, shells anywhere, from the beach to and including the ocean floor. The weather was hot, hot and hot.

3. Pool - pool and surrounding always kept very clean. This is not one of those resorts where the staff leave empty glasses and other trash left behind by lazy tourists. Waiter service at the pool was wonderful too. There is a swim up bar plus another bar near the pool and snack bar. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Cons:

1. Food - good and not so good. We personally like having the choice of a poolside snack bar/grill plus a buffet for salads, etc. The poolside grill here had a very limited choice of food (hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, and some days some kind if rolled, fried chicken filled something). The buffett was only open once for lunch. The only other option was an a la carte which had very tasty food but the service was apalling. I don't care to wait anywhere from 1 -2 hours for lunch. One day, our order was given to another couple! Getting a 2nd glass of wine during that 2 hour lunch "break" was an ordeal.

We had supper one night at the Oceana - not impressed. The location of that a la carte is nice with a beautiful view of the ocean but the "restaurant" looks more like what a lunch "barefoot" outdoor grill should look like. The food was nothing to get excited about.

The Mexican fiesta night didn't leave us impressed either. Maybe we were spoiled at Secrets Capri in the Mayan by their idea of a Mexican fiesta night but I'm not a picky eater and I had a hard time.

Here's a bit of comedy. The a la carte restaurant I meantioned above where we went for lunch ...we went there one night for supper. The soup was amazing. I then ordered what was entitled "vegetable symphony" for my main meal. What I got was a dinner size plate completely filled (decoratively I might add) with brocoli and cauliflower - enough to feed a family of 4 with leftovers perhaps. I love brocoli and cauliflower but I never envisioned being served a platter for a meal - they didn't have other vegetables??

Overall we had a good vacation. Here's some add'l info.

1. Across the road is a variety of shops, restaurants, etc., to walk through. We felt very save and the people we encounted trying to sell tours, etc., were very nice - no hassels if you said no thank you.

2. A must do - there is a restaurant called "Frank's" - owned for the last 15 years by a Canadian. Just a short walk from the hotel. We met him - very nice. His menu is quite extensive but we went there for the pizza - delicious (take note, you will not find pizza at the resort). He bakes it in a stone oven (firewood and all). It cost us $27.00 for a large pizza, 1 beer and 1 (nice size) glass of wine. More than worth it.

3. Love Ixtapa. Hope to go back but I don't think it will be to Sunscape. FYI - we walked the beach and ended up at the Barcelo - met a nice couple who told us they were enjoying it but the food was just OK.

4. Rooms are average - great large showers - sometimes the waterflow would stop in mid-shower and it was few minutes before it came back. My husband lost hot water a few times. We've never experienced that before. We had excellent service with our mini fridge - we drink a lot of bottled water and they certainly accommodated us in that area, as well as beer, juice and pop. We were on the top floor (21st, but they start counting the room floors at #10 and #13 is left out, therefore there are really 11 floors). From our balcony we could see the beach, pool, town and mountains....WOW. It was wonderful.

5. This seems to be one of "those" resorts where you need to get up at 6am to reserve your chairs with towels. I hate that practice but I don't think it's the resorts fault...it's the tourists. It was also very noticeable that people would reserve their chairs and then leave them all day unused!! All I can say is that people who do this must think they are pretty special and much more important that any of the other vacationers.

6. Most of the staff were wonderful - helpful and very pleasant.

I think this resort has a few things to improve in order to live up to the AM Resort experience that we are used to.

4  Thank sandydogOntario
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, Director General at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear sandydogOntario,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such a detailed summary of your experience with us on TripAdvisor.we are pleased to know that you are a committed client of the AM Resorts family, thank you for giving this time an opportunity to Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

As part of the AM Resorts family, we are fully committed to provide an excellent service of quality and comfort with a warm and friendly attitude, and it is nice to know that we are achieving that compromise by hearing that you felt pleased with the service that we provided during your stay.

regarding the inconvenients that occurred during your stay, please rest assured that we will work in the areas we need to improve in order to ensured that all our customers have memorable experiences like you did.

Thank you so much again for sharing your feedback, and we hope that you could give us the opportunity to assist you once again near in the future to exceed your expectations as all our guests deserve.

Jesús Garcia.

There are newer reviews for Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa

Reviewed February 8, 2014

We visited the Sunscape with a group of 17 people the last week in January. The weather was in the mid 80's everyday. This is always a guarantee when you go to this location - everyday is the same.

We had 4 kids in our group from the age of 9 to 16 years. The older kids really enjoyed the Entertainment Team - Charlie Brown and the others. They played beach volleyball twice a day. They would also play basketball, water volleyball, bingo. The kids were always doing something either with the Entertainment Team or off on their own. My 9 year spent one day in the Explorer Club which is for younger kids. She really had a good time. The swim up bar states for adults only but we never had a problem with our kids being there. I know in other reviews of the Barceló this was a complaint there so that is why we choose the Sunscape.

Hotel - all workers were very friendly and did a great job!!! We had been to this resort back in 2007 - and if Simon and Jorge didn't remember us. They said welcome home which was really neat to hear. It is also neat to see a lot of the same workers still with the resort which must mean they treat their workers well. The elevators are an issue. We didn't have a problem but held our breathe each time we got in. We were on the 20th floor so steps weren't an option for us. If you have neighbors you can hear at times what is going on. It never bothered us but my son received a call at midnight that his TV was too loud. He had the TV at volume 10 which is nothing. The view from the 20th floor was wonderful - listening to the waves each night was so relaxing. The cleaning people did a great job with the rooms each day and did it in a timely manner.

Food - There is buffet in the morning and some evenings. If the Mexican night or beach night was going on then the buffet was closed. The specialty restaurants are not always open so plan ahead - the Italian do not allow kids so we did not go. There is 24 hours room service which has a variety of food. We did go across the street a few nights for supper which was wonderful. The only complaint would be that men cannot wear sleeveless shirts for breakfast and lunch. This was the first resort that would not allow this. Women can wear whatever they want though. I can understand for supper but not breakfast or lunch because those are the times you are headed to the pool or beach.

Seats - we had someone in our group get up at 5:30am each day. She would go down and reserve chairs for us. She would have to stay there until 7am and then they would write the location number down along with your name and that was your spot for the day. Seating is tight but the resort does there best with the area they have. There were a few days we didn't get a spot because no one went down early. It was fine because you spent most time in the pool and you could leave your stuff along side the pool area.

Overall a wonderful spot for family's. The biggest thing is the weather - you cannot beat it!!!

Room Tip: The higher your room the better the view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Pat K
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, Director General at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear Pat K,

On behalf of Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa staff and my own I would like to thank you for sharing a review about your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

It is so nice to know that you and your family enjoyed the resort and that you always found something to do here.I would like to mention that all members of our staff are fully committed to provide an excellent service with a kind and respectful attitude to satisfy the needs of our guests.

Once again, thank you so much for your kind comments, we hope to have the honor of welcoming you back again to this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Hotel is in a great location where you can walk to local restaurants and shops right across the street. The property is not new however it is well maintained. Loved the no wristband policy and no reservations at the restaurants. Service was very good and the food was good. The staff was very friendly and were eager to please. All the rooms have balconies and the hotel was generally pretty quite. Our only issue was it was difficult to know who was an employee and who was a timeshare sales person.

1  Thank KelownaRussells
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear KelownaRussells,

Thank you so much for taking a couple of minutes of your time to write a nice comment of us on TripAdvisor. We are so glad to know that you had a wonderful vacation at our resort.

Also, I would like to take advantage of this opportunity to thank you for your support to our destination Ixtapa Zihuatanejo, we really appreciate your visit.

We are looking forward to have you back at this your home away from home, Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

Jesús García

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I went to this hotel with friends the last week of January 2014. Really nice place. You don't need to do reservations for restaurants. Don't need also a golf cart as the site is not big and we loved that. As you will not have 2000 customers in this place, you don't have to wait in line for food or drinks. Friendly staff. Good food. Wifi everywhere even outside.

Tips : if you are a group of 5 or more, for the italian restaurant, go there at the opening. If not, you will wait 2 hours and have a bad service (experience here...). They have mostly only tables for 2 or 4 but if you are 6, you will wait. So split the group or go early.

On the beach, for a palapas, you must "reserve" your chairs at 7h00 am (towels on chairs). Security can ask you for your room number. We hate this kind of thing but if you want a good place on the beach (like in the majority of hotels), you must "reserve" a place early. I still don't understand why people "reserve" chairs but you never see them in the day. Hope hotels will find a solution for that situation one day...

Don't use the spa. Found it too expensive.

If you're looking for a good hotel with friendly staff, not too big, not too much people (not a tourist factory...), good food, secure and not to far of an airport, this place is a good choice.

Room Tip: Higher floors for view
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank CYBERnard00

Dear CYBERnard00 ,

I would like to start my response by thanking you for taking the time to write a review about us on TripAdvisor,it is very nice to read that you had a great stay and enjoyed our services.

Sharing your comments on this Social Network is very important for us because you provide us with important information that helps us to improve our service. Rest assured that we are working to improve the areas that you mentioned.

Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to be part of your holiday and this memorable experience, we hope to have the honor of welcoming you back at this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

This hotel because it is not a resort should not be all inclusive. The space is too small to fit all those people. The food is so bad they should skip the afternoon and evening buffet and just stick to breakfast. The pool area is nice but not big enough to serve all those people that drink all day and never use the bathrooms if you know what I mean. The restaurants are better but if you are a big eater order everything on the menu. The towel situation by the pool is out of control. You have to wake up at six to get a chair or take the towels to your room the night before which by the way it is not supposed to be happening. Leave the towels by the pool they are not your property. Over all we will not stay at this place again. The staff will forget you are there if you stay more than seven days. They look for the ones that are still white and not red like lobsters. Thank you for listening and have a great day. Oh the maid service not that great either. One of the people there had a bloody nose and the next day and the following day the blood was still there.

3  Thank vasilikichios

Dear vasilikichios,

We are really sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and know that our accommodations were not of your complete satisfaction. We have guests that visit us from all different parts of the world, so we do understand that not always our hotel would be their choice of preference, however we do our best in order to have satisfied clients.

I do apologize for the details that you have mentioned about our service. Please, rest assured that these ones will be taken into consideration to improve day after day.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa on a future occasion.

Jesús García

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I really don't know where all the good reviews came from?? Some of the staff was amazing and the others were horrible! My husband and I went to this resort with our six kids. We arrived an hour and a half past check in, one of the rooms wasn't ready and the check in time was about 45min with only four other groups in front of us. The rooms were fairly nice, definately clean. Now on to the food…. The seafood restaurant could not accommodate a table for us even though we said we would be happy to wait. The *Mexican Restaurant* isn't a restaurant but rather a banquet room; it did have entertainment which was nice. I wasn't impressed the the Mole Chicken only had one large onion in the pan and no chicken, it wasn't that busy. The Gohan, we walked out after it took quite a long time to serve. Each one of us ordered just one role and a couple of our kids ordered chowmein which two of them didn't even get it. The other two kids got their food about 10 minutes before the rest of us. We went over the the buffet after….. The beach and pool area was very nice and well kept. The problem their was the towels, multi times not being able to get any towels or eight. My daughter was told after twice after trying to get a towel by one of the attendants that this is Mexican time not American, ouch….. I think the one thing this resort could do it stop handing out the clip boards every time you eat to fill out a comment sheet, that got annoying…. One night our daughters and son went to the night club and was being very heavily bothered by a random guy whom we've never seen and never did again. We really don't think he was from the resort. He wanted to dance with one of our daughters constantly bugging her and really creeping her out. Then the bartender got involved by trying to convince our daughter to dance with him. From there our son went to the front desk and asked for security because it was getting out of hand; they never did come. Our kids went to their room and ordered room service. Checking out a bit better than checking in until we went to go board the bus and discovered that one of our rooms got tickets to board the bus but the other two didn't; now boarding the bus was a problem!…. Overall I would not go back, there are many other resorts we've been to and very much enjoyed. I did have a very nice conversation with the concierge, I believe her name was Sandra. She was very accommodating and and sweet, I thanked her for that.

Room Tip: Maybe stay away from the higher floors. The elevators are slow and most often one of them is broke d...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Shauna D
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Dear Shauna D,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback about your visit on TripAdvisor. We are really sorry to hear that our service was not of your complete satisfaction. Please accept our most sincere apologies for all the inconvenients that you experienced during your stay. It is puzzling to know that you would not consider our resort for another stay. I am doing a meticulous research of each situation that you mentioned and rest assured that we will take corrective actions in order to avoid these issues to happen again.

Thank you so much again for your review, it will help us to improve our service day after day.

We wish to have the opportunity to assist you once again to make amends on the first impression that you had about us.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I was the one who crashed 6 floors in the elevator to the concrete bottom in the hotel of Sunscape Dorado Pacifico in Ixtapa, Mexico on Tuesday, Jan. 21, 2014. I have read a few reviews about it. We stayed a week there, on the 2nd day, my husband and I and 4 other people got stuck in the elevator for about 10 min. You could hear the elevators constantly not working due to the bell ringing sound. Then 2 days later, I, solo was coming from the 21st floor or top floor down to the lobby floor using the glass elevator, I only pushed one button-lobby and I was the only one using it at the time, no one joined me as it went down, when at about the 14th floor, it started to go somewhat faster and then crashed pasted the lobby to the lower concrete floor making a very loud noise and causing me to fall to the floor inside the elevator leaving me stuck inside it. I hit the floor hard and hit my elbow and left shoulder quite hard and fell on my back. It stunned me and the staff, as they came running over due to the loud noise. Michelle came to investigate too-the concierge along with other staff members.They tried to get the doors open, but it was below the lobby floor, so they managed to manually move the elevator up past the lobby about 6 inches, so the doors still wouldn't open. They could see me through the glass because all four elevators have 3 walls that are glass. The Apple representative, Elias motioned for me to stay calm and later to help pry the doors open from the inside as they pried them open from the outside. The doors opened about half way. I stepped out and they asked if I was ok. I said my arm hurts and I think I was think I was in shock. I walked outside to the bar to ask for a cup of ice and put that on my elbow area as it hurt. After about 10-15 of icing I sat in the shade and Laura-one of the hotel staff members came to see if I was ok, I was very upset and said I wanted to go back to my room, but I was afraid to use the elevators and didn't know where the stairs were, so she kindly walked with me up the stairs to the top floor or 21st floor. My husband was fishing with friends and came back to find me in the room and he wanted an accident report filed. So we went to the Elias, he said he reported it and also that Laura was going to report it. Laura did mention that formal incident reports were not filed unless there is a broken bone or bleeding. My husband wanted it on file in case I had other future medical issues. They did ask if I wanted to see a doctor there, but I declined as I thought I bruised the bone in my elbow, not broke it, as I was aware what that felt like because I did break by elbow many years ago. I took Advil for 2 days and it was less sore.Left me with a bruise on my elbow.
I asked to be moved to a lower floor because I wasn't going to use those elevators any more or travel to the 21st floor to my room every time. They moved us to the 11th floor with 2 double beds one night and then to the lowest floor-the 10th floor the next night with a king bed. They sent flowers to the room and a bottle of wine and we received a letter of apology from the manager, Jesus, apologizing for the elevator incident. I'm not sure why in some of the reviews it states that a formal incident report wasn't filed when we were told it was twice and the manager has to be aware of it because he sent us a letter of apology. I would have appreciated more, like a visit from the manager. I do expect that those beautiful, glass elevators should be inspected by a professional and or replaced with functioning and efficient elevators, not fixed by their local workers, which it looked like when they were trying to fix it on Sat. when we were leaving-my husband tried to take a picture of it, it looked like they were inspecting the belt of the elevator, but when the workers saw him taking pictures, they left the elevator area. That elevator elevator was shut down after by incident, leaving 3 to use. When checking out, we also reported the incident as our comment section too. I thought we would have received more compensation as it did put a dark cloud over the trip. As for the staff and facility, it was excellent-we had great service, food was excellent and the people were very friendly.
The night time activities were ok, nothing to brag about. We did feel somewhat conflicted with the concierge service as Michelle and Edna and another worker asked us about 5 or 6 times if we wanted to come to a meeting to buy a membership to Amstar-or a discount off of 6 hotels to use when vacationing. Some people there bought into it, but they had very different prices they paid for it, from $30,000 to $8,000 for a 10-20 year membership with various features-you nogotiated it with them. I thought this was a conflict of interest-when you go to the concierge-you expect to go there to get information and service, not for a sales pitch-I don't think they should have both jobs and they also had a Trip Advisor logo too, so it may be 3 jobs?
They only way I would stay there again is if they would show me documentation that they had the elevators professionally inspected and or replaced by the official elevator company. I did enjoy the beaches, pool, services, but was disappointed by how they handle the elevator incident.

Room Tip: On the 10th floor, we heard a lot of silverware rattling early in the morning and it woke my husband...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
21  Thank Ann M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixtapa
Hotel Irma
Barcelo Ixtapa
Barcelo Ixtapa
#3 of 22 in Ixtapa
Holiday Inn Resort Ixtapa

Been to Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa? Share your experiences!